Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    KittyW

Re: Project Proposal - Downtown Sebastopol Hotel

That is an amazing article Nancy. Much food for thought as Sebastopol citizens and officials grapple with how to best manage change, as change is inevitable.

It is extremely insightful on the differences between US and European land and growth policies. I would encourage anyone to read it to think about whether to invite the proposed hotel in or look at alternatives that would support the local agriculture economy.

Notable quotes from the article:

"Although the percentage of Americans involved in agriculture is today only 1.4 percent, with a total of around 2.1 million farms, France by itself has some 730,000 farms in only 6 percent of the total land area, with 7 percent of its population employed in agriculture." (what a difference!)

"Although the notion of "locally-sourced" food products has lately gained some traction, this has not translated into much if any public policy.."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nancypreb: View Post
    Here's an interesting article that pertains to how we think about urbanization based on our values here in the states. It appeared on the same FB thread discussing Healdburg's housing crisis due to it's gentrification. Some interesting points to ponder I think....https://oldurbanist.blogspot.com/201...landscape.html
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #62
    rossmen

Didn't the city actively seek out hotel developers for the property, spending staff time to market as part of community economic development, knowing that transient occupancy tax is a rich source of government funding with no political downside? Am i missing something here? Isn't this proposal an example of proactive government policy?
    Last edited by Barry; 09-28-2016 at 12:54 PM.

4. TopTop #63
    jerichsalud

I agree that increases in housing/rent costs in Sebastopol and the rest of Sonoma County are likely for many of the reasons you mention. However, I'd suggest that there are decisions that can be made and actions that can be taken that can minimize that.

For example, the new Hotel seems to prioritize being a "bridge" between downtown and the Barlow prioritizing the needs of the businesses in the Barlow while potentially exacerbating costs of housing for residents. To help offset possible side effects of this project Sebastopol could consider raising the City’s TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax charged tourists who stay at hotels) to help pay for affordable for housing.

Here is another resource or listing of possible solutions:

UC Berkeley's Urban Displacement Project listings and map of anti-displacement policies are on the books in every city and county in the Bay Area, based on an inventory of municipal codes completed in November 2015.https://www.urbandisplacement.org/policy-tools-2

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 1104GT: View Post
    I agree with a lot of the concern about Sonoma County (and most of coastal California) becoming increasing expensive. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-29-2016 at 07:33 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #64
    nancypreb

Kitty, I don't know too much detail about these incubators, however, I have heard of them. I'd love to follow up with you on these ideas as I think there is no reason to not pursue such a concept for Sebastopol, despite this hotel fiasco. I'd love to work with you on developing it if you're interested.

All- The thing is this, despite the CVS/Hotel Sebastopol, this conversation has to continue and ACTION has to start being taken if, indeed, we want to salvage any reminisce of the history, and hopefully the future- all that we love- about this town. It really is up to us to preserve the integrity of Sebastopol. Think about what we as residents want as a concession for this influx of the 1%ers we're about to experience, despite reasonable and sound objection. While there is still one, and only one (in my estimation), possibility left for stopping this hotel through community protest, I fear that it's a done deal… the fabric of Sebastopol is about to change…forever. We now have joined the ranks of Napa, Sonoma, St. Helena, and Healdsburg.

But, foolish as I may be, I still think there is a way, a real viable possibility, of setting ourselves apart still by retaining, dare I say "capitalize" on, the "farm town" that we should take pride in being, as oppose to the "WINE towns" that I mentioned. Sure we have great wine, but we ALSO take GREAT pride in the DIVERSE agricultural identity of our town, which we still INSIST ON PROTECTING! We need to NOT forget about our tractor guys or their importance. I would like for this town to help, if they want it, to find a new location for them. If they're not interested in continuing the business, we then need to SOLICIT (just like we did the hotel) a NEW tractor company…. because our local Ag DEPENDS ON TRACTORS & PARTS! And we all still need to eat, and we all want to eat well, and that, folks, requires easily accessible tractors and parts.

