Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    applefan

Sebastopol Farm Market in the Plaza or at the Barlow????

The Barlow management has applied for a permit to have a competing Sunday farmers market. we have talked about this before on WACCO and there was alot of feeling expressed that we should stay at the plaza and that it would be a bloody shame if the Barlow decided to compete on the same day. Beware...they are.
    this would tear our community apart....why do it?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    eshakti

Re: Sebastopol Farm Market in the Plaza or at the Barlow????

There are a number of farmers markets as we all know and why would the BARLOW compete with the PLaza farmers market- that is just being ornery in my mind. Why not be creative - what about doing a craft fair weekly. I for one am looking for a place to sell my items. If the cost is low like the farmers market then more crafts persons could participate.

I like what the BARLOW is offering as a gathering of vendors and a fun place to visit. You have presented an original creative image- now keep it up. Why cause discontent by competing. Be a good neighbor and "DO YOUR OWN THING!

I just found out that a storage service in Fort Myers is renting to artists and crafts persons. They can run the unit like a small store. NOW that is original and creative. I love the idea of having a small store that is not expensive. They open on SAT during season and every other during summer. Yet one can open whenever. I like this -

MY two cents here - I dont like to see anger and nastiness and opening a market at the same time and on the same day that is what will pursue. Maybe rethink your options. Hopefully you will take a more community oriented stance.

Namaste

Quote Posted in reply to the post by applefan: View Post
    The Barlow management has applied for a permit to have a competing Sunday farmers market. we have talked about this before on WACCO and there was alot of feeling expressed that we should stay at the plaza and that it would be a bloody shame if the Barlow decided to compete on the same day. Beware...they are.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    scamperwillow

I find this horrific, mean- spirited and far from community minded. I am really aghast that they are doing this and I hear they have written to all the Sunday market farmers trying to lure them away from the long-standing market at the plaza. WHY would they want to do this? It is nothing but divisive and hostile in my mind! Why do they have to try to have a market at the exact same time as the existing one? Why did they renege on their very clear agreement to move the existing market to the Barlow? If they must do a separate one, why can't they do it on a different day? Or why can't they do crafts and entertainment to complement the existing market.

I was part of a group that tried to mediate on this topic and we were completely shined on. I have been a big supporter of the Barlow, but no more. Not with this hostile community dividing move that they insist on making. They are asking for trouble and they are going to get it! This is a really bad foot to step out with Barlow folks - I hope you are listening.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

7. TopTop #4
    lupini beans

I have lived in this community for many years - and this is the FIRST time I have said a peep on WACCO. This issue is serious Barlow! Do not do a farmers market on Sunday - do something on another day or night. This is not good community manners. Do you live here? There are many loyal, trustworthy folks that live here and I'm kinda surprised you haven't noticed! Please be mindful of your actions and consider what has been here long before you.

8. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

9. TopTop #5
    caverly

The Sebastopol Farmer's market is considered the best in Northern California and is the heart of our commonunity .
    If Barlow won't respect this and competes then i hope their whole project is boycotted and fails miserably ....

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    eshakti

I want the Barlow to succeed not fail. It is a wonderful addition to the area yet it is always good to work with the community and play nice. The actions of the owners or managers does not necessarily reflect those who are part of the project.
    Please make this a win win for everyone.

Thank you

Quote Posted in reply to the post by caverly: View Post
    The Sebastopol Farmer's market is considered the best in Northern California and is the heart of our commonunity .
    If Barlow won't respect this and competes then i hope their whole project is boycotted and fails miserably ....

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #7
    applefan

more news...the Barlow is requesting 100 vendors...the Sebastopol Farm market has about 50. how much money could each of 150 farmers selling on a Sunday make? The Sebastopol Farm market works hard to help small farmers make a living ......so they can keep farming.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #8
    caverly

{my impression } The Barlow is an ill-conceived project { too large , too big an investment , too much reliant on wineries } that is a behemoth and will do anything to survive . They months ago { on Wacco } said they wanted our input and to work with us and we told them NO SUNDAYS farmer's market competition . Well , now they realize that their large size and investment requires that they can not forgo capturing the Sunday traffic-business that is the Sebastopol Farmer's market { like how Walmart cannabilizes its' competition to survive }. Because of their over-size and over-investment , they now realize they must have this Sunday traffic and have little choice if they want to make-ends-meet and survive . BAD PLANNING on their part !!!!! and so now they seek to destroy our origional market {with 100 vendors more - crazy !!!!! }.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    Magick

Bob Dylan said, "Money doesn't talk it swears"...Trying to lure the vendors away is so underhanded and an attempt to undermine the current market. They probably are thinking of ways to out do the current market, what a shame.

The Barlow did not grow organically out of the needs of the town like the farmer's market did. It is a "virtual shopping center" for profit. I do respect many of the businesses that are trying to open there and so I feel sad that they are not being managed in a respectful way.

The only reason it got approved so easily, by only having to go through the Design Review process, was because they were supposedly keeping 51% of the old Barlow.

From what I see I don't think that's what happened.

Activist-at-large,
    magick
    Last edited by Barry; 04-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

19. TopTop #10
    goldenday

I live in Santa Rosa and have experienced the last months since our Santa Rosa Farmers Market fiasco which caused a rift that resulted in two markets limping along and no one is doing well. For years I enjoyed the meeting friends by chance and community conversation, and the friendly venders offering wonderful products, doing a good business. I recently told a friend I felt caught in the middle of a dysfunctional family feud and the spirit of the purpose of the market has been completely lost, with no concern for those of us who valued the community event.

The vendors at both markets have felt a drop in their revenue, and the drop in the attendance that created the sense of community has been disheartening. I truly hope there is another option for Sebastopol to resolve these issues other than this type of disintegration of the wonderful community event that has brought me to Sebastopol on a Sunday morning many times.

20. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

21. TopTop #11
    peggykarp

In addition to telling the Barlow what you think of a competing Sunday market, there is an easy way to kill this ill-conceived idea. If they are dumb enough to go ahead with a Sunday Farmer's market, DON"T BUY THERE!

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #12
    sebastacat

I have been reading all of the posts under this thread and was going to stay out of this fracus, but upon sober reflection, I now feel compelled to add my opinion to the fray.

As almost everyone who lives in this community knows, the Sebastopol Farmers Market which is held on Sunday in the town plaza is a very popular, well-attended event. People go there to shop, meet friends, discuss the important issues of the day and to participate in that one thing that I like to think serves as the glue which makes Sebastopol so unique and attractive to so many of us: a sense of COMMUNITY. Sure, fruits vegetables and sweet treats are good, but who among us doesn't believe that community is better? Not many, I'll bet.

And so it is with a great deal of shock and dismay that I have learned that not only has the Barlow applied for a permit to hold a competing farmer's market on SUNDAY, but that they are ACTIVELY RECRUITING its long-time -- and, hopefully, loyal -- vendors as well. If this isn't akin to rubbing a copious amount of salt on the wound, I don't know what is.

Given the fact that some of the "powers that be" over at the Barlow have local community ties, some which go back many, many years, I find it inexcusable that they are engaging in this kind of conduct. They say "Where's there's smoke, there's fire." Since several of them must well know by now, when it comes to Sebastopol and it's sense of community, the old adage can be amended to: "Where's there's a candle flame there's a bonfire."

And I'm afraid that that bonfire has been lit, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

I am calling on the powers that be over at the Barlow to abandon their no-compromise policy and to agree to a compromise, or else there will no way out of the present donnybrook in which they now find themselves.

To that end, I am proposing the following compromise, for the good of the community:

1. That the Barlow powers that be cease and desist IMMEDIATELY from their active recruitment of the vendors of the Sunday Farmers Market held in the plaza;

2. They then abandon their present plans forthwith to hold a competing market on Sundays at the Barlow;

3. That they agree to hold any farmer's market at the Barlow on any other day of the week, including Saturday but EXCLUDING SUNDAY.

I ask that you consider this in earnest for the good of this community. Not only will the vendors which you may secure for the new market be better off, since they will not have to compete with their counterparts at the original Sebastopol Farmers Market, but you will hopefully be able to start repairing any damage to your previously good reputation brought about by your recent misguided actions.

The decision rests with you.

But remember this: The "C" word still means something in Sebastopol

24. Gratitude expressed by 13 members:

25. TopTop #13
    sage lee

nature, nature nature...trees, plants and outdoors

the barlow management has applied for a permit to have a competing sunday farmers market. We have talked about this before on wacco and there was alot of feeling expressed that we should stay at the plaza and that it would be a bloody shame if the barlow decided to compete on the same day. Beware...they are.
    This would tear our community apart....why do it?

26. TopTop #14
    scamperwillow

What I just don't understand is this: Why would the owners of the Barlow want to tarnish their exciting grand opening that most of the community is behind with such a divisive issue right off the bat?? Why not work to generate good will? This is going to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I hope they decide to withdraw their application - at least for now - or submit a new one for a different day.

27. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

28. TopTop #15
    peggykarp

I suggest everyone talk to the vendors--our friends--at the Farmer's Market ASAP. Let them know how we feel about a competing Sunday market, and tell them we will not patronize such a market. The beauty of the Sebastopol FM ( and most FMs) is that we customers are in direct contact with the producers, all of whom are small enough to care about what we say and do!

29. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

30. TopTop #16
    Nancy M Prebilich

Yeah, that's it! Blackmail, penalize, hold hostage the FARMERS, because HOW DARE they want to go to THaT PLACE that they have been planning to move to for OVER TWO YEARS, before the Barlow said," You're ALL welcome EXCEPT the 70 year old woman who has been PUBLICALLY on the fast track to retirement because it's time to "listen to her body," THE cause of the big split in SR because she was more concerned about her pay raise than paying the rent, and just forked out $24,000 of a $30,000 lawsuit settlement for wrongful acts! I have never heard more SELFISHNESS than you people who want it organic, local, fresh, and in THIS finite space that WE WANT as oppose to THE SPACE where the SFM and Paula Downing advocated for because it offered MORE OPPORTUNITY for MORE FArMERS, MORE parking, SAFER pedestrian and bicycle access, and COVERED thoroughfare for those torrential rains or protecting valuable product from scourging sun. SELFISH, SELFISH, SELFISH!!

BTW... Barry has only allowed me to post an opposing, non-conformist view on the condition that I declare my "role/relationship with the Barlow." I am a resident of Sebastopol, my family has resided here for 100 years (so let's not play the "Who was here FIRST" game, as some have proposed!), AND I SUPPORT FARMERS, I SUPPORT LOCAL AG, I SUPPORT THE BARLOW!!!!

TWO BLOCKS PEOPLE!!' TWO FRIGGIN' BLOCKS!!

GROW UP!!!!!!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by peggykarp: View Post
    I suggest everyone talk to the vendors--our friends--at the Farmer's Market ASAP. Let them know how we feel about a competing Sunday market, and tell them we will not patronize such a market. The beauty of the Sebastopol FM ( and most FMs) is that we customers are in direct contact with the producers, all of whom are small enough to care about what we say and do!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2013 at 10:30 AM.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #17
    Nancy M Prebilich

In light of Barry's "requirement," I would like to see everyone who's posting against the farmers who voted to move two years ago/against the Barlow for fullfilling their promise, to disclose their "relationship/role" with Paula Downing, because, frankly, she's the ONLY one who has something to loose here.

33. TopTop #18
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Nancy M Prebilich: View Post
    BTW... Barry has only allowed me to post an opposing, non-conformist view on the condition that I declare my "role/relationship with the Barlow." I am a resident of Sebastopol, my family has resided here for 100 years (so let's not play the "Who was here FIRST" game, as some have proposed!), AND I SUPPORT FARMERS, I SUPPORT LOCAL AG, I SUPPORT THE BARLOW!!!!
    Nancy, I asked you (privately) to do 2 things:

1) "Please make clear what your role/relationship is to the proposed market at the Barlow"

2) "and do your best to be respectful"

It seems to me you didn't meet either request.

So, Nancy, are you saying you have no business relationship with The Barlow or the proposed Farmer's Market there aside from (presumably) being a vendor?

And if this the best you can do at being respectful, I'm going to have to revoke your postings priveldges again. Note that it is not because of your support for the FM at The Barlow, but rather how you choose to express yourself.

I would really like to see someone from The Barlow or the proposed Farmer's Market at The Barlow chime in to please explain what your plans are and why you seem to be planning a Sunday market. I also welcome anybody else out there to who supports this decision to chime in. And I ask that everybody be respectful!

I did find this post from The Barlow on Facebook from March 24th:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by The Barlow:
    We know this subject is sensitive to all those involved. This has truly been one of the most challenging decisions we've had to face. We respect all voices of this conversation and know we can't expect to find a solution that will satisfy everyone. We are in the process of developing an Outdoor Market and have been in communication with the current Sebastopol Market to align as best we can. It's not a collaboration, but an open door to communicate ideas that might help elevate all involved. The hope is the Barlow's Outdoor Market will not only allow those farmers unable to get into the current market an opportunity to sell their goods, but give artisans of this talented community a space to exhibit and sell as well. We want to celebrate the West Sonoma County community and all it has to offer.
    Barry

34. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

35. TopTop #19
    sebastacat

Whoa!!

As Beavis would have said: "Calm down, Nancy!"

I, too, have roots that go back 100-plus years in Sonoma County, so I agree with you that people shouldn't be playing that game.

I know you, too, and other members of your family, and as you know, I have always had respect for all of you.

I am also acutely aware of the problems that you had with Ms. Downing at the original S.R. Farmers Market when it was held at the Veterans' Memorial Building in Santa Rosa.

I am also sensitive to the fact that your family has been engaged in various agricultural pursuits for most of the time that your family members have resided in Sonoma County.

I, too, have issues with the way you were treated by the original S.R. Farmers Market.

However, what I have attempted to do is I have tried to put personalities and personal issues aside for the good of the Sebastopol community and proposed what I feel is a workable compromise which could potentially be a win-win for all involved.

Nancy, please do NOT take the following question as being antagonistic: Do you honestly and truly believe that two competing farmers markets which are going to be in close proximity to each other, with a combined total of 150 hard-working vendors, are going to be successful trying to do so under the yoke of such fierce competition? ( I predict that relations between the two markets, to put it mildly, will become quite strained within a very short time.)

I do not believe that they will both succeed, and I truly believe that some compromise needs to be made, or else BOTH Farmers Markets will be headed for complete disaster -- and they'll probably take the Barlow down with them. That would be truly tragic for Sebastopol, after the project has garnered so much heretofore favorable fanfare.

Please, I am asking for all involved to let cool heads prevail, engage in the spirit of compromise and move on so that our sense of community can remain intact and we can make the year 2013 in Sebastopol the year that saw two successful farmers markets launched as a result of compromise -- for the good of all involved, and for the good of our community.

Peace to you.

36. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

37. TopTop #20
    Nancy M Prebilich

Seriously Barry? I articulated my role/relationship VERY clearly. If I had a "business" relationship, you think I would be stupid enough to be this vocal? So you u don't "like" my disclosure, so you're going to penalize me? Or I've not been "respectful," as oppose to those who want the Balow to "fail" because they don't want to walk two blocks to a more accommodating space, or they want to "boycott" because they prefer the space that has more mature trees, a fourth of the lawn area, and no opportunity to accommodate new and young farmers in our community?! Really.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I asked you (privately) to do 2 things:

1) "Please make clear what your role/relationship is to the proposed market at the Barlow"

2) "and do your best to be respectful"

It seems to me you didn't meet either request.

So, Nancy, are you saying you have no business relationship with The Barlow or the proposed Farmer's Market there aside from (presumably) being a vendor?

And if this the best you can do at being respectful, I'm going to have to revoke your postings priveldges again. Note that it is not because of your support for the FM at The Barlow, but rather how you choose to express yourself.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.

38. TopTop #21
    foxrosie

I tried to find some background material so as to better understand this issue, and found the following write-up on the Barlow's website:

Farmers Market

We are extremely proud to be the new home of the Sebastopol Farmers' Market!Browse the farmstands filled with fresh Sonoma County fruits and vegetables while enjoying live music and a convivial atmosphere. The beautifully landscaped campus will be safer for children and families, and will provide public restrooms, more parking and less congestion in downtown Sebastopol.

Covered awnings will provide a space for the Farmers' Market to continue their operation year round and amenities such as an outdoor stage and children's playground will make the Barlow not only a space to conduct business, but a place for people to come together and spend time with friends and family.

"I don't have words to express what The Barlow project will mean to the Farmers Market and the City of Sebastopol...a lot!
    It is the realization of a dream that many people have nurtured for awhile:

The (Farmers) market itself will be able to breathe. We are in a sweet space but we are so crammed and crowded. The thought that we can expand our play ground a little bit is really enticing."

-Paula Downing, Sebastopol Farmers Market

Apparently, the move of our Farmer's Market to the Barlow has been planned for a long time, and the vendors had already "signed on" ... or at least, the Market Manager (Paula Downing) was in favor of the move and - presumably - represented the interests of many or most of the participating farmers. (maybe not?)

There are two key factors that would be different if our Farmer's Market moved to the Barlow: 1) it would be in a different location, two blocks away from the current location and 2) it would include about twice as many vendors.

I don't see why there would be two simultaneous and competing markets, which certainly does sound divisive and problematic. It seems to me that the idea was to move the entire existing market to the Barlow, a larger and (according to Paula Downing) better space. AND, there would be more vendors included.

So, I'm trying to find out what the upset is about. Is it that having twice the number of vendors would make it impossible or difficult for most of them to get enough revenue? (splitting the revenue pie in too many and too small pieces?) Or is it that the attendees don't want to relocate, even if the vendors are happy to do so? Or both? Or something else that i'm missing? Is it that some of the vendors want to relocate, and others don't?

When I first started reading this thread, I agreed that a competing Market on Sundays would be bad and messy ... but when i got more information and understood that the ENTIRE market, under Downing's Management, had been planning to relocate to the Barlow site ... that did not seem like a problem to me. Maybe a problem for those of us who are attached to the current location, but not such a big deal if the Vendors all want to move to the new site. We'd probably become attached to the new location (assuming it's got a good feeling ... which I don't know and we'd all probably have different opinions anyway).

And again, maybe I'm wrong in now thinking that the current SFM had been planning to move to the Barlow site. But if that's correct, then there never was an intention of a COMPETING market. Just a RELOCATED market, and one that would include at least twice as many vendors as the current one.

Is the problem that some of the vendors want to move, and others don't ... so that there WOULD be two competing markets if the Barlow hosts one? That would be messy, for sure!

By the way, when I say "what's the problem?" I don't mean it rhetorically as in: "you idiot - can't you see that there's no problem". I'm actually asking a question. I see several possible problems and i'm trying to find out which of them are being addressed in this thread. It seems clear to me that two competing markets on sunday WOULD be a problem ... but I don't see why there would be TWO markets if the WHOLE market moved over to the Barlow.

IF the WHOLE market moved over to the Barlow, then THESE problems might be relevant:

1) there would be too many vendors for most of them to make decent revenue (from the same set of customers as before)
    2) many of the attendees are attached to the current location, and don't want the market to move.

BUT, of course,

3) some of the vendors might not want to move, so there WOULD be two competing markets

Since I just showed up late to this party, I probably am missing something ---but a clarifying response might be helpful to others as well as to myself!
    Last edited by Barry; 04-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.

39. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

40. TopTop #22
    Nancy M Prebilich

I'm sorry. I thought, since it was perfectly fine for folks to be up in arms about the Barlow ("boycot!" "Bad manners" "stupid behavior"), that it would be equally fine that I'm up in arms about those who are up in arms. My mistake.

To answer your question... No! I DON'T think two markets on the same day, two blocks apart, will work. Not at all. I think the city should go with the ORIGINAL plan, SUPPORTED by Paula Downing AND the MAJORITY of the SFM VENDORS, and we should have ONE cohesive market that the COMMUNITY SUPPORTS!! So far, all I've read are comments where people are thinking about themselves, NOT the farmers who work 7 days a week/365/yr. and not about the FACT that there are currently 3 yr-round farmers markets in Sonoma County on Sat. and only 1 on Sundays- Sebastopol. The ONLY reason to make a Sat market in Seb. or have 2 on Sun. is to protect SELF interest, NOT the ag. community's.

One market, at the Barlow- SUPPORTED!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sebastacat: View Post
    Nancy, please do NOT take the following question as being antagonistic: Do you honestly and truly believe that two competing farmers markets which are going to be in close proximity to each other, with a combined total of 150 hard-working vendors, are going to be successful trying to do so under the yoke of such fierce competition? ( I predict that relations between the two markets, to put it mildly, will become quite strained within a very short time.)

I do not believe that they will both succeed, and I truly believe that some compromise needs to be made, or else BOTH Farmers Markets will be headed for complete disaster -- and they'll probably take the Barlow down with them. That would be truly tragic for Sebastopol, after the project has garnered so much heretofore favorable fanfare.

41. Gratitude expressed by:

42. TopTop #23
    Nancy M Prebilich

I'm So sorry Barry. PLEASE don't revoke the ONE and ONLY opposing view because I use CAPS when stating FACTS. I did not realize people were so sensitive to FACTS.

43. Gratitude expressed by:

44. TopTop #24
    scamperwillow

Here is what the problem is - plain and simple. The Barlow reneged on their offer to move the existing market to the Barlow and decided to start one of their own instead. The current market with their board (that makes the decisions) and it's manager - who carries out their decision was UNinvited to the Barlow - THAT is what the problem is.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by foxrosie: View Post
    ...So, I'm trying to find out what the upset is about...

45. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

46. TopTop #25
    scamperwillow

That is what we would all like, but the Barlow switched and withdrew their offer and told the existing market they are not welcome to move there as planned and promised. This is where all the trouble began.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Nancy M Prebilich: View Post
    To answer your question... No! I DON'T think two markets on the same day, two blocks apart, will work. Not at all. I think the city should go with the ORIGINAL plan, SUPPORTED by Paula Downing AND the MAJORITY of the SFM VENDORS, and we should have ONE cohesive market that the COMMUNITY SUPPORTS!! So far, all I've read are comments where people are thinking about themselves, NOT the farmers who work 7 days a week/365/yr. and not about the FACT that there are currently 3 yr-round farmers markets in Sonoma County on Sat. and only 1 on Sundays- Sebastopol. The ONLY reason to make a Sat market in Seb. or have 2 on Sun. is to protect SELF interest, NOT the ag. community's.

One market, at the Barlow- SUPPORTED!

47. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

48. TopTop #26
    foxrosie

THANK YOU ... now I get it. I was COMPLETELY confused. Does anyone know WHY they revoked an offer (that is still sitting on their own website)? That does seem absolutely absurd. There must be some backstory here ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Here is what the problem is - plain and simple. The Barlow reneged on their offer to move the existing market to the Barlow and decided to start one of their own instead. The current market with their board (that makes the decisions) and it's manager - who carries out their decision was UNinvited to the Barlow - THAT is what the problem is.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #27
    Nancy M Prebilich

Sorry Scamperwillow, but you are COMPLETELY WRONG. The "board" you speak off is not real, and only me and Paula know it. Look up "Sonoma County Farmers Market Association" and WHO runs it and what markets they control. Don't THINK you know facts, support the facts! I don't want to, but if I HAVE to/ if Barry allows it, I'll post the letter the City Council currently has in their possession from a former faux "board member." PAULA is LEGALLY in SOLE CONTROL. (Sorry.... truth hurts, I know).

And Barlow did NOT renig. They have kept their promise to the MARKET, they just want a less controversial, less divisive manager... the MARKET has always been welcome. You'd understand this unless u claim the "Market" IS the "manager." Is THAT ur POV?!

51. TopTop #28
    scamperwillow

And here is what happened the last time a competing farm market tried to set up on the same day as the existing market. The application was withdrawn after a LOT of community uproar.
    https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_we...a4bcf887a.html

THANK YOU ... now I get it. I was COMPLETELY confused. Does anyone know WHY they revoked an offer (that is still sitting on their own website)? That does seem absolutely absurd. There must be some backstory here ...

52. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

53. TopTop #29
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    And here is what happened the last time a competing farm market tried to set up on the same day as the existing market. The application was withdrawn after a LOT of community uproar.
    https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_we...a4bcf887a.html
    If you can't access the link above, you can also see the article here on WaccoBB.

54. TopTop #30
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

There is indeed, my dear friend, Lani! In Spades! It's on the thread Farmer's Market at The Barlow, that began with request from The Barlow asking "What do you want to see at a Barlow's Farmer's Market?".

I just did a a quick scan of it. Some of the more notable posts in that thread that seem to shed light on how we got to this predicament are:

#83: from bret martin (who seems to be managing the FM market and/or public relations for The Barlow) saying that Paula's board suggested the Barlow do Sunday market and collaborate and then proceeded advocate against it.

#88 also from bret martin, saying why they can't have Paula at the Barlow.

#91, Nancy Prebilich, under her pseudonym of lizzysweet, posting a letter to the SR Farmer's market BOD outlining grievances against Paula

#111 more from Nancy/lizzysweet. which combined with above.

There's lots more there, much of it well worth a read, though the later part of the thread gets bogged down in a discussion of my outing "lizzysweet" to be Nancy Prebilich.

55. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: