Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

The Press Democrat’s Biased Coverage of the Wine Industry

Read today’s Press Democrat’s biased article on yesterday’s peaceful memorial service for the dead trees surrounding the schools with some 700 students on Watertrough Rd. in the Sebastopol countryside being butchered by the Paul Hobbs Winery and weep. These children are like sacrificial lambs to the bloated wine industry. Pesticides, such as Hobbs uses, are documented to cause and worsen a variety of problems, including cancer, asthma, and developmental/reproductive problems.

The article is a classic example of unbalanced reporting. I accuse the PD of the following:

1. Professional journalism is supposed to have a "firewall" between its advertisers and its news. Hobbs and the wine industry advertise heavily in the PD, which treats them as heroes, which they are not. The wine industry rules Sonoma County. They are basically industrial alcohol producers, who have transformed the natural “Redwood Empire” into the commercial “Wine Country.” However, there are many good wine-grape growers who follow organic and sustainable practices here, which does not include Hobbs.

2. It is inaccurate to say "Twin Hills School District is working with Paul Hobbs..." They work FOR him, as does the Agricultural Commissioner.

3. Where is that "fence to limit the dust" that the article alleges? I did not see it when I was there yesterday, as the dust flowed over us.

4. Twin Hills Schools Superintendent Barbara Bickford has not taken "great strides to address the concerns" of parents and neighbors, as she contends. She lies as badly as do the Ag. Com. and the Hobbs PR person Tara Sharp.

5. Is the reporter blind? He writes,"Hobbs is required to water the fields during tree removal." Where was that water? The dust was so bad that I had to leave, or it could have ignited an asthma attack.

6. Hobbs is no "grower," as Superintendent Bickford alleges. He is an industrial alcohol producer with a long record of clear-cutting trees to extract more wealth from our county. He is no “local farmer,” as he contends, who gets his hands in the dirt, but a global wine baron with vineyards in at least half a dozen countries. He has a long history of skirting permits, paying paltry fines, and stealing land from neighbors. He skirts permits, pays the paltry fines, and steals land from his neighbors.

The PD article is not balanced; it is biased. It could be used in journalism classes on journalism, such as I’ve taught, as a sample of what not to do.

This vineyard conversion was a done deal long before the public heard about it. Government and school officials concealed the information that this travesty was going to happen, lacking transparency. Only until all permits and paperwork were finished for Hobbs to proceed did Bickford release information to parents.

This article is a cover for the Paul Hobbs Winery's contamination of that land and its poisoning of the students and others who visit those schools. Shame on them! Hobbs gives the many decent and real growers a bad name.

At least the PD got some good quotes from Thomas Cooper, a parent, of the new Apple Roots Group, the event’s organizer, and Lori Gatmaitan, a mother of one of the students. The direct action was theirs, which is what the focus should have been in the article. Instead, more ink was given to those defending Hobbs, a known bad apple and bad neighbor. But he is rich, and gives money to those who support him.

I hope some of you can join Lori and Thomas today around 2 p.m. at the bought-off Board of Supervisors. Why aren’t the supervisors representing their constituencies?

I imagine that Sonoma West News and Times will do a better job of reporting, as usual. Look for its coverage online Wed. night and in print Thur. a.m., well worth the 50 cents.
    Shepherd Bliss, Apple Roots Group (ARG),
    Whose mascot is the tenacious gopher :)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    mamaj

Re: The Press Democrat’s Biased Coverage of the Wine Industry

I am not surprised how the press democrat and county officials are dealing with this vineyard coming in. I am shocked the local schools went along with Hobbs business scams ,ignoring their students health and safety all the way,and still expect the students to return .How much $$$$ has Paul Hobbs been paying them to work with him? It is obvious the school is working with him and his so-called company. Is there a compentant trust worthy lawyer in this county or near by counties which will step up to the plate and work with us,the victims of their harmful actions? My daughter has been doing so well at Orchard View. Her last report card was great ,and her teacher is wonderful...but with this vineyard activity going on is a nightmare . Why wait until we all begin getting ill from his winery to file lawsuits,I believe the time is now BEFORE we become ill and have life long sickness ,which in reality will actually shorten our lives. The schools are now involved in a wrongful activity and are failing to cover up their tracks. Their only concern is money and not their students and families let alone neighbors.I think the No Smoking sign should be removed in their driveway,that is rediculous. They are against smoking ,but they will allow Hobbs to poison their campus and students and all involved .We as responsible caring parents need to file a mayjor lawsuit against Hobbs and Twin Hills school district. And in the settlement demand Hobbs immediatly stop his activities near all the schools and that the school have a open ,honest communication with all parents and students who have worked so hard to make their schools a great place to learn .There are alot of good people who would care for this property in a responsible manner and even turn it into a land trust and clean it up. This part of Mother Earth needs to be saved from being destroyed,and needs to be protected.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Read today’s Press Democrat’s biased article on yesterday’s peaceful memorial service for the dead trees surrounding the schools with some 700 students on Watertrough Rd. in the Sebastopol countryside being butchered by the Paul Hobbs Winery and weep. ...

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    sebastacat

"Great strides"?

The only "great strides" that are being made by the superintendent are in the hitting of a new low when it comes to protecting the health, well-being and overall interests of the students, parents, teachers and staff who will be impacted by this nightmare of a vineyard conversion which is starting to unfold.

When I was there yesterday, several emotions ran through my mind. The first, of course, was profound sadness when I saw the decimation which was caused by the butchering of all of those beautiful apple trees and the backhoe in the background chopping away at the stumps and surrounding earth.

But at the same time, it was also heartwarming to see so many people take time out of their busy lives on a Monday morning to protest what can only be described as rapacious decimation of a beautiful west county property. Unfortunately, now that the carnage is underway, that sense of peace and tranquility will be lost, and that property and all the schools and the entire neighborhood around it will never be the same again.

Yes, Shepherd, I thought the article was pretty cookie-cutter and completely devoid of any investigative journalism. In fact, there were many lines in there that were quite similar to those which I've seen in other stories surrounding this subject.

But perhaps the most journalistically egregious line in the entire article had to do with our "ag commissioner,"
    Tony Linegar, saying that the chemicals which will be used in the growing and production of grapes at this site -- Roundup and sulfur -- will be much safer than those which are used on apples.

First of all, where does the reporter get his information from, on the back of the wrapper of a cracker-jack prize? Did he bother to go up to the Sonoma County Ag Commissioner's office and ask for the list of chemicals which Hobbs uses at his other vineyards here in Sonoma County?

Well, guess what? The dedicated members of the Watertrough Children's Alliance did. And what did they find out? That Hobbs reported using over 30 (thirty) chemicals to the Sonoma County Ag Commissioner, many of which were known to cause cancer and are quite toxic!

And yet, our "ag commissioner" continues to spew the byline that Hobbs will only be using two chemicals at this new vineyard -- sulfur and Roundup.

Sebastacat feels that if we cannot trust our ag commissioner to tell the truth on this important point, what CAN we trust him on? Will he continue to spew such irresponsible lies in the future whenever a controversial issue rears its ugly head?

Perhaps this is easier for him to do than confronting the inconvenient truth.

Nevertheless, I believe that he needs to be called out on this, since if he is not, he will continue to resort to such tactics in the future. And while that might be good for the wine industry, it will not be good -- nor acceptable -- for the taxpaying public which he is being paid to serve.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Read today’s Press Democrat’s biased article on yesterday’s peaceful memorial service for the dead trees ...

The article is a classic example of unbalanced reporting. I accuse the PD of the following:
    Their article is here. I must take exception with my friend Shepherd. I think the article is balanced, if limited. Were it to be aligned fully with Shepherd's objections it wouldn't be "balanced". Seems to me both sides were represented fairly, with the exception of just one mention of "toxic dust" at the end of the article and no explanation of why it is considered toxic (contains DDT and other pesticides). It wasn't an investigative article and didn't purport to be one.

Beyond that, it doesn't go into the larger issues of further regulation of vineyard conversions and management practices beyond the vineyard at the site of the protest, as well as the even larger issue of pesticide and herbicide use in general, particularly roundup. These are larger issues and reasonably outside the scope of the article. I'd like to see a larger movement on these larger issues, worthy of a larger article!
    Last edited by Barry; 06-18-2013 at 11:44 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5

Posted by Thomas Cooper: I was interviewed by the reporter at the Decorate the Gate Action. His article captured very little of what was happening at the Orchard. He mentioned obtaining a copy of the MOU negotiated between Twin Hills as no one has seen it. Nothing was mentioned about this nor the presence of heavy machinery stirring up dust clouds with children present on the Apple Blossom Campus and no dust abatement measures in place. He could of objectively reported what was happening there in contrast to the pat answers from Superintendent Barbara Bickford. Who said, “The school district will monitor dust levels in the air” Dust was present at the site with no dust abatement measures in place, no one monitoring it. I attended the school board meeting on June12 and mention was made of monitoring but no concrete steps of what would happen. I could smell, taste the dust and my face, glasses and hair were coated with dust. Maben Rainwater said“I think we, as a district, are going to need to keep Hobbs' feet to the fire,”

If this is their idea of keeping his feet to the fire than its going to be a very cold summer.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Their article is here. I must take exception with my friend Shepherd. I think the article is balanced, if limited. Were it to be aligned fully with Shepherd's objections it wouldn't be "balanced". Seems to me both sides were represented fairly, with the exception of just one mention of "toxic dust" at the end of the article and no explanation of why it is considered toxic (contains DDT and other pesticides). It wasn't an investigative article and didn't purport to be one.

Beyond that, it doesn't go into the larger issues of further regulation of vineyard conversions and management practices beyond the vineyard at the site of the protest, as well as the even larger issue of pesticide and herbicide use in general, particularly roundup. These are larger issues and reasonably outside the scope of the article. I'd like to see a larger movement on these larger issues, worthy of a larger article!

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    sebastacat

Thank you, Thomas, for setting the record straight. You would know, since you were the one being interviewed, as well as those present, which included me, Shepherd, Magick and a host of others who were present whether or not the article was a true reflection of what occurred the day of the demonstration, as well as whether or not it was biased and -- even more importantly -- accurate.

Also, the fact that it is so devoid of any trace of investigative journalism leads me to question seriously the objectivity of the reporter as well as the newspaper responsible for publishing it.

Statements were made by various individuals from the County of Sonoma (the "ag" commissioner) as well as officials from the school district (Superitent Bickford and Trustee Mabel Rainwater) which the reporter made no attempt whatsoever to verify.

As to any dust-monitoring measures in place, the reporter was right there the morning of the demonostration. Did he observe any air- or dust-monitoring devices in operation? I didn't, and I was there.

Did he observe any attempt by Hobbs to keep his promise that no work would be done while any students were on campus and in the classroom? I didn't, and I was there. In fact, I and others present observed the bulldozer in the background on the upper part of the property hacking away at the stumps and disturbing the earth.

Did he observe any measures being taken by the school board and Superintendent Bickford to "hold their feet to the fire"? I didn't, and I was there.

The dearth of promised protective measures astonishes Sebastacat.

However, what astonishes him even more was the fact that the reporter responsible for writing this article took the above-mentioned individuals' statements as gospel when the evidence -- or, shall we say, lack thereof -- was right under his nose.

I commend you, Thomas, and your group for your continued opposition to this rapacious vineyard conversion which is occurring as I write this post, for making a stellar and valiant attempt to protect the students, teachers, staff, parents and neigbors who are and will continue to be affected by this horrific project -- and for having the courage to form an opinion, take a position and stand up for what you believe is right and just.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7

For folks that don't know what MOU stands for it is Memorandum of Understanding.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thomas Cooper: View Post
    Posted by Thomas Cooper: I was interviewed by the reporter at the Decorate the Gate Action. His article captured very little of what was happening at the Orchard. He mentioned obtaining a copy of the MOU negotiated between Twin Hills as no one has seen it....
    Last edited by Barry; 06-20-2013 at 12:28 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #8
    mamaj

Remember,a few years back when Dutton and Phelps were putting in their vineyards in Freestone there was a town hall meeting . I had written on the large black board provided for complaints for the public . I had written the true and honest fact that ever since Dutton had been spraying horrible smelly chemicals on his baby grape plants I began having breathing problems,I almost died twice when I was actually suffacating. The paramedics came to my home and got me breathing again and took me to the E.R. It was several hours later after being on a breathing machine I was finally allowed to return home.I have had asthma ever since. Do you or your children want to go through this- hell no!

Anyway ,a farm worker spoke that evening with a translater, about the use of "roundup" . He also had health issues and spoke about what it does to the earth and enviroment. It does not evaporate or disappear. It stays there forever doing toxic damage. When water mixes with it ,it runs into ditches in the vineyards , to additional run off areas ,then into the local creeks (Salmon crk) etc. and rivers and lakes ponds and oceans.

Mr.Dutton came over to me when my neighbor who leased him the land for his vineyard pointed me out. He looked angry and uptight,trying to intimidate me with his wrierd looks. And he said to me " so you really have asthma?" I said yes,and I have the medical records to prove it. Then his look changed,I told him I knew he was using harmful chemicals and also "roundup" he told me ,"roundup was so safe if I brought him a bottle he would drink the whole thing to prove it."I gave him my phone number and told him to call me and I would meet with him with a bottle of it. I never did hear from him again. Maybe we should set up a date with Hobbs and Dutton and watch them as they drink their poison which they claim is harmless,better yet let's invite that Ag. guy too!

16. Gratitude expressed by: