Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Recent bad experience with RotoRooter

I called RotoRooter because one of the rentals on my property had a kitchen sink that wasn't draining. The day after the sink was rotorooted, the tenant left for a week. When he came back he was eating else where, so no significant cooking was going on. Two weeks after RotoRooter cleaned out the drain, it was blocked again. This time one half of the double sink drained, the other half did not, so it was clear the blockage was in the horizontal pipe between the two sinks. I called RotoRooter, the polite receptionist said that the work was under warrantee so the guy would come back for free. RotoRooter found grease in the pipe, it was white in the middle but stained black all around the outsides. He claimed this was proof that grease had been poured down the sink since his last visit. I know that it hadn't been.

I called the RotoRooter office & was told that the service manager would call me back. When I went back to the rental the drain had been reassembled, but not taped, so it was leaking badly, and the guy left leaving the front door wide open. He just got angry and drove off because I didn't want to pay for his visit. When the service manager called me he mostly yelled at me for refusing to pay for the visit. I will never call this company again, I've heard that Mr. Rooter is better.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Recent bad experience with RotoRooter

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    I will never call this company again, I've heard that Mr. Rooter is better.
    We could use some more plumbers in our Business Directory. Anybody got a plumber they really like?

3. TopTop #3
    Sabrina

My experience is never call any "rooter" service unless you've got a root problem, i.e. outside roots are in the line that need to be cut out. If it's in the house pipes just get a plumber or even a handyman with plumbing experience. Not all plumbers have Rotorooter service ( usually a mechanized metal coil snake thing that after being snaked into the sewage pipes, spins around cutting roots or clearing other large debris that may have gotten in there - these days some companies even have very expensive camera service (at the end of the snake) to "see" what's in there) - but if it's clearly in the house pipes under the sink / right in the toilet, you can even buy your own small snake to hand spin into the pipe and pull stuff out, etc (or into your "clean out's" outside). Most regular plumbers have these small snakes too. Note: I'm not a plumber but have called many + rooter services + my husband has gotten "quite" handy on his own.

I called RotoRooter because one of the rentals on my property had a kitchen sink that wasn't draining. The day after the sink was rotorooted, the tenant left for a week. When he came back he was eating else where, so no significant cooking was going on. Two weeks after RotoRooter cleaned out the drain, it was blocked again. This time one half of the double sink drained, the other half did not, so it was clear the blockage was in the horizontal pipe between the two sinks. I called RotoRooter, the polite receptionist said that the work was under warrantee so the guy would come back for free. RotoRooter found grease in the pipe, it was white in the middle but stained black all around the outsides. He claimed this was proof that grease had been poured down the sink since his last visit. I know that it hadn't been.

I called the RotoRooter office & was told that the service manager would call me back. When I went back to the rental the drain had been reassembled, but not taped, so it was leaking badly, and the guy left leaving the front door wide open. He just got angry and drove off because I didn't want to pay for his visit. When the service manager called me he mostly yelled at me for refusing to pay for the visit. I will never call this company again, I've heard that Mr. Rooter is better.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    spam1

I'd recommend Keith of All Trades. He helped me with a small plumbing issue and was extremely fair on prices as well. If it's beyond him, he'll let you know that too. I think he's in the business directory.

[Keith of All Trades is indeed in the Business Directory. Click here for his listing and other glowing reviews from our community. -Barry]
    Last edited by Barry; 05-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    AJL

If you describe your problem to me, I'm happy to offer free tips on how you can fix it yourself, usually in less than twenty minutes.
    There are several simple tricks, like boiling hot water for grease may have solved your problem, though really GREASE NEVER BELONGS DOWN ANY DRAIN!
    Scrape the grease and put it in a carton.
    You can open those foil lined boxes easily in seconds

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Thanks! Part of being a landlord is dealing with tenants who do things you would never do yourself, like pouring hot grease down the drain. I think the tenant did this, as well as potting plants in the kitchen & filling the drain with potting soil, but he didn't do it between the time R.R. first came and the second call. The grease was stained black about 1/4 inch deeps, so it had been there a while. Barrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AJL: View Post
    If you describe your problem to me, I'm happy to offer free tips on how you can fix it yourself, usually in less than twenty minutes.
    There are several simple tricks, like boiling hot water for grease may have solved your problem, though really GREASE NEVER BELONGS DOWN ANY DRAIN!
    Scrape the grease and put it in a carton.
    You can open those foil lined boxes easily in seconds