Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Varda

Talking Politics with the Farmer's Market

Hello to my Wacco friends...

Can I talk politics today? Is that OK with you?

Even if you think that voting is a waste of your time, please get out there and vote Yes on Proposition 37, which is about the right to know what’s in our food. I just read a whole piece about obesity and kids and junk food and corporate control of our food. It’s so grim - this poisoning of our food without our consent.

In some ways this entire election is about the purchase and ownership of our lives by some kind of Darth Vader entity somewhere. I read that Monsanto is spending one million dollars every day to defeat 37. What can one possibly say to express the magnitude of that much money being spent to deprive us of our right to know what we are eating! Jesus!

We are so lucky to have a year round, happily locally grown farmers market within 5 minutes from where we live. We don’t have to eat junk food but so many people do. We can be of some service with our vote.

In the city of Sebastopol there is, of course, John Eder and Robert Jacobs - our ray of hope for something other than a Chase Bank and CVS pharmacy at the gateway to our town.

One of my kids went to college in Indiana. There are dozens of CVS pharmacies all over the state. The one here is just exactly like all the CVS’s in Indiana. Lots of coke and pepsi and snail killer. Ugh. Worth getting out to vote to make a choice for something else.

Meanwhile I am supposed to be telling you about food:

- Dave & Jim, the chestnut guys, are coming this Sunday! It’s really fall when the chestnut guys come.

-Peppers are fantastic.

-And I am starting to love green food again. I always kind of shun kale and chard in the summer but there’s something compelling about these greens in winter when it’s a little cold.

See you on Sunday. Town Plaza in Sebastopol - 10:00 to 1:30. For more information call Paula at 522-9305.

Paula
    Farm Market Manager
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gardenmaniac

Re: What is new at the Sebastopol farmers market this Sunday?

think about it: if GMOs were good and people wanted to eat them, companies would be proud to label them ...

3. TopTop #3

Re: What is new at the Sebastopol farmers market this Sunday?

OK with me to talk politics, let's just keep it real.

For all the years I've been supporting the Farmer's Market in Sebastopol, and occasionally the original one in Santa Rosa; it would be nice to have the full record included on my position to keep Chase/CVS out of downtown. I was not late to that issue, as some others were. Let's not dilute the truth by exclusion.

Which other candidates have taken on the vast array of issues which challenge our well being, from water to smart meters, to having the City of Sebastopol mind its own ordinances regarding herbicide use on City owned property? Not just during a debate for the City Council race, but visibly over the last several years?

After standing up for sustainability for the last decade here; it's essential to have the voters aware of the full spectrum of issues and positions I've taken.

I've recently been informed that someone is falsely claiming that I am not supporting Prop. 37. Let the record show I have always been against genetic modification of food and animals; and in full support of labeling these products.

It's more than important that those who love Sebastopol see how far this City has slipped when it comes to social and environmental values; while none of the other candidates have noticed, or have a plan to address this.

My efforts to support the values we hold dear in Sebastopol have been documented in my public comments at meetings for 10 years; not just Sebastopol's City Council meetings, also at: 3 counties, a dozen cities, and countless public/NGO meetings on: water, wastewater, watershed protection; clean, community run energy; Green building; climate protection; and organic/bio dynamic food security, etc.

A deeply polarized public, more mushy middle council members, and script fed candidates will not fill the void needed to repair and protect our holistic standards here.

I'm informed; have a backbone, and will use it!

How many of the other candidates have done anything to end the unconstitutional wars which are draining the moral and fiscal well being of our community and country?

If you all were putting an equal amount of energy into compelling the City of Sebastopol to take a stand on that, as you do on CVS/Chase; the path towards progress on de-funding wars of choice would be furthered, so we can restore our local infrastructure without continuing to raise taxes and utility rates.

Until the majority of you take action on this; our progressive values will remain an illusion of our civic identity, and our ability to thrive continues to be diminished.

There is only one candidate in this race who is not beholden to any special interest by way of contributions or endorsements. This is not just a slogan, it's my intention I have demostrated by example - I'm here to Occupy the Sebastopol City Council for the best interest of the 99%, as a non-partisan patriot for our inheritable future.

Colleen Fernald

www.campaignforpeace.org

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Varda: View Post
    Hello to my Wacco friends...

Can I talk politics today? Is that OK with you?