Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    jesswolfe

How to shoo away raccoon mom?

I have a friend who has a feral cat colony (about 15 cats?) that he feeds. The problem is that they now have a raccoon mom who is showing up during feeding time. When they shoo away the raccoon they also end up scaring the cats who are more shy, so they don't get to eat.

Does anyone have ideas of how they can get rid of the momma raccoon? She is coming out in the daytime and is very blatant about wanting food. They think she has about 6 kits. They are in the east bay area and they will likely not get help from animal control.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jess Wolfe
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    mamaj

Re: How to shoo away raccoon mom?

There are products you can buy on line or maybe in your local hardware store.if you lived in the Sebastopol area,I would tell you to go to Sebastopol Hardware because that's where I have found it.What I bought was a product that was a powerful mix of pepper and I think it had fox urine or mountain lion.It is non-toxic and skunks and racoons ,possums hate it.We had a skunk issue and it really helped. Put it where the racoons hang out more than the cats.And of course NEVER put any food outside at night.......that always works !

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    edie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mamaj: View Post
    There are products you can buy on line or maybe in your local hardware store.if you lived in the Sebastopol area,I would tell you to go to Sebastopol Hardware because that's where I have found it.What I bought was a product that was a powerful mix of pepper and I think it had fox urine or mountain lion.It is non-toxic and skunks and racoons ,possums hate it.We had a skunk issue and it really helped. Put it where the racoons hang out more than the cats.And of course NEVER put any food outside at night.......that always works !
    "Shake-Away" is a repellent to keep certain animals away, its coyote urine powder and other ingredients. It works for raccoons too, but you have to use it where ever you do not want them and often and it is not cheap. The cats might stay away too???

I would feed the cats at day time and get all the food inside before it gets dark. The cats will adjust. The raccoons will come anyway but the cats will be fed. I never saw raccoons at daytime.

I have a big raccoon problem, so big that I decided not to plant anything anymore the next year.*I have many and very healthy earthworms and raccoons seem to love them. Next year my yard will be dry and "dead" no more homegrown veggies anymore. I am tired of looking at a dug up destroyed yard.*

I could buy cages to relocate them- that would be an ongoing job because if one is gone an other moves into the territory. I also would have to relocate them far, far away otherwise they find their way back home.

I wished my neighborhood could get some help with this problem! Animal control does not do a thing. Anybody out there who wants them? As a pet? Shoot them? Eat them? Make hats out of them like in the old days?

Don't get me wrong! They are sooo cute- I love them but I would love them even more if they would stay away and I could enjoy my yard and homegrown veggies.... and yes, they clime over fences and destroy screen doors to get food from the kitchen... it happened.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED RACCOONS... thank you.

5. TopTop #4
    BGIRL24

Dont Buy the Products to Ward off Raccoons or Opposums. They are Made with Coyote Urine which also Wards off Cats.

I Also, have a Feral Cat Colony & Raccoon Issues. I Started Feeding in the Morning.

This is when Cats are Out and Active, but No Raccoon's Are. Switching the Feeding Schedule is the Only Way I Have Found that Actually Works.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    I have a friend who has a feral cat colony (about 15 cats?) that he feeds. The problem is that they now have a raccoon mom who is showing up during feeding time. When they shoo away the raccoon they also end up scaring the cats who are more shy, so they don't get to eat.

Does anyone have ideas of how they can get rid of the momma raccoon? She is coming out in the daytime and is very blatant about wanting food. They think she has about 6 kits. They are in the east bay area and they will likely not get help from animal control.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jess Wolfe