Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #91
    odeek9

Re: A bear near Sebastopol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    She was referring to me.
    Great. Now I feel more like an idiot than usual. No more posting from me in the wee hours of the morn!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #92
    peggykarp

F&G's regional office phone #, in Napa, is (707) 944-5500

Their black bear policy is here: https://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/statewidepolicy.html

I called F&G and was put through to their wildlife answering machine. I left a message asking if they have the capability to sedate a bear and remove it to a safe habitat. Their outgoing message said that due to furloughs calls may not be answered right away but they will try to answer on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 2 and 5.
    Stay tuned...

I did get a private response from a WACCOBBian a couple of days ago that said F&G don't have the funds for this. Hopefully he's wrong.

3. TopTop #93
    Dixon

Re: F&W black bear policy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by peggykarp: View Post
    F&G's state-wide black bear policy is here: https://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunt...idepolicy.html
    Edit note (Barry?) When I look at this post on the WACCOBB site for some reason a few letters are omitted. The affected part of the link is hunting/bear/statewidepolicy
    Peggy (and anyone else who may be confused about this), commonly on sites like Wacco, when an url is posted, part of it is suppressed (not displayed) so we don't get super-long urls taking up space in the post. The part left out of the display is replaced by an ellipsis (...). The link will work just fine. It's there in its entirety, just not all displayed in the post.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #94
    Ice Queen

Well, I'm hoping that this beautiful creature can make it's way to Salmon Creek so s/he can have natural food (at least whatever hasn't been poached or poisoned or otherwise damned. Save the bears (and the Gravensteins)!!!

6. TopTop #95
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ice Queen: View Post
    Well, I'm hoping that this beautiful creature can make it's way to Salmon Creek so s/he can have natural food (at least whatever hasn't been poached or poisoned or otherwise damned. Save the bears (and the Gravensteins)!!!
    I keep hoping that she/he will continue west for a single reason. My neighbor, though not particularly specific, spoke to me of either an open space area, preserve, or some type of protected area at the coast where the bear may find a safe harbor. I couldn't find anything via Google. Is this why you mentioned Salmon Creek though it seems like a strange location to me?

7. TopTop #96
    bohomiller

I was just on a job site on Willow Creek and the foreman said there we Bear tracks there this morning. Its still in the area so we need to make its life miserable around people so it will head further west.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by odeek9: View Post
    I keep hoping that she/he will continue west for a single reason. My neighbor, though not particularly specific, spoke to me of either an open space area, preserve, or some type of protected area at the coast where the bear may find a safe harbor. I couldn't find anything via Google. Is this why you mentioned Salmon Creek though it seems like a strange location to me?

8. TopTop #97
    bodegahead

Salmon Creek runs through all Private property including an elementary school and a middle school. Not bear appropriate. I`ve lived out here on the coast 25 years and have never heard of a protected area or sanctuary.

9. TopTop #98
    markfassett

Having read all of these bear-related posts, and the reports of sightings from Occidental Ridge to Willow Creek to Camp Meeker to Monte Rio, and knowing someone who spotted two juvenile-sized bears crossing Dutch Bill Creek together -- I am surprised that the discussion here seems to be about wanting to relocate a single bear. I would bet that there are at least three hungry bears roaming West County these days (perhaps all closely related) -- which makes the task of tracking, tranquilizing, and relocating them quite a challenge. Like the mountain lions that routinely patrol our hills and valleys, I support learning to live with bears in our midst (while discouraging them from depending on our garbage and compost to survive).

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #99
    peggykarp

The Bear's Song
    (more verses invited)

My momma told me,

you're on your own now
    No room for you here,
    You'd better move on.

So I ambled out of the forest
    Down the road I went,
    Looking for a home,
    At least a place to rent.

Cause I'm a'wandering, just a'wandering,
    And I can't find no home in this world.

People think I'm cute
    But they're scared of me too,
    Won't give me nothin to eat,
    What do they expect me to do?

I'm just a bear, a big bear,
    Out here on my own,
    I'm a big hungry bear,
    Please help me find a home.

Cause I'm a'wandering, just a'wandering,
    And I can't find no home in this world.

12. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

13. TopTop #100
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by markfassett: View Post
    Having read all of these bear-related posts, and the reports of sightings from Occidental Ridge to Willow Creek to Camp Meeker to Monte Rio, and knowing someone who spotted two juvenile-sized bears crossing Dutch Bill Creek together -- I am surprised that the discussion here seems to be about wanting to relocate a single bear. I would bet that there are at least three hungry bears roaming West County these days (perhaps all closely related) -- which makes the task of tracking, tranquilizing, and relocating them quite a challenge. Like the mountain lions that routinely patrol our hills and valleys, I support learning to live with bears in our midst (while discouraging them from depending on our garbage and compost to survive).
    That does make sense. Bears ordinarily have 1-3 cubs but normally not all survive due to male bears killing them in order to promote estrous in the female, predation, hunting, etc.. I don't believe that this area exhibits any of those problems to much of an extent. Just surmising but 3 siblings surviving seems realistic to me. I hope so.

Not to mention that the F&G guy who showed up at the initial sighting of the bear said that western Sonoma Co. was supporting an ever growing population of black bears. That's wonderful news as far as I'm concerned.

Btw, mountain lions have been here forever. As a kid in the hills just east of S.R. my friend Orville (lol) and I saw two. They're so secretive it's interesting to wonder how many times each of us has been observed unbeknownst to us.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #101
    peggykarp

Good news! I just talked at length with Larry at the wildlife desk at F&G.

F&G does have the resources to tranquilize and move the bear, (or sometimes they will simply capture it without tranquillizing and move it). They would move it to a wilder area, like the Mendocino Forest.

Larry said that F&G are monitoring the bear and it looks like it's heading west; they're hoping it will get to a more suitable habitat on its own.

Then I called the F&G biologist to determine what event would be adequate to justify them moving the bear. Left a msg. Stay tuned....

16. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

17. TopTop #102
    markfassett

There are at least two bears currently in West County. Two juvenile-sized bears were spotted together, crossing Dutch Bill Creek along Bohemian Hwy, on Monday evening 6/10. My opinion is that these two youngsters probably have relatives in the area, also. Regardless of how many there are, these creatures are no threat to humans unless humans threaten them. Can't we all just get along?

18. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

19. TopTop #103
    peggykarp

Can't we all just get along?
    That is everyone's hope, of course. But it's comforting to know that if things go awry that F&G can come and move the bear(s), rather than kill them.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #104
    odeek9

There are at least two bears currently in West County. Two juvenile-sized bears were spotted together, crossing Dutch Bill Creek along Bohemian Hwy, on Monday evening 6/10. My opinion is that these two youngsters probably have relatives in the area, also. Regardless of how many there are, these creatures are no threat to humans unless humans threaten them. Can't we all just get along?

It's up to us of course, but our history of coexisting with other species is-as you all know-sickening. So very sadly it's a pipe dream to believe that all non-human animals , with the possible exception of rodents and members of the insect world, will not be in very dire straits within, optimistically, the coming 100 years. We can't live harmoniously beside our animal brethren. We're simply not evolved enough. This is not a grand, novel concept. It should be apparent to everyone.

Yes, some are learning-many attitudes and tolerances have shifted. Many plans are in action, a host of advocacy groups and agencies, even legislation enacted or on the table, etc.. Yet it remains a gloomy prediction. And I'm ordinarily so hopeful in this "rights of all life" arena. But not today for some reason. There are at least 7 billion of us, 2/3 at a minimum are ass......

If we could just colonize another planet and send the jerks there (facetious!). All problems that I can think of are either directly or indirectly negatively associated with there being just too many people. Our bear dilemma is a prime example.

I'm done. I'm grumpy today. I'm preaching to the choir. I apologize for my rant. This post should be tossed by Barry!

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #105
    geomancer

If we could just colonize another planet and send the jerks there (facetious!). All problems that I can think of are either directly or indirectly negatively associated with there being just too many people. Our bear dilemma is a prime example.
    How about we all pray for the Rapture? Then all the jerks who hate the planet can go to Heaven and leave us here alone.

Probably equally unlikely as interstellar travel in the near future, but I can dream ...

Richard

24. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

25. TopTop #106
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bodegahead: View Post
    Salmon Creek runs through all Private property including an elementary school and a middle school. Not bear appropriate. I`ve lived out here on the coast 25 years and have never heard of a protected area or sanctuary.

There is in fact a state park there I just learned today. It's Willow Creek State Park and has been expanding for decades per my source. The state continues to buy available properties and then incorporate them into the state park system. There are campgrounds (Pomo) and hiking and riding trails, etc.. Whether animals are protected there I don't know but I would think so. This is the area a friend told me about a week, or so, ago and wondering if that was the bear's destination. I doubt it as it's not as if he received an email saying "come on over. It's safe with stupid human food scattered all over the place!" But it does exist.

Here's a link to a map of the park along with a pdf attachment of the park. Hope this works

https://www.sonomahikingtrails.com/p...ek-state-park/

26. TopTop #107
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    How about we all pray for the Rapture? Then all the jerks who hate the planet can go to Heaven and leave us here alone.
    Probably equally unlikely as interstellar travel in the near future, but I can dream ...
    Speaking as a recovered Christian fundie, I'd say the Rapture is way less likely than interstellar travel in the near future. The Rupture, on the other hand...

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #108
    Dixon

All problems that I can think of are either directly or indirectly negatively associated with there being just too many people.
    You're preaching to the choir, at least in my case. I got vasectomized when I was 30. I'm nearly certain I haven't added any hungry mouths to the planet. Here's the 16-line sonnet I wrote with the intention of reprogramming peoples' attitudes toward reproducing:

Motherhood

In love or lust alike, she radiates
    her pheromonal philter through the air,
    insinuating serpent to ensnare,
    who, spitting venom, seals both their fates.

Invaded thusly by the hungry seeds,
    her belly is a garden without light,
    to nurture the blood-suckling parasite
    that stretches and distorts her as it feeds.

Infected by this growth, her youth expires,
    replaced by mother, born in clench and gore,
    as alien bursts through her battered door,
    to make the world a slave to its desires.

So Mother Earth gives birth to matricide
    by progeny like locusts on the land.
    This plague of children will not understand:
    We are the cross on which She’s crucified.

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #109
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    You're preaching to the choir, at least in my case. I got vasectomized when I was 30. I'm nearly certain I haven't added any hungry mouths to the planet. Here's the 16-line sonnet I wrote with the intention of reprogramming peoples' attitudes toward reproducing:
    A bedtime story for my soon to visit 4 year old niece to be sure. I think not
    Last edited by Barry; 06-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.

31. TopTop #110
    Thad

Wandering bear makes backyard breakfast stop in Forestville

https://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local...st-stop/nYKps/

32. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

33. TopTop #111
    peggykarp

Not such good news today.

This is an update to my post yesterday where I reported on my conversation with Larry, a volunteer at F&G, who said they will move the bear. Apparently Larry didn't have all the information. Just had lengthy conversation with F&G biologist Conrad Jones. Long story short, if bear has caused damage to property it is no longer a candidate for relocation--Jones agreed that this was a catch-22, but that's the way it is. Furthermore, even if a bear has not caused any damage, right now F&G doesn't have a place to take it or even very good resources to do so.

The best hope for the bears is that they move north. That's what F&G is hoping for. The message they want to get out there is that if people want to save the bears' lives they need to do whatever they can to encourage them to move on. That means securing all livestock and pets and trash AND harvesting fruit in a timely manner and cleaning up fallen fruit. A single-wire electric fence can be effective. It's a pretty daunting task because bears eat so many things. Other means of encouraging the bear to move on are loud noises, like an airhorn.

The hope is that with such discouragement and encouragement the bear(s) will go further north in Sonoma county to a safe habitat.

Jones said a warden who had seen the bear in Occidental and then a photo of the bear in Forestville is pretty sure it's the same bear. Whether there's one or more, their best hope for survival is to move on. One depradation permit (allowing property owner to kill a bear that has caused damage) has already been issued, but fortunately the bear has since left the property. The permits are only good for a specific property.
    Last edited by peggykarp; 06-15-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo

34. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

35. TopTop #112
    odeek9

Not such good news today....
    The first words of truth from F&G-I guess Mr. Jones deserves kudos for being honest. I don't know that we have any recourse now, other than to place our hopes in the hands of The Big Guy or in whom you have faith. Can I have a depredation permit issued to me for a specific homeowner?

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #113
    peggykarp

I am not an expert on the F&G and haven't had any prior experiences with them, but in my two recent conversations with them I found both people I spoke with to be sympathetic, informative, and fully sharing in our desire to save the bears.

There are bad guys and then there are good guys who are put in impossible positions. I don't think people get degrees in animal biology and go to work for the Dept of Fish and Game because they hate animals or want to kill them. I think that just like us they love the wild creatures and want to help them survive. In the case of the bears they are caught between these sentiments and having to abide by laws that protect private property. But the bottom line here is, they are on our side. They want to save the bears.

The first words of truth from F&G-I guess Mr. Jones deserves kudos for being honest. I don't know that we have any recourse now, other than to place our hopes in the hands of The Big Guy or in whom you have faith. Can I have a depradation permit issued to me for a specific homeowner?

38. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

39. TopTop #114
    odeek9

I am not an expert on the F&G and haven't had any prior experiences with them, but in my two recent conversations with them I found both people I spoke with to be sympathetic, informative, and fully sharing in our desire to save the bears.

There are bad guys and then there are good guys who are put in impossible positions. I don't think people get degrees in animal biology and go to work for the Dept of Fish and Game because they hate animals or want to kill them. I think that just like us they love the wild creatures and want to help them survive. In the case of the bears they are caught between these sentiments and having to abide by laws that protect private property. But the bottom line here is, they are on our side. They want to save the bears.

I'm sorry Peggy but they may be decent people but their chosen profession involves, to a personal extent, protecting wildlife. When they can't even lobby effectively enough to harness the resources to be able to relocate a "problem" animal who trampled upon some fences that we constructed on THEIR land, then I'm not at all tolerant or understanding of their practices in certain areas.

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #115
    gypsey

I'm not surprised that two bears were spotted since black bears can have twins or even triplets. At 2 years of age they are kicked out of the den and through their wandering develop the life skills they need. Because of how they learn, what attracts them and their strength and skills, we are a threat to them and in extreme cases, they can be a threat to us. .
    This is not about coexistence. This is about respecting THEIR existence and the natural environment they need to thrive.
    As far as I know, bears don't hang out in gangs or families, so having rellies nearby is not an issue. (Would appreciate more factual info if anyone knows more about bear families once an adolescent bear is independent.).
    --Personally I appreciate everyone's input and the dialogue.

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #116
    gypsey

A million thanks for following up with DFG and also for this honest and balanced post. You have my gratitude!

Not such good news today.

This is an update to my post yesterday where I reported that my conversation with Larry, a volunteer at F&G, who said they will move the bear. Apparently Larry didn't have all the information. Just had lengthy conversation with F&G biologist Conrad Jones,. Long story short, if bear has caused damage to property it is no longer a candidate for relocation--Conrad agreed that this was a catch-22, but that's the way it is. Furthermore, even if a bear has not caused any damage, right now F&G doesn't have a place to take it or even very good resources to do so.

The best hope for the bears is that they move north. That's what F&G is hoping for. The message they want to get out there is that if people want to save the bears' lives they need to do whatever they can to encourage them to move on. That means securing all livestock and pets and trash AND harvesting fruit in a timely manner and cleaning up fallen fruit. A single-wire electric fence can be effective. It's a pretty daunting task because bears eat so many things. Other means of encouraging the bear to move on are loud noises, like an airhorn.

The hope is that with such discouragement and encouragement the bear(s) will go further north in Sonoma county to a safe habitat.

Jones said a warden who had seen the bear in Occidental and then a photo of the bear in Forestville is pretty sure it's the same bear. Whether there's one or more, their best hope for survival is to move on. One depradation permit (allowing property owner to kill a bear that has caused damage) has already been issued, but fortunately the bear has since left the property. The permits are only good for a specific property.

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #117
    gypsey

How is this helpful? Personally I want to focus on whatever we can do to either relocate this bear or encourage it to move itself. I greatly appreciate the person who contacted DFG, respected their challenges--yet told us like it is.

The first words of truth from F&G-I guess Mr. Jones deserves kudos for being honest. I don't know that we have any recourse now, other than to place our hopes in the hands of The Big Guy or in whom you have faith. Can I have a depredation permit issued to me for a specific homeowner?

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #118
    gypsey

PS from me-now that we know the reality, maybe it's time for that petition.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    A million thanks for following up with DFG and also for this honest and balanced post. You have my gratitude!

48. Gratitude expressed by:

49. TopTop #119
    Oceans11

I would like to see more concern to protect all bears and all wildlife including mountain lions, cougars, coyotes, foxes wherever they may show up.

Bears and coyotes show up in human inhabited areas when the food supply these creatures depend on in the wild are not sufficient. Human encroachment and development has depleted the fish, and other food sources that once thrived in the creeks around this area. Also wineries, houses and other human developments around northern california have destroyed a lot of the plants, ecosystem that bears and coyotes and other animals need to live.

The bear in that photo looked thin. It could be malnourished and possibly starving. In the photo the bear was surrounded by vineyards and houses. At one time those vineyards and homes were forests and open land with creeks that this bear could have roamed, foraged for food and hibernated. Bears, coyotes and other animals do Not want to show up in human inhabited areas- They show up among humans because their original food supplies and land to roam have been taken away from them by humans. These animals, rightfully so, fear and dread humans and all that we as humans do to them and their lives. They are here where we humans live when there is no other place for them to find food and to roam.

A necessary remedy to this problem would be for us humans to find ways to live respectfully and peacefully with these animals when they show up near us. For us to understand why they are living near us because they have no other place to go and they need to survive. For us to realize we humans with our lifestyle, arrogance and disregard have created problems for wildlife. That the animals are suffering greatly because of us and our priorites.
    That it is our ecological, moral and spiritual responsibility to learn to live with the wildlife and to respect their lives and their right to live. Maybe every person who has property in the country can set up an area for wildlife to forage and live undisturbed. Ancient people's did this practice and it helped maintain balance and respect between humans and the other creatures. Another effective, efficient solution to this situation would be for sonoma county and every county to have a wildlife or land trust refuge where these animals would be surrounded by the ecosystem they need to thrive and where they would be legallly and ecologically protected from human development and human encroachment. But creatures like bears, mountain lions and coyotes need a lot more land and expansive ecosystem to live than an occassional wildlife refuge can provide. This is why we need to make room for them to live respectfully and peacefully with us. Killing, trapping, and restricting them will not solve the problem and will only create more imbalances and disharmony ecologically and in other ways.

We need the bears and all the wildlife. The ecosystem and earth we live on needs all bears and creatures to thrive and have places to continue to live and regenerate. We need this in order to maintain the balance and harmony of the ecosystem and of life itself. We see how imbalances arise when certain species or plants go extinct. Every year sonoma county kills a large number of coyotes thru traps, poison or shooting. The state of california puts bounty rewards for hunters who can prove they have killed coyotes. This is horrifying and tragic.The animals are suffering here because there is not enough berries and food sources for the bears to sustain themselves on since so many of the plants and creeds bears depend on are damaged or gone. We need to replant the bushes the bears require to thrive, bring back the creeks and water sources they need and allow them plenty of good land for them to roam undisturbed without the risk of being tagged, drugged, trapped or killed. THis is my prayer. I am concerned about the bear in the photo and for all wildlife.

I was dissapointed by the sign from The Occidenta l" Ecology" Center that instructed people to "bear Proof" our homes and cars. Yes this is true. But there was no mention as an "ecology" center of what we might do to meet the needs of the bear and to be respectful and responsive to this bears life and well being What really must be done is to respect the wildlife and their lives by finding solutions to getting the bear's needs met. When this is done and the wildlife have the land, space and food supplies from creeks and plants to live, then the bears will" stop " showing up" in "our human areas." I care about the bear and all wildlife. I want to see them healthy, happy and able to thrive undisturbed. Does anyone else??

Put yourself in the position of the bear or the coyote. How must they feel hungry, tired surrounded by crazy humans who behave like voyeurs invading their every move and privacy by tagging them. THese animals just want us to leave them alone so they can live. Other times we humans behave like crazy monsters wanting to kill these coyotes and other animals. Why can't we humans stop our fears and need to dominate the land and other creatures. Our survival depends on us learning to share the land with the other creatures here and being able to respect their right to live.

50. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

51. TopTop #120
    odeek9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    How is this helpful? Personally I want to focus on whatever we can do to either relocate this bear or encourage it to move itself. I greatly appreciate the person who contacted DFG, respected their challenges--yet told us like it is.

I didn't realize that a prerequisite for posting was to be helpful, or to offer realistic solutions. Simply expressing one's feelings is part of becoming involved in a forum and, specifically in a topic close to one's heart. Or so I thought.

Spending time repeatedly, everyone including me, voicing the same questions sans even a glimmer of a realistic approach is not "helpful" either. I'll try to do better.

52. Gratitude expressed by: