Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hawaiianiris

Percy needs a new home asap - HOME WAS FOUND!

UPDATE: PERCY HAS FOUND A NEW HOME - THANKS!

Hi- I am placing this ad for my friend Marjorie Davis. She and her family are desperately trying to find a family for their beloved dogfriend Percy- who is a 7 yr old- 80lb Male Newfoundland... Marjorie Davis started and is still very active running Wildlife Fawn Rescue, she has been doing fawn rescue for almost 50 years and at the age of 92 she still rescues fawn all over sonoma county almost on a daily basis. This is truly the most inspirational and amazing woman I have ever met. I would love for us to help her find Percy a home. I am going to copy the letter she gave me to share here and if you can help in any way that would be great.
    Thank you
    Janice

Hi,
    This is a strange note from me, since I specialize in fawns only. I am desperately trying to find a home for a family dog. I can't give up on Percy. How do you tell a dog he has lost his home?

A member of our family is stricken with Alzheimer's Disease and we must find a home for her pet immediately. Percy is a loving, friendly male, who needs a home with caring adults. He has been with his owner since he was a puppy and has never been with children. He is friendly with other animals.

Percy is healthy, licensed, neutered, has all his current shots, is micro-chipped, house broken. His life has been spent indoors with his owner and outdoors in a large fenced back yard.

We do not want to place percy in an animal shelter where he would live in a cage for perhaps a long time because the public cannot afford the adoption fees. Percy is free to the right owner. He comes from a loving home and deserves another loving home. Maybe you know of someone who will take Percy very soon.

Please call me, days, at 707-833-6727 or call Joelle, After 4pm at 707-539-3630

Thank you for caring. Please pass the word.

Marjorie Davis
    Last edited by Barry; 09-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Quidonyx

Re: Percy needs a new home asap - 7yr old Newfoundland

Hi Janice,

Any chance that we could get a photo of Percy?

Pat Wilson
    Last edited by Barry; 09-20-2013 at 10:48 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hello, This is a picture of my mother’s dog Percy. She is ill with Alzheimer's disease and Percy needs a home fast. I was told someone sent his information and all they needed was a photo.
    Here is some additional information:

Percy
    We need a new home for seven year old Percy. His owner has Alzheimer's disease and can no longer take care of him. He is a well loved dog that needs a new owner to give him a forever home.
    He is a Newfoundland mix who was adopted from Sonoma County animal shelter 7 years ago. He is 90 lbs. He is neutered and is updated on all his shots. He just has a healthy check-up from his vet. He has a microchip, and is potty trained.

He has had only one owner who was an elderly woman. He was a great watch dog and good companion for her. He has never been around children, so it is recommend that his new family is adults only and older children since that is what he is use to. He likes both men and women. When he isn't use to someone that visits his home he may bark and growl at them until he gets to know them but has never been aggressive in any other way. He is protective over his area he lives in.

He gets along and enjoys other dogs when we go to dog parks. He likes to try and smell cats but has never lived with them. It is unknown how he will do with living with a cat. He has never been aggressive toward cats, he just is curious about them. If he is trying to smell them and they run he may want to run after them.

Since Percy has only been with one elderly owner whom has dementia, he lacks a few dogs skills. He is perfect for a dog loving family who can teach him new skills.

He loves walks but is not leash trained and pulls. He has to have a strong owner to hold on to him. On walks he has been "spooked" by loud noises twice and when the owner let go of the leash he ran all the way home.
    Thank you for showing an interest on Percy.

Owners daughter- Joelle Eufusia

[Reply Privately for this post if you want to contact Joelle - Barry]

4. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Many people may be reluctant to adopt a dog that's not leash trained. Even a strong person dislikes being pulled by a dog. This means that the dog is in control of the human.

I recommend that all dog owners who have problems with their dogs, watch Cesar Milan work with various dogs on National Geographic. His DVDs would be helpful, and he shares many solutions online. He's also invented a new type of dog collar called the "Ilusion" collar.

His training method is Exercise, Discipline, and Affection", in that order. This man "trains people, and rehabilitates dogs". He's done some incredible work, using these methods, traveling the world.

I'm aware that there is some controversy on his methods, but that's true of any leader.

I've watched many of his shows, and yesterday when he was visiting a shelter with 350 dogs, he was told that one of the dogs was so agressive that he hadn't been out of the cage in 7 years! This was a fairly small to medium size mixed breed. Cesar went into the cage with the snarling dog, and dropped a leash around his neck. The dog continued to bark, while Cesar stood calmly nearby. After a few minutes, he picked the dog up, and took him to a small exercise pool at the facility. (This would be a blessing for any shelter to have.) He went into the water, with the dog still on the leash, and put the dog's hind legs in first. Then he allowed the dog to swim around for awhile. The dog seemed very happy to have this experience.

The program didn't show any more about the dog, but I'm thinking that being free after 7 years in prison, may have had a positive influence on his behavior, especially if the volunteers and staff continue to use Cesar's training methods. This was a dog that previously had no chance of adoption,
    simply because no one knew what to do about his aggression.

Cesar has a new program called "Leader of the Pack", which focuses on dog adoptions.
    So many dogs end up in shelters because people don't have the knowledge of how to train them, and just give up on them.

I hope that Percy gets a new, loving home with someone who's willing to study and use Cesar's methods (or some method) to train him to walk on a leash, rather than letting him be the "pack leader", and pull his new owner around. The time involved will be worth it.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    He loves walks but is not leash trained and pulls. He has to have a strong owner to hold on to him.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Marty M

Hello All,

We (my dog and I) took the County Wide Dog Training classes in Santa Rosa. They use a reward good behavior system. No choke or prong collars allowed in class. They teach the owner how to work with their dog. That there's a difference between a good, loving dog who doesn't obey and a good, loving dog who does obey. That the dog isn't a bad dog, he/she just hasn't been taught what is acceptable behavior. I really learned allot. I highly recommend them and they were affordable.

We started with the beginning class and now my dog has her Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog Certificate. Which means she can go into schools, the "read to a dog" library program, hospitals, nursing homes etc.

I add that when I read this post I noticed that Percy is a 90 lb. dog who pulls on the leash. Well for me that would mean a "dislocated shoulder" before I could get him trained. Percy sounds like a loving wonderful dog, I wish him the best in finding a new home.

Marty

6. TopTop #6
    Shandi

Marty, thanks so much for this information. Training can make such a difference, and be a guard against that dog being placed in a shelter, or if he is, he will be much more adoptable.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Marty M: View Post
    Hello All,

We (my dog and I) took the County Wide Dog Training classes in Santa Rosa. They use a reward good behavior system. No choke or prong collars allowed in class. They teach the owner how to work with their dog. That there's a difference between a good, loving dog who doesn't obey and a good, loving dog who does obey. That the dog isn't a bad dog, he/she just hasn't been taught what is acceptable behavior. I really learned allot. I highly recommend them and they were affordable.

We started with the beginning class and now my dog has her Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog Certificate. Which means she can go into schools, the "read to a dog" library program, hospitals, nursing homes etc.

I add that when I read this post I noticed that Percy is a 90 lb. dog who pulls on the leash. Well for me that would mean a "dislocated shoulder" before I could get him trained. Percy sounds like a loving wonderful dog, I wish him the best in finding a new home.

Marty

7. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Percy needs a new home asap - HOME WAS FOUND!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hawaiianiris: View Post
    A member of our family is stricken with Alzheimer's Disease and we must find a home for her pet immediately. Percy is a loving, friendly male, who needs a home with caring adults.
    I've been informed that Percy has found a new home!

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #8
    Shandi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I've been informed that Percy has found a new home!

Wonderful news!

10. TopTop #9
    AbigailFerris

YAYE!! Hope that's working out for everyone :)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Wonderful news!