Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Carrillo Case Delayed By Prosecutor Until October 11

I went to Carrillo's court hearing this morning but I missed it by a few minutes., I was informed by someone from our community (Sonoma County) who was there and saw the whole thing. Carrillo sat in his chair for less than one minute before it was over, and he got up and left the courtroom with his attorney. The prosecution delayed the hearing to October 11. It was the very first case heard, and heard promptly at 8:30am sharp. The Carrillo cabal was very well prepared and had everything under control.

Now I'm wondering if any recall effort should be postponed until then or if we should go right ahead anyway. It is probably best to follow through with the recall effort as planned.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Carrillo Delays Until October 11

I'm amazed that the charging of Efren Carrillo has been delayed yet again, this time by request of the special prosecutor. What could be so complicated?

As I posted earlier, I am completely comfortable with plea bargain of guilty of prowling with a community service sentence and dropping the charges of burglary. However I feel that dropping the prowling charge would be a miscarriage of justice. It would be better to press the charge and have him be acquitted if the evidence is insufficient then to drop the charge and which would bring disgrace to the political/legal complex, while at least officially keeping Efren's resume unstained.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I'm amazed that the charging of Efren Carrillo has been delayed yet again, this time by request of the special prosecutor. What could be so complicated? ......
    Absolutely nothing would be too complicated if this had been a drunk Mexican in Roseland breaking into a sleeping woman's bedroom in his underwear. I'm totally disgusted.

6. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Valley Oak

In my opinion, your worthy observation is looking at things from a purely legal perspective, which is fine. But I would like to remind this debate (over Carrillo's scandal) that his obvious attempt to break into the poor woman's home and have sex with her, obviously non-consensual, is the most important issue. And for that alone he should resign or be recalled.

However drunken or testosterone induced, Carrillo's conduct is inexcusable and he should pay the consequences just like everyone else. Public office should be an example for the public, not an example of how elected officials don't have to answer to the same laws that are applied to the same, ordinary citizens they are supposed to be representing, and by whom they were elected. The responsibility of public office should not be one of privilege, impunity, and immunity to the same laws that apply to everyone else (and indeed, laws made by those same lawmakers). If anything, an elected officeholder should be held to a higher degree than everyone else, or at the very least be punished just like everyone else. This is also part of what a democracy needs to be, and not the other way around, which is what it looks like Carrillo is getting away with. Carrillo is in the same company as Nixon, Gingrich, and the others. And there are far too many to list.

One of the things that stands out most for me is the all-too-common theme that elected leaders make laws that everyone has to obey, except for the lawmakers who make them. What a Kafkaesque dynamic! It is a repulsive irony and democratic miscarriage that desperately and urgently needs correction. We have an opportunity and an obligation to correct this injustice locally with Carrillo's scandal.

Edward

I'm amazed that the charging of Efren Carrillo has been delayed yet again, this time by request of the special prosecutor. What could be so complicated?

As I posted earlier, I am completely comfortable with plea bargain of guilty of prowling with a community service sentence and dropping the charges of burglary. However I feel that dropping the prowling charge would be a miscarriage of justice. It would be better to press the charge and have him be acquitted if the evidence is insufficient then to drop the charge and which would bring disgrace to the political/legal complex, while at least officially keeping Efren's resume unstained.

8. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

9. TopTop #5
    sebastacat

I am not at all comfortable with dropping either the prowling charge NOR the burglary charge.
    And, most of all, I want the citizens of Sonoma County to have the opportunity to review the police
    report, the written transcripts of the two 9-1-1 calls and the summary of the evidence gathered by
    the sexual-assault unit.

I implore all citizens to speak out and demand that the tactics which were used to hush up the
    shameful San Diego incident (which, ironically, occurred last Labor Day weekend) not be used to
    shut out the public and hide the truth this time around.

The people of Sonoma County have a right to know what happened in the early morning of July 13, 2013, just as they had the right to know what happened down in San Diego last September -- but weren't given the opportunity because the police report and the surveillance tapes were sealed -- and a good starting point would be having made available to them the entirety of the results of the police investigation.

10. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

11. TopTop #6

So, it wasn't Efren's Lawyer, but the special prosecutor who asked for the delay? Interesting.
    I have a feeling that they may think they don't have a case that they can prove 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.
    Just a guess.
    Tom

12. TopTop #7
    Damien

Re: Carrillo Case Delayed By Prosecutor Until October 11

October 11 is another Holiday weekend. (Columbus Day) The prosecutor may be from Napa but the judges who are playing footsy with these characters are Sonoma County judges. Called the AGs office and talked to Jeanette
    who knew nothing about this miscreant. They are supposed to be supervising this shindig.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Edward was there, and he said in his post that the delay was at the request of Chris Andrian, Effen's attorney....

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    Valley Oak

Sara, I made a mistake. It was the prosecutor who asked for the delay. I got there late and someone else explained that to me.

Sorry,

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Edward was there, and he said in his post that the delay was at the request of Chris Andrian, Effen's attorney....

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    dominus

Or that other women have come forward and they need more time to prepare.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    So, it wasn't Efren's Lawyer, but the special prosecutor who asked for the delay? Interesting.
    I have a feeling that they may think they don't have a case that they can prove 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.
    Just a guess.
    Tom

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    sebastacat

For your information, the attorney standing next to Efren in the photograph on the Press Democrat's Web site is NOT Chris Andrian, but his law partner, Attorney Steve Gallenson.

Just wanted to clear that up for everyone.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    photolite

Interesting to discover that you reside in Carillo's brain.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    In my opinion, your worthy observation is looking at things from a purely legal perspective, which is fine. But I would like to remind this debate (over Carrillo's scandal) that his obvious attempt to break into the poor woman's home and have sex with her, obviously non-consensual, is the most important issue. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 08-31-2013 at 03:30 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

24. TopTop #13

This is taking on all the worst apects of an old fashioned lynch mob mentality. In an earlier post you falsely claimed that the delay in the proceedings was some kind of underhand maneuver on the part of Carillo's attorney (it was in fact requested by the prosecution). You suggested that Chris Andrian was trying to whitewash his client for political reasons. Now you throw out completely unsupported accusations regarding his intentions that night that in my opinion would justify an accusation of libel. From the few facts we have been told, about a torn window screen (which for all we know he may not have torn) and some odd behavior and garb, you have him obviously intending sexual assault? I know the modern fashion is to automatically believe any accusation brought by a woman against a man, but really even the putative victim in this case has not, as far as I know, suggested any such thing. This is a product of your feverish imagination.

Two of the bedrocks of our legal system are the presumption of innocence, and the right to a vigorous defense. It is in fact the job of a defense attorney to see that his client gets the best defense available to him (without presenting any evidence that he knows to be untrue). If he did less he would rightly be subject to censure. You might not like this, but I doubt you would want to live under a system that lacked this important right. I know from personal experience how actions that may be quite innocent can be represented as malicious by a skilled accuser. It is the job of a court, not a public forum, to decide which is the case here.

I am not defending Carillo or his actions, I am saying that like any person accused of a crime he is entitled to his rights no matter how obvious his guilt may be to you, and I would suggest that there is very little about this case that is obvious. We have only newspaper reports of what happened, and we have no way of knowing how accurate those reports may be, or what other facts may later emerge.

Another argument made here has been on the lines of "If he has an explanation for his actions why does he not tell us what it is?" Again, this is a person under criminal investigation. You expect him to lay out his defense in public before his trial? No competent defense attorney would allow him to do that, and any attorney that would should be fired.

I suggest we should all take a deep breath and realize that the world will not come to an end if we allow the process to take its proper course. Let us give Carillo the consideration due to any accused person and when all is done and whatever facts are going to be revealed are known, then will be the time to render our opinions.

And then you go on to drag Nixon and Gingrich into this? Is there no end to this insanity? The suggestion that this is a case of an official not being bound by the laws that he had a part in creating is absurd, and not even worth the time and effort to refute. I would suggest that if you want to be taken seriously you might rethink this part of your argument.

The political, as opposed to criminal, matter of his continuing to be a Supervisor, is of course another matter. If you feel it is worth the unheaval and expense of a recall, then by all means agitate for that. But let us leave out the unwarranted and unsupported accusations that you claim are so obvious.

Patrick Brinton

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    In my opinion, your worthy observation is looking at things from a purely legal perspective, which is fine. But I would like to remind this debate (over Carrillo's scandal) that his obvious attempt to break into the poor woman's home and have sex with her, obviously non-consensual, is the most important issue. And for that alone he should resign or be recalled....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-31-2013 at 03:32 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

26. TopTop #14
    tommy

My first thought was the delay is a precursor to it being dismissed. Isn't that what happened with the last incident in San Diego?

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #15
    meherc
    Supporting member

Yiou've got to be kidding. This shows that he is not being shown any favoritism. I was arrested in March and we're still going on and on about it, change the court , judge is on vacation, witness is sick, they don't feel like doing it. They secretly change hearing dates. So now, I'm scheduled for November for trial. and it's a nothing case. I guess someone has to make a living.

Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #16

Patrick,

Thank you so very much for so eloquently putting into words almost exactly what I was thinking of writing. The presumption of innocence, and the right to a vigorous defense being the two most important points.

...and who goes around their house every day checking their window screens? It could have been torn for months.

Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    This is taking on all the worst aspects of an old fashioned lynch mob mentality. In an earlier post you falsely claimed that the delay in the proceedings was some kind of underhand maneuver on the part of Carrillo's attorney (it was in fact requested by the prosecution). You suggested that Chris Andrian was trying to whitewash his client for political reasons. Now you throw out completely unsupported accusations regarding his intentions that night that in my opinion would justify an accusation of libel. From the few facts we have been told, about a torn window screen (which for all we know he may not have torn) and some odd behavior and garb, you have him obviously intending sexual assault? I know the modern fashion is to automatically believe any accusation brought by a woman against a man, but really even the putative victim in this case has not, as far as I know, suggested any such thing. This is a product of your feverish imagination....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #17
    peacetree

I know I am terribly disappointed in the assumptions of the right to convict and punish someone who has not even had a chance to defend himself yet. We ALL, in this country, have the right to presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (by a jury of our peers). Doesn't anyone recall ever having heard of this? I don't recall a Jury having been chosen , a court trial etc.No matter how you might have felt about this man prior to this incident, there is no justification for this terrible trial by innuendo .

It is actually really unbelievable to me to witness this horrific rush to judgment. Have none of you ever done & said something that you regret while impaired, that you would never have said or done otherwise? Have none of you ever been accused falsely, or had someone assume the worst of a situation that was unfairly seen??

It is really astonishing how little understanding the community at large seems to be about matters concerning either the law, or chemical dependency disease & treatment. For those of you unaware of it, there are meetings everyday all over our fair county for Alcoholics Anonymous ( for the Alcoholic) 707-544-1300 and Alanon( this is the support and treatment program for friends and family members of alcoholics) 707-575-6760 I strongly encourage folks our there who have not attended either of these programs to do so ASAP. THEY ARE FREE!!! You might call AA and ask to get listings for "open meetings" , which are for folks to be able to just come and get info, and ask questions. At the meetings of both groups there are many free pamphlets with comprehensive information available and all of the books are at cost only, as they are not for profit. In this way you might develop some education and understanding about this disease, and it's affects on the people affected by it, as clearly our schools have not been providing any accurate info that has been retained by most of the folks who have been so angry and quick to judge here.

I doubt we are entirely perfect as a group, or as individuals. I would guess that most of us have needed and wanted understanding, compassion, and forgiveness at some point in our lives for something. Is it possible to remember that time, and in that spirit of empathy, suspend the acrimony and instead try to hope for healing and reconciliation for all involved ? May it be so......Peace to all of us, no exceptions.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.

33. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

34. TopTop #18
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by peacetree: View Post
    I know I am terribly disappointed in the assumptions of the right to convict and punish someone who has not even had a chance to defend himself yet
    I know I am terribly disappointed that people can't understand the distinction between what it feels like is happening and what's actually happening.

Who claimed a right to convict and punish someone who hasn't had a chance to defend himself? You can't be talking about this case because:
    - no-one with the power to convict and punish Efren has said anything.
    - Efren's had a chance (and taken it) to defend himself.

I find it hard to see anything more going on in Efren's case than the obvious: a popular local politician screwed up big time and his defenders grasp at anything that smells like mitigation, while they attempt to cast doubt on the reported events using flimsy arguments that they'd never grant to those they already disapprove of. Similarly, those who aren't particular fans of his political career aren't particularly interested in giving him the benefit of any doubt. I haven't heard his opponents claim that he isn't entitled to his day in court, or that he should be lynched. (Do those raising that really intend to invoke Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill, with Efren as Clarence?)

If you're a big supporter of his, you're just going to have to suck it up and accept that he's tainted his brand, to use modern political terminology. He's got role models like Anthony Weiner, Mark Sanford, Larry Craig, Wilbur Mills, and lots of others to draw on. His career's not necessarily over. Unlike many of his supporters, he seems to realize he needs to acknowledge that something serious went on - whether you accept his public apology at face value or not, he certainly made no attempt at minimizing it.

35. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

36. TopTop #19
    Robbi Ernst III

Thank you Patrick Brinton for your intelligent response to all this foolishness. I've never used this means of communication so I don't know how this will come out; but, I had to weigh in and simply ask people to calm down and quit acting so judgmentally. There are far more responsible and intelligent ways to deal with this issue, and it's called our legal system. To compare this situation to Nixon and Gingrich is just beyond silly and pathetic. But then, we live in a world where too many people want to have their own fifteen minutes (hours? days?) of public presence and let all the world know their every thought (?), deed and action.

It makes me so glad that I'm as old as I am, rather than being younger and have to endure such a world of ever growing and pervasive self-appointed vindictiveness. I fully support Efren Carrillo and anyone else in such a situation where too many have to form and state their every opinion/judgement in the public forum, despite the fact that the facts are unknown yet!! Robbi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    This is taking on all the worst aspects of an old fashioned lynch mob mentality. In an earlier post you falsely claimed ...

37. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

38. TopTop #20
    rossmen

it is a citizens responsibility to judge the fitness of an elected public servant. this goes beyond election day. i guess you continue to support creeper corrillo because of his politics.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Robbi Ernst III: View Post
    Thank you Patrick Brinton for your intelligent response to all this foolishness. I've never used this means of communication so I don't know how this will come out; but, I had to weigh in and simply ask people to calm down and quit acting so judgmentally. There are far more responsible and intelligent ways to deal with this issue, and it's called our legal system. To compare this situation to Nixon and Gingrich is just beyond silly and pathetic. But then, we live in a world where too many people want to have their own fifteen minutes (hours? days?) of public presence and let all the world know their every thought (?), deed and action.

It makes me so glad that I'm as old as I am, rather than being younger and have to endure such a world of ever growing and pervasive self-appointed vindictiveness. I fully support Efren Carrillo and anyone else in such a situation where too many have to form and state their every opinion/judgement in the public forum, despite the fact that the facts are unknown yet!! Robbi

39. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

40. TopTop #21
    meherc
    Supporting member

More to say, as usual. I think Efren is not being shown favoritism, just the opposite. A similar thing happened to me in May. A man helped me with my groceries at Safeway (knee surgery so in pain). He was not my neighbor, as apparently Efren was with his "victim", but he kept begging me to go out with him. I finally said one cup of coffee, can only spend 45minutes to an hour. I was stupid enough to have him pick me up. Bad vibes, left asap. I jumped out of car, said, bye, thanks and rushed toward my house, keys in hand. He came up behind me and tried that old teenage boy trick of moving in so close while I was trying to open the door that he could slip in behind me. I used old teenaged girl trick of shoving backward as soon as door unlocked and slipped in and locked it.

Next morning, he showed up at my door to wish me "happy mothers day". I said thanks, didn't open door. 10 minutes later, his car is still in my driveway. I go out to see where he is, hammer in hand. No sign of him. I call police, scared at this point. 911 op says lock all yr doors and windows, cops on the way.Cop arrives at door, I explain.

Cops find him in backyard, he says he's the landscaper. Cops come to me, I press charges, they take him away. FIRST question officer asks is "did YOU have sex with him?". of course not.

End of story - DA's office drops all charges against him, while I mysteriously got 2 charges added to my arrest w/o anyone even telling me. Now, everyone who "knows" what that neighbor of Efren was thinking and feeling, give it a shot with me. Thinking, thinking ...... I've been raped, threatened, etc, etc by men in the past.

Thinking , thinking... Well, I was very afraid that day and the next, crying, shaking. Then I said, FCKG hell, they can't do this to me and went to the DA's office. Very politely asked for lawyer who decides which case is dropped, which stays. Said I know I'm not supposed to be here, but only have one quick question. As usual, they tried to throw me out. I said it's not about my case, hypothetical. Lawyer overheard and came out as did giant security guy. Her unhypothetical answer was he was only trespassing but your charges are serious( not and false). I said but he cut my screen,tried to push his way into my house, hid from me, he was after me not all of my fine antiques. My gate was secured with cement blocks and iron bars to keep my evil chihuahuas in.He moved all that. She asked why I didn't tell the cops that. BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME TO STAY IN THE HOUSE. I investigated afterwards. Hmm, too bad for me. Giant guard told me to get out and don't come near here again or I'll arrest you. So, this wasn't spread all over the papers, saying poor little me, look what the bad man did. We know she has been scarred for life.

So, very similar situation, except Efren was drunk. He is an alcoholic, he has a disease. If he was my neighbor, came to my door or rattled my blinds, I would say," Oh for Christ sake Efren, cut it out, do you need me to walk you back to yr apt or are you sober enough to make it yrself?" You have to admit Efren is not the most scary looking guy in skivvies and socks Kind of scrawny. Did he threaten the woman in words, like shut up bitch, just wait till I get you?. That I would consider way over the line and he would not be fit for office.

So,point is, Efren is being treated even worse than your average citizen, not being favored
    . Court hearings change all the time, often late at night and no one lets you know .Have to keep checking the docket on line. .I am not afraid all the time, not fearful of all men or of going out at nite alone, as one post said applied to all women.

What was the woman thinking? What was Efren thinking? What is anyone thinking?. I certainly don't know. Bet Efren was in a blackout. and doesn't know what he was thinking. He's always been very helpful to me and very responsive while I could not get in to see the other supervisors nor did they return my calls. Efren's office actually returned my call the following morning and since I wasn't there, continued to call into the next day till they got me. Efren immediately took action and he is the one I would go to if I needed help.

Go ahead, Barry, edit, I do go on. You shld hear my phone messages. By the way, they changed my court date again to Oct.
    since I wrote the reply below.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by meherc: View Post
    Yiou've got to be kidding. This shows that he is not being shown any favoritism. I was arrested in March and we're still going on and on about it, change the court , judge is on vacation, witness is sick, they don't feel like doing it. They secretly change hearing dates. So now, I'm scheduled for November for trial. and it's a nothing case. I guess someone has to make a living.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

41. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

42. TopTop #22
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Efren was charged with the misdemeanor of "peeking" today. I have started a new thread called "Efren charged with "misdemeanor peeking" in General Community to discuss this. I am closing this thread.