Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sasu

Sebastopol Smart Meter update: chasing off installers

Wellington, a company contracted by PG&E, is installing Smart Meters in Sebastopol despite the fact that Sebastopol has asked for a moratorium twice; that Sebastopol council supports a Smart Meter community wide opt out; and that the CPUC has a proceeding pending to investigate the possibility of community opt-out.

Yesterday morning residents at Burbank Heights and Orchards (senior housing community) and Sebastopol residents chased off an installer, who admitted he had only two weeks training and was not an electrical contractor, which is a requirement for FCC safety conditions. 83% of the residents there opposed the meters. As he was leaving he said he was going to file a police report, and when I brought the camera out he got in his truck and left.

Two more Wellington trucks were on Murphy Street, where two men were installing gas smart meters. When I approached them they did not answer any of questions. They eventually packed up their stuff and left, putting the analog gas meter back together. See video here:

Smart Meter installers drive small white Wellington Ford Ranger trucks. They are installing throughout Sebastopol now. There were at least three trucks in town today. It appears the installers have been instructed to vacate a scene if they are approached. They also seem to leave town if followed, rather than going to the next house to install. They seem to fear cameras and questions.

If you see an installer you can ask these questions: Are you a licensed electrical contractor? Did you know Sebastopol asked for a moratorium on Smart Meters twice? Did you know there's a CPUC proceeding that's investigating a community opt- out program? Did you know that the Sebastopol council supports community opt out? Help us keep Smart Meters out of Sebastopol.

Tonight Tuesday Feb 5 at 6 pm is a council meeting at the Sebastopol teen center. Please join us at public comments and let's ask if they can take some action to ban the meters after all.

Gratefully,
    Sandi
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sabrina

Re: Sebastopol Smart Meter update: chasing off installers

Thanks for sharing that Sandi! And here is a new petition with a different focus for several states including CA...I signed it, but you can also edit it if you like - as it states that Ca wants to allow the charging of people for not installing the smart meter, when they already have allowed it! https://www.anh-usa.org/allow-a-smar...r-face-arrest/

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sasu: View Post
    Wellington, a company contracted by PG&E, is installing Smart Meters in Sebastopol despite the fact that Sebastopol has asked for a moratorium twice; that Sebastopol council supports a Smart Meter community wide opt out; and that the CPUC has a proceeding pending to investigate the possibility of community opt-out.

Yesterday morning residents at Burbank Heights and Orchards (senior housing community) and Sebastopol residents chased off an installer, who admitted he had only two weeks training and was not an electrical contractor, which is a requirement for FCC safety conditions. 83% of the residents there opposed the meters. As he was leaving he said he was going to file a police report, and when I brought the camera out he got in his truck and left.

Two more Wellington trucks were on Murphy Street, where two men were installing gas smart meters. When I approached them they did not answer any of questions. They eventually packed up their stuff and left, putting the analog gas meter back together. See video here:

Smart Meter installers drive small white Wellington Ford Ranger trucks. They are installing throughout Sebastopol now. There were at least three trucks in town today. It appears the installers have been instructed to vacate a scene if they are approached. They also seem to leave town if followed, rather than going to the next house to install. They seem to fear cameras and questions.

If you see an installer you can ask these questions: Are you a licensed electrical contractor? Did you know Sebastopol asked for a moratorium on Smart Meters twice? Did you know there's a CPUC proceeding that's investigating a community opt- out program? Did you know that the Sebastopol council supports community opt out? Help us keep Smart Meters out of Sebastopol.

Tonight Tuesday Feb 5 at 6 pm is a council meeting at the Sebastopol teen center. Please join us at public comments and let's ask if they can take some action to ban the meters after all.

Gratefully,
    Sandi

3. TopTop #3
    Portia
    Supporting Member

I just had a guy named Joesph ring the bell re Smart Meter installation. I told him no. He confirmed he is not an electrical contractor, and said I was not on the opt out list. I have proof I am and have been since the start... Claimed he did not know they were being run off in Sebastopol...

I politely but seriously gave him a piece of my mind and he gave me an Opt-Out card.

After emailing all my neighbors at Two Acre Wood and calling my next door neighbors, I went out with Sandi's print out. He was gone. I guess he rang my bell last cause I was on the no list - that he said I was not on. Unfort my closest neighbor already said yes and he installed it across from my kitchen window. Damn - Portia

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #4
    Buttons

I had a smart meter installed at my Sebastopol residence 2 years ago. I have not observed any ill effects from it.
    I don't understand the great opposition to them in Sebastopol.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Sabrina

Hi Rharmon,

I can understand, many people may not notice anything with them right off the bat. and others are more sensitive. BUT if you can get the time, the following is an excellent and new release movie, originally shared by Melissa Weaver. It's at least an hour long, but VERY well done. After watching it you will understand a great deal more "why" folks are concerned with the waves emitting from smart meters and cell phones / cell phone towers.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    Sabrina

I got a private message from someone that the plug in was blocked or something for the movie RESONANCE that I just posted. It works for me...but try going to it as a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vb9...ature=youtu.be. You should be able to go right to that link and watch from Youtube. Anyone else have an issue w/ viewing the video from waccobb.net?

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    I got a private message from someone that the plug in was blocked or something for the movie RESONANCE that I just posted. It works for me...but try going to it as a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vb9...ature=youtu.be. You should be able to go right to that link and watch from Youtube. Anyone else have an issue w/ viewing the video from waccobb.net?
    While we support embedded videos easily enough on our website (if your computer/browser are willing to play along), embedding videos in emails (such as our Daily Digest) is generally not supported. It did work for me on my Mac when viewing the digest in the Mac Mail program until I upgraded to Lion/Mtn Lion. Now when videos are embedded in the digest I get "blocked plug-in". I haven't been able to figure out how to make them play anymore.

I've recently changed the system to convert the embedded videos (Youtube, only) to a thumbnail and "Watch Video" both of which link back to the website where the video can be played. Unfortunately the conversion from the embedded video to a thumbnail/link is not always working. We are working at that. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, you can always click thebutton at the bottom of the post to see the post on the WaccoBB website where the video can be played.

Update 1:50pm: I believe we got it fixed this morning!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I just received an automated call from PG&E informing me that my house (just outside of Sebastopol city limits) is being scheduled for an "upgrade" to a smartmeter. They included the option to talk to a live representative about opting out, which I took.

The representative was quite nice ("I totally understand your concerns...") but provided their standard opt-out policy ($75 one-time charge and $10 monthly charge). If I didn't like it he encouraged me to write to the CPUC.

He also mentioned that people on the CARE program only have to pay a one time fee of $10 and a $5 monthly fee.

I have a solar system which I thought was not compatible with a smart meter. But they know that I have one, but they still called me anyway.

He said about 50-60,000 customers of their 11 million (about 1/2 of 1%) choose to opt out. But presumably that only covers the areas where they have rolled out this program.

I have to say that , finally, after 2(?) years, PG&E is beginning to handle their customer relations better.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    sambacat
    Supporting member

The video posted by Sabrina is really amazing … and extremely discouraging -- things have gotten so out of hand. Thanks for posting……I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vb9...ature=youtu.be.