Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    santarosie

survey question: Hot drink on cold day or cold drink on hot day?

Please answer the following question:

Would you rather have a hot drink on a cold day, or a cold drink on a hot day?

Why?

Also, how long you did you think about this question before arriving at your answer?

Results will follow......
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Re: survey question:

Both I am just spoiled and must have my cake and eat it too! about twenty seconds!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post

Why?

Also, how long you did you think about this question before arriving at your answer?

3. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

I would much rather have a cold drink on a hot day. It took me less than a minute to think about this answer.

The reason why is that on a hot day my body is also starving for liquid, whereas on a cold day my body usually is not. It is "pleasant" to have a hot drink on a cold day but it's not nearly as necessary, even though there is a small resource from the heat. I experience a much greater satisfaction from a cold drink on a hot day because more of my body's needs are being met. The lower temperature in the cold drink is much less important to me than the liquid itself. I have drank warm water to satisfy my thirst and the temperature to me has often been irrelevant. It's nice and helpful to have the contrast in temperature to offset the effects of the environment.

Edward

Why?

4. TopTop #4
    bird

well, since i have both daily, no matter what the weather is.....i'd say hot on cold, cold on hot, hot on hot, cold on cold.......took no time to think about this......

Why?

5. TopTop #5
    Seadeva

"Ditto" to what Edward said... Seadeava

6. TopTop #6
    lynn

I would rather have a hot drink on a cold day...(Took me about a second to answer this question)...

The reason is...I hate the cold and like to warm myself...In these parts I can usually stand the heat more than the cold (eventhough it doesn't really get that cold)...and don't ever drink very cold water even when it's hot...

And I'm wondering...Why are you asking this question?...

7. TopTop #7
    psaltz

Why?

Definitely a cold drink on a hot day! I'm always much thirstier on a hot day. It took me less than 2 seconds to arrive at this answer.

8. TopTop #8
    Lorrie

Cold on Hot day. 25 minutes... I was busy...

Now I just want to know how come no one went off on this question, how come there was no comments except to answer directly and completely by each person? Boy I don't get it....
    This doesn't happen for me....
    ~Lorrie

9. TopTop #9
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    Now I just want to know how come no one went off on this question, how come there was no comments except to answer directly and completely by each person? Boy I don't get it....
    This doesn't happen for me....
    ~Lorrie
    Lorrie, you don't ask questions like this one. You tend to stir the deep waters a little more than this. Or the deep something ...

I've thought about this for a few days. Well, actually, I haven't thought about it much, but a few minutes a few times over the last few days.

I'll have to agree most generally with Lynn. I usually avoid iced drinks altogether. Even with beer I prefer the darker variety which is usually better cool than cold. But hot coffee on a cold morning? Oh yes! I like it hot enough there's a little burn you can feel all the way down. Something just short of making your eyes water. That's soooooo good!

-Jeff

10. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Wow, Jeff. That sounded so good that I now want to start drinking the coffee brand that you drink! No secrets among friends, right?

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Lorrie, you don't ask questions like this one. You tend to stir the deep waters a little more than this. Or the deep something ...

I've thought about this for a few days. Well, actually, I haven't thought about it much, but a few minutes a few times over the last few days.

I'll have to agree most generally with Lynn. I usually avoid iced drinks altogether. Even with beer I prefer the darker variety which is usually better cool than cold. But hot coffee on a cold morning? Oh yes! I like it hot enough there's a little burn you can feel all the way down. Something just short of making your eyes water. That's soooooo good!

-Jeff

11. TopTop #11
    Moon

a cold drink on a hot day

Why?
    because thirst is more pressing than chill, unless one is nearing hypothermia

~1 second

12. TopTop #12
    lynn

I want to clarify something....

I notice some people are mentioning that it's much more important to have a cold drink on a hot day, because of thirst.

But, the survey did not say...'Would you rather have a hot drink on a cold day, or go thirsty on a hot day'....

The choice between a hot drink, or 'thirst' was not in the survey...

13. TopTop #13
    Willie Lumplump

A cold drink on a hot day. Three seconds.

I'm guessing that this is some kind of psychological test and that the issue of hot and cold drinks is really only incidental. Right?
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 10:35 AM.

14. TopTop #14
    Dynamique

Barry -- I know you're reading this:
    Isn't there a poll creating and tallying feature built into Waccobb like the one on Yahoo Groups and other "community" sites?
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 10:34 AM.

15. TopTop #15
    santarosie

I'm guessing that this is some kind of psychological test and that the issue of hot and cold drinks is really only incidental. Right?

Yes Willie, psychological, sociological, suessical even.

Although on the surface it appears to be a yes or no, black or white question, it turns out there are many possible responses. Some are quick to decide one way or the other, others take some time to reason it out. Some just want it all! There are also those who are resistant to answering what seems like a obtuse question, or making a definitive choice. It may provide a glimpse into an individuals personality (always fascinating), but it is really interesting because it speaks to the range of ideas we can come up with to resolve an issue, even when it seems like there are only two possible answers. We can think of things collectively that may never be imagined individually. Something to consider when we seek solutions to life's tougher problems...

Lynn, good point...the question is about "preference", so there is no right or wrong answer. As for the responses to "why?" someone has a particular preference, their logic can be called into question for its validity.

I thought I preferred a cold drink on a hot day, for the simple reason that I prefer a hot day. I HATE cold days. But when I read Lynn and Jeffs answers about how nice it is to warm yourself up with a hot drink on a cold day, I started to waffle.

I ask questions because there is always more to learn.
    Thanks for your valuable input everyone!

16. TopTop #16
    Tinque

Why?

I admit ,even way before reading "the cute guy's" answer, that I would say both as well and it did not take any time to think upon it..They are both different or exactly the same !
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 09:42 AM.

17. TopTop #17
    Tinque

Hopefully, nobody shall be upset with this thought.. But I realized after I posted my answer that it would really depend on exactly what I was doing at the moment on either a hot day or cold day. Am I reading a book with my child? Going sledding down a slippery snowy mountain? Looking at my bills? Or having incredible passionate sex ? It could seem very hot even on a cold day as well as extremely cold on a hot day! And at some point I probably would appreciate anything wet upon my lips!
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 09:41 AM.

18. TopTop #18
    Braggi

Yes Willie, psychological, sociological, suessical even.

"... In the end, Seussical is really about believing in yourself, keeping promises and the rewards of being an independent "thinker.""

That took a little searching.

Not sure it's what Jill meant, but I do like to look up new words, and it seems to fit.

-Jeff

19. TopTop #19
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dynamique: View Post
    Barry -- I know you're reading this:
    Isn't there a poll creating and tallying feature built into Waccobb like the one on Yahoo Groups and other "community" sites?
    Yes. Supporting Members can create polls (in the additional options panel below the message area when creating a thread) and everybody can vote on them. In this case though, I think text replies are more appropriate and interesting because of the time element requested and other thoughts that have been offered.

20. TopTop #20
    Willie Lumplump

Re: survey question: Hot drink on cold day or cold drink on hot day?

Why?

Well, let's have a proper summary. I counted ten responses, two of which had to be disregarded for one reason or another, leaving a sample size of eight.

One person (12.5%) preferred hot on a cold day, response time=1 sec.
    Five people (62.5%) preferred cold on a hot day.
    Two people (25.0%) preferred both, average response time=10 sec.

Response times of people preferring cold were distinctly bimodal, two having an average of 60 sec., the other three having an average of 2 sec.

The main thing that I get out of this is that people tended to make up their minds either very quickly (on the order of 2 seconds) or very slowly (on the order of 60 seconds). Only one response, 20 sec., was in the middle.