And we need to preserve the Rural Residential and Rural Agricultural properties in our town. We need to be the town (unlike Healdsburg, Sonoma, Napa, St. Helena) who values our FOOD MORE than our wine and spirits, because FOOD feeds the children and our future- wine and spirits feed our fancies and desires.

We need to not stop here with thinking "proactively" about development. We need to think about what we would like to see next? Where? How?! We need to pay attention to the City…ALWAYS! We need to all participate...attend meetings, speak up, strategize, lobby for what WE think we need before we're told what we're going to get.

…my fifty cents

Quote Posted in reply to the post by KittyW: View Post
    Some great ideas there, Nancy! I particularly like your idea of supporting agriculture. What about an artisan food company incubator? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-29-2016 at 07:35 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #65
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

See what the city council candidates had to say about the hotel proposal at last night's Sebastopol City Council Forum at the Grange:

9. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

10. TopTop #66
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hotel projects may change face of West County

Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:20 am | Updated: 5:19 pm, Wed Sep 28, 2016.
    by Amie Windsor Sonoma West Staff Writer [email protected]

Sebastopol Hotel gets green light from planning commission and Guernewood Park Resort project is up for review

In the late hours of Tuesday night, the Sebastopol Planning Commission approved two resolutions paving the way for a new hotel in downtown Sebastopol.

The project, from Piazza Hospitality Group, is a 66-room hotel, ranging between two and four stories high, to be located at the current Sebastopol Tractor site, commonly referred to as the Diamond Lumberyard.
    “I think this project will enhance the plaza and provide a bridge between the Barlow and Main Street,” Commissioner Colin Doyle said.

The building includes a lobby/reception area, retail space, artist-maker studios, wellness center, meeting rooms, six hostel rooms, restaurant, bar/lounge, public courtyard and an outdoor rooftop deck. The project will provide 120 parking spaces; 90 spots will be situated on the four parcels located at 6826 and 6824 Depot St. and 215 and 225 Brown St. Thirty spots will be located on the street surrounding the development.

In conjunction with car parking spaces, 62 bike spaces will also be provided. A bike locker room inside of the hotel will provide 26 spaces while outside racks will offer 36 bike parking spaces. Two spaces will provide 110-volt outlets to charge electric bicycles.

Before Piazza received the final OK, the commission had to approve use permits and zoning code amendments.

Use permits were approved for a reduction in the mandatory parking requirements. Per Sebastopol’s parking code, businesses must provide one parking space per 400 square feet of net floor area. This requirement called for 146 parking spaces to be added with the hotel; the 120 proposed spaces nets roughly a 16 percent reduction in required spaces.

W-Trans, the traffic consultant hired by the city, acknowledged peak parking usage will likely average 85 cars. The planning commission concurred the reduced parking spots will be more than adequate for the project.
    Because the project provides more than 50 rooms, a special use permit to build over that limit in Sebastopol’s Downtown Core District was required and subsequently approved.

In addition to the use permits, a zoning code amendment was passed to increase the maximum allowed height of a building in the Downtown Core from three stories/40 feet to four stories/50 feet.

“The plan is unique and the General Plan draft is already asking for these new dimensions and increases,” Commissioner Evert Fernandez said.

A use permit for alcohol was also approved, despite Piazza lacking a concrete idea of the restaurant concept.
    “It will likely sit 60 to 75 patrons,” Paolo Petrone, Piazza managing partner said.

A second zoning code amendment was approved to allow for valet and tandem parking of the four parcels.
    The city council will have final approval on both zoning code amendments. No meeting date is yet set for discussion of the amendments.

The proposed project wasn’t without public criticism.

During public comment, a handful of long-time community members voiced fears that the hotel would change the small-town feel of Sebastopol by catering to wealthier tourists.

“I’ve been here for 42 years,” said Nancy Preblich. “I’ve been watching the transformation of the town for years and it’s disappointing, frustrating, infuriating.”

Michael Gillotti, creator of the Sebastopol Living Peace Wall agreed.

“I don’t think this is the right project for our town,” Gillotti said. “Its designed to bring elite people with a lot of money to the town.”

Fernandez also worried about “losing the small-town feel of the city.”

Other concerns centered around increased traffic to the Downtown Core. The W-Trans study indicated traffic increase would be minimum.

“Clearly the project will generate more traffic than the repair shop currently generates,” Planning Director Kenyon Webster said. “But the impact will be minimal.”

Despite the dissent, many project supporters also voiced opinions mirroring the commission’s final decision.
    “This is a very important need to our community,” Duskie Estes of Zazu Kitchen said. “When a tourist comes to our community, they’ll have a base here. They’ll shop here. The tax revenue from this project will stay right here.”

The hotel is expected to raise roughly $350,000 a year in transient occupancy taxes.

The city has worked to redevelop the defunct site for more than a decade. Piazza became engaged in late 2015.

“We felt a hotel could be compatible with the goals of the community,” Piazza’s Circe Sher said. “It will bring economic vitality to the city and people to downtown. We like the location a lot.”

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #67
    rossmen

The town grows, and community shrinks, at least with high end hotels at the center. This is so not cittaslow. Rather sell the soul, for 350k/yr, we will regret this.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Hotel projects may change face of West County

Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:20 am | Updated: 5:19 pm, Wed Sep 28, 2016.
    by Amie Windsor Sonoma West Staff Writer [email protected]

Sebastopol Hotel gets green light from planning commission and Guernewood Park Resort project is up for review

n the late hours of Tuesday night, the Sebastopol Planning Commission approved two resolutions paving the way for a new hotel in downtown Sebastopol.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #68
    KittyW

According to the article, this site has been defunct for more than a decade (other than the tractor repair shop, I assume). That's a long time. Did anyone else step up with a vision, a plan and a budget? It takes quite a lot of effort and expertise to bring all three together.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    The town grows, and community shrinks, at least with high end hotels at the center. This is so not cittaslow. Rather sell the soul, for 350k/yr, we will regret this.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #69
    rossmen

Carefull what you ask for. Basso is an asshole. The tractor guy is dead so, the city wants the money and so, we get a minimegoapolis. You win kitty, was anyone else interested in the multiple properties? Yes! A vision, a plan, and a budget? The citty put that together, looking for the payoff. The interesting thing about selling your soul; the devil is really nice...

According to the article, this site has been defunct for more than a decade (other than the tractor repair shop, I assume). That's a long time. Did anyone else step up with a vision, a plan and a budget? It takes quite a lot of effort and expertise to bring all three together.

17. TopTop #70
    tommy

Kitty, this is the same attitude that resulted in the new CVS, which no one wanted, and is a blemish on our downtown. There were alternatives proposed for the CVS site. The most appealing, I thought, was to refurbish the existing buildings into shops and cafes. However no one came forward with any money to fund the development, which included making repairs to streets and utilities. As a last resort, that would have taken the City of Sebastopol to fund it, or at least put some money into it. That was probably too heavy, complex, or controversial.

The new Hotel project is similar. The property owner wants to sell the property and make some money - that's the California real estate game. Maybe it's the best use for the site. While the greatest need is for housing, the site is probably too small and too expensive for housing. For the City to build affordable housing elsewhere, that would require vision, and funding, that the City may not have.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #71
    1104GT

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    There were alternatives proposed for the CVS site. The most appealing, I thought, was to refurbish the existing buildings into shops and cafes. However no one came forward with any money to fund the development, which included making repairs to streets and utilities.
    I think Kitty's point was that both the CVS and lumber yard sites sat vacant for years, even decades, and no one came forward with viable proposals until CVS and the hotel. What you name as "alternatives" never existed as such. They were only "ideas". A real alternative must include a plan, leadership and funding. Just getting through the initial phases of our development process costs tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

As a last resort, that would have taken the City of Sebastopol to fund it, or at least put some money into it. That was probably too heavy, complex, or controversial.
    Since the demise of our Redevelopment agency and after the loss of two huge tax revenue creating businesses, the City has not been in any financial position to put money into anything. They have been short staffed and running on a crazy tight budget for years. And with our polarized population, the City becoming a proactive force in real estate development puts them in a very challenging position.

For the City to build affordable housing elsewhere, that would require vision, and funding, that the City may not have.
    We can't look to the City to build housing. They don't have any money. Only private development is going to do it. To make it happen, we need to create incentives that entice private development. Otherwise, it won't happen.

20. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

21. TopTop #72
    KittyW

Hi Tommy, I'm not expressing an "attitude" -- I'm asking a simple question. Did anyone else step up with a vision, a plan and a budget? Great ideas abound. Can and do they get funded? Not without a lot of hard work, expertise and resources around them. That's just fact, not attitude. This "real estate game" you refer to is not exclusive to California. It's pretty much wherever private ownership exists, for better or worse.

Kitty, this is the same attitude that resulted in the new CVS, which no one wanted, and is a blemish on our downtown. There were alternatives proposed for the CVS site. The most appealing, I thought, was to refurbish the existing buildings into shops and cafes. However no one came forward with any money to fund the development, which included making repairs to streets and utilities. As a last resort, that would have taken the City of Sebastopol to fund it, or at least put some money into it. That was probably too heavy, complex, or controversial.

The new Hotel project is similar. The property owner wants to sell the property and make some money - that's the California real estate game. Maybe it's the best use for the site. While the greatest need is for housing, the site is probably too small and too expensive for housing. For the City to build affordable housing elsewhere, that would require vision, and funding, that the City may not have.

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #73
    KittyW

You needn't get snarky with me, rossmen. I've won nothing. My favorite idea for the space was an artisan food company incubator that would assist local entrepreneurs and farmers. But I don't have the resources to make such a vision come true. Ideas are easy. Execution is hard..

Carefull what you ask for. Basso is an asshole. The tractor guy is dead so, the city wants the money and so, we get a minimegoapolis. You win kitty, was anyone else interested in the multiple properties? Yes! A vision, a plan, and a budget? The citty put that together, looking for the payoff. The interesting thing about selling your soul; the devil is really nice...

24. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

25. TopTop #74
    rossmen

Sorry, can't even rememder why i wrote that line, no offence intended. I have enjoyed reading your posts about the hotei and learned much from them. I know far less about this development and have contributed very little to the discussion. I did contemplate purchasing the parking lot parcel a yr or two ago for a medical building but then decided to put off that goal for a few years.

You needn't get snarky with me, rossmen....
    Last edited by Barry; 10-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #75
    Michael Anthony

1911 map of Sebastopol showing the U.S. Hotel located at McKinley and North Main Street. I will check the microfilm records of the Sebastopol Times newspaper to see what was written about this hotel. Coincidentally, the cobbler workshop that is part of the hotel complex is in the same location as my boot shop is today.

Name:  U.S. Hotel - Sebastopol - 1911.jpeg
Views: 1687
Size:  26.1 KB

28. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

29. TopTop #76

Awesome, Michael! Did you know this before? Or did it just come to light? Just curious...
    Rev. BE

30. TopTop #77
    JayS

So what, they sat vacant for years. Big deal. Always amazing to me that something MUST be built on vacant or un-used land. I liked the look of those old buildings in their disrepair.

I think Kitty's point was that both the CVS and lumber yard sites sat vacant for years,...

31. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

32. TopTop #78
    Goat Rock Ukulele

A small hotel there would't be so bad. But in a town filled with artists they have to design an oversized abomination like that. What a mess.

33. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

34. TopTop #79
    rossmen

Threat was involved. Without the 4 stories and 50 ft (now part of the new general plan draft), the nice people would take their 350k/yr and go home to healdtouristburg. Maybe this is why jacob and eider quit. When the framing goes up, they know it will be cvs redux.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Goat Rock Ukulele: View Post
    A small hotel there would't be so bad. But in a town filled with artists they have to design an oversized abomination like that. What a mess.

35. Gratitude expressed by:

36. TopTop #80
    rossmen

The city has built housing (and taken it out), and put money into optional projects, like cittyslow. What businesses are you citing? Sebtown is doing fine budget wise, better than any other municipality in soco through the hard years, there is still a million that could be cut by contracting with the county for police services.

The hotel proposal is clearly proactive city planning for budget abundance, other citizen desires? Not!

...Since the demise of our Redevelopment agency and after the loss of two huge tax revenue creating businesses, the City has not been in any financial position to put money into anything. ...

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #81
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allorrah Be: View Post
    Awesome, Michael! Did you know this before? Or did it just come to light? Just curious...
    This 1911 map has been at my boot shop for a long time so yes, I have been aware of the fact that Sebastopol has previously had hotels in the downtown core. I will check the archive maps to see what other hotels were in town over the years. Just think, in one-hundred years, the new Hotel Sebastopol may be just a memory on an old map.

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #82

Who said that something MUST be built? Probably the owners felt that way, but that was not the point of the post that mentioned how long the lot had been vacant. The point was that anyone could have predicted with some certainty that under all the circumstances it almost certainly would be built on, and had ample opportunity to propose a different scheme. Sure, we all have our own vision of what might (or should) be built there, including leaving it as it was. Unfortunately we live under a system that requires more than just ideas and determination; it requires that someone have a workable plan that they can raise the money to pay for. Someone who agreed with you could have bought the property and not developed it, but nobody stepped forward. Finally someone did come up with money and a plan, so that is what is being proposed. Personally I have some admiration for their willingness to step into the buzz saw of Sebastopol land use politics.

Patrick Brinton

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JayS: View Post
    So what, they sat vacant for years. Big deal. Always amazing to me that something MUST be built on vacant or un-used land. I liked the look of those old buildings in their disrepair.

41. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

42. TopTop #83
    newclay

The working class with families are too busy to see what Busi-ness-es are formulating their profit margins on... And mmm I wonder how many of the "public" actually passed that sign on the less traveled side of fence there... I can see you were plugged in cause you may have a personal profit involved. Maybe, maybe not? But seems the most people are the ones who have or are to profit that have been mostly informed...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Not at all familiar except through rumors over the last few months. H...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-11-2016 at 11:31 AM.

43. Gratitude expressed by:

44. TopTop #84
    newclay

And nothing personal... love your boots and character. And understand why you would approve of hotel. I am just feeling a major "fascist capitalistic energy" here... Duh... and truly feel this was swept under the feet of the masses when you say "public" regarding Sebastopol... And that is not justice as I know it... anywho! Food for thought!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    This 1911 map has been at my boot shop for a long time so yes, I have been aware of the fact that Sebastopol has previously had hotels in the downtown core. I will check the archive maps to see what other hotels were in town over the years. Just think, in one-hundred years, the new Hotel Sebastopol may be just a memory on an old map.

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #85

Hey Rossmen, you're on the right track about the out-of-town developers making it clear that they would take their toys and go home if they don't get the nod for their luxury liner. There is a subtle difference in the specifics that are on the table and I only mention it because technically it's not a done deal yet.

The developer will not build if he can't get 66 rooms. He says “the numbers just don't work”. There was no approval needed for the number of rooms but as you cited, the approval pending is for the 4th story at 50 feet. That particular zoning code amendment request is scheduled for City Council Public Hearing on November 1st. Also scheduled for that same City Council Public Hearing is the approval for the parking amendment that they have requested. There's no saying at this point what they would do if they did not get the code amendment approval for their structure height. Perhaps they would pack up and go home, but I doubt it. I suspect escrow has already closed and right about now all of the stakeholders in direct line to benefit at our expense are delighted with their successful coup.

If for some reason, stranger than fiction, the 4 story 50 foot code amendment was not approved by City Council I suppose Mr. Developer could re-design and re-submit plans. If he could accommodate his 66 room profit requirements in a project no taller than 3 stories at 40 feet he'd be good to go. No City Council approval would be needed if there was no code amendment request but I suspect that the new plans would need to go back to the Planning Commission for another public hearing and approval. This fairytale version does not address the parking code amendment. That too would either need City Council approval or a new parking plan would need to be presented that met parking requirements without a code amendment. I'm guessing you can all see where this could go.

That having been said, if we really don't want a luxury liner dropped in our front yard then the opportunity to stop Hotel Sebastatour is still within reach. Admittedly this is a long-shot – but if you can envision 100 plus people crammed in the Youth Annex on November 1st just saying NO, it might be difficult for our public servants to ignore the will of the people.

Threat was involved. Without the 4 stories and 50 ft (now part of the new general plan draft), the nice people would take their 350k/yr and go home to healdtouristburg. Maybe this is why jacob and eider quit. When the framing goes up, they know it will be cvs redux.

47. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

48. TopTop #86
    tommy

I'm wondering what else could be built there? It's a relatively small property, on a major street, with alot of street frontage, yet minimal depth and not much room for parking. Other than a fairy godmother buying it & giving it to the City for a park... it'd probably be retail... something like the shops on Brown Street, where the Falafel place is. I doubt there's a big demand for more retail - besides the Barlow and Main Street - there's limited parking, alot of traffic, it's not Montgomery Village or Healdsburg with the Square & bunches of restaurants & tasting rooms.

Affordable housing would require government funding, which there's not an abundance of. There could be market rate apartments, townhouses, or condos there... maybe mixed use

A small hotel is the other option - logical, because out-of-towners might want to stay downtown, where there's more activity. There is alot of energy against the 1% tourists, not to become another Healdsburg, & push all the locals out. The chances of that are pretty remote. The nature of the towns is quite different. Healdsburg, with it's large spacious square, location a few blocks off 101, became the wine & tourist destination as a result of it's own planning. Sebastopol, at the intersection of two major highways, doesn't have the "walk about feel & spaciousness" of Healdsburg,so it's unlikely it could become a mini Healdsburg.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #87
    podfish

..... I doubt there's a big demand for more retail - besides the Barlow and Main Street - there's limited parking, alot of traffic, it's not Montgomery Village or Healdsburg with the Square & bunches of restaurants & tasting rooms.
    yet. But you're right, for more retail you probably need a source of customers. Which leads to:
    Quote ...A small hotel is the other option - logical, because out-of-towners might want to stay downtown, where there's more activity.
    clearly this hotel looks huge to some people. I don't think it does, but I wouldn't venture to guess (this forum doesn't work as a replacement for a survey) how many also feel that way.

Personally I would have preferred that Sebastopol remained a working town, with a real tractor store, ag businesses, even a junkyard for that matter, than turn into a more rural Healdsburgish place. But I think that's ship is sailing or even sinking.

51. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

52. TopTop #88
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I am glad to see this hotel proposal get a unanimous approval by the city council. I think it will beautify downtown, while providing many common amenities and tax revenue.

Hotel Sebastopol gets final ok
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:40 am
    By Amie Windsor Staff Writer [email protected]

Developer excited to get project going

After more than two years of investing time, money and patience into their project, the Piazza Hospitality Group received final approval for Hotel Sebastopol Tuesday night. The city council unanimously approved zoning code amendments for the downtown core district allowing for buildings with residential use on the top two floors to apply for use permits for heights of four stories (50 feet) and allowing for future developers to apply for use permits for non-standard parking arrangements.

The zoning code amendments allow the 66-room hotel to reach four stories in height and provide valet parking to its patrons in a lot located behind the hotel site on Depot Street.

The site will include the hotel as well as a restaurant, bar and lounge, meeting/event space, rooftop deck, wellness center, gardens, retail spaces and artist/maker studios. The rooftop deck and a first story outdoor courtyard will be open to the public.

The initial zoning code amendment changed the maximum height for all buildings with residential uses to four stories or 50 feet, a move which worried the city council.

“We’re creating a lot of four story buildings in our downtown core,” said councilmember Sarah Glade Gurney.
    To maintain control of growth, the city council added the requirement of a use permit for all four story/50-foot buildings.

Continues here

53. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

54. TopTop #89
    vlondi

I do like most of the drawings I've seen of the building. Hopefully they aren't changed much (as often happens between concept and construction) and the aesthetic of the hotel is representative of the drawings. I also hope the rooms aren't too expensive or else people will still flock to the AirBnBs of the city.

55. TopTop #90
    newclay

Do you think $350-$500 too expensive... its relevant I guess... But yeah, that's the ticket... Wonder what the "Hostel" rooms there will go for? Bless
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by vlondi: View Post
    ... I also hope the rooms aren't too expensive or else people will still flock to the AirBnBs of the city.

56. Gratitude expressed by: