Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

SDAT content comments

The SDAT presentation just finished. I thought it was excellent! Lots of good ideas, some more practical and feasible than others, some more controversial than others.

What stood out for you? What new idea did you find interesting? What do you think is possible in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years or 20 years?

I took some video of the presentation and got some comments from people, too. I'll be posting that soon, along with the links to the local SDAT website, and the full video and powerpoint presentation when it come available.

So what was your first impression?

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 05-18-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sebastacat

Re: SDAT content comments

[The first part of Sebastacat's comments have been split off to a new thread called SDAT process comments. Let's keep this thread about the content - Barry]

Barry:

What did I find LEAST interesting? The constant -- almost nauseatingly so -- reminder that the people of Sebastopol need to set their goals before a developer even attempts to commit time, resources and money to a potential project. I will respectfully remind them that it's not about what is best for the developers; it is about what is best for the COMMUNITY.

What did I find MOST interesting? The recommendation by members of the SDAT team that Sebastopol return to a two-way Main Street -- just as it was when I was a child. Great idea, but unfortunately, it just won't be the same without the apple-carrying train!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-18-2013 at 10:30 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I'm travelling to see my mom this weekend so I don't have much time...

I thought the traffic idea were really helpful! I the ideas of a round abouts at Llanno Rd and Occidental road to help with through traffic were breakthroughs in my opinion. When combined with better bike access, it just might take off enough pressure to making the 2 way street traffic on Main street feasible!

More to follow....

Come on folks, what did you think???

5. TopTop #4
    The Core Project

Here's the link to last night's presentation. https://slidesha.re/19Ncq09 Thank you to all who attended, participated, and volunteered. We're regrouping now and looking at next steps. KOWS radio (107.3 FM and online at https://kows107-3.org/) is doing a call-in show on Friday, May 24 starting at 7 PM. Videotape will be available at a later date.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    sebastacat

Barry.....

Careful what you wish for. Let us not forget that in the last election, roundabouts were roundly and soundly rejected by the electorate of our neighboring city, Cotati. As I understand, the voters voted quite decisively to ban roundabouts from their town -- once and for all.

My advice to the Sebastopol City Council? Before proposing any roundabouts, reach out to the community and gauge the level of the support that our community has for roundabouts.

And I also have this advice: Proceed with caution.....

8. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Which way would you like it?
    by Lynn Deedler

Last Friday night, SDAT, the group that descended on Sebastopol from around the country to advise us on a direction for the future of our town, presented us with their report.

I was not expecting much. How can out-of-towners understand our problems and put together meaningful recommendations in just three intense days of work? Good luck. I have lived here a long time, know the town well and have been thinking about how to improve it for a long time.

But I was impressed. This crew was into it. They were smart, focused and had a wealth of experience from which to draw. While we think that our town is sort of unique, our problems are not. They have seen them before. At the end of the three days, they had a pretty good handle on who we were and what issues we were struggling with.

Many topics were discussed, but my mind lingers on one at the heart of how our town shapes up.

Traffic. My head continues to struggle with the implications of the conclusions presented by Ian Lockwood, one of the most knowledgeable traffic calming consultants in our country. He made something quite clear. A highway crossroads town like ours cannot move traffic efficiently and be a vibrant small town sociable place people enjoy. You cannot have both. You choose one or the other.

Thirty-some years ago, Sebastopol’s Council voted to change to our current one way system. The vote was to accommodate the auto. Our new one-way streets did move traffic faster. But the feel of the town changed. Ian’s report presented what our Main Street could look like with two-way lanes, parking, bike lanes next to wide sidewalks and large bulb-outs at the corners. It looked wonderful. Like the best you could imagine a small town Main Street.

But what about all the traffic? “It adjusts,” was Ian’s answer. “Traffic is like a gas: It just finds a way to get around. Peak time trips will take longer.” But, he added, “with the two-way traffic plan, people walk around more, they shop more, businesses thrive, property values go up and people tend to spend more time in town. It can be whatever you value most; a town designed for cars or for people.”

I pressed him on how he could reach such firm conclusions, especially given the ramifications of being wrong. He stated this problem is not unique to Sebastopol and that over the last couple of decades, many towns both big and small have dealt with this issue, have gone back to two way narrower streets that slow traffic and are glad they did. He had a computer full of examples where traffic was slowed, lanes made narrower and the towns became happier, thriving places with fewer cars and more people on the streets.

I pressed on about the implications for the poor car drivers. Ian was unwavering that people adjust. Through-drivers will start finding a way around our town. Locals will make fewer car trips and walk or ride a bike more. And yes, it will sometimes mean waiting through another traffic light or two.

And, this is not just a small town issue. Ian pointed out where he had developed the consensus for removal of major freeways through urban areas in New York City, Cleveland, Miami, San Antonio. All now better functioning cities.

He concluded, “It is your town. You can have it either way you like.”

Sebastopol’s Core Project group won a grant from the American Institute of Architects, which brought eight planning and design professionals to Sebastopol to evaluate our town’s development issues. The Sustainable Design Assessment Team (SDAT) report can be found at
    www.sebastopolconnect.org and will be posted on the City of Sebastopol website.

I received several emails from readers who would like to return to a two way street on Main, all sighting a desire for a more friendly, walkable downtown. One, from Bob Beauchamp, included a simple suggestion that could significantly further this goal. That was to close Petaluma Ave in the block between the Plaza and the old lumber company once Main becomes two way. This might add a minute of travel time for destinations like the theater, police station and Whole Foods for traffic on Petaluma from the east, but would be transformative to the plaza area.

Lynn Deedler is a member of Sebastopol’s Design Review Board.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-17-2013 at 04:52 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    The Core Project

Links and more links...SebastopolConnect SDAT results to
    ponder

If you missed the AIA Sustainable Design Assessment Team's presentation of findings and recommendations on May 17, or would like to study the presentation further, we've got lots of ways for you to do so.

SDAT FINDINGS AND PRESENTATION (Two ways to access):
    Downloadable PDF on the AIA website: Scroll down to "Sebastopol" under "2013 SDAT Communities." Then, click on the link under "PowerPoint Presentation Download."
    PowerPoint on SlideShare.

PODCAST OF PRESENTATION WITH INTERVIEW
    Paul Fritz, local chairman of the SDAT Steering Committee was interviewed about the SDAT presentation on KOWS Radio 107.3 FM last month by host Arnold Levine.

Podcast is courtesy of Arnold and his website, Tommy's Holiday Camp. Many thanks, Arnold. And thank you, too, to Robb Perrone from KOWS for taping the live presentation.

RAW VIDEO OF PRESENTATION
    The video is broken into 5 sections. The bulk of the presentation is on Video 4. Video 5 contains the last 10 minutes of Q&A.

We hope to create an edited version later down the road.

Thanks to videographers Vaughn Higgenbotham and Lauralee Aho and to the City of Sebastopol for posting the video.

NEXT STEPS: The AIA team will present a detailed report in approximately 2 months. In the meantime, we're digesting all of the input from the community, along with the top line ideas in the findings presentation. We're really excited about the team's recommendations and will be in touch very soon with opportunities to participate in the next phase.