Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    boB Phelps

Does Sebastopol really support veterans, particularly on Veterans Day

As a hard working Vietnam veteran, residing in Sebastopol, I decided to test the true efforts of our community, to provide for Veterans on this special holiday. In a majority of the local towns, such as Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Windsor, Healdsburg, etc. there are not only special events, but discounts for meals, for veterans, who may be continuing to struggle, or who are merely being honored and appreciated for their sacrifices.

Last year I visited 3 eateries in Sebastopol, to inquire if they provided any of these similar discounts or special promotions for veterans, as I could see nothing advertised in our local circulations.

This year I did the same thing, visiting 3 different, well known establishments. Again, I reviewed the local newspapers, such as the PD and Sonoma West Times & News. The results were surprisingly disappointing. What I found is that, other than the site of flags, flying all over town, there is no special consideration for vets, on their day. Not one establishment I visited had any intention of special appreciation discounts for veterans.

As far as I'm concerned, flags are merely lip service for making a true effort to provide something for our vets. A poor, hungry vet, can't subsist on flags. My disappointment, in the failure of our community, to truly support veterans, needed to be shared.
    Last edited by Katherine Spiering; 11-12-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    handy

Re: Does Sebastopol really support veterans, particularly on Veterans Day

Bob,
    As another VietNam veteran (June '67 - April '69), I can understand your feelings of disappointment, but over time, I have taken the opposite tack.

The origin on Veterans' Day was in Armistice Day. After the end of WWI, the war to end all wars, we celebrated the End of War. With Veterans' Day we have morphed into a celebration and glorification of war.

I had no plans to recognize the holiday originally, but since my daughter was going to be in the Petaluma parade (Sonoma County Calender Girls riding with the Vets in 'Vettes), the wife and I decided to go.

It was like watching an hour+ of straight commercials. The first half was devoted to advertising (glorifying) military service, followed by advertising of the local politicians, with local businesses getting to advertise themselves last. We left feeling that the time could have been better spent gardening.

Never while in VietNam did I ever perform an act which had anything to do with protecting the freedoms of anybody, anywhere. Nothing any of 'our' troops are doing in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc, has anything to do with protecting the freedoms of anybody, anywhere.

When I received my draft notice/order to report in early '66, I had a wonderful relationship with my father. He was a WWII Navy vet, and I felt that if I went conscientious objector or went to Canada, it would probably destroy that relationship. So I went. It is still the primary decision in my life of which I am ashamed.

For draftees, I can feel a degree of sympathy. For volunteer mercenaries, no sympathy at all. They deserve what they get.

So, Thank You, Sebastopol, for putting "veterans' day" on ignore. Thank you for refusing to feed the Beast.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by boB Phelps: View Post
    As a hard working Vietnam veteran, residing in Sebastopol, I decided to test the true efforts of our community, to provide for Veterans on this special holiday. In a majority of the local towns, such as Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Windsor, Healdsburg, etc. there are not only special events, but discounts for meals, for veterans, who may be continuing to struggle, or who are merely being honored and appreciated for their sacrifices.

Last year I visited 3 eateries in Sebastopol, to inquire if they provided any of these similiar discounts or special promotions for veterans, as I could see nothing advertised in our local circulations. This year I did the same thing, visiting 3 different, well known establishments. Again, I reviewed the local newspapers, such as the PD and Sonoma West Times & News. The results were surprisingly disappointing. What I found is that, other than the site of flags, flying all over town, there is no special consideration for vets, on their day. Not one establishment I visited had any intention of special appreciation discounts for veterans. As far as I'm concerned, flags are merely lip service for making a true effort to provide something for our vets. A poor, hungry vet, can't subsist on flags. My disappointment, in the failure of our community, to truly support veterans, needed to be shared

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    podfish

Re: Does Sebastopol really support veterans, particularly on Veterans Day

Quote Posted in reply to the post by handy: View Post
    For draftees, I can feel a degree of sympathy. For volunteer mercenaries, no sympathy at all. They deserve what they get.... Thank you for refusing to feed the Beast.
    I agree with the 'feed the beast' sentiment. I'm less inclined to be so critical of those who volunteered because of the power and scale of the machine that seduced and absorbed them. I don't think most people accept the premise that protecting 'the rest of us' really isn't a big part of the purpose of the military. But I do think that the reverence (shallow or even fake, as Bob noticed) is pretty weird. It's probably due to the end of the draft and the guilt of those who let others go off to war in their place, and to memories of the mostly-apocryphal accusations of 'baby killer' servicemen faced then.

6. Gratitude expressed by: