Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Looking for better Smart Meter removal solution

Would anyone please share with me any success they've had avoiding becoming a participant in the opt out and monthly fee situation when having to request removal of a Smart Meter already there upon moving in? I am told I have the right to ask PGE to remove it, but it will put me on the $75 opt out/$10/mo list of people being charged while all the legal challenges and litigations about it are still underway which I would prefer to avoid.

FYI, I'll never know if the former home owners allowed and/or agreed for it to be installed or if it matters. I've read a lot about the initial refusal before installation success stories, but not much about after the fact removals.

I am aware of the option of sending appropriate notices, buying an analog, installing it yourself and returning the digital, but it still may not avoid the opt out charges. I would like to hear from anyone who has changed it themselves and the results, and/or other solutions anyone has successfully used.

Much appreciation.
    Alex
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    BobHeisler

Re: Looking for better Smart Meter removal solution

Alex, ever since my sister became very ill from a bank of many SmartMeters close to her residence, I've been opposed to them. Two meters were installed on my home while I was renting it, which pissed me off. Since then, I've gotten on the opt-out program and had them removed from my house early last spring. About two or three months ago I started to see opt-out charges appear on my PG&E bill, but I'm not paying them. I understand there's legal action to halt opt-out charges entirely and am hopeful that we'll prevail.

Recently, the state legislature passed legislation to require utility companies to improve safety practices in general, as well as govern the compensation that utility executives can receive. I'm hoping that this general change in the regulatory climate results in new laws to protect citizens from Smart Meters and prohibits utility companies from charging consumers who decide to opt out. You can contact PG&E to request that the meters are removed from your house. Good luck.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alexia: View Post
    Would anyone please share with me any success they've had avoiding becoming a participant in the opt out and monthly fee situation when having to request removal of a Smart Meter already there upon moving in? I am told I have the right to ask PGE to remove it, but it will put me on the $75 opt out/$10/mo list of people being charged while all the legal challenges and litigations about it are still underway which I would prefer to avoid.

FYI, I'll never know if the former home owners allowed and/or agreed for it to be installed or if it matters. I've read a lot about the initial refusal before installation success stories, but not much about after the fact removals.

I am aware of the option of sending appropriate notices, buying an analog, installing it yourself and returning the digital, but it still may not avoid the opt out charges. I would like to hear from anyone who has changed it themselves and the results, and/or other solutions anyone has successfully used.

Much appreciation.
    Alex
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by: