Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #121
    caverly

Re: Sebastopol Farm Market in the Plaza or at the Barlow????

jbox wrote : There should be ONE market, at the Barlow.... forward in a better direction with a bigger, better market at the superior location.

i strongly disagree . Sebastopol Plaza Market is the heart of the Sebastopol commonunity - it is an incredible social gathering where friends reconnect and nature ,music and open-heartedness combine harmoniously . The setting is idyllic for neighbors to gather together ;
    it is this QUALITY that makes the Plaza market the quintessense of the village ambience and is the magical environment that brings out these qualities best { music , circular feng-shui , grass&trees , children&adults dancing&playing } . It is like in the old days when the Barn-dance , or doing laundry down by the watering-hole , brought the commonunity together in a special way that was so neighborly and the high-point of the week .

This is why people { especially from out of town } are so delighted to visit the Plaza Market and are delighted with how friendly it is . For this subtle reason , many consider it the best Farmer's Market in Northen California . Its the setting and size that give our market these charming neighborly qualities . QUALITY COUNTS - bigger size is not necessarily a good thing , especially if it destroys the 'neighborhood feel '. Like the song says , "they tore up paradise and put in a parking-shopping lot " { The Barlow design, concrete , plan , linearity , size , lack of nature , lack of resting spaces and crowding cars between each pedestrian area is sterile , ill conceived and just the opposite of the incredible vllage Plaza benefits }.

"Bigger is better " is thus not true in this case . If your concern is to allow more vendors { specifically including from out of county ; will they be required to be growing their goods , like now ? } then you can have 3 times more vendors if you open on another day or evening . Big business that destroys our local ambience and flavor is not what Sebastopol wants . Their desire to cannabalize the Plaza Sunday Market so that they can build their traffic is like how Walmart builds their traffic and often destroys their competition . No one asked them to do this to our commonunity . { if they want more vendors then do it ANY OTHER TIME = NOT SUNDAY !!!.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #122
    rekarp

What will be the management and configuration of the proposed farmers' markets at the Barlow (yes markets - according to the Sebastopol Times & News Article, the Barlow is planning for both a Thursday evening and Sunday market)?

I haven't seen any details about how the new markets will be managed, whether the booth fees will be competitive, the process to determine how vendors will be selected, the mix of farmers, etc. Will the Barlow markets be better in every way, or will there be some new set of unanticipated problems and difficulties with the new management.

I agree with other posters that the current market has a great location in the middle of town and engenders the spirit of community. It brings me to town, not just to buy veggies, but to visit with friends a hang out on the town square. I worry that some or much of these great qualities will be lost if the market is forced to compete with a larger and more corporate market at the Barlow. It took many years of careful nurturing to create the highly successful market that now exists.

Although I do believe that the Barlow owners want to support Sebastopol and be good community-minded citizens, their priority will be making money and serving the interests of their tenants. What future decisions will be made in the event that the farmers market siphons profits from the tenants or the owners of the Barlow?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    I've thought about it and I don't know why people are stuck on the idea of competing markets. There should be ONE market, at the Barlow. Everybody wins except the current Management of the current market. The market, the location, and the community should all come before the current management. This all seems so clear to me, let's not be divisive, why not move forward in a better direction with a bigger, better market at the superior location.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #123

If we expand our vision of downtown to stretch from The Barlow west to the Center for the Arts, then the Plaza is the town's heart. And I agree that it already functions as such, especially on Sundays, when one can linger for hours (I often do).

I hope that The Barlow does well but I do not want the center of town to shift there--that would throw everything off balance. The Barlow's success must not come at the price of a diminished downtown or a diminished farmers market.

6. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

7. TopTop #124
    caverly

Please No Sunday Competition : Our Plaza market is a treasure to us - we put a lot of our hearts into it and we want it to prosper as it currently does . We recognize it as our Crown-Jewel , the heart of our commonunity , weekly 3 hour miraculous visits with friends and a uniquely beautiful and appropriate setting .

Why compete on Sundays? There are 13 other time slots in the week ; please choose any that you wish - and we will be excited to support you .....

---------
    Previous statements describing this :

by Rekarp
    I agree with other posters that the current market has a great location in the middle of town and engenders the spirit of community. It brings me to town, not just to buy veggies, but to visit with friends a hang out on the town square. I worry that some or much of these great qualities will be lost if the market is forced to compete with a larger and more corporate market at the Barlow. It took many years of careful nurturing to create the highly successful market that now exists.

by Oliviathunderkitty :
    If … , then Plaza is the town's heart. And I agree that it already functions as such, especially on Sundays, when one can linger for hours (I often do).
    I hope that The Barlow does well but I do not want the center of town to shift there--that would throw everything off balance. The Barlow's success must not come at the price of a diminished downtown or a diminished farmers market.

by caverly :
    Sebastopol Plaza Market is the heart of the Sebastopol commonunity - it is an incredible social gathering where friends reconnect and nature ,music and open-heartedness combine harmoniously . The setting is idyllic for neighbors to gather together

8. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

9. TopTop #125
    Nancy M Prebilich

If I can't say Marty lied about who REALLY operates the Sebastopol Farm Market and who/what was involved in the litigation, then probably can't say you're completely backtracking and doing a 180 (I refer everyone to post #71):

"From: oliviathunderkitty

Re: Barlow Development: year-round farmers market
    <>

WOW!!!!! Fabulous news, Paula. Yay!!! I'd do handsprings if I could.

Great, thoughtful post overall, too, full of wisdom and thoughtfulness. Thank you."

So I won't saaaay the obvious, I just want to ask the question AGAIN... Why?! Could it be because the only person who is SURE to loose at the Barlow Farmers Market is Paula, and if she looses her job, you loose a kick down? And Barry looses perhaps his biggest advertisers? And if this is exposed, you both loose readership, which you count on for your paycheck? Hmmmmmmmm?! [*Interesting side note... Look at what the other person who's done a 180 does for a living: Marty Roberts Productions..." Helping small business and nonprofits deliver their message to their audience!"]

And for all those who haven't figured it out.... I did not sue the "Sebastopol Farm Market" because it didn't actually EXIST!! I sued the governing organization, the Sonoma County Farmers Market Association, who's board is comprised of 3 individuals: Paula Downing, Hilda Swartz, Erica Burns Gorman; the three market managers of Sebastopol, Petaluma, Sonoma, Oakmont, and formerly Santa Rosa. Sebastopol USE to exist, until Paula refilled it under her own organization- without alerting anyone. Just like it happened in Sonoma, so it's happening in Seb.: READ...

https://news.sonomaportal.com/2010/1...s-market-saga/
    https://news.sonomaportal.com/2011/0...-market-flap//
    https://news.sonomaportal.com/2010/1...otten-produce/
    https://news.sonomaportal.com/2011/0...armers-market/
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...CLES/101119635

Everyone should also know that according to their Bylaws: https://www.sonoma-county.org/agcomm...rules_regs.pdf, not only can the SCFMA board of 3 have employment contracts with the farmers markets they govern... they also get to "receive such compensation, if any, for their service as director or officer... as the board may establish by resloution to be just and reasonable."

Oh... by the way... did you all hear the good news?! Paula is now the market manager in Petaluma too! Congratulations, Paula! Good move, considering you probably can't count on the increased stall fee revenue at the Barlow anymore, that probably would have doubled your salary, like it did when you went year-round.

FOLLOW THE MONEY PEOPLE!!!!! I did... I do.... THAT's why I have to be silenced!!

Caverly, please first educate yourself on the Direct Marketing Act of 1976 and what makes a CA State Certified Farmers Market under the California Dept. of Food and Agriculture before asking,"will they be required to be growing their goods , like now ?"

And for those of you who say,"I don't care what happened in the past!" I pray to God this is not how you teach our children to approach history!

Happy reading everyone... you're welcome.

PS: Barry, you were absolutely right, I did post 23 times, way more than anyone else. BUT you (inadvertently, I'm sure) NEGLECTED to mention that 11 of my posts were direct responses to the 18 posts that were either directly TO ME or ABOUT ME, 6 of which were by you, and in general there were 13 post (either by me or others) defending my right to respond!! Just saying... you forgot a few numbers. :-)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    If we expand our vision of downtown to stretch from The Barlow west to the Center for the Arts, then the Plaza is the town's heart. And I agree that it already functions as such, especially on Sundays, when one can linger for hours (I often do).

10. TopTop #126
    theindependenteye

(from Elizabeth) --
    How did this get to be about who runs the Plaza market vs who might run the Barlow market? I look forward every week to going to the Plaza to visit all the folks I know who grow things, and I see everybody I know who likes getting these growing things, and I giggle at the little kids and bump into folks I haven't seen for a while. It's warm, it's friendly, and it's about local stuff. I love it. Somebody made this happen.
    So, what I'm hearing from one side is, take it all to the Barlow (warm fuzzy atmosphere, anybody?) and let it grow there, and presto, soon enough you'll love that, too. Well, maybe, stranger things have happened. But why should we have to exterminate something that's beautiful now in order to nourish an unknown that might be beautiful down the road?
    I'm a theatre person. That, in itself, might disqualify me from making sense. But I have seen, so many times, the sad story of a passionate bunch of folks creating a grass-roots cool thing that a lot of people love, and then it catches the eye of those who believe in business models. Before you know it, a board of directors has evaluated the bottom line, the folks who made it happen are out, the new improved structure is in place, and whaddaya know -- after the change has happened, in a little while the whole thing goes bust. (If you want to know my stats, ask me.)
    If an essential part of the problem is that there isn't enough vendor space at the Plaza, I'd suggest that the idea of a Sunday afternoon/evening Barlow would be a genius idea. Carry the momentum over to the next area, and let the Barlow rock on into the evening. Sounds like a win-win to me. They can create their own irresistable event.
    And for vendors who have to put a lot of time and money into loading and transportation, if they could just phase over from one space to the other, seems the me like it might be a win/win. Whereas, having to load out from one site, go home, and come back again the next day — c'mon, folks, how does this make sense?
    IMHO, we have been bombarded for far too long from the ad-world, being urged to choose between our only choices — McDonalds vs Burger King, Ford vs Chevy — and all the mighty weight of the shapers has been to say, this is your world. A versus B, and there is no more alphabet. And I say, F&#$ that. There is more alphabet there. We need to reject the implanted notion that connection (community) is a wimpy, impossible, naive idea. No. No F&%$#*g way, no.
    I hope the Barlow blooms and becomes something I visit on a weekly basis. I hope all our farmers find that their labor is rewarded. And above all, I hope that Sebastopol remembers that we are all in this together.

11. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

12. TopTop #127
    scamperwillow

I want to remind everyone - show up at the Planning Commission where the decision on a permit for the Barlow Market will be made. That is where it counts. All of this is just talk - which is fine - but the rubber hits the road at the Planning commission tentatively scheduled for May 14. Meanwhile, write to the planning commission members and the city council with your thoughts. A second market on Sunday cannot be held without a permit from the city. Do they think we should have two farm markets at the exact same time? Show up and find out.

13. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

14. TopTop #128
    treasure

Good reminder. Does anyone have a list of email addresses for the Planning Commissioners, one that's ready to drop into the address line of our email message(s) to them?
    Tara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    I want to remind everyone - show up at the Planning Commission where the decision on a permit for the Barlow Market will be made. That is where it counts. All of this is just talk - which is fine - but the rubber hits the road at the Planning commission tentatively scheduled for May 14. Meanwhile, write to the planning commission members and the city council with your thoughts. A second market on Sunday cannot be held without a permit from the city. Do they think we should have two farm markets at the exact same time? Show up and find out.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #129
    scamperwillow

Here are the planning commissioners - they are waiting to hear from you!
    Russ Pinto [email protected]
    scot stegeman [email protected]
    Yvette Williams Van Agellen [email protected]
    Michael Jacob [email protected]
    Colin Doyle [email protected]
    Evert Fernandez [email protected]
    Linda Kelley [email protected]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by treasure: View Post
    Good reminder. Does anyone have a list of email addresses for the Planning Commissioners, one that's ready to drop into the address line of our email message(s) to them?
    Tara

17. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

18. TopTop #130
    Asherah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by applefan: View Post
    The Barlow management has applied for a permit to have a competing Sunday farmers market. we have talked about this before on WACCO and there was alot of feeling expressed that we should stay at the plaza and that it would be a bloody shame if the Barlow decided to compete on the same day. Beware...they are.
    this would tear our community apart....why do it?
    How about a Vegan Farmer's Market that does not include any products derived from animals? Maybe the Barlow could host that on some evening; I know alot of people would appreciate this.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #131
    79paul

I just sent letters to the Commissioners.
    The address for Colin Doyle bounced. Does anyone know another address?
    Make your voice heard NIOW!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Here are the planning commissioners - they are waiting to hear from you!
    Russ Pinto [email protected]
    scot stegeman [email protected]
    Yvette Williams Van Agellen [email protected]
    Michael Jacob [email protected]
    Colin Doyle [email protected]
    Evert Fernandez [email protected]
    Linda Kelley [email protected]

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #132
    scamperwillow

Here is the correct email address: Colin Doyle <[email protected]>

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 79paul: View Post
    I just sent letters to the Commissioners.
    The address for Colin Doyle bounced. Does anyone know another address?
    Make your voice heard NIOW!!!

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

24. TopTop #133
    biannoli

I sent letter too and Colin Doyle bounced back. Let's all go to that meeting in any case.

25. TopTop #134
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

The following article by the Sebastopol Famers Market board appeared on the opinion section of the Sonoma West website today.

Setting the record straight by the Sebastopol Farmers Market board
    https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_west_times_and_news/opinion/editorials/setting-the-record-straight-by-the-sebastopol-farmers-market-board/article_57bea760-ad32-11e2-9e57-001a4bcf887a.html

Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:57 pm

The Sebastopol Farmers Market is not moving to the Barlow. We will continue to serve the community in the Town Plaza every Sunday. We have also applied for a permit to hold a market in the plaza on Thursday evening to better serve the community and to create opportunities for new farmers.

History with the Barlow:

Several years ago, after persistent requests from the Barlow, the Sebastopol Farmers Market membership voted to investigate the feasibility of moving to the Barlow if several specific contingencies were met. After two years of negotiating in good faith, the Barlow began to require conditions that were unreasonable and unrealistic.

Their demands included changing our management team, participating directly in our day-to-day operations, overseeing decisions about vendors and even changing our governance structure. After unsuccessfully attempting to reason and compromise with the Barlow and after receiving feedback from the membership at our annual meeting last December, the Market ended discussions about moving.

Having failed to win over the hearts and minds of the legitimate 35-plus-year-old non-profit farmer-run Sebastopol Farmers Market, the Barlow is now trying to ramrod its own unrealistic vision of a competing mega-farmers market onto the city of Sebastopol under the guise of fairness.

Why a competing mega-farmers market at the Barlow is wrong for Sebastopol:

• The Barlow’s proposal would result in competing markets offering identical products for a combined total of 150 vendors. The Sebastopol Farmers Market currently has 50 vendors. The Barlow’s proposed market would make it one the largest combined farmers markets in the state, close in size to the Marin Civic Center market. This is a completely unrealistic increase in vendors and supply in our small town.

• There has been no professional or 3rd party feasibility study to determine if the Barlow’s proposed mega-market can be supported economically. Nationwide USDA research in farmers markets indicates that the average distance traveled by shoppers is 10-15 miles. It’s common sense: People tend to shop close to where they live. The math just doesn’t add up.

• Two competing farmer markets offering the same mix of products will result in decreased sales for everyone. The experience in Santa Rosa where a second farmers market was forcibly introduced is a good example of the negative impact that can occur. Sales at both markets have dropped, not increased.

• A second farmers market within a two block radius in our small town will create a divisive and confusing atmosphere with market vendors, city merchants and the community.

• The Sebastopol Farmers Market is a 100 percent member-run non-profit organization, whose main mission is to support and promote our local food system and provide opportunities for a diverse group of farmers and artisans to earn a living. We are 100 percent farmer, artisan, crafter owned and managed. In contrast, the Barlow is led by a handful of developers that want to use a farmers market to beautify their development while undermining the legitimate Sebastopol Farm Market.

• The Barlow is unproven. Their confrontational mega-market proposal demonstrates a lack of understanding of the nuances of running a thriving and successful hometown farmers market and the important role it plays in the community.

Asking for help:

The Barlow’s application for a competing farmers market will be reviewed at a Planning Commission hearing on Tuesday, May 14, at 7 p.m., at the Youth Annex located at 425 Morris Street. We humbly ask all of you who support the continuation of our beautiful tradition to attend.

The Sebastopol Farmers Market Board of Directors includes Nathan Boone, First Light Farm; Steve Howard, Three Ox Farm; Kelly Roach, Laguna Farm; Craig Jones, Cosmic Cookie; Stuart Shroeder, Stone Horse Farm; George Macros, Earthworker Farm; Adam Davidoff, New Family Farm and Cliff Silva, Ma & Pa’s Garden.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-25-2013 at 01:39 PM.

26. TopTop #135
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

After a rumor that said The Barlow was withdrawing their application for a Sunday Farmers Market was posted here and subsequently deleted, I reached out to Bret Martin, who is heading up the process for The Barlow, for a comment and he replied with:

"we pulled back to allow time for a mediator to get us a meeting. paulas board is deciding now if they would like to mediate with usfingers crossed
    bret"

So it seems like it is in process, and not a done deal just yet. I'm sure we'll find out pretty soon if there is an agenda item for the May 14the planning commission meeting. There is no published agenda just yet.

27. TopTop #136
    Nancy M Prebilich

What could you possibly know about what "happens to be/not be TRUE?!" Unlike Andrea Cullinen, you weren't part of anything that happened when it actually happened. Andrea was ON THAT BOARD. My god! You make me LOL :-) You only know what you've been told. You are hardly qualified to set any record straight here. I must say, your self-appointed authority and sense of self in this situation is amusing. A member of Slow Food Russian River does not an authority make, my friend. I've never even met you lady... how can you possibly claim to know what I know?! OMG...:-D!

(Furthermore, Ms. Shatkin, this is not the appropriate place to attack me if that's what you want to do. Barry created a whole other thread for that called "Nancy and the Sebastopol Farmers Market." Barry, would you be so kind to remove this AND Ms. Shatkin's post to the APPROPRIATE thread. Remember, this thread is not suppose to be about Nancy, it's a place to discuss the Sebastopol Farm Market!)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by applefan: View Post
    It happens to be not true that the Gleason Ranch folks were terminated from the markets in an act of retaliation. The termination was a decision by the Board, not by Paula, and the reasons were many and varied. Nancy knows this. It is to Paula and the Board's credit that these reasons have not been slung around during this miserable struggle.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-09-2013 at 08:50 AM.

28. TopTop #137
    scamperwillow

I now have official word that the Farm Market item scheduled for the May 14th Planning Commission mtg has been postponed. Stay tuned to see if it comes up again.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    'm sure we'll find out pretty soon if there is an agenda item for the May 14the planning commission meeting. There is no published agenda just yet.

29. TopTop #138
    peggykarp

Farmers Market no longer on May 14 meeting agenda

This is from the Planning Commission's online agenda (Caps in the original).

https://ci.sebastopol.ca.us/sites/de...a_05.14.13.pdf

A. USE PERMIT - (2013-21) - This is an application, submitted by Barney Aldridge, for Use Permit approval to allow operation of a farmers’ market on the Barlow property.... The Barlow Farmers’ Market is proposed to operate year-round on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings.
    THIS ITEM HAS BEEN CONTINUED AND WILL NOT BE HEARD AT THIS TIME.

B. TEMPORARY USE PERMIT - (2013 -34) - This is an application, submitted by Paula Downing, representing the Sebastopol Farmers’s Market, for Temporary Use Permit approval to allow operation of a farmers’ market on the Town Plaza property ... on Thursday afternoon/evenings. The market is proposed to operate June through September....
    THIS ITEM HAS BEEN CONTINUED AND WILL NOT BE HEARD AT THIS TIME.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I'm sure we'll find out pretty soon if there is an agenda item for the May 14the planning commission meeting. There is no published agenda just yet.
    Last edited by peggykarp; 05-10-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: clarity

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #139

This message is posted on behalf of the Sebastopol Farm Market board.

Barlow and Thursday Night Market Update

• THE SEBASTOPOL PLANNING COMMISSION WILL NOTHAVE FARM MARKET APPLICATIONS ON THE MAY 14 AGENDA!!!

• On May 9the Barlow informed the Sebastopol Farm Market(SFM) that they had postponed their use permit application for a Farmers Market at the Barlow and concurrently requested a new dialogue with the SFM.

• In the spirit of community and cooperation, the SFM Board has agreed to create a committee representing the SFM to conduct discussions with the Barlow and a few of their tenants, through a neutral mediator, to explore ideas for a direction forward that is most positive for the community, the local food system, and the Sebastopol Farm Market member cooperative.

• Per the suggestion of the city, the Sebastopol Farm Market board has postponed the Temporary Use Permit application for a Thursday Night Market until the outcome of mediated discussions with the Barlow is complete.

• THE ABOVE MENTIONED FARM MARKET APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ON THE AGENDA AT THE MAY 14 SEBASTOPOL PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING

• Updates will be posted on the SFM website every Monday starting May 20.

As always, the Sebastopol Farm Market will be guided by, and work hard to maintain a thriving Farm Market that balances what is best for the local community, the local food system, and the Sebastopol Farm Market member cooperative.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

33. TopTop #140
    Nancy M Prebilich

What is this "Sebastopol Farm Market member cooperative" you speak of?! Is it another made up entity does doesn't really exist but sounds good? Is it code for the "Board of Directors" of SFM, that's really just a committee serving at the will of Sonoma County Certified Farmers Market Association? Does it mean the vendors that currently enjoy a secured space at the market, but not the ones prevented access, whether by managerial bias or space limitation- who exactly is this new entity you have just named for the first time??

Read the Bylaws, Sections V.(A) and V.(B). This organization has no "members."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ellen Roberts: View Post
    • In the spirit of community and cooperation, the SFM Board has agreed to create a committee representing the SFM to conduct discussions with the Barlow and a few of their tenants, through a neutral mediator, to explore ideas for a direction forward that is most positive for the community, the local food system, and the Sebastopol Farm Market member cooperative....As always, the Sebastopol Farm Market will be guided by, and work hard to maintain a thriving Farm Market that balances what is best for the local community, the local food system, and the Sebastopol Farm Market member cooperative.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.

34. TopTop #141
    sebastacat

Sebastacat finds this encouraging.

Hats off to Barney and the powers-that-be over at the Barlow for taking the numerous concerns of our community seriously and for their willingness to engage in meaningful dialogue in an attempt to set aside the derision and consternation which ensued following the Barlow's announcement over a month ago to hold a competing Sunday farmers market.

Now let's have successful markets from which the citizens of Sebastopol, the numerous out-of-town visitors and the dedicated, hard-working farmers and vendors will benefit that will continue to celebrate that special quality which continues to be our town's greatest strength and biggest draw: our wonderful sense of community.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #142
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

[The Barlow posted the following letter on their Facebook page:]

The Barlow and the Sebastopol Farmer's Market agree to meet and again discuss possibilities of collaboration. Read our letter below for more:

To Our Local Community,

Before hard hats, excavators or a single signed lease, The Barlow was encouraged by the community to grow into a creative campus offering local artisans the opportunity to thrive by showcasing their goods and building lasting connections with their consumers. With the support and direction of the local community, The Barlow adopted a mission “to create and maintain a well-planned, organic environment for the community to conduct business, share food and enjoy art, wine and time together.”

This mission could extend further by including a year-round Outdoor Market.

Since its inception, many talented local farmers and artisan producers have approached The Barlow in hopes of finding a “home” in Sebastopol. These producers, not yet in a position to invest in “brick and mortar” establishments, and unable to secure space in the Sebastopol town square on Sundays, are left with nowhere to go in the city they love. As the vision of The Barlow Outdoor Market progressed, these farmers and producers felt assured their dreams of selling in their hometown might finally become a reality.

To that end, The Barlow applied for a use permit with the City of Sebastopol to allow for an Outdoor Market to be held within The Barlow campus on Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings.

However, we have decided to postpone the permit application process to allow time for a peaceful dialogue and to bring the attention back to supporting healthy growth and fair opportunities for our local farmers and artisan producers.

With open minds and encouragement from neighbors, both The Barlow and Sebastopol Farmer’s Market have agreed to meet, along with a neutral third party, to again discuss the possibilities of collaboration.

It’s an honor to be part of this community that cares so much to provide their opinions and hopes for Sebastopol. Thank you for keeping your hearts open. We are more powerful together than we ever could be apart.

The Barlow

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #143
    Esther Shain

Will there be solar panels at The Barlow? How many/how much power will be from solar or alternative energy. I was told there will be a car charging station.
    This may be the wrong thread for this question.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-13-2013 at 07:46 PM.