Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    nicofrog

Awesome Springtime Planting time!

I am just so excited to actually be planting a few things (350 Garden Challenge!) on TIME this year,even built a cold-frame.

Here's my Soil mix,I have used it for several years and it keeps increasing in value and texture etc.

Mother Soil (about 1/3) (any good rich black clay-ish and lively local soil)
    Aged live(damp) screened WORM COMPOST about 2/5s or less
    Mycorrhizal compost about1/3 ish (also home grown)

5/16ths Red Lava rock (from Wheeler Zamaroni ) about four or five handfuls per 3 gallon pot
    (depending on density of your Mother soil)

Glacial Mineral powder around a cup or two per plant(read bag for directions)

it feels and looks so good and the plants are saying YUM

Add fertilizer of your choice in appropriate amounts when planting

So why celebrate This so joyfully ?

Because I am a worm Farmer. I like to promote worm populations in our local soils(or any soils) because they are self sustaining and increase the vitality of soils even when fallow.

I dislike seeing a culture that is dependent on Kiln fired products that serve the needs of corporate giants being pawned of as "harmless" and "just how it's done" etc.

Perlite and Vermiculite are produced in Kilns like Asphalt and Fiberglass,these giant furnaces run 24 hours a day in nasty industrial towns you would not want to be in.They cost Climate Change and Air quality at a rate not accurately measured.

tests done by a friend of mine,and repeated by me have shown that PERLITE and VERMICULITE are problem materials for many reasons. they decrease or even eliminate worm presence in soils.

The DUST from dry potting soils etc. are dangerous and harmful to breathe(as are ANY minerals,but they are simply worse https://www.emsl.com/PDFDocuments/Marketing/EMSL_Silica.PDF ) ,(microscopically mimicking broken glass and Christmas balls) please do not work with them without wearing a mask.

But really ,most important is the choice not to support industries that pollute 24 7 .

BIOCHAR is a humongously superior way to lighten and feed soils simultaneously.
    the industry LOVES perlite becuse it is light and trucks cheaply,they make money selling you an inferior
    product,surprised?

Happy planting call me for free worms or worm info.!

Nico B.K.

oh p.s. those little white dots in the pots are ugly.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: