Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sharingwisdom

Americans Killed by Cops Now Outnumber Americans Killed in Iraq War

https://filmingcops.com/2013/11/13/a...led-by-police/
    excerpt
    Cops have killed well over 5000 Americans since 9/11. Many of these killings have occurred during no-knock raids, which have risen by 4000%.

The police are getting paid with our money to go on shooting sprees and they are killing more of us than the terrorists from whom they “protect” us. In fact, you are eight times more likely to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist.

As of 2010 the compared data lifted from Cato’s NPMSRP shows that the reports of police committing sexual assault amounted to more than two times the reports in the entire general population.

If officer-involved killings were prosecuted as murder the murder rate for law enforcement officers would exceed the general population murder rate by at least 472%. And these are only the reported incidents. The vast majority of police misconduct and abuse is unreported. Who knows what the actual total is.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Re: Americans Killed by Cops Now Outnumber Americans Killed in Iraq War

If we could only legalize the possession of firearms in the U.S., so that ordinary citizens could protect themselves from the police (govt.); there would almost never be any police brutality or people getting murdered by the cops. If only guns were a protected right in this country, then there would be very few of these kinds of abuses on the part of the police/government.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sharingwisdom: View Post

https://filmingcops.com/2013/11/13/a...led-by-police/
    excerpt
    Cops have killed well over 5000 Americans since 9/11. Many of these killings have occurred during no-knock raids, which have risen by 4000%.

The police are getting paid with our money to go on shooting sprees and they are killing more of us than the terrorists from whom they “protect” us. In fact, you are eight times more likely to be killed by a cop than by a terrorist.

As of 2010 the compared data lifted from Cato’s NPMSRP shows that the reports of police committing sexual assault amounted to more than two times the reports in the entire general population.

If officer-involved killings were prosecuted as murder the murder rate for law enforcement officers would exceed the general population murder rate by at least 472%. And these are only the reported incidents. The vast majority of police misconduct and abuse is unreported. Who knows what the actual total is.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    If we could only legalize the possession of firearms in the U.S., so that ordinary citizens could protect themselves from the police (govt.); there would almost never be any police brutality or people getting murdered by the cops. If only guns were a protected right in this country, then there would be very few of these kinds of abuses on the part of the police/government.
    ??? someone hijacked your account? This doesn't sound in character...

and anyway, we just saw an example of what police tactics are like when they think they're in the presence of someone with a gun. What do you envision, citizens taking down misbehaving cops a couple of times till they learn their lesson and act more courteously?? I think we have a rich history of how cops act when they feel they're in a threatening environment. It doesn't seem like a winning approach to increase their perceived threat level in hopes they'll act with more respect.

'course it could be that turkey renders me humor-impaired...

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Valley Oak

I was being facetious, which is very in character for me, but my sarcasm is often lost on folks (not their fault, though).

That said, I was ridiculing the fact that we DO have a Federal Constitution with a 2nd Amendment, clearly specifying that citizens have a right to bear arms. And since we do, the fallacy that this actually prevents police from acting like assholes simply doesn't work. Sure, there might be a few instances here and there where it does make a difference but it pales in comparison to hard statistics from all other post-industrialized democracies around the world. The U.S. is the huge, primitive exception (the pro-gun culture is primitive, not the entire USA).

But the Pro-gun nuts, despite countless shootings such as Sandy Hook and the Colorado Movie Theater, and many more, these pro-gun fanatics continue to squawk at the top of their lungs as if we needed a 2nd Amendment, as if the 2nd Amendment didn't already exist. It is sheer lunacy. And that this would make a difference, and that this is what we need to solve our problems of police violence. The foolishness is mind-boggling.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    ??? someone hijacked your account? This doesn't sound in character...

and anyway, we just saw an example of what police tactics are like when they think they're in the presence of someone with a gun. What do you envision, citizens taking down misbehaving cops a couple of times till they learn their lesson and act more courteously?? I think we have a rich history of how cops act when they feel they're in a threatening environment. It doesn't seem like a winning approach to increase their perceived threat level in hopes they'll act with more respect.

'course it could be that turkey renders me humor-impaired...

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    occihoff

Stunning, Edward! But where do these statistics come from? And isn't it already possible for most people to own firearms? Even get a license to carry them on one's person? And I must take exception to your call for more armed citizens. I've heard that the US is way beyond Europe in regard to gun ownership, and yet our rate of killings and gunshot wounds is also higher. I've heard that many Europeans look at our gun culture as puzzling and bizarre. Is this true? Increasing the prevalence of citizen owned firearms would also tend to increase the paranoia and trigger-happiness of police, don't you think? It seems that even toy guns appear to freak out some cops!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    arthunter

This came in on FaceBook today and I thought that it was relevant ... only cops can change their behavior ... are they going to support a government if they know that this government is corrupt? ... this young lady asks some interesting questions ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsN-P5abVg

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    handy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    This came in on FaceBook today and I thought that it was relevant ... only cops can change their behavior ... are they going to support a government if they know that this government is corrupt? ... this young lady asks some interesting questions ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsN-P5abVg
    This Should Be REQUIRED VIEWING for EVERY Cop, Everywhere!

This young lady has more leadership quality in her little finger than any ObamaPelosiBoehnerMcCainBushRied clusterf*ck could dream of.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #8
    podfish

(re: the video above)

This is about as patronizing a way to treat the subject as I can imagine. If she/you think that these ideas have never crossed the minds of almost every officer, you must live in a world of cartoon people.
    I'm (mildly) curious to hear from any LEO on this board, did you actually have a class that addressed these topics during your training?
    there's actually a term for these topics. It's called "ethics" and shockingly enough people who you don't agree with still may have thought about what their ethics should be.

(disclaimer - none of this has anything to do with what I personally think of the ethical standards that are considered normal for our society, much less of law enforcement or politicians. It's instead a reaction to the self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-important approach used in this video).

16. TopTop #9
    handy

(re: the video above)

This is about as patronizing a way to treat the subject as I can imagine. If she/you think that these ideas have never crossed the minds of almost every officer, you must live in a world of cartoon people.
    I think that, maybe 50 years ago, these ideas may have crossed the minds of almost every officer, but today, that kind of ethical thoughtfulness is filtered out early in the hiring process. We DO live in a world of cartoon people; they're commonly referred to as "sheeple". They make many excuses to justify their willingness to be shorn, but rarely give thought to what happens when the "farmer" gets hungry.

I'm (mildly) curious to hear from any LEO on this board, did you actually have a class that addressed these topics during your training?
    I'm Very curious to hear the answer to this question!

there's actually a term for these topics. It's called "ethics" and shockingly enough people who you don't agree with still may have thought about what their ethics should be.
    If one actually lives by the Principle of Non-Aggression and the Golden Rule, one need not worry about what their ethics "should be".

(disclaimer - none of this has anything to do with what I personally think of the ethical standards that are considered normal for our society, much less of law enforcement or politicians. It's instead a reaction to the self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-important approach used in this video).
    I call utter BS! It has precisely to do with what you personally think of the ethical standards that are considered normal for our society, otherwise you'd not have personally spent the time and effort to respond. Don't try to weasel out of it, after expressing such a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-important reaction. Looks to me as though she touched a nerve...

This young lady took the time and effort to produce a fairly tight, straightforward and concise presentation. The fact that there are young people who can still think these matters through and present their thoughts in such a coherent manner does inspire some hope for the future, especially since you and I are probably too old and set in our ways to be much help.

She has a couple more, if you're interested:

On Being An Outlaw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZC98kOtec

Why Good People Should Be Armed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM

Enjoy.

Best regards,

17. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

18. TopTop #10
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by handy: View Post
    I think that, maybe 50 years ago, these ideas may have crossed the minds of almost every officer, but today,
    that's got a lot of "stay off my lawn!" in it.. the cops I know from that era engaged in a lot of behaviors that were considered normal enough then but count (legitimately so) as police brutality now.
    If one actually lives by the Principle of Non-Aggression and the Golden Rule, one need not worry about what their ethics "should be".
    ok, so you've just pitched a standard for ethics and claim it's universal. Maybe so..

Quote I call utter BS! It has precisely to do with what you personally think of the ethical standards that are considered normal for our society, otherwise you'd not have personally spent the time and effort to respond. Don't try to weasel out of it, after expressing such a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-important reaction. Looks to me as though she touched a nerve...
    not at all. I don't deny that I'll indulge in SR/HTT/SIRs postings and when I do I'll wear it. Either I didn't mean to and deserve having it pointed out, or I'm doing it deliberately so go ahead and challenge it - ideally by pointing out why my positions are wrong.

Here, though, I'm simply offended by her implication that cops are, to use your term, either 'sheeple' or are already evil. It seems either arrogant or foolish, or both, I suppose, to write off others as essentially unthinking pawns. Not to say we ALL can't be caught acting without thinking on occasion, maybe too many occasions. That doesn't justify a blanket condemnation of whole groups as less thoughtful than oneself. You may have noticed that few things get me to spend time posting than challenging what is fundamentally elitist prejudice. It's so closely related to dehumanizing those who don't share some enlightened point of view that I don't see any other way to describe it. And especially when those indulging in that perspective feel that they've got the moral high ground, I find it hard to take.

so compared to that, my own feelings about what a cop should do when asked to bust someone for violating a law the cop himself doesn't support aren't all that interesting even to me. I'm way more interested in why people have so little tendency to be self-reflective and so strong a tendency to project attitudes on others.

19. TopTop #11
    arthunter

I actually think that our brave cops are between a rock and a hard place ... and I doubt that they cover issues such as justifiable disobedience in the police academies, except to warn against it ...

Tyranny in America? ... well what do you call widespread surveillance without warrants, jailing whistle-blowers, silencing the press, infiltrating activist groups, passing laws which enable torture and killing without due process, passing laws which enable economic sabotage by banks and corporations, and of course the destruction of the environment in spite of widespread protest, ... need I go on?

This is going on globally and last week in Thailand the police took off their helmets and dropped their shields in solidarity with the protesters ... the same thing happened in Brazil ...

I agree with the young lady in the videos ... where do you draw the line? When do you look at reality and decide that you're being used to promote non-constitutional attacks on innocent people? ... These are important questions ....

I think that, maybe 50 years ago, these ideas may have crossed the minds of almost every officer, but today, that kind of ethical thoughtfulness is filtered out early in the hiring process. We DO live in a world of cartoon people; they're commonly referred to as "sheeple". They make many excuses to justify their willingness to be shorn, but rarely give thought to what happens when the "farmer" gets hungry.

I'm Very curious to hear the answer to this question!

I call utter BS! It has precisely to do with what you personally think of the ethical standards that are considered normal for our society, otherwise you'd not have personally spent the time and effort to respond. Don't try to weasel out of it, after expressing such a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, self-important reaction. Looks to me as though she touched a nerve...

This young lady took the time and effort to produce a fairly tight, straightforward and concise presentation. The fact that there are young people who can still think these matters through and present their thoughts in such a coherent manner does inspire some hope for the future, especially since you and I are probably too old and set in our ways to be much help.

She has a couple more, if you're interested:

On Being An Outlaw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZC98kOtec

Why Good People Should Be Armed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM

Enjoy.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 12-05-2013 at 12:26 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #12
    rossmen

Re: Americans Killed by Cops Now Outnumber Americapns Killed in Iraq War

the most interesting thing i know about law enforcement officers is that they are selected for average intelligence. this has been litigated to the highest level and been affirmed as in our best interest. a boring job best suited to those who simply follow the rules. consider the latest employment process for sonoma county correctional officers. 17 openings with 700 applicants. there is no shortage of people willing to take these well paid jobs. don't believe the institutional story. we as a society are at choice to pick those who deal with people who have caused harm. how important is this role? do we want to cap their intelligence?

I actually think that our brave cops are between a rock and a hard place ... and I doubt that they cover issues such as justifiable disobedience in the police academies, except to warn against it ...

Tyranny in America? ... well what do you call widespread surveillance without warrants, jailing whistle-blowers, silencing the press, infiltrating activist groups, passing laws which enable torture and killing without due process, passing laws which enable economic sabotage by banks and corporations, and of course the destruction of the environment in spite of widespread protest, ... need I go on?

This is going on globally and last week in Thailand the police took off their helmets and dropped their shields in solidarity with the protesters ... the same thing happened in Brazil ...

I agree with the young lady in the videos ... where do you draw the line? When do you look at reality and decide that you're being used to promote non-constitutional attacks on innocent people? ... These are important questions ....

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #13
    arthunter

Re: Americans Killed by Cops Now Outnumber Americapns Killed in Iraq War

Interesting point, rossmen ... but then again I know two law enforcement officers personally .. one is a Sebastopol cop and the other is a member of the sheriff's department ... both officers are very intelligent, above average I'd say ...

I think that performance has more to do with personal survival ... feeding one's family, etc. ... I just posted to another forum which was discussing mind control ... here's my comment ....

"I'm beginning to think that the most widespread form of mind control has to do with money ... just impoverish a nation and then you can buy people ... people will do anything if they're hungry or about to be homeless ..."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    the most interesting thing i know about law enforcement officers is that they are selected for average intelligence. this has been litigated to the highest level and been affirmed as in our best interest. a boring job best suited to those who simply follow the rules. consider the latest employment process for sonoma county correctional officers. 17 openings with 700 applicants. there is no shortage of people willing to take these well paid jobs. don't believe the institutional story. we as a society are at choice to pick those who deal with people who have caused harm. how important is this role? do we want to cap their intelligence?

24. TopTop #14
    arthunter

a related video ...

this is about guns and the second amendment but the implications go beyond that ... it's really about local law enforcement deciding to refuse federal orders to overthrow the constitution .... it seems that they have that right ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQnTPdIn9I

25. TopTop #15
    arthunter

and another related story: ( I wonder if this would ever happen in America )

https://www.thrivemovement.com/when-...me-allies.blog

a related video ...

this is about guns and the second amendment but the implications go beyond that ... it's really about local law enforcement deciding to refuse federal orders to overthrow the constitution .... it seems that they have that right ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQnTPdIn9I

26. Gratitude expressed by: