Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    parlyvous

Benzo epidemic in the U.S.

I'd like to touch base with folks who are either going through benzodiazepine withdrawal, tapering and the Hell it brings.

This is an epidemic in the U.S. Doctors prescribe it willy-nilly without thought (or many times, knowledge) of it's severely addictive properties. I for one, am tired of doctors assuming I am "drug-seeking" or delusionally thinking the klonopin, then Lorazepam I was given now have me addicted and despite all my attempts at getting off, only leads to suffering, chronic insomnia and destroying the life and health I had before I was put on the 'Benzo Road'.

This post is not going to be a well-written as I would like, as I'm having an exceptionally hard time this past week with symptoms, but decided instead of thinking "I should" post about Benzos, the medical profession's abuse of prescribing them freely and those jumping on the money-making wagon touting they can "help" those afflicted "easily" get off benzos, to actually do it, poorly written or not.

Big Pharma doesn't care. Many doctors don't care. We need to band together and fight not only Benzo prescribing, but sharing information and resources and personal stories. There is no shame in this. The medical community did this to us. We have been crippled and now must somehow drag ourselves out of the hole they have dug for us.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: Benzo epidemic in the U.S.

Wow, this reads like a very hard place to be in. I know a little about opioid addiction, is this similar? I wish you well on a difficult journey and agree that the pharmaceutical industry and their doctor allies are in it for the $.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by parlyvous: View Post
    I'd like to touch base with folks who are either going through benzodiazepine withdrawal, tapering and the Hell it brings.

This is an epidemic in the U.S. Doctors prescribe it willy-nilly without thought (or many times, knowledge) of it's severely addictive properties. I for one, am tired of doctors assuming I am "drug-seeking" or delusionally thinking the klonopin, then Lorazepam I was given now have me addicted and despite all my attempts at getting off, only leads to suffering, chronic insomnia and destroying the life and health I had before I was put on the 'Benzo Road'.

This post is not going to be a well-written as I would like, as I'm having an exceptionally hard time this past week with symptoms, but decided instead of thinking "I should" post about Benzos, the medical profession's abuse of prescribing them freely and those jumping on the money-making wagon touting they can "help" those afflicted "easily" get off benzos, to actually do it, poorly written or not.

Big Pharma doesn't care. Many doctors don't care. We need to band together and fight not only Benzo prescribing, but sharing information and resources and personal stories. There is no shame in this. The medical community did this to us. We have been crippled and now must somehow drag ourselves out of the hole they have dug for us.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2017 at 10:34 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    parlyvous

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    Wow, this reads like a very hard place to be in. I know a little about opioid addiction, is this similar? I wish you well on a difficult journey and agree that the pharmaceutical industry and their doctor allies are in it for the $.
    It is a horrific place to be and made even more frustrating because so many doctors are clueless or as I said before 'assume' you are drug-seeking'. No, we innocently trusted those doctors and ingested chemical compounds that wrecked havoc on our minds and bodies.

Anyone interested or in the throes of benzo addiction/withdrawal there is a wonderful website www.benzobuddies.org. Doctors should take a look, a hard look at just the number of people posting on one website. They can't all be "drug seeking" or in need of SSRIs ...amazing how many doctors when one complains of side effects or withdrawal symptoms try and immediately write a prescription for yet another drug!
    The pay out for Big Pharma is great, as is the suffering of a great number of people.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-11-2017 at 08:51 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    rossmen

Yes, i think side effect needs an upgrade in category, i googled benzo road, cutting edge info on the most powerful drugs, legally available. My nephew was dead out of soco jail, no clue or responsibility from authorities. Be careful, some doctors are there, trust yourself.

It is a horrific place to be and made even more frustrating because so many doctors are clueless or ...
    Last edited by Barry; 02-11-2017 at 08:52 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    parlyvous

Mentioned a "horrific place" to find oneself ...some withdrawal symptoms:

Panic, blind panic.
    Being in fight or flight mode 24/7
    Headaches. From pressure headaches to severe head 'splitting' pain.
    Chronic insomnia...no sleep, or minimal sleep that is broken and full of nightmares. This is not occasional but chronic...can be weeks, months.
    Heart palpitations. Some folks have said they thought they were having heart attack
    Internal shaking (chronic)
    Night sweats
    Visual disturbances. (today my cell phone lying on coffee table took on a curved shape...disconcerting at the least!
    Brain seizures which can land you in the hospital or kill you.
    Weakness stemming from the chronic above symptoms.

This can go on for weeks, months and for some years, yes years!

It affects your social life, life in general, work (if you can), relationships can run aground.

Benzo addiction carries the fear that this is what the rest of your life will be like. Even surrounded by others you are alone in your suffering, as others don't understand the severity of the symptoms that you speak of or believe what you tell them.

Doctors, please, please, think twice about prescribing these very addictive medications. Consider each person/patient individually when you do prescribe. There is a reason there is now a crack-down (belatedly) on writing prescriptions for these addictive drugs. Only difference between street drugs and those obtained from clinic is legality.
    The effects are potentially deadly.

Posting web address for more thorough information if allowed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzod...rawal_syndrome

If anyone decides against taking Benzos due to this thread or above web site information...one step in the right direction in informing the public.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    Maxime

I am so sorry to hear that you are having to endure this nightmare.

I believe that the benzodiazepine class of medications does much more harm than good, are being prescribed generally off label, and not according to the original intention for their use. Patients are not advised of the immense list of interactions - many dozens of very common foods, herbs and OTC cold and allergy remedies, which dangerously impact blood levels, creating even more side effects.

I see many clients in my Holistic Health Practice with severe issues resulting from current or past benzo prescription. I have provided care for those in protracted withdrawals long after they had been off their meds, as well as guiding safe tapers, free of withdrawal symptoms. You too can reclaim your life from this prison.

Are you interested in a guided taper program that you can do from your own home? You are welcome to contact me to learn how to set up your recovery. A current client who was taking Lorazepam for 35 years for her insomnia, is now sleeping and peaceful through 60% reduction, with resolution of depression and anxiety. A symptom-free taper requires compounding prescriptions, which many conventional doctors refuse to write. I make referrals to compassionate professionals on your behalf.

Sending prayers that all those who are seeking support and information find what they are looking for and get their lives and function back in full force.

Mentioned a "horrific place" to find oneself ...some withdrawal symptoms:...

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    parlyvous

Sent you a private email this morning. 2/24/2017 Thanks.

14. TopTop #8
    parlyvous

Well due to severe withdrawal symptoms, my primary Doctor tried to reinstate me to 5mgs, I suffered with no lessening of symptoms and finally called and he gave me a 'script for 7.5mg....didn't work. I put myself back on 10mgs and finally after 2 weeks and having lessening of symptoms and the being 'slammed' awake with heart palps at night or upon awakening, is easing off.
    I'm beginning to wonder if I will just have to take Valium the rest of my life. The decent sleep or lack there of, makes my life hell. I envy people who speak of taking naps or sleeping 8 hours a night. I work on eating healthy and study up on supportive supplements. (the suggestion that continued use of the 'pams' can cause dementia really has me thrilled. (NOT)
    The only thing I can think of is to get 'permission' to continue to take 10 mgs a night (although my Dr. thinks that is far too high a dose) until I get reacclimated to the dose and then carefully and VERY slowly taper off..and if that means taking 2 years to taper down I'm willing to go that route. I just need a Doctor who is willing to allow me to decide what my body and brain can handle. I'm sincere in wanting to be free of needing any meds, and my Doctor knows that, as my last blood test showed slightly elevated 'bad' cholesterol (never had it before) and he wanted me on statins and I refused. I can take Red Rice Yeast that works just as well. So I"m not drug-seeking in the least.

I just hate that this freely prescribing addictive meds has created an epidemic of suffering people, and yet most Doctors. seem to fight you when you ask for their help to taper on a sensible schedule. (or seems to just want to ride the $$ 'gravy train' that treating those addicted, brings in.)

Again, please, please think twice if a Doctor wants to prescribe such meds for anxiety, depression. Seek therapy and more natural means to get healthy again emotionally. You don't want to go down the road of Benzo Hell.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    rossmen

Keep looking at alternatives to allopathic medicine. I wish we could all trust ourselves to trust that we know more about ourselves than any doctor. Reads like your doctor gets it, legal drugs are powerful, and often over prescribed for complicated reasons. What is the journey to health in an insane world? Only i can decide for myself, when i see others suffering, those close to me, i grieve.

Well due to severe withdrawal symptoms, my primary Doctor tried to reinstate me to 5mgs, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-14-2017 at 10:46 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    parlyvous

I understand trying to avoid allopathic medicine..it got me where I find myself today. I've tried amino acids, niacinamide in high doses, read much on cannabis, wild lettuce, wine tapering (joke, but it sure takes the edge off the suffering..but I'm not much of a drinker) gone to holistic doctors and just got ripped off...or told to "chant" lol, I'm sure!!!!
    I'm now on propranolol, (no screaming please) and now the shaking and anxiety, insomnia has largely lessened and I've tapered from 10mg of Valium to 7mg in one week!!! I realize there will be a taper when I'm done with Valium, from Propranolol....but willing to do it...I 've studied much and there seems to be little to it.

Thanks to all the Doctors that ignored my pleas when this was starting years ago, thanks a lot for lost years, lost to suffering. STOP prescribing this poison!!!!!

At least now I feel like I might be on the road to recovery. Won't happen overnight, but I'm feeling better and being closely monitored and the GG Bridge doesn't look as good as it once did.

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    IntuEdge

Thank you for taking a stand for your own well-being, and for taking charge of getting yourself a meds regimen, including tapering, that works for you. Thanks also for the useful links (especially the peer support), and for sharing your experience, and your anger, and your commitment to getting yourself freed from all this -- whatever it takes.

You've inspired me to get involved in a more public conversation about health care, drugs, self-determination, cost-sharing, and the industries and regulations and behaviors that have grown around them, especially as we're now trying to both save and fix the ACA (and democracy). You make a bunch of great points about addictive prescriptions, informed consent, unduly restricted access to the help you need, and how profit motives lead to actions which are not in the best interest of the patient, nor the public.

I am sorry to hear of your suffering, your challenges, and your frustrations, but I'm grateful for your posts here. I wish you both speedy and lasting relief, on all fronts. I hope you will keep updating us, and keep reminding us that you are one of many who need us to add our voices to yours, for a safer, saner, healthier, and more humane future.
    I understand trying to avoid allopathic medicine..it got me where I find myself today. I've tried amino acids, niacinamide in high doses, read much on cannabis, wild lettuce, wine tapering (joke, but it sure takes the edge off the suffering..but I'm not much of a drinker) gone to holistic doctors and just got ripped off...or told to "chant" lol, I'm sure!!!!
    I'm now on propranolol, (no screaming please) and ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-27-2017 at 10:44 AM.

21. TopTop #12
    parlyvous

Quote Posted in reply to the post by IntuEdge: View Post
    Thank you for taking a stand for your own well-being, and for taking charge of getting yourself a meds regimen, including tapering, that works for you. Thanks also for the useful links (especially the peer support), and for sharing your experience, and your anger, and your commitment to getting yourself freed from all this -- whatever it takes...
    Thank you for your response and interest and yes, even understanding. One great frustration is those who can't grasp what you are going through, or Doctors who seem to think you are just being 'dramatic'. I was even turned away by doctors, who thought I was attention-seeking (not even drug-seeking!!).

I am amazed at the lack of knowledge of the medical establishment regarding the dangers of prescribing without much forethought as to the end result. I would much rather a Doctor take the time to discuss your life circumstances, issues and concerns. Many times most of us need a kind ear and understand that the angst we suffer can be situational and have no need for medicating/medication. Oh if only I had been really listened to years back, instead of being put on the medications that were popular at the time, especially Xanax.

Also Big Pharma sends their sales personnel out in force and while I don't know the ins and outs of payment if a Doctor pushes a particular drug, I certainly suspect it. Drugs are big business....hang the end results of ruining lives/health.

I'm heartened to find more and more web sites (although it means more and more people are going through the aforementioned hell of addiction and withdrawal) that are addressing the issue. Sad that people have to try and help each other, instead of the medical profession realizing there is an epidemic and addressing it and stemming the flow.

I still struggle and also suffer from ongoing anger issues that so much time was stolen from me and the seeming disregard of the medical profession. But I do see myself slowly, slowly pulling myself out of that black hole I was sent into. I don't expect a short-term ceasing of symptoms. It still is going to take much work to hopefully get back to a normal life and functioning. I am appalled that the present administration is pulling the rug out from under programs that were put in place to offer support and restoration of the afflicted.

I too, plan to speak out and inform others and seek out forums and groups of the afflicted and the concerned. At this point it is the individual who will have to perform this function, calling attention to the issue and fighting against the horrible injustice done to trusting persons, who look to their Doctors with trust to heal them, not incapacitate them.

FB site: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Ativan-W...=page_internal
    Last edited by Barry; 04-10-2017 at 11:37 AM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #13
    parlyvous

July 11th is World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day

For the video please go to:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNE...PuaKg1uuSJHAbg

https://w-bad.orgAre you or someone you know or love taking (or thinking about starting) a benzodiazepine or Z-drug? Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, Librium, and others) as well as Z-drugs (Ambien, Lunesta and others), which are similar, have the most debilitating withdrawal reactions in all of medicine.

This happens in regular, everyday people who are taking the medications exactly as their doctor prescribed. It also happens to people on what they think are “low doses” and is not just a “high dose” problem. This happens because the prescribing guidelines for this class of drug recommend short-term (less than 2-4 weeks) use only, yet doctors are prescribing them for much longer. Even worse, these unsuspecting patients are given no warning (or informed consent) by their doctor about these risks and dangers before taking the prescription past the recommended timeline.

The patients think the drugs are “safe” because they are prescribed when they are actually quite dangerous medications that are capable of inflicting sometimes severe and life-threatening withdrawal syndromes which are known, for some people, to persist for many years.

I'm still fighting the battle of tapering off Benzos. It has been a long hard road and I have a long way to go.
    I'm asking others to please take part in World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day or do some research before ingesting these drugs.

Use the address supplied above or on Facebook: @WorldBenzoDay for further information about the upcoming observance on July 11th.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #14

Thanks for this post.
    After my son died I had sleeping problems as well as deep grief. All of the doctors/counselors I saw wanted to give me anti- depressents or sleeping meds.
    I'm an herbalist so I was not interested in this stuff, and knew I was dealing with grief and not depression etc.

I was also already aware of the many terrible side effects of these meds.

Also in grieving parent groups I attended, I heard about how difficult it was for folks to get off the anti-depressants: One woman said that she'd felt like killing her neighbor and another parent said they felt suicidal--both these people each said they'd never had feelings like that until they tried to get off the meds.

Cannabis is a much better alternative.

July 11th is World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day

For the video please go to:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNE...PuaKg1uuSJHAbg
    Last edited by Barry; 07-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

27. TopTop #15
    parlyvous

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaiasophia: View Post
    After my son died I had sleeping problems as well as deep grief. All of the doctors/counselors I saw wanted to give me anti- depressants or sleeping meds.
    Cannabis is a much better alternative.
    For some ^^^. Any forum or those experiencing withdrawals or survived the journey from Benzos do not recommend even cannabis. Cannabis is great for many things, but brain receptor damage due to use of Benzos does not benefit from cannabis or delays the healing of those brain receptors.

Wish it was that easy. Benzos are the worst drug to come off of by far. Withdrawal, symptoms, healing can take months to years.

There are no known drugs, supplements that are tried and true. Some well-meaning folks will say, "Drink a lot of water and flush it out of your system." "Take such-and-such a supplement and do a rapid cleansing...either don't work or IF they did they push the Benzos out of your system rapidly and you go through even worse withdrawal.
    Thus the outcry against the prescribing of such an addictive class of drugs.

Massachusetts is trying to pass a Bill to warn the public and control the prescribing of this horrific drug (Benzodiazepines...all the 'pam drugs, 'pin drug such as Klonopin, Clonazepam, Diazepam (Valium) etc. I'm sure other States will follow suit. Hopefully other countries will also. Millions are suffering yes, and dying!

Withdrawal, especially Cold Turkey (no tapering off slowly) can cause brain seizures, CNS damage (which still can happen during a taper for some people.)

Please go to the suggested site for information and research side effects of withdrawing from Benzos.

As far as anti-depressants, they bring their own problems and should be tapered off slowly.

The theory of Chemical Brain Imbalance is being challenged also. Does one's brain have a lack of Paxil, or Valium etc and need them to 'become balanced'? NO. I have an article that addresses this very issue but it would take up much space here. I will try and locate the source and post.

You were wise to see your 'problems' were situational ( ie: grief, for others anxiety from similar situations, life occurrances) and refuse anti depressants. Most of life's traumas need intervention with support and cognitive thinking, not drugs that do more harm that good.

It is (Benzos) nothing to take lightly, it Kills and destroys lives.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #16
    parlyvous

In the throes of tapering my meds and withdrawals, so I'm going to post some videos (if ok) that might explain and make this issue more clear so family and friends of those afflicted might understand better. I'm in touch with many going through this Hell and amazing how many have had family and friends walk away and leave them to struggle alone or mostly so. Please, just because the wounds are not visible, please know people are suffering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwTH...ature=youtu.be

What We Wish Family And Friends Knew About Benzo Withdrawal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZJZE6_z3-Tw

The Risks of taking benzodiazepines. A MUST watch!!

Thanks.

30. TopTop #17
    parlyvous

The U.K. is ahead of the U.S. in addressing the Benzodiazepine epidemic. They at least acknowledge the harm that is being done. Some excerpts from Benzo.org.uk

"It is more difficult to withdraw people from benzodiazepines than it is from heroin. It just seems that the dependency is so ingrained and the withdrawal symptoms you get are so intolerable that people have a great deal of problem coming off. The other aspect is that with heroin, usually the withdrawal is over within a week or so. With benzodiazepines, a proportion of patients go on to long term withdrawal and they have very unpleasant symptoms for month after month, and I get letters from people saying you can go on for two years or more. Some of the tranquilliser groups can document people who still have symptoms ten years after stopping." - Professor Malcolm H Lader, Royal Maudesley Hospital, BBC Radio 4, Face The Facts, March 16, 1999.

"The biggest drug-addiction problem in the world doesn't involve heroin, cocaine or marijuana. In fact, it doesn't involve an illegal drug at all. The world's biggest drug-addiction problem is posed by a group of drugs, the benzodiazepines, which are widely prescribed by doctors and taken by countless millions of perfectly ordinary people around the world... Drug-addiction experts claim that getting people off the benzodiazepines is more difficult than getting addicts off heroin... For several years now pressure-groups have been fighting to help addicted individuals break free from their pharmacological chains. But the fight has been a forlorn one. As fast as one individual breaks free from one of the benzodiazepines another patient somewhere else becomes addicted. I believe that the main reason for this is that doctors are addicted to prescribing benzodiazepines just as much as patients are hooked on taking them. I don't think that the problem can ever be solved by gentle persuasion or by trying to wean patients off these drugs. I think that the only genuine long-term solution is to be aware of these drugs and to avoid them like the plague. The uses of the benzodiazepines are modest and relatively insignificant. We can do without them. I don't think that the benzodiazepine problem will be solved until patients around the world unite and make it clear that they are not prepared to accept prescriptions for these dangerous products." - Dr Vernon Coleman, Life Without Tranquillisers, 1985. More Quotations »»
    "Benzodiazepines are indicated for the short-term relief (two to four weeks only) of anxiety that is severe, disabling or subjecting the individual to unacceptable distress, occurring alone or in association with insomnia." CSM, January 1988. See also the CMO's Update, 2004 and the BNF Guidance, November 2013.

The Prime Minister on Benzodiazepine Addiction: "First, I pay tribute to the hon. Gentleman (Jim Dobbin, MP), who has campaigned strongly on this issue over many years. I join him in paying tribute to Professor Ashton, whom I know has considerable expertise in this area. He is right to say that this is a terrible affliction; these people are not drug addicts but they have become hooked on repeat prescriptions of tranquillisers. The Minister for Public Health is very happy to discuss this issue with him and, as he says, make sure that the relevant guidance can be issued." - Rt. Hon. David Cameron MP, Prime Minister, October 23, 2013.
    "Benzodiazepine prescribing guidelines [published in 1988] have had no effect whatsoever on prescribing and GPs are now being sued...they are being picked off one by one and the size of damages being paid will force the medical defence unions to issue further warnings. This is an ongoing problem which has not been addressed by the medical profession, but is at last being addressed by the legal profession." - Professor Malcolm H Lader, Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychopharmacology, King's College, London, January 2012.

More quotes and information can be found at benzo.org.uk

In the U.S. one cannot yet, take up litigation against prescribing doctors. Law firms won't touch such cases. I wonder if due to the ability to sue doctors now, in the U.K., they, those in the medical profession have approached the legal community and perhaps with pay offs, are attempting to stifle those that are trying to stem the flow of even more unwitting people being sacrificed to the addictive and very toxic effects of Benzos. I myself have contacted a law firm who just last year was collecting names of people so affected. This year you get a letter from said law firm saying they cannot accept such cases. Makes one wonder. It isn't about the money (although many are unable to work, have lost homes, families, health) as no amount of money would give a person back the months and even years that they have lost to Benzodiazepines.

Please don't think if you've been on them for a short period of time or that you are taking a 'small' dose, that you are exempt from the chance of becoming addicted, or that you have taken them previously and come to no harm, that this time around you will escape the negative effects. Benzos impact the Central Nervous System, wrecking havoc. Once incurred, there is no going back. You face a long painful withdrawal. There is no short-cut to tapering off Benzos, it is a long tedious process. No magic supplements or going to a rehab. Benzos don't work like other drugs. They are insidious beyond belief. Educate yourself and others. Benzos should only be used in a hospital setting for acute emergency care, such as seizures. Long term use only leads to exacerbation of the symptoms they were initially prescribed to alleviate. They should be banned.

31. TopTop #18
    Maxime

For those of you following this thread who are interested in learning about how your genetics may be playing a role in symptoms that drove benzo use and particularly troublesome results of use, there is a free online teach-in on interpreting genetic SNPS. Here is the link: https://urltag.net/BqcVF

With love,
    Maxime Zahra Stadlen
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2017 at 02:09 PM.

32. TopTop #19
    parlyvous

A few (of the many thousands) posts from people going through the Hell of trying to withdraw from Benzos:
    (a couple new ones without names, that others wanted added. :(
    ------
    Oh this journey is so hard and I feel for each and every one of you trying to get through the horror day after day. It's so difficult to keep believing that it's all going to end as you're pounded by symptoms and pulled back again and again. Every aspect of your life is affected; you can't see clearly, you can't hear clearly, you can't eat everything you would like to, your mind is dominated by cruel and obsessive thoughts, anxiety grips you, sleep is impossible, your physical appearance is haggard and drawn and your limbs are stiff and painful. You cry out but nobody can help you, nobody in your real life may even believe you. But it will end, all this is a temporary readjustment and for some reason it's a hell on Earth that those of us here have had to experience.

We look for answers, we look for an escape route with anything and everything that maybe just give us a way out but when we've finally been battered this way and that we realise that the only answer is literally to give up, give in to the dragon that has us in its firey talons .

-----
    Completely rigid etc, my GP stopped my 36 yr benzo prescription for a spinal cord & brainstem tear, resulting in massive cold.turkey seizure event. I was completely paralysed with a locked-in-type syndrome. Sent home in a wheelchair & had to learn how to do Everything myself. Left with Serious spinal cord damage & activity that causes neurotoxic brain damage & loss to increaae since. All thru drs& neuro's ignorance & disbelief & repeated refusal of expertise from Prof A herself. Id always queried meds &side-effects & esp c/t withdrawal. Drs repeatedly told "safe & needed them & this time c/t best". ��.
    -----
    Forced cold turkey in April after taking 10mg of Valium for over the last year and a half and also 300mg of Venlafaxine when really the max dose for this is 225mg yet I was on 300mg and was also forced off this cold turkey on this exact dose as well and have been on a ton of other meds in this time also. A cocktail of crap I would say. Medical negligence at its very worst and I am an ultimate victim of their extreme neglect towards me. Its criminal. They're criminals. All of them are.
    ---------
    My little window went away. Last night was horrible. I'm hurting more from people not understanding and leaving me to basically fend for myself. So tired of this.

(windows are times when the symptoms ease. Some get them some don't)

----------

I really feel like there is something wrong w me majorly , I went to sleep and had a couple dreams & woke up scared internal shaking the dreams wernt scary either,.. I don't understand my brain is going 1000 miles a min ever since I had a dizzy spell it's put me in a horrific wave , my head feels like it's going to explode I keep feeling like I'm going to die from tumor cancer anerueym stroke etc ,, why did a dizzy spell put me this far back I don't understand:(

--------

I'm very kindled and very sick. Does it get better. Severe insomnia, akathesia, nerve pain, head vibrations. Do people like me get better. I'm home bound and miss my life. So scared!

Kindled is when you have stopped and started back up several times with no problem and then suddenly it becomes difficult and you go through withdrawal. I'm not explaining it that well - maybe there should be a file with definitions of common terms used?

-------

Wd are horrendous luv your brain doesn't know how to calm down anymore as the gaba receptors are damaged only time can heal. I know it's pure hell but I promise u u are just in bad Wd. You really can make ur Wd a lot worse by the way u think. I know it's so hard to try think positive but if u can try stop telling yourself your gonna die and let your body accept this is a process and takes a lot of time for you're brain to recover. Being dizzy comes first hand in Wd your blood pressure will probaby be low. Get a wet cloth put it around your head find a quiet spot and just breath luv it's all u can do at this stage

Wd= withdrawals

------

I know alcohol is a big no no...but when my window closed last night I wished I could drink a bit. I know...anytime I did drink it was a scoop from my protein powder and that was all. I'm so tired of this terrible process of so-called healing. Just a teeny cut and I'm miserable.

cut= when one 'cuts' their dose down...generally this causes increased symptoms and suffering, but is the only way to hopefully, safely slowly go off the drug. This can takes weeks, months and sometimes years.

------

I'm so sorry but wd is an horrendous nightmare
    -----------

When the group (online support group) was asked about considering taking benzos

*Not unless u want to experience living in hell and feeling as if something has possessed and completely took over your body. These drugs are not to be messed around with ie taking it just when and if u need too. Stay clear and try to do everything u can other than take benzos. U honestly at this moment can only imagine what we are all telling you.

*Dontttttttttttttttttttt, only if you want the taste of Hell.

* If you want months of no sleep, nightmares, internal and external shaking, headaches, severe tinnitus,
    inability to walk or need to walk and walk, loss of weight to the point of looking anorexic, visual and olfactory hallucinations, seizures, loss of health, job, perhaps family as I did. Feel free to take them.

-------

Hi everyone.. feeling depressed that I am not feeling alot better almost 18months off a Ct. of klonopin.... I know it takes a long time for some people.. but I literally feel like my head is inbetween bookends that are squeezing my skull. and other horrid stuff.. it is difficult for me to do anything because when I do stuff it makes it worse....................... how do I stay hopeful that I will recover from this nightmare....... I wish I could go back and change this mistake of ever taking that pill................ nightmare for me and for so man y....................... just needing to vent
    ------

One thing is for sure our so called friends don't understand our suffering & really just give up on us. It is so painful & hurts. I as many others too learn you loose friends in this, it's not fair that they don't understand & we are so needy of support or we wouldn't reach out. I'm on my own & wouldn't survive if I didn't have other warriors who understood me here. Much love sent your way, I'm sorry chicky it's not fair. You will slowly let them go as it gets too painful for them too keep hurting you & not support you.

Note: For some reason many people going through tapering and withdrawal get isolated. People don't see wounds or a diagnosis such as Cancer, they don't understand or try and under stand. It happens frequently. Family members stop interacting with the afflicted, spouses leave, sibling desert siblings.
    ------------

Yes, sadly, coming back to yourself doesn't come quickly. Withdrawal side effects can be brutal. I had depression, hallucinations, and psychosis.
    ------------

I am here because I was unknowingly exposed to a drug and over time it almost killed me but it did not because I decided to suffer through the difficult process of withdrawals which feel like they might kill me :(

------

These types of posts go on and on in Support groups. At times the cry for help is because someone is so exhausted from the unending symptoms day after day they grow exhausted and despair and want to just die.

This is the hell doctors have subjected trusting clients to, by prescribing benzos indiscriminately and chronically. Some are so clueless or arrogant they suggest to even drink alcohol during the withdrawal. Dangerous and damaged the brain one is trying to heal through the difficult withdrawal process.
    It is time this prescribing of such a toxic class of drugs is stopped!!

Benzos should only be prescribed in a hospital setting for such things as seizures or prepping for surgery. Long term use can subject one to dependency and a very difficult withdrawal.

-----------
    Last edited by Barry; 08-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.

33. TopTop #20
    parlyvous

For those going through Benzo Hell an heartening article:

https://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/2016...ack-to-normal/

There is life after benzo withdrawal.

Good life. Sweet life. Juicy life! It is waiting, just up ahead, for you. Don’t ever doubt it. Keep going. I know it’s a long and lonely road, but each step brings you closer to being whole and healed. You will get back to normal (whatever that is) and this detour down the rabbit-hole will be a distant memory. You’ll scamper off and you’ll slowly forget this challenging chapter. You’ll be so busy writing a new story, that you won’t have time to look back.

34. TopTop #21
    parlyvous

and a reminder if you are tapering and withdrawing from Benzos.
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand