Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Dogs died within days of eating treats from China!! Please don't kill your beloved pets

Dear Bonnie,

Heidi and BJ were both healthy dogs that passed away within days of eating chicken jerky dog treats from China. Rita and Terie, their owners, are calling on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to prevent this from happening to other pets by stopping the sale of potentially tainted Chinese pet food in the U.S.

Join Rita and Terie and tell the FDA to protect pets and humans by banning pet food imports from China and implementing strong food safety standards!

According to Rita, "Heidi was a happy and healthy 8-year-old German Shepherd on May 23, 2012 when I gave her just two chicken jerky dog treats as a 'special' treat. Within two days she became ill, vomiting and diarrhea and lethargy, refusing all food but drinking water excessively. On Memorial Day, May 28, 2012, Heidi died a horrific death in my arms. The void her passing has left in my life is almost unbearable. I live alone and Heidi was my constant companion, my loyal friend, my fierce protector."

Rita's not alone in experiencing an incredible loss from what should have been a "treat" for her dog. Despite the flood of reports of dogs dying from imported dog treats going back as far as 2007, the FDA has done nothing to fix the problem. Unfortunately, these pet treats are likely just the tip of the iceberg. We know that the FDA has a poor track record of ensuring the safety of food from China for people and pets. Help make sure this doesn't happen to more pets or people by contacting the FDA today.

Just like Heidi, Terie’s dog BJ was healthy and active. Similarly to Rita, Terie’s husband fed BJ some chicken jerky from a new bag and “by the next day [BJ] was extremely sick, slurping water constantly and vomiting. When we got to the vet the next morning he was in kidney failure, liver failure, and acute pancreatitis. The vet told me not to expect a good outcome. He was critical...My less than 3-year-old healthy dog had died 4 days after getting a bad 'treat.'”

The FDA regulates the import of pet food and processed human food, but they have done very little to stop contaminated food from China from being sold in the U.S. This isn't the first time that tainted pet food from China has harmed our pets. Just a few years ago thousands of pets became sick and died after eating pet food contaminated with melamine, and right now there are more than 60 human food products that are banned from being imported from China because of unsafe substances, including milk products contaminated with melamine.

The new food safety rules that passed more than a year ago haven't been implemented yet, so there may be other contaminated food ending up on store shelves, and on your dinner plate.

Ask the FDA to recall tainted pet treats, so more pets don't get sick, and prevent this from happening in the future by implementing the food safety standards that passed more than a year ago.

Tell the FDA to keep food safe for pets and humans by banning pet food imports from China and implementing strong food safety standards:
    https://action.foodandwaterwatch.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=11400

Thanks for taking action,

Sarah Alexander
    Education & Outreach Director
    Food & Water Watch
    goodfood(at)fwwatch(dot)org
    Share This
    Food & Water Watch is a consumer advocacy nonprofit that challenges the corporate control of our food and water. We empower people to take action and transform the public consciousness about what we eat and drink.
    Contact Us Visit the Website Unsubscribe
    Food & Water Watch, 1616 P Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20036 • (202) 683-2500
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Dogs died within days of eating treats from China!! Please don't kill your beloved pet

Made in China = poisonous to animals
    I do not feed my animals ANYTHING made in China, and while I'm not rich by any means, I will always feed our animals one of the few brands of food NOT affected by the massive melamine recall. Treats are homemade, completely organic, sourced 100% from products that are trusted.

My advice: Don't EVER trust a product made in China to be non-toxic to your pet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: