Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Kevind

alternative ISP to Sonic?

A friend who decided to drop AT&T didn't realize that Sonic requires DSL users to use AT&T.

She loves Sonic, but her AT&T bill got huge. Has anyone had a good experience with another
    phone carrier than AT&T and an ISP other than Sonic?

Thanx.
    Kevin
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Asa

Re: alternative ISP to Sonic?

We just switched to Sonic's Fusion service in Rohnert Park, which is phone+uncapped/unlimited dsl for about $40/mo. Free domestic calling and 8 hours of free international calling. We couldn't be happier. I know that the "last mile" copper-to-house is owned and wholesaled by AT&T, but there is no alternative to that in most communities, no matter who you buy DSL from or have as your local exchange carrier. (except with a technology change: Comcast; 3G/4G; Satellite; wireless in some remote areas).

If Fusion is not available at her address (I understand Sonic is phasing out it's DSL-only service in favor of fusion), even if Sonic requires her to keep AT&T as her local exchange carrier, she can always sign up with a cheap long distance carrier. I've not been in that position in a few years, and can't recall who I used, but there were good options I found at the time ranging from cheap flat rate service to penny a minute service. Many with very cheap international calling too. Voice over IP is a possibility if her DSL speeds have plenty of space, but best to get advice from someone knowledgeable about it. IT can be extremely inexpensive, but a lot of the info is technical, and unless she's content making her calls from a computer headset, requires an equipment investment.

Sorry I can't be more specific with the alternatives,
    Asa
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kevind: View Post
    A friend who decided to drop AT&T didn't realize that Sonic requires DSL users to use AT&T.

She loves Sonic, but her AT&T bill got huge. Has anyone had a good experience with another

Thanx.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    MAG

See if Sonic "Fusion" is available - includes free phone service and other extras. I have Sonic Fusion and was able to give up AT&T phone (= no AT&T bills) even though Sonic uses AT&T lines.

Thanx.
    Kevin

5. TopTop #4
    Ronaldo

I recently dropped (ComCast, excuuuse me—now Xfinity) internet service for Sonics but had to drop my life-line phone service as Sonic's internet and phone service are bundled. Telephone service just land line by the way not cell. Sonic doesn't offer cell or TV service, yet.
    Ron

6. TopTop #5

I don't quite understand the problem. I have fusion and do not have to deal with AT&T at all. They are a subcontractor--or something similar--that sonic deals with. When I've had a couple of line problems, sonic did the troubleshooting and interacted with AT&T as necessary. I have not bill from AT&T whatsoever, except for my cell phone service (I'll be switching to a new cell provider soon).

When I dropped AT&T in favor of fusion, there was a HUGE jump in my AT&T cell service bill, even though the two are unrelated. Could this be the problem? After landing in AT&T's ICU office in Florida, I received close to $800 in refunds. No one ever really figured out what happened, except that I was grossly overcharged.

Sonic provides outstanding service and the best customer service ever.

Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2013 at 03:01 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by: