Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    La.Sereniti

MEDICAL STUDENT - SEEKING <ANY> TEMPORARY WORK OR DONATIONS (Unusual Situation Please Read

A friend of mine helped me this past month in a very significant way during the most vulnerable time in my life.

I want to find a way to help him with a need he has. He went to Mardi Gras last month and became the designated driver of the group's rental car. He was not insured to drive it and got into an accident that will cost $5000.

He doesn't have that and needs work to pay it off. He just finished taking the test for the medical board exam last month. It is his desire to do general surgery and is interviewing for observation work which is a 6 month requirement and UNPAID.

Type of work sought could be anything that requires common sense, he learns quickly and is easy to talk with. He is strong, smart, reliable, and kind. Length of work term could be a day or a month... whatever time it will be, you will be glad to have spent that time with him.

Helping each other in times of joy and in times of need is what makes life so great. In my case, I became severely disabled in the past few months. I cannot walk, sit or stand. Being disabled causes challenges with affordable housing. I undertook the enormous challenge of seeking an appropriate RV to live in full time. With help from loved ones and a few people I just met, I was able to purchase a F350 diesel truck and a 36 foot trailer with 3 slides.

I had been on the east coast for medical care and that is where I found the RV. He undertook the challenge of driving this truck and trailer across the entire United States for me. I can't even drive myself to the grocery store right now. I have been so blessed by his kindness. He cooks for me, carries things around and anticipates my needs with the incredible limitations I face. He has lifted my spirits with his smile and attitude toward life. He has been such a pleasure to spend time time with and helps me when I can't help myself.

I will be having back surgery soon and hopefully will regain my independence again. This has been a very difficult time in my life. My legs have massively atrophied and as a former athlete this is something that is hard to witness in my body.

Anyhow without, him I don't know what I would do. No words will ever be able to express my gratitude. All I can do is to try to find ways to love him and repay the kindness.

If you have any general labor needs so he can pay for the damage caused in the auto accident I would be very grateful. SECONDARILY, if you or someone you know does general surgery, he would like to network and discuss opportunities to fulfill his observation licensing requirements.

His name is Saif, hia email is (removed for privacy purposes).

Also, if you are moved by this sitation and wish to donate, this is another opportunity in which you could help and I would be very grateful

Please use this PayPal link.

Thank you very much for your consideration and any kindness offered.
    Sereniti
    Last edited by Barry; 08-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

Re: MEDICAL STUDENT - SEEKING <ANY> TEMPORARY WORK OR DONATIONS (Unusual Situation Please

Is this a new iteration of the "Nigerian letter"?

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    La.Sereniti

Re: MEDICAL STUDENT - SEEKING <ANY> TEMPORARY WORK OR DONATIONS (Unusual Situation Please

I've already reviewed this letter with Barry for his support and suggestions.

You really hurt my feelings this morning with your response. This is a very real situation with someone who is required to work for FREE for the next 6 months full time and has a serious debt to repay. He is asking for part time work, not handouts. However some people can spare a few bucks because they are more fortunate than most. I'm doing the best I can to help someone who deserves it.

I would suggest a little more compassion and empathy before sending an unkind response to a situation such as described my post.

Thanks,
    Serenit

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Larry Robinson: View Post
    Is this a new iteration of the "Nigerian letter"?

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

Your letter has indeed all the signs of a scam. It is full of fantastic tales and factual oddities.

To give one example. There is no such a thing as a six months period of unpaid observation of general surgery (= surgery of the abdominal organs). Surgeons in training are called residents. The residency lasts at least a year, it is usually paid and it certainly is not just observation: "See one, Do one, Teach one."

Maybe you are part of the scam (you seemed to have joined this BB just recently); maybe you are scammed yourself.

Larry has empathy (reads the situation correctly) but probably no compassion because the story is tall and it is not clear what real situation we can be compassionate about.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I believe this post to not be a scam. While I have not met Kimberly (Serenti), I have been in direct touch with her. Her account was established several months ago (at least) but she recently changed usernames due to some mix-up. She has a 707 area code phone number and the assistance requested is to hire somebody local to do work, not to send money. All of which ring true to me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Your letter has indeed all the signs of a scam. It is full of fantastic tales and factual oddities.

To give one example. There is no such a thing as a six months period of unpaid observation of general surgery (= surgery of the abdominal organs). Surgeons in training are called residents. The residency last at least a year, it is usually paid and it certainly is not just observation: "See one, Do one, Teach one."

Maybe you are part of the scam (you seemed to have joined this BB just recently); maybe you are scammed yourself.

Larry has empathy (reads the situation correctly) but probably no compassion because the story is tall and it is not clear what real situation we can be compassionate about.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    La.Sereniti

NOTHING of this story is fabricated. What do you want my medical records? A letter from the lawyer fighting with the car rental company? A copy of my friend's educational records?

I don't know how medical licensing works in the US and it is quite possible that he may have different requirements than most because his medical degree came from outside the US. He just finished his board exams last month and is working at UCSF today (UNPAID), so he is not available for comment at the moment.

This situation is very real. I have interacted with Barry several times. He was involved in the nuking of my previous profile because I lost the domain it was associated with. Contact me offline if you want to know more. This certainly wasn't the reaction I was expecting because I am a painfully honest person. It isn't always easy to tell the truth.... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And I would have never asked for help or work for him, if I knew he might be subjected to this. He is hurting enough over this terrible mistake and doesn't even like to talk about it.

~* KC
    La Sereniti

To give one example. There is no such a thing as a six months period of unpaid observation of general surgery (= surgery of the abdominal organs). Surgeons in training are called residents. The residency last at least a year, it is usually paid and it certainly is not just observation: "See one, Do one, Teach one."

Last edited by Barry; 08-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.

11. TopTop #7
    La.Sereniti

Thanks for saying SOMETHING is response to this Barry. I live off of Mill Station Road and 116. However for medical reasons I am staying in the central bay area for another week before returning. (more medical resources and support available here)

And yes I have a 707 number, but I pay by the minute. The other phone has unlimited minutes, thus I use it more often.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I believe this post to not be a scam. While I have not met Kimberly (Serenti), I have been in direct touch with her. Her account was established several months ago (at least) but she recently changed usernames due to some mix-up. She has a 707 area code phone number and the assistance requested is to hire somebody local to do work, not to send money. All of which ring true to me.

12. TopTop #8
    Zeno Swijtink

The posting included a request to send money. Could you look into this a bit more?

13. TopTop #9
    La.Sereniti

OK fine Zeno! Try to understand if someone is already working full time for free, earning money is very difficult. Some people have no choice. We did the math... It is a ridiculous amount of time to earn the full sum requested by the insurance company, meanwhile he has to keep a roof over his head, buy food, etc work for free and find a way to pay this debt. ADDITIONALLY he has to submit applications for residency in the next 3 months and most docs spend about $6,000 on application fees. ---- He is super stressed out!!

My friend could lay low and tell the insurance company he is just a poor student, and thus will never pay it. Many people would choose that. He can't. It is not in his ethics to do so and doesn't want to clutter his conscience with this hanging over his head.

Barry.... what would you like from me? A letter from a the lawyer? I'm an open book and will offer any proof you desire. I will not post personal info on the site, but am willing to provide any proof desired. I will be back around March 31st, if you'd like to meet, I'd be delighted!

The posting included a request to send money. Could you look into this a bit more?

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #10
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

Sereniti,
    I do apologize for hurting your feelings and questioning the veracity of your story. I hope everything works out well for your friend.
    Larry

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I spoke with Kimberly via skype just now. Sorry about the low volume, but you should be able to hear it:

Here's a photo of her and her friend:

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #12
    La.Sereniti

Thank you so much for talking with me today Barry. It was truly a pleasure!

I wrote a webpage that explains the story and embedded your video in it.
    https://snapndrop.com/love2.htm

I had a little trouble with your link (needed to download something?) Here is the video link without extra code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7Pj5jOZ9E

With enormous gratitude,
    Kimberly

20. TopTop #13
    daynurse

Maybe Kimberly (Serenti) is genuine, but the number she refers us to is not.
    I paid the two bucks and traced that number.
    Kimberly wrote: "His name is Saif, his email is sahmd9 at gmail dot com."
    White Pages Reverse Look-up says that phone belongs to "white pages Ammar Feroz Las Vegas NV "
    Something is amiss.

Peggy

Last edited by Barry; 08-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.

21. TopTop #14
    typewriter

If his name were not Saif and instead a more anglo sounding name I wonder if the replies to this post would be quite so suspicious in nature? If I'm wrong I'll be heartened. Unfortunately, I believe that there's a racist component to the distrust (whether scam or not--though really, it seems the best thing to do if one thinks it's a scam is to not contribute money or offer a job).
    Last edited by Barry; 03-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #15
    La.Sereniti

Oh Geez!!!!! Really???? I'm sorry you wasted your 2 bucks and your time to trace the number.

Saif is on a friends and family plan. Big surprise being on a student budget. His family is from Mysore, India. His father was a doctor for the Red Cross and consulted to the World Health Organization. He has lived in many different countries as a result and gets along with people from all backgrounds. He is one of the most trustworthy people I know.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by daynurse: View Post
    Maybe Kimberly (Sereniti) is genuine, but the number she refers us to is not.

I paid the two bucks and traced that number.

Kimberly wrote: "His name is Saif, his phone number is 7(oh)2-496-9418 and email is sahmd9 at g-mail dot com."

White Pages Reverse Look-up says that phone belongs to "white pages Ammar Feroz Las Vegas NV "

Something is amiss.

Peggy

24. TopTop #16
    La.Sereniti

I nearly cried reading by what you said, but I think you are right. He clearly is from another culture and there is so much that I love about him.... besides being an incredibly fabulous cook. I would happily accept taking his last name, not for what society thinks of it, but what I think of him!

He is an individual that is unique, like each and every one of us. He does not accept the Muslim religion which saddens his parents. However he is a critical thinker and like anything, learns/accepts what is useful and rejects what is not.

He is raised with honor and values and a certain sense of depth that I feel many American's lack. Unfortunately we are a busy, materialistic society which is heavily influenced by Hollywood. (Not to derail the topic, but it interests me greatly to see how the next 2 generations will influence societal norms now that the media is decentralized and the 99% has big challenges ahead.)

Thank you for making clear what was left to be assumed by some. Chose to help or not... but if you do, you will make a wonderful friend worth knowing.

Thanks for your consideration.
    La Sereniti

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    If his name were not Saif and instead a more anglo sounding name I wonder if the replies to this post would be quite so suspicious in nature? If I'm wrong I'll be heartened. Unfortunately, I believe that there's a racist component to the distrust (whether scam or not--though really, it seems the best thing to do if one thinks it's a scam is to not contribute money or offer a job).

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #17
    Shandi

(Kimberly has asked me to edit the state where she was for back treatment; it was Georgia, not Chicago.) She also mentioned that I might want to shorten my response, but I don't know where to begin. If it's too long for you to read, please just scroll to the part where I list things I have for sale, with net proceeds going to Saif.

I must share my experience with Serenity (Kimberly) over the past few months. Although we haven't met in person, we've been in communication during the time she was in Georgia getting treatment for back pain. Our common denominator is PAIN. I also have difficulty standing or sitting for very long, but I've progressed beyond where I was, after getting out of a highly stressful living situation, 2 years ago. Now, that I'm faced with another shared living situation in which the landlady/roommate has become a serious threat to my wellness, my pain is increasing. (see my previous post "Help, anyone have experience with landlady/roommate....going in room and stealing?" The connection of stress to (physical/mental/emotional pain has become obvious to me.

Even though she herself was experiencing extreme pain, she continued to reach out to give me emotional support, and recently said that she felt sorry that she wasn't able to give me refuge from my present situation.

I feel her compassionate heart, and the connection of a kindred spirit. I'm so sorry that she and her wonderful caregiver are dealing with this situation, which is something that I'm wondering if a few of us have experienced. Anyone on this board driven a rental care when we were not on the insurance? I have. Has anyone driven their own car, with expired insurance/registration (due to lack of money) and gotten into an accident, or received a ticket which you had no means to pay? Pretty scary stuff....

I don't know what happens to those who have this experience, besides getting a hefty fine, loss of license, and or community service. I do know that stress is increased, and that affects our other functions of mind, body, and spirit.

I know that we as a community have joined together to help other members in distress, with financial needs. We've created fundraisers or made donations to get them through a difficult time. Some members are more financially able than others, as we can see from their posts to sell expensive items.

I've recently donated many items to the StrayPetNetwork fundraisers (Bake Sale/Yard Sale) so I don't have much to sell to help with this.

I have 2 items that are up for sale and one service item, and whatever I get for these, I will donate the entire amount to this cause:

1. Tony Little zero gravity recliner with heat and full body massage. This model has been discontinued,
    and the newer one is $400. I'd like to get $200 obo. It's in perfect condition, used only 6 months. I
    enjoyed it for awhile until I couldn't sit in the living room because my landlady wouldn't put the heat
    on, and I had to spend most of my time in my room, where there's no space for it.

2. North States Supergate (for babies or pets) Pressure mount, with clear panels framed in light wood.
    I bought this to keep my kitty safe from the resident dog who chases her. Over the past year, they've
    become "distant" friends. I'm asking $30 for this.

3. Portrait session $150 (can be for people, pets, art, or products)

If you would like to help, please consider anything that you might be willing to give (sell) to contribute,
    to help Saif. As I pack, I'm checking to see if I might have anything else.

Another way to help is to let the community know what you need, and would be willing to purchase as a
    donation.

Also, if you have items that you want to sell on Ebay, I'm willing to take the pictures and do the posting.
    You may want to contribute the full or partial amount of the sale. Let me know what you have, and what you think the value is.

Think about what you need help with that could provide some work for Saif. Wouldn't we want to support someone in desperate need, rather than just a name in a phone book?

Again, I ask, as I have before, for other members in need, please show up as the "compassionate, conscious community" I believe in, and have recently experienced with my own needs. This is part of the beauty of community, and we never know when we may be asking for compassion.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by La.Sereniti: View Post
    A friend of mine helped me this past month in a very significant way during the most vulnerable time in my life.

I want to find a way to help him with a need he has. He went to Mardi Gras last month and became the designated driver of the group's rental car. He was not insured to drive it and got into an accident that will cost $5000.

He doesn't have that and needs work to pay it off. He just finished taking the test for the medical board exam last month. It is his desire to do general surgery and is interviewing for observation work which is a 6 month requirement and UNPAID.

Type of work sought could be anything that requires common sense, he learns quickly and is easy to talk with. He is strong, smart, reliable, and kind. Length of work term could be a day or a month... whatever time it will be, you will be glad to have spent that time with him.

Helping each other in times of joy and in times of need is what makes life so great. In my case, I became severely disabled in the past few months. I cannot walk, sit or stand. Being disabled causes challenges with affordable housing. I undertook the enormous challenge of seeking an appropriate RV to live in full time. With help from loved ones and a few people I just met, I was able to purchase a F350 diesel truck and a 36 foot trailer with 3 slides.

I had been on the east coast for medical care and that is where I found the RV. He undertook the challenge of driving this truck and trailer across the entire United States for me. I can't even drive myself to the grocery store right now. I have been so blessed by his kindness. He cooks for me, carries things around and anticipates my needs with the incredible limitations I face. He has lifted my spirits with his smile and attitude toward life. He has been such a pleasure to spend time time with and helps me when I can't help myself.

I will be having back surgery soon and hopefully will regain my independence again. This has been a very difficult time in my life. My legs have massively atrophied and as a former athlete this is something that is hard to witness in my body.

Anyhow without, him I don't know what I would do. No words will ever be able to express my gratitude. All I can do is to try to find ways to love him and repay the kindness.

If you have any general labor needs so he can pay for the damage caused in the auto accident I would be very grateful. SECONDARILY, if you or someone you know does general surgery, he would like to network and discuss opportunities to fulfill his observation licensing requirements.

His name is Saif, his phone number is 7(oh)2-496-9418 and email is sahmd9 at gmail dot com.

Also, if you are moved by this sitation and wish to donate, this is another opportunity in which you could help and I would be very grateful

Please use this PayPal link.

Thank you very much for your consideration and any kindness offered.
    Sereniti
    Last edited by Shandi; 03-21-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: correction

27. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

28. TopTop #18
    La.Sereniti

Shandi ~ your kindness overwhelms me. We indeed are very much kindred spirits in the challenges we face. I fought hard to create my current situation which is a 37 foot, 3 slide rv which is now my full time home. Saif drove it across the US for me; helping make that dream come true.

As an older person with physical limitations, I feel your frustration with obtaining decent housing. Naturally you end up getting the less desirable housing, not because of who you are (which to me is beautiful), but rather because people choose roommates that are able bodied and work outside the home or go to school. Conversation about this should continue in the other thread.... and I want to see you find a home where you can be happy and thrive.

It is very generous of you to offer to sell some of your possessions to help with Saif's situation. Having very little means yourself..... it overwhelms me!

Saif just called me on his lunch break and I discussed what happened with this thread. He has logged on and is now reading what has occurred.

I love the idea of fundraising by selling items that are no longer needed. Thank you for the idea. I'm afraid to take on the task due to my physical limitations. It would be easier if I had help. I'm at Mill Station and 116. I'll be back at the end of the month.

PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ITEMS TO DONATE OR WOULD LIKE TO HELP WITH A GARAGE SALE WHICH WE WILL PROBABLY HOLD SOMETIME AT THE END OF APRIL.

(((((HUGS TO EVERYONE PARTICIPATING IN CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY))))))

And thank you Barry for making it possible!!

~~La Sereniti~~

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    (Kimberly has asked me to edit the where she was for back treatment; it was Georgia, not Chicago.) She also mentioned that I might want to shorten my response, but I don't know where to begin. If it's too long for you to read, please just scroll to the part where I list things I have for sale, with net proceeds going to Saif......

29. TopTop #19
    Shandi

I take great delight in "overwhelming with kindness", and wish that kindness was so common, that it would be part of our daily lives to perform "random acts of kindness". Fortunately, I haven't been taken in by online scams as some people have, but I've fallen prey to people who wear "masks of kindness", like my landlady/roommate. I was desperate to get out of an even worse situation, and it took me a year to find this place because of my physical needs.

I just realized that property owners usually check references, which makes sense, but I'm thinking that I should check references on my next roommate. Although, I know that people are very guarded in what they'll say about someone because of liability. I was thinking that checking a FB page, or Wacco comments could be helpful if they were members of this board. I just want to find a way to protect myself as much as possible next time around.

I can help some with the garage sale, and as the time gets closer, I'm hoping that we'll be "overwhelmed"
    with kind donations from this conscious community. I know someone with a truck who could help.

I will offer another service once I'm settled in my next sanctuary. Until then, it will be a mystery .

Quote Posted in reply to the post by La.Sereniti: View Post
    Shandi ~ your kindness overwhelms me.

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #20
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I take great delight in "overwhelming with kindness", and wish that kindness was so common, that it would be part of our daily lives to perform "random acts of kindness".
    You walk it like you talk it, Sandy. Overwhelming people with kindness (in a non-codependent way) is a good thing! That's one of the (few?) things the Boy Scouts got right, with their dictum "Do a good turn daily". We tend to forget that doing so nourishes the one who is being kind, perhaps as much as or more than it helps the person we're kind to. If we keep that in mind, we will be kinder, more often. That's enlightened self-interest. Thanks for the reminder, Sandy.

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

33. TopTop #21
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    ...Unfortunately, I believe that there's a racist component to the distrust...
    I recognize that that's very plausible, but from the evidence of what's been said on this thread I see no justification to assert it as a fact or even a likelihood.

Quote (...it seems the best thing to do if one thinks it's a scam is to not contribute money or offer a job).
    You left out an important responsibility: to warn the community, keeping in mind that we mustn't accuse people of anything bad in the absence of pretty good evidence. Phrasing our suspicions as anything from a slight possibility to a near-certainty is appropriate only insofar as the evidence is compelling. The same principle which would, I think, require you to state your suspicion of racism in this situation less strongly than you did also suggests that people should share their suspicions about this possible scam as just that, a possibility, without actually accusing anyone of anything. IIRC, that's what's happened on this thread, or did someone get too harsh?

34. TopTop #22
    La.Sereniti

As the initiator of this thread, I must follow it to it's conclusion. I did not anticipate the way this thread unfolded at all. Yes it is an incredible story... and yet there is so much more to it that makes it even more incredible.

I have surrendered myself to life as it unfolds and no longer try to be the type A person that controls everything and makes it happen at any price. I accept the concerns and viewpoints expressed. I think for all involved, doubts have been removed as to the validity of the situation and then it was taken even a step further to bring up POTENTIAL bias that one may feel toward a "foreigner."

Nothing can remove the fact that one may consider him that from a legal perspective, but he has been a part of the American culture on and off since childhood. Our ways of life and our culture is just as much a part of him as it is with myself and most people reading this.

He brings spice and interest to the people around him and he has a beautiful smile that warms my heart. I'm sure that as he reads all of what has been brought up in this thread; it will bring up stuff for him. Assimilating to another culture is hard work and no one can take that journey for us. I did it myself. I got an MBA in France, worked for a prestigious consulting firm and went to engineering school... in French. Freaking HARD, HARD WORK!

I admire him for his courage to try to apply his skills in America after being raised in several different countries. I know people make assumptions about intelligence right off the bat if you don't speak their tongue. It happened to me. It became a joke later with the offending parties, but that is the truth. Happens all the time.

So I'm not going to complain about those that chose to prejudge someone based on name, race, skin color. I just know that those that do are missing out on learning about another culture and another perspective.... Some of the very qualities that make life so interesting to be a part of.

I think I have said enough. I chose not to consider comments here harsh, but rather honest. Nearly all that have offended apologized. I like honesty, keeping integrity in the community and participating. They have my respect as valid contributors.

I just hope that Saif can benefit from obtaining part time work or other means to deal with the auto accident debt and receive networking opportunities with general surgeons in Marin and Sonoma County.

If any of that happens, then I will be very happy. That was the goal.
    ~~La Sereniti~~

I wrote a webpage that explains some of the story and embedded the video Barry made for us in it.
    https://snapndrop.com/love2.htm
    Last edited by Barry; 08-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.

35. Gratitude expressed by: