By Kristi Bowman

The other day my partner says, “I’m going to get out all my things, go through them, and get rid of a bunch o’ stuff.” No doubt this means I will be tiptoeing around his belongings for a few days as he splays them out and sorts through them, but I encourage this process. We often have so much “stuff” we no longer need, and spring is a perfect time to release it!

The energy of spring beckons us to let go of more than just old clothes, tools or books. We are entering a season of tremendous opening and growth, and we often need to create the space in order to bloom to our fullest. Below are a few ways in which we can engage in a little spring cleaning for the soul.

Let Go of the “Heavy” Emotions – We all at one time or another experience feelings of anger, sadness, fear, frustration and resentment. You may have noticed what kind of effects these types of emotions have on us. We feel tired, sluggish, unmotivated, tense, closed off, and like we’re carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. Of course we know there are no “bad” emotions. Rather, what lies before us are choices. You might consider these questions:
  • Do I wish to continue carrying around this heaviness?
  • Can I give myself permission to be happy again?
  • Will I talk honestly with the person with whom I am angry and clear the air?
We always have the opportunity, right here, right now, to release the emotions that weigh us down, and enjoy a sense of lightness, openness and vibrancy once again!

Release Relationship Patterns That No Longer Serve – As we dig through our inner closets, we might find that we can release old, habitual patterns in relationships. Whether we are starting a new relationship, been with a partner for 20 years, or are happily single, we can explore some ways of relating that may prevent our growth. Some questions around relationships you might ponder:
  • Do I find myself not communicating openly in order to avoid conflict?
  • Do I steer clear of getting close to someone for fear of being hurt, or because relationships are “too much work”?
  • Do I expect my partner to be a mind-reader?
  • Do I find myself falling into the role of “controller” or “people-pleaser”?
  • Do I respect that my partner is an individual, free to travel his or her own journey?

We sometimes feel our “problems” in relationships stem from the other person, but as we do some self-inquiry and explore more deeply our own patterns and behavior, we may find “stuff” we can dispose of that hinder our development and dampen our happiness.

Release Ideas about Work & Money That Do Not Serve Our Highest Good – We might find a need to release an old way of working. Perhaps we find ourselves sacrificing our health and well-being or quality family time in order to keep the business running. The more we continue to open, the more we will find creative solutions to our challenging circumstances, business or otherwise. As quantum physics has exemplified, we live in a state of infinite possibilities. We are limited only by ourselves, by how we perceive the situation. If you find yourself continually under a lot of stress or feel like you’ve been neglecting your health or family, allow yourself to consider some alternative ways of working and being. An appropriate work-life balance is vital for our health and happiness.

Or maybe we need to release those hang-ups around money. In my work I’ve observed there is often an imbalance in our views around money. I have especially seen this in the current, budding, more holistic-minded generation. It seems we’ve left behind the old paradigm which holds the belief that accumulating a lot of money is one of the main goals in life and it’s necessary for happiness. But we can also swing too far on the other side of that paradigm – believing that all those who have money are slaves to their ego needs or abusers of power. Or there is the belief that we are somehow undeserving of receiving money, because we’ve erroneously attached it to our self worth. These beliefs can close us off to abundance in its many forms.

It feels important to keep in mind that money is a form of energy, and energy flows. Having a more balanced view of money – and noticing our feelings and relationship to the energy we give out and the energy we accept in – is a good place to start. My fellow holistic practitioners, as we share our services, let’s keep the door open for others to see our value and to show love and appreciation for our offerings!

As we transition to the energy of spring, you might find it beneficial to spend a few moments in a quiet room, take some deep breaths, close your eyes, allow the mind to grow quiet, and ask yourself this one last question: What do I want to release this season? Listen for the answer……..it will come. Your deepest knowing is in alignment with your best interests. Let your inner wisdom share its voice. Then follow through, and release it! It feels so good!

Free yourself to enjoy the season of growth! Allow yourself to beautifully unfold, like the flowers opening to the sun!

Kristi Bowman is the author of Journey to One: A Woman's Story of Emotional Healing and Spiritual Awakening. She is an Integrative Wellness Coach & Consultant, passionate Yogini, and the Co-Founder of the Center for Sacred Movement in Sonoma County. Please visit www.sacredmovement.org for more info.