Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mamaj

Efren Carrillo busted!

It's now time for Carrillo to step down from his supervisor position. It was so illegal what he did,beating up a person until he was knocked out cold unable to say what really happened .What condition is this person in now? Efren says he was protecting women he was with...... a likely great reason to beat up someone. What happened to calling the police on his cell phone ? I think he is covering up the true facts of what really happened. Just like he covers up other mistakes he makes. Then he takes a trip abroad avoiding the issues concerning his arrest ,leaving it to his lawyers and staff to comment for him.What he did is unlawful and he needs to be removed from his office immediatly. Get a real compentant person to replace him who really cares for this county,like Ernie Carpenter. If they can fire the San Francisco sheriff , then they should fire Efren Carrillo,and not waste any time in doing so.......
    Last edited by Barry; 09-06-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Efren Carrillo busted!

Last edited by Barry; 09-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    tommy

I felt proud of Efren. It's chivalrous to defend your woman. How many men (or women) would have the balls to do the same thing?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mamaj: View Post
    It's now time for Carrillo to step down from his supervisor position. It was so illegal what he did,beating up a person until he was knocked out cold unable to say what really happened .What condition is this person in now? Efren says he was protecting women he was with...... a likely great reason to beat up someone. What happened to calling the police on his cell phone ? I think he is covering up the true facts of what really happened. Just like he covers up other mistakes he makes. Then he takes a trip abroad avoiding the issues concerning his arrest ,leaving it to his lawyers and staff to comment for him.What he did is unlawful and he needs to be removed from his office immediatly. Get a real compentant person to replace him who really cares for this county,like Ernie Carpenter. If they can fire the San Francisco sheriff , then they should fire Efren Carrillo,and not waste any time in doing so.......

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4

Thanks, Tommy.

Someone close to me has gone out with Efren. Her impressions validate your view.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    I felt proud of Efren. It's chivalrous to defend your woman. How many men (or women) would have the balls to do the same thing?

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    It's a question of what you are defending them from and how you defend them. As I understand it, the legal question, which I think is correct, is who transitioned from verbal harassment to physical harassment. No matter what the "rowdies" said, if Efren threw the first punch, or even the first shove, then he's culpable. However even that line can be quite fuzzy.

No doubt opinions about what happened and who's at fault will be shaped more by one's general opinion about Efren in general. However that's really not well founded, especially since most opinions of Efren's are based about his politics rather than his personal behavior.

For my own sake, while have disagreed with Efren on some issues (and agreed with him on others), I have found him to be of high personal integrity. And I could also see him going overboard to defend his friends. That's not the worst flaw, but a flaw none the less. And we all have flaws...

I think it's most unfortunate for this to happen. Whether you agree with him or not, Efren is a highly capable young leader. Whether he succeeds or fails in his promising political career should be more determined by his political leadership rather than how he measures his response when confronted by rowdies harassing his friends. OTOH, if any future events expose the same flaw, there's a problem.

Here's today's update from the PD:

New details in arrest as Carrillo heads to Russia
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120906/ARTICLES/120909748/1033/news?p=all&tc=pgall&tc=ar
    By PAUL PAYNE
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 3:00 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:12 a.m.

Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo departed for Russia on Thursday as questions swirled about his arrest during a brawl in San Diego over Labor Day.

Several new details emerged Thursday about the fight outside a San Diego nightclub that left one man unconscious and landed one of Sonoma County's youngest and most popular politicians in jail for 10 hours on suspicion of felony battery causing injury.

Police Lt. Andra Brown said the investigation has not reached the stage at which detectives will decide whether to send the case to the San Diego District Attorney's Office with a recommendation that charges be filed.

She noted that battery with injury is a "wobbler," meaning it can be charged as a felony or a misdemeanor. Felonies are handled by the District Attorney's Office, misdemeanors by the city attorney, she said.

In Santa Rosa, calls poured into Carrillo's district office Thursday after the incident surfaced in news reports. Most of the callers expressed support for Carrillo, but some were critical, district director Susan Upchurch said.

Carrillo spoke with his aide Thursday, but for the second straight day did not return multiple phone calls and text messages seeking comment about the early Monday altercation.

His silence has left many key questions unanswered, including who was with him when the fight broke out, who bailed him out of jail and what attorney is representing the 31-year-old supervisor.

In a statement issued by his office Wednesday after reports of the arrest first surfaced, Carrillo said he stepped in to defend women in his group who were being harassed by "rowdies."

According to family members, Carrillo left Thursday from San Francisco International Airport on an eight-day trip to Russia. He is part of a group of North Coast residents marking the bicentennial of the founding of the former Russian settlement of Fort Ross on the Sonoma Coast.

Fort Ross, now a state park, is in Carrillo's 5th Supervisorial District.

Carrillo made his own way to the airport for the 2 p.m. flight to St. Petersburg, Russia, electing not to join the other 22 people in the group for the bus ride from Petaluma.

Supporters said they trust Carrillo's version of the fight and believe he did nothing wrong. Those going to Russia with Carrillo said they didn't think the incident would overshadow the trip.

"I don't have any reason to doubt his word about what happened," said Dave Lemmer of Camp Meeker.

Trip director Robin Joy Wellman said Carrillo would be among those meeting Russian government officials in St. Petersburg and Moscow. State Sen. Noreen Evans, D-Santa Rosa, is in Russia on a separate trip with other lawmakers and is expected to join Carrillo at some point.

"It's important for Efren to be there," Wellman said before boarding the bus. "We have full faith in him."

Meanwhile, San Diego authorities offered a bit more information about the confrontation, which happened on Fourth Avenue in the center of the city's Gaslamp Quarter entertainment district.

Brown, the police lieutenant, said officers were called out at about 2:10 a.m. to find three men fighting in the street. They arrested Carrillo first and then detained a second man, Rayan Jastaniyah, 22, of San Diego, who appeared to try to get away, Brown said.

"The other suspect tried to mingle in the crowd," she said. "People pointed him out and he was arrested as well."

She said she didn't know if Carrillo and Jastaniyah were friends.

The third man, Jovan Will, 30, of Mesa, Ariz., was knocked unconscious, she said. Will declined comment when reached by phone Thursday.

Carrillo and Jastaniyah were booked on suspicion of battery causing serious injury and disturbing the peace.

Carrillo was released from jail just before noon Monday after posting $10,000 bail, according to jail records.

Brown said detectives were interviewing numerous witnesses and Will, who initially is being considered a victim in the case. It is unclear if the fight was captured on one of many video surveillance cameras in the area, but Brown said it was a possibility.

"There are a lot of moving parts to this," Brown said. "Many witnesses are being contacted."

It was unclear when Carrillo returned to Sonoma County. He attended a Sebastopol City Council meeting Tuesday night. His aide Upchurch said he was in San Francisco on Wednesday in preparation for his flight to Russia.

Upchurch said she talked to Carrillo on Thursday morning about his travel plans but nothing else.

She said she fielded about 20 calls, most expressing support but some offering critical comments and asking about the funding for the Russian trip. She said Carrillo is paying for it himself.

Upchurch said she didn't know who Carrillo was visiting in San Diego or who he was with at the time of the arrest. She also didn't know how long he had been in Southern California.

"I don't ask him his personal business," she said.

In a written statement issued Wednesday, Carrillo said he was in San Diego on a personal business trip. He was socializing with a group of friends when "rowdies approached our group and harassed the women in our group."

"I stepped in to protect them," he said. "I'm anxious to tell my side of the story during legal proceedings."

The statement went on to say he was traveling and would be unavailable until he returns to the office for a board meeting Sept. 18. His aide said he was returning to California on Sept. 14, ahead of the rest of the group.

Friends and longtime political backers rallied in his support.

"He is one of my community 'mijos' and I've always been very proud of how he's conducted himself and the integrity he's had in our community," said Donna Zapata, executive director of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, referring to Carrillo with the diminutive common in Mexican culture.

"The consensus, in talking to folks, is we all know him. There had to have been something that was a motivator," Zapata said, "and that would have been someone was being harmed. I don't see him sitting back and saying, 'Oh, I'm an elected official, I'm going to turn my head.' "

Another friend, Rene Meza, an organizer of the annual Cinco de Mayo festival in Santa Rosa, said, "We know that definitely he's the type of person who would reach out and defend someone in need."

Staff Writers Jeremy Hay and Julie Johnson contributed to this story.

You can reach Staff Writer Paul Payne at 568-5312 or [email protected].

9. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

10. TopTop #6
    wildflower

I'm sure he will NOT voluntarily step down. He is too ambitious. It would be nice though... so we could get a more environmentally aware and committed supervisor in there!

11. TopTop #7
    wildflower

Public opinion which is mostly favorable will prevail....but what really matters is what actually happened and will we EVER really know???

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

12. TopTop #8
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mamaj: View Post
    So, mama j, you think Carrillo should step down right now based on your political beliefs, never mind the facts of the incident? If Ernie was elected and the same thing happened, you would give him the benefit of the doubt?
    Get a clue, lady!

13. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Imagery

If you've read my posts regarding Efren, you know very clearly where I stand regarding his politics. You know I simply despise the way he makes decisions (all in favor of big business), and so on. In THIS particular case, however, I have to simply wait for both sides of the story to be told in order to make a decision.
    In this country, he is INNOCENT until proven guilty in a court of law. I'm not one to judge at this time.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #10
    occihoff

I have no knowledge or opinion about the incident, and I've generally found Efren likeable and brilliant, but when you say "high personal integrity" I have to mention the one thing that has made me uncomfortable in that regard. It's the "pig flyer" that came out from Efren's campaign headquarters during the recent election. Remember? The flyer featured a big picture of a hog wallowing in the mud, and linked this image to Efren's opponent, Ernie Carpenter. When I expressed consternation about this in a phone message to his headquarters, using the tiny number that was almost invisible on the flyer, to his credit Efren called me back and we really had a discussion about it.

But Efren took the position that the hog imagery was merely a harmless metaphor that referred to misstatements he felt Ernie had been making, whereas I took the position that it was a blatant emotive smear that actually made Efren look worse than the opponent he was trying to criticize. If Efren had simply said, "yeah, that was over the top, and I wish we hadn't done that," I would have felt a little better about him, although still with some lingering feeling of doubt in regard to his integrity. But instead he continued to defend the flyer as no big deal, and that bothers me more than any political positions he has taken.

For my own sake, while have disagreed with Efren on some issues (and agreed with him on others), I have found him to be of high personal integrity. And I could also see him going overboard to defend his friends. That's not the worst flaw, but a flaw none the less. And we all have flaws...

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11
    peacetree

Re: Efren Carrillo :How about old fashioned ' innocent until proven guilty'?

I don't know the total details , and neither does anyone else who is weighing in with judgement here. I am just a tad old fashioned, but I really do believe in the old innocent until proven guilty deal. It is very easy to condemn someone in the newspaper or TV arena,but absolutely wrong. The media is out to sensationalize whatever they can to sell their ads or papers, to drum up interest in their product for ratings.

I am suspicious as this allegedly occurred near the border of our fair country , where the rush to judgement for folks who are or APPEAR TO BE from Mexico, or Central or South America is a fact of life. I am reserving judgement until all the FACTS are seen in a court of law, with proof given.I know , if I were in a similar situation I sure would want and EXPECT to have fair hearing of the facts before suffering any sort of penalty. I know we are all seeing a rush to judgement being foisted on folks like Bradley Manning and others, with really awful consequences to our liberties as citizens. Do you REALLY want to join up on that bandwagon??? Slow down, why are you rushing to make/decide what happened and what should be done about it? THAT is what I find so remarkable about different folks reactions. I wonder if THEY have agendas that are served by drumming up this rush to judgement?
    Peace, Christmas

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #12
    mamaj

Yes it would be nice to hear the "other side" of the story.Does anyone know the name or condition of the person he injured(knocked out) .Carrillo is experienced in martial arts as well and on a power trip..... Yes he seemed very nice when my family and I met him . His parents are nice people . Efferen Carrillo is nice but is not into doing what he says or promises except to the big money people in Sonoma County who have him "watching their backs" and they are watching his........politics as usual in this county,as well as the court system here.My family has been here since the 1870's I know what I'm talking about,and it's time for a healthier more positive change,not back door deals,not protection for the bad guys.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #13
    Imagery

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but with each passing day the Press Democrat publishes something about this story...
    ...however it's all backpedaling, and now instead of felony charges, he might not even be charged with a crime at all. Interesting that those screaming loudest for his lynching...
    (edited to reflect the nearly simultaneous posting of the OP)

23. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Carrillo charges reduced, may be dropped
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall

By PAUL PAYNE & JEREMY HAY
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Monday, September 10, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 7:53 a.m.

Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo will not face felony charges in connection with his arrest after a downtown San Diego street fight, police said Monday.

San Diego Police Detective Gary Hassen said his captain has deemed the case a misdemeanor that would be handled by the city attorney rather than the San Diego district attorney. Police also could decide to recommend no charges. A final decision will come sometime this week, Hassen said.

At the time of his arrest on Labor Day, Carrillo was jailed on suspicion of felony battery.

After news of his arrest was first reported Wednesday, Carrillo released a brief statement and then went silent. He left the next day for Russia on a group trip to explore the history of Russian settlers on the North Coast.

Carrillo was unavailable for comment Monday. He is due to return Friday from Russia.

Carrillo, 31, was picked up shortly after 2 a.m. Sept. 3 after a fight broke out involving him and two other men on a street in San Diego's popular Gaslamp Quarter.

The man identified by police as the victim, Jovan Will, 31, of Mesa, Ariz., was found unconscious and hospitalized briefly. He has declined comment.

Hassen said Will was on pain medication when contacted by investigators and was unable to decide if he wanted to press charges against Carrillo.

Former west county Supervisor Eric Koenigshofer, a close political supporter of Carrillo's, said the two spoke before the statement was released and he advised Carrillo to say nothing further because the legal process and investigation were under way and beyond his control.

"There wasn't anything he could do between the incident and when he had to leave (for Russia) other than to issue a clear, concise statement that briefly answered the question of what happened," said Koenigshofer, who is an attorney but is not representing Carrillo in this matter.

Koenigshofer said that when they spoke, Carrillo was "very upset because the incident occurred and he was basically embarrassed about what would inevitably be the kind of coverage. And he expressed great interest that the facts should get out."

In his statement, Carrillo said he was on a personal trip and socializing with friends who included women that "rowdies" started to harass.

"I stepped in to protect them," he said.

A police spokeswoman said witnesses to the fight included women who said they were with Carrillo, who was released the day of his arrest after posting $10,000 bail.

Investigators are expected to reach out to Will again today to determine if he wants to go forward with prosecution, Hassen said.

"We're waiting to see what the victim wants to do on this one," Hassen said.

Carrillo and another suspect, Rayan Jastanyah, 22, of San Diego, who could not be located for an interview, initially were booked on suspicion of felony battery causing great bodily injury and misdemeanor disturbing the peace. Police and San Diego County Jail officials have declined to release Carrillo's booking photo.

No additional details have emerged about Carrillo's trip to San Diego or the 2:10 a.m. incident, which took place on bustling Fourth Avenue, lined with restaurants and bars, a pricey nightclub, an art gallery and a residential hotel.

Late-night disturbances of the sort Carrillo apparently was involved in are not entirely uncommon as hundreds of patrons, who often have been drinking, are discharged into the night as bars close, said restaurant employees in the area.

Carrillo was not tested for alcohol or drugs, San Diego Police Lt. Andra Brown said, and Koenigshofer said he did not know whether Carrillo had been drinking.

"I suppose there are some people in our community who in their 20s and early 30s never went out to nightclubs with their friends or never drank," he said, "but probably and in my experience, it's not an unusual thing and it's not illegal. So if he had been drinking, it wouldn't be surprising."

Susan Upchurch, Carrillo's district aide, said Monday she had taken calls from "less than 20" constituents and "most have been very supportive."

Asked for further details, she said: "I'm a county employee and I have a very busy job trying to serve the constituents of the district. This is a personal matter and I'm not involved in it, other than answering calls about it."

You can reach Staff Writer Paul Payne at 568-5312 or [email protected].
    You can reach Staff Writer Jeremy Hay at 521-5212 or [email protected].

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #15
    rebeca

oh look, "Assault charges dropped against Carrillo"

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...fb99ae144ddba3

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #16
    Magick

There's a surprise...well done on the damage control Eric Koenigshofer and the rest of the money behind Efren...Like Dylan said, "money doesn't talk it swears". Mark my words the truth will eventually come out about this night and others like it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rebeca: View Post
    oh look, "Assault charges dropped against Carrillo"

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...fb99ae144ddba3

28. TopTop #17
    photolite

OK. First off, Eric Koenigshofer is a hard working stiff, hardly "the money behind Efren". I expect he'd get a good chuckle out of your characterization.

Second, what do you know that the rest of us don't about "this night and others like it"?

For a so called "consciousness community" this is truly very low consciousness stuff.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Magick: View Post
    There's a surprise...well done on the damage control Eric Koenigshofer and the rest of the money behind Efren...Like Dylan said, "money doesn't talk it swears". Mark my words the truth will eventually come out about this night and others like it.

29. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

30. TopTop #18
    Damien

...Eric is a hard working stiff...The world is flat ... Efren is innocent ...the world is only a couple of thousand years old ... the moon is made of cheese ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    OK. First off, Eric Koenigshofer is a hard working stiff, hardly "the money behind Efren". I expect he'd get a good chuckle out of your characterization.

Second, what do you know that the rest of us don't about "this night and others like it"?

For a so called "consciousness community" this is truly very low consciousness stuff.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #19
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

post removed
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.

33. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

34. TopTop #20
    jbox

post removed
    Really, Barry, I expected better of you, the self proclaimed and actual Founder And Moderator of waccoland. Either you research this a little, cite your sources, or you shouldn't repeat unsubstantiated rumors in a public forum.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.

35. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: