Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Tech Tips
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Tech Tips

Let's share our favorite text tech tips with each other!I'll start with a couple:

First, the new Mac operating system, Mountain Lion, includes the ability to dictate any place where you can type text! I've been waiting for this for ever! In fact this whole tip is dictated! So that means you can use it on wacko Wacco, too. It does seem as though it has a limited capacity per dictation segment, of about a paragraph. So give it a try both on wackoWacco and elsewhere let us know how it works for you.

Here's another tip for Mac users. I'm forever hitting the Caps Lock key accidentally. Here's how you can disable the caps lock key by going to the system preferences for your keyboard:

Click on Modifier Keys...:

and then select No Action for the Caps Lock key!

Note that if you have a separate keyboard and monitor hooked up to your laptop, which I highly recommend, you first need to select the keyboard you want to change.

I'll share my favorite tool for taking screen shots and annotating them as above in a later post.

Got a favorite tech tip (on any device) you want to share?

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Tech Tips

Here's another great Tech Tip!

Did you know you can create a custom Shuffle station in Pandora where you can pick which of your stations are included in the shuffle??? Finding this has made my day! While I love Pandora, I like an eclectic mix of music.The interface seems pretty clear on the Pandora web page, but it's completely hidden on the pandora app (at least in IOS). But it works just fine if you know the secret trick! Here it is....

1) When you are in the Pandora app, bring up the station list:
    Name:  P1.png
Views: 1413
Size:  142.8 KB

2) Here's the trick: Swipe left on the Shuffle row. That brings up the secret pencil!

Name:  p2.png
Views: 1293
Size:  163.7 KB

3) Tap the pencil to bring up a list of your stations where you can select which should be included in the shuffle !

Name:  p3.png
Views: 1261
Size:  138.9 KB

4) Click Save and Enjoy!

Be sure to click Gratitude if that just made your day!

AND... Got a favorite Tech Tip to share with us?
    Last edited by Barry; 01-10-2017 at 08:47 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    podfish

Re: Tech Tips

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Here's another great Tech Tip!....The interface seems pretty clear on the Pandora web page, but it's completely hidden on the pandora app (at least in IOS). But it works just fine if you know the secret trick!
    we're back to the magic days of Unix Wizards, who know the special incantation. Except that's unfair to Unix - they had manpages. What is it with the lack of documentation for phone apps?? It's not fair to make users discover and promote features as the only way to spread knowledge. Though I guess kids these days enjoy the hunt?? allright, you guys can come back and play on my lawn. I can't stop you.