Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Moon

Animal-considerate shoes?

Does someone out there know where I can find the following? Shoes that are made with consideration for all Earth's creatures, including humans, so:
    neither leather nor petroleum product
    AND suitable for classroom or office (I'm not going to my teaching credential program interview in hemp fiber tennies.)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Animal-considerate shoes?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    Does someone out there know where I can find the following? Shoes that are made with consideration for all Earth's creatures, including humans, so: neither leather nor petroleum product
    AND suitable for classroom or office (I'm not going to my teaching credential program interview in hemp fiber tennies.)
    Check out https://www.allbirds.com

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Moon

I looked at All Birds, and their shoes are gorgeous; at first I thought they were too casual for an elementary school teacher, but what I'm finding advertised for that demographic is not as "professional" looking as what I've had in mind.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

6. TopTop #4
    wisewomn

Did you check out the "Vegan Shoes for Women" category at Amazon.com? Or maybe just google "Vegan Shoes for Women" or "Environmentally conscious shoes for Women?"

I looked at All Birds, and their shoes are gorgeous; at first I thought they were too casual for an elementary school teacher, but what I'm finding advertised for that demographic is not as "professional" looking as what I've had in mind.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    wisewomn

Try this one, Moon: https://www.thegoodtrade.com/feature...every-occasion

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    karenm97

Using shoes that are made of animal products actually could be seen as honoring the animals because it helps to use the parts of the animals that people don't eat. Folks call it something along the lines of "using the whole animal."

I can see avoiding animal products as being possible, but petroleum will be pretty much impossible to avoid, whether in growing the hemp/other materials or driving those shoes around from factory to store to home.

Good luck!

11. TopTop #7
    BEE KIND

"Using the whole animal" is not "honoring the animal", it's just a way of thinking that killing animals is okay. That was an old Native American concept which was appropriate in those times when they hunted wild animals and used all parts of them for their own survival. Now in our modern times, we have so many alternative choices that we don't need to use animals at all.... the best way to truly honor the animals, is to leave them alone and let them be free to live their own lives naturally. Those vegan shoes are very nice and it's much more honorable to make those choices that don't involve murdering other sentient beings. The less demand there is for any animal products, the better the world will be.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Moon

It could be seen as honoring, except that it gets more animals killed; without the very big money from leather sales, the meat industry would be hard to sustain at anywhere near its present size. 1st nations needed to eat bison but weren't cruel to them & used everything.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by karenm97: View Post
    ...I can see avoiding animal products as being possible, but petroleum will be pretty much impossible to avoid, whether in growing the hemp/other materials or driving those shoes around from factory to store to home.
    Well, OK, I'd like to have as little petroleum as possible used, from the shoes' designing to my home.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-07-2018 at 12:53 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Dorothy Friberg

Does your 'compassion' also apply to dog poop along county trails/parks?
    Last edited by Barry; 11-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.

16. TopTop #10
    BEE KIND

I fail to see how that relates to the topic of this thread. It's more about responsibility for one's own pets. That is a responsibility of all dog guardians who care about the environment. However it doesn't relate to what type of shoes someone wants to wear.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #11
    Moon

This sounds like snidely-expressed annoyance. I don't know of any reason to think Bee Kind would leave any species's stools on the ground. Maybe you could find some humans who walk with dogs in the areas you use, who value being able to do so, and go out once a week on a poop pick-up mission,

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: