Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Going over-time when commenting at public meetings

As someone who has been speaking at Public Comment for the last decade, in several City, County, and State Public meetings; this important use of free speech is monumentally important to me. It allows all of us to be lobbyist; to counter balance the well paid professional ones everywhere, who are working against our best interest much of the time.

Because I was assaulted by a Deputy Sheriff, during public comment at a SC BOS meeting, for the "crime" of going over 3 minutes (at a time when I was recovering from whiplash); I really pay attention to what happens when a person goes past their allotted time. I saw Magic get arrested there for simply trying to demonstrate where she thought the podium should face.

It makes me sick to witness and experience the unjustified abuse of power by Efren Carrillo, Shirley Zane and the Deputies. The Previous BOS did not use their power this way when a special interest group brought their protest inside the Board's chambers one day, and disrupted the meeting to the point where no one could speak, and their conduct became scary as they tried to shove into the beyond capacity room.

At the Thursday CVS/Chase meeting, the majority of folks were allowed to finish making their points when the buzzer announced their 3 minutes were up. The majority of speakers went beyond 3 minutes. I was about the only one not allowed this option; this happens a lot.

It was not the audience's place to boo her away; it was the Mayor's job to manage the meeting. Yes she went longer than was OK; but her message was important; the united spirit she was inviting was killed by many so called progressive people.

Magic had her comments written, demonstrating she was well prepared. Her only problem was having too much to say; I would have been happy to use my time to read her final paragraph; but it didn't happen that way. Still, going over time did not warrant how she was treated, in my opinion.

I was also very dismayed to hear negative comments about the speakers from audience members during the speaker's time. This was rude to everyone; not only for not listening, but making it hard for the rest of us to hear.

I was surprised to find the mean spirited remarks came not from the pro CVS/Chase audience members; but the other side, and the remarks were directed at speakers on their own side of the issue!

When I was assaulted by the Deputy, I was not agitating, disrespectful, or even angry. In fact I was connecting so passionately with one of the Board of Supervisors, he looked near tears. All I wanted was a short moment to conclude as I was walking away from the podium. I gave the Deputy no reason to throw me into the door; he could have waited until I was in the hall to speak to me reasonably.

I have never gotten an apology; and I had to pay for my own medical costs, because I was not aware you have to file a complaint within 6 months in order to make a claim. Knowing how they do not investigate complaints, I thought it was a waste of time; and I'd already spoken with the Deputy's Supervisor about the incident.

Waiting a few more seconds for Magic to finish, would have taken less effort than booing her off. What if it had been you pouring your heart and soul into something so important, then having those on the same side shoving you away with cruel words and actions?

When the leader of a meeting sets a standard of letting people finish their thoughts after 3 minutes, this standard should be kept for everyone, not just some. If he had cut everyone off at 3 minutes, that would have been the standard to keep. He was arbitrary; that's what I'm not OK with. Along with the way he would not listen to my comments to him during a break, about how he handled it with me.

Those of you who were there, constantly chatting, and making viscous remarks as school kids do; I hope you will refrain from getting defensive, and really reflect on your conduct. Next time, imagine the TV camera and mic are on you the whole meeting. Would you want the world to witness those kind of actions? Would you like to be treated the same way you treat others, no matter what side of the issues you are all on?

During this time of deep grief; I am much more sensitive than usual; but I am not defeated. Please don't put me down, or behave disrespectfully, as I do my best to encourage a thriving community, country and planet. I'll be sure not to boo you. Even when I strongly disagree; I respect your right to express your opinion, even if goes a little over 3 minutes.

BTW, at that meeting, I made sure to speak to Pauline Pellini. I let her know that I did not fault her for her choice to take the best offer they received for their property. I faulted myself for not doing all I could to find a better suited, and still profitable proposal.

It's so easy to just protest what you are against; it takes more work and imagination to create a viable alternative. If everyone in that room had really listened to Magic, and used their power, and resources to create a better development for that corner of our unique town, we'd all be better off.

If the Pellini family are going to be compelled to look for a better offer, we all need to give them good reasons to want to. Being disrespectful will only drive them away from that.

The reputation Sebastopol has, and the recent article about this county being high ranking on tolerance, still has far to go to be proven.

Will you all commit to improving how we relate, and show respect for each other? I have a long way to go on this as well; still a work in progress, but not giving up.

Bless us all,

Colleen Fernald

Candidate for PEACE!
    Sebastopol City Council

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hollyanna: View Post
    We don’t advance our cause when we are ill prepared or discourteous. For the most part, the people who spoke in support of rejecting Armstrong’s appeal at last week’s hearings presented themselves well and were polite to those who didn’t share their point of view, but I was embarrassed when members of our “side” insisted on going overtime. Unless there are special circumstances (audience interruption, equipment malfunctions, a disability that slows the speaker down, etc.), none of us (on either side) are entitled to extra time.

I’m sure that the speakers didn’t feel this way, but when a person insists on extra time, it’s as if they’re saying, “The rules don’t apply to me. I am more important than you are, and what I have to say is more valuable than what you have to say.” It’s really unfortunate when people who have some great points dilute them (and lose the audience) by ending their presentation with a squabble over about being allotted extra time.

Each speaker gets 3 minutes to make a case. It’s not like we don’t know this going in. If this is something that we really care about, we should be willing to put in a little extra effort to prepare, practice, and have one short, powerful closing remark ready to use in case time runs out, so at least the main points will have been made. I realize that we’re passionate about this and passion is great, but I’d like to suggest that we don’t let it get in the way of presenting reasoned, thoughtful and concise arguments. We’d be taken a lot more seriously.
    Last edited by Peace Voyager; 07-25-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: