Second candidate joins Council race
https://www.sonomawest.com/sonoma_west_times_and_news/news/second-candidate-joins-council-race/article_f3b65428-a50a-11e1-bf6c-001a4bcf887a.html

Kathy Austin
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012
by David Abbott Sonoma West Editor [email protected]

Kathy Austin files initial papers for Sebastopol election

Former Sebastopol Councilmember and Mayor Kathy Austin announced her intention to run for Sebastopol City Council on Tuesday, joining Planning Commissioner Robert Jacob in the race for one of two council seats coming up for re-election in November.

The seats of Mayor Guy Wilson and Councilmember Kathleen Shaffer will be up for grabs this year.

Austin, a local architect, brings a long history in Sebastopol and Sonoma County politics having served on city council from 1996 to 2000 — serving as mayor in 1997 — and on the Planning Commission from 1992 to 1996.

She was also briefly on the Design Review Board in 1992 and was the business representative for the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District’s Advisory Board from 1994-1998 and was Chair in 1998.

As a Planning Commissioner and Councilmember, she participated in the development of the General Plan, the Zoning Ordinance, the Subdivision Ordinance, Downtown Master Plan and the Laguna Park Master Plan.

“I understand these documents and the Design Guidelines very well and want to participate in their updating,” Austin stated. “I will be a calm rational voice for Sebastopol, with a balanced point of view to maintain and enhance our environmental, social, and economic sustainability.”

After leaving office, Austin said she helped originate the idea of a dog park at Ragle Ranch Park and worked six years to see it happen.

Additionally, her work as an architect is visible throughout the community, as she has designed infill projects and historic restorations such as the houses at 506 South Main Street; the remodel of the Garzot Duffield Community Building located in Libby Park; the Woodstone Subdivision, and two Habitat for Humanity homes on Litchfield Avenue as well as the Solar Dragon in Spooner Park at the south entrance to town.

“My career has been spent designing primarily green affordable housing for non-profit and private developers. I’ve taught classes on Sustainable Design and lectured across the country on Green Building,” Austin stated in a press release announcing her candidacy.

The first step was for Austin to file a candidate intention statement and once she raises $1,000 or more, she will be required to open an official account.

The official filing period opens on July 16 and closes Aug. 10, unless one or both of the incumbents decides not to run, which would give potential candidates an additional five days to file.