Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    wildflower

Re: A bear near Sebastopol

I have never heard of any black bears killing large animals.
    This sounds like a hoax to me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by odeek9: View Post
    .... As far as diet is concerned it's extremely eclectic but the taking down of a deer or moose calf, etc., which does happen (by adult males normally), is not a weekly event. ...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #62
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    They do on occasion. You may want to look it up. But as I said in my post it does appear a bit strange. On the other hand, my neighbor is not one to play a "hoax." And for him to share the story with me just a day, or two, following Scott's original post, and with us never discussing the young bear sightings seems out of whack.
    Last edited by odeek9; 06-07-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: too abrupt

3. TopTop #63
    scamperwillow

Some info about bears and livestock. If possible, it might be instructive to share this with your neighbor and see if it fits:

Few black bears learn to kill livestock, but the behavior, once developed, usually persists. The severity of black bear predation makes solving the problem very important to the individuals who suffer the losses. If bears are suspect, look for deep tooth marks (about 1/2 inch [1.3 cm] in diameter) on the neck directly behind the ears. On large animals, look for large claw marks (1/2 inch [1.3 cm] between individual marks) on the shoulders and sides.

Bear predation must be distinguished from coyote or dog attacks. Coyotes typically attack the throat region. Dogs chase their prey, often slashing the hind legs and mutilating the animal. Tooth marks on the back of the neck are not usually found on coyote and dog kills. Claw marks are less prominent on coyote or dog kills, if present at all.

Different types of livestock behave differently when attacked by bears. Sheep tend to bunch up when approached. Often three or more will be killed in a small area. Cattle have a tendency to scatter when a bear approaches. Kills usually consist of single animals. Hogs can evade bears in the open and are more often killed when confined. Horses are rarely killed by bears, but they do get clawed on the sides.

After an animal is killed, black bears will typically open the body cavity and remove the internal organs. The liver and other vital organs are eaten first, followed by the hindquarters. Udders of lactating females are also preferred. When a bear makes a kill, it usually returns to the site at dusk. Bears prefer to feed alone. If an animal is killed in the open, the bear may drag it into the woods or brush and cover the remains with leaves, grass, soil, and forest debris. The bear will periodically return to this cache site to feed on the decomposing carcass.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post

4. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

5. TopTop #64
    scamperwillow

Well - here is the PD's story about the goats and bear. Lots more detail and more suspicious that is was the bear.
    Bear may have killed goats in Monte Rio

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...s-in-Monte-Rio
    Last edited by Barry; 06-07-2013 at 07:50 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #65
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Oh, I wish we could see the photos and video of the bear swimming in Richard Scott's pool!!!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Well - here is the PD's story about the goats and bear. Lots more detail and more suspicious that is was the bear.

8. TopTop #66
    odeek9

Thanks for the additional information. I was just told 2 things: there evidently was a story on channel 2 news last night; and my neighbor-a different one- lives about a hundred yards from me said the bear was in their backyard around dusk yesteday. I wondered as not only were the crows going berserk, but my Beagle Odee, on our 2:00 am walk, was behaving very erratically.

This bear has to get to the reserve at the coast quickly or she's a dead bear.

9. TopTop #67
    peggykarp

This bear has to get to the reserve at the coast quickly or she's a dead bear.
    Why can't Fish and Game sedate the bear and move it to the reserve?

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #68
    Linzer92

Sighting of same cinnamon colored bear yesterday around 4 pm, June 8th. I was driving on Joy Rd in Occidental. The bear lumbered across Joy and very nimbly pulled himself over the gate of the 2829 Joy Rd property. The property's heavy redwood gate was shut but the bear had no trouble scaling it. He appeared to knock down a post or rail in the process. What was interesting was his confidence and familiarity with the place. There was something on the other side he must frequently forage. We notified the sheriff's office who will contact f&g.

12. TopTop #69
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Linzer92: View Post
    Sighting of same cinnamon colored bear yesterday around 4 pm, June 8th. I was driving on Joy Rd in Occidental. The bear lumbered across Joy and very nimbly pulled himself over the gate of the 2829 Joy Rd property. The property's heavy redwood gate was shut but the bear had no trouble scaling it. He appeared to knock down a post or rail in the process. What was interesting was his confidence and familiarity with the place. There was something on the other side he must frequently forage. We notified the sheriff's office who will contact f&g.
    Why?

13. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

14. TopTop #70
    Dr Pam

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Linzer92: View Post
    We notified the sheriff's office who will contact f&g.
    Tattle tale! Stoolie! Informer! Rat fink!

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #71
    scamperwillow

Well I sure wish they could tranq him and move him (or her), but we don't want to see any peple harmed either as the bear gets closer and braver.... Should we start a movement to save the bear and move him someplace safe?

Why?

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #72
    kcflowers

Why?
    As a frequent and respectful invader of the bears' space in the Sierra's, meaning I often camp in the mountains, I would like to remind all that these are not cuddly creatures - they can tear apart cars to get what they want.

While camping, we act responsibly so the bears are not put in danger by our negligence; I'm not sure how I would bear-proof my house or chicken coop. Short of boarding up my windows with iron bars, the bear could easily gain access if he saw or smelt something inside that he wanted.

I don't want to be a fear-monger, but I just think we should be realistic about bears' habits and capabilities. I don't want any harm to come to the bears. During a class about the black bears, the ranger said that when the parks first opened, the bears were fed by tourists and became aggressive when they weren't given what they wanted. Once they became aggressive, they were shot. Don't leave any food out for them and keep garbage inside.

19. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

20. TopTop #73
    peggykarp

Well I sure wish they could tranq him and move him (or her), but we don't want to see any peple harmed either as the bear gets closer and braver.... Should we start a movement to save the bear and move him someplace safe?
    I think that's a great idea.

21. TopTop #74
    gypsey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr Pam: View Post
    Tattle tale! Stoolie! Informer! Rat fink!
    What is the point of calling this poster names? The fact is, the department of fish and wildlife tracks and monitors bears as part of its responsibility to keep them safe from us humans.

If we care about this bear, we should care that s/he be encouraged to leave human habitation for a more wild and natural environment. This means eliminating attractants, learning ways to discourage the bear from hanging around, and notifying fish and wildlife so that they can continue to monitor the bear and remove him safely if that becomes necessary.

In addition to their "keep them wild" education campaign, the website www.dfg.ca.gov also discusses in detail the challenging issue of bear management and safety and gives important tips about bear behavior. It also describes the escalating steps that can be taken should a bear become a nuisance or safety threat. The dfg (department of fish and wildlife was called department of fish and game before) describes the following levels in bear management:

1. Remove all attractants so the bear won't be interested..
    2. If the bear persists in hanging around, learn how to actively discourage the bear so it leaves.(Bears can learn to open doors, and can become progressively destructive and are strongly attracted to smells.)
    3. If the bear becomes a nuisance, the dfg can decide to tranquilize and remove the bear to safer habitat.
    4. But if the bear will not remain in this safer habitat and returns, and it's behavior escalates as a threat to public safety or livestock, THEN the landowner can apply for a "depradation permit" to kill the bear.
    Personally I would like to be sure dfg is on the case long before it gets to level 4!

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #75
    gypsey

The DFG (Department of fish and wildlife/game) has a multi-level program for bear management. I learned by visiting their website www.dfg.ca.gov that they will tranquilize and remove a bear to a safer wild habitat if it starts to become a nuisance.

24. TopTop #76
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    The DFG (Department of fish and wildlife/game) has a multi-level program for bear management. I learned by visiting their website www.dfg.ca.gov that they will tranquilize and remove a bear to a safer wild habitat if it starts to become a nuisance.
    Can you (or someone) provide a link about this?

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #77
    odeek9

I'll have to be convinced by more than the words of the DFG, not always known for their veracity, as far as the sedation and relocation of problematic (for whatever perceived reason) bears is concerned. They most certainly used to but my understanding is that the relocation program was phased out some time ago due to financial restrictions. If it is indeed back in play then great! but I have my reservations.

As far as the "name calling" post is concerned I thought that it was unmistakenly done in humor. I laughed.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #78
    scamperwillow

I heard somewhere that they will not relocate bears any more. By start a movement, I meant a petition or something to lobby F&W to move the bear - NOT for us to do it ourself!! No, no, no - that would be crazy. Who wants to start a petition? I would be willing to set it up at one of the petition sites if someone else would do the research on exactly who it should be addressed to.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post

29. Gratitude expressed by:

30. TopTop #79
    Dr Pam

As far as the "name calling" post is concerned I thought that it was unmistakenly done in humor. I laughed.
    That's right

Thanks for getting my humor.

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #80
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dr Pam: View Post
    That's right

Thanks for getting my humor.
    You're welcome-I think the vast majority of members understood your meaning. A somewhat related thought i.e. being mistaken . When I said "unmistakenly," in the original post, it didn't feel quite right. Since we don't have a spellcheck that I'm aware of (Barry?), I looked it up following the post. There is no such word! I was then kinda awaiting a correction from someone, lol!

33. TopTop #81
    Dixon

When I said "unmistakenly," in the original post, it didn't feel quite right. Since we don't have a spellcheck that I'm aware of (Barry?), I looked it up following the post. There is no such word! I was then kinda awaiting a correction from someone, lol!
    Presumably the word you were looking for was "unmistakably". Since your meaning seemed pretty clear, I saw no point in correcting you. (I have learned the hard way that many people resent being corrected, even gently.)

34. TopTop #82
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Presumably the word you were looking for was "unmistakably". Since your meaning seemed pretty clear, I saw no point in correcting you. (I have learned the hard way that many people resent being corrected, even gently.)
    Yup, that's the word I meant to use. As once an English/Lit. major many, many years ago that type of error is particularly offensive. I've forgotten so much that it's a bit disconcerting. I'm constantly mixing there and their up . Ah, the life of one afflicted with OCD!!

35. TopTop #83
    Chris Dec
    Supporting Member

Ah... but we DO have a Spell Checker: Reptilian Overlord 2.0.
    Since we don't have a spellcheck that I'm aware of (Barry?), I looked it up following the post. There is no such word! I was then kinda awaiting a correction from someone, lol!
    Last edited by Barry; 06-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

37. TopTop #84
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by [email protected]: View Post
    Ah... but we DO have a Spell Checker: Reptilian Overlord 2.0.
    Would you, or anyone, please point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it. Thanks

38. TopTop #85
    Dixon

Would you, or anyone, please point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
    She was referring to me.

39. TopTop #86
    chollie

People might want to check out Steve Searles for managing bears near humans. https://www.thebearwhisperer.com/about-steve.html

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #87
    podfish

Y.... When I said "unmistakenly," in the original post, it didn't feel quite right. Since we don't have a spellcheck that I'm aware of (Barry?), I looked it up following the post. There is no such word...
    there is now. I like it, it expresses the same sentiment that Bill Maher's "but I'm not wrong" phrase does, and more concisely.

42. TopTop #88
    gypsey

I appreciate the intentions behind your posts, so I wanted to share what I found out from the DFG website.
    As an FYI, I was under the impression that Ca DFG did not tranquilize and remove bears and stated that in an earlier post. But to be sure, I went to their website,( link provided in earlier post as www.dfg.ca.gov.) I was relieved when visiting this website to see that tranquilizing and removing the bear is still an option.
    What all of us might do is contact the dfg to find out more. For example, the bear management info is not easily accessible on the site. I found out about the dreaded "depradation permit" but contacting the Ag Commission. That led me to DFG.
    I have not called them directly about this particular bear who I've only read about on these posts, but anyone can certainly call them.

I heard somewhere that they will not relocate bears any more. By start a movement, I meant a petition or something to lobby F&W to move the bear - NOT for us to do it ourself!! No, no, no - that would be crazy. Who wants to start a petition? I would be willing to set it up at one of the petition sites if someone else would do the research on exactly who it should be addressed to.

43. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

44. TopTop #89
    gypsey

The link is www.dfg.ca.gov but to get to the bear management program details you have to do a search. I used "depradation permit-black bears."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Can you (or someone) provide a link about this?

45. TopTop #90
    gypsey

Thanks for sharing that the posting was meant in jest. Point taken. See my other posts regarding the DFG removal (tranquilization) option. Certainly you can call them and find out directly.

I'll have to be convinced by more than the words of the DFG, not always known for their veracity, as far as the sedation and relocation of problematic (for whatever perceived reason) bears is concerned. They most certainly used to but my understanding is that the relocation program was phased out some time ago due to financial restrictions. If it is indeed back in play then great! but I have my reservations.