Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  • Thread Tools
  1. TopTop #31
    DynamicBalance's Avatar
    DynamicBalance
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Quote kamal wrote: View Post

    Fact: The RDA for protein is 0.8grams for every 1000gram (1kilogram) of body weight.
    This is a true statement, although I would like to note that RDAs fail to take into account the variations in nutrient needs between individuals.

    Fact: Most people on a Standard American Diet (overweight as they are http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm)) still get way more protein they need.
    This is also a true statement. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, excess protein (more than about 30% of calories) is not good for us either. Excess protein in the diet comes mainly in the form of low- or non-fat dairy products, lean meats, egg whites, protein powders, and processed foods made from isolated proteins. A person eating whole foods in their natural state should not be at risk for protein excess.

    Fact: Kwashiorkor, the official name for protein deficiency, is unheard of the U.S.
    Kwashiorkor is not the official name for protein deficiency. It is a disease that is caused in part by protein deficiency, but there is evidence that other micronutrient deficiencies and gut flora imbalance may play a substantial role as well. Protein deficiency by itself will not produce kwashiorkor. There are other kinds of protein deficiency, including marasmus, which presents with different symptoms than kwashiorkor. It is true that kwashiorkor is not a problem in the U.S., probably because the vast majority of people here have complete protein available to them. Most vegetarians here eat eggs, dairy, or both. In countries where kwashiorkor is a problem, staples of the diet are generally cereal grains or starchy tubers, and children are not struck with this condition until they are weaned from their mother's breastmilk, which contains complete protein.

    While kwashiorkor and marasmus represent severe protein deficiencies, there are problems that can occur from more mild protein deficiencies. The same is true for most other nutrients. For example, severe vitamin D depletion causes rickets, but while rickets is rare in the U.S., vitamin D deficiency is not. Subclinical protein deficiencies can cause hormonal disruption and imbalances of neurotransmitters in the brain, among other problems. Protein deficiency can also occur among individuals consuming adequate protein when digestion is impaired, as in low stomach acid.

    Fact: A balanced plant-based diet of whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits will provide more than sufficient amount of protein for anyone, including all the essential amino acids, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. There is no balanced animal products-based diet.
    A well-planned plant-based diet can indeed provide sufficient nutrients, provided that it includes certain nutrient-rich animal products. A vegan diet does not fit that description, and it is literally impossible to obtain enough of certain nutrients from a vegan diet.

    Fact: Whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds contain large amounts of phytic acid, a substance that binds with minerals and prevents them from being absorbed. Unless these foods are treated to reduce the phytic acid, they are not good sources of certain macro and trace minerals.

    Fact: Phytic acid also inhibits protein digestion by its inhibition of the enzyme trypsin.

    Your statement about there being no such thing as a nutritionally-balanced animal based diet is false. There are examples of animal based diets which have sustained excellent health for their adherents. Some of these populations have been extensively researched.

    Fact: All food-borne diseases are of animal origin. Tomatoes and spinach do not inherently have e. coli and salmonella. Those bacteria get on them only from animal sources.
    Fact: A person with normal levels of stomach acid is protected from food poisoning. Bacteria, viruses, and parasites cannot survive the acidity of a healthy stomach. Widespread outbreaks of food-borne illness in this country are evidence for an epidemic of low stomach acid. In addition, they are evidence that our farming and food processing practices are not very wise.

    Fact: Animal foods have been shown to cause heart disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/?s=heart+disease), diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/?s=diabetes) and cancer (http://nutritionfacts.org/?s=cancer). One can bing or google any of the research papers referenced in Dr. Greger’s videos to find the source of his information.
    There are so many simple facts that directly contradict this statement. Heart disease, diabetes, and cancer were all extremely rare 100 years ago, back when Americans ate more saturated fat and cholesterol than they do now. Obesity rates were relatively stable until approximately 1977-78, when they began to increase rapidly. What happened in 1977? The U.S. government began advising Americans on how to eat.

    And Americans have taken their advice. People were eating significantly less beef (-20%), lamb and veal (-60%), eggs (-12%), whole milk (-63%), butter (-8%), and lard (-47%) in 2000 than they were in 1970. Intakes increased in this same time period for legumes (+23%), nuts (+11%), corn products (+178%), poultry (+90%), fish and shellfish (+22%), skim milk (+150%), 1% reduced fat milk (+160%), unsaturated oils (+102%), fresh fruit (+30%), and fresh vegetables (+35%). For fruits, the highest increases came from berries (+109%), fresh grapes (+161%), and cantaloupe (+63%). The vegetables are particularly interesting. Intakes of escarole, romaine, and leaf lettuces skyrocketed (+1300%), along with broccoli (+365%), garlic (+460%), squash (+389%) and bell peppers (+229%).

    These changes are a direct reflection of the dietary advice we've been given. And yet, in that same time period, rates of obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease have continued to rise. If saturated fat and cholesterol from animal foods were truly one of the main causes of these diseases, incidences should have dropped, but they have not.

    In addition, studies that claim to show ill health effects from consumption of animal products all suffer from the same fatal flaw. They all use conventional animal products. Animal studies generally use purified laboratory diets (isolated casein for protein, for example, instead of milk or cheese) to make it easier to reproduce results. These foods are not the same nutritionally to the foods I advocate eating, and I'm not surprised that they may be associated with health problems. I do not know of a single study that shows any problem with eating whole naturally-raised animal products.

    Fact: Plant foods will not cause disease but is crucial in preventing them and will reverse those caused by consumption of animal products (provided the animal products are eliminated). See nutritionfacts.org resources above.
    People are eating way more dark leafy salad greens and other colorful vegetables, dramatically reducing their consumption of animal fats and increasing vegetable oils, and eating more grains and legumes. So why are the rates of disease still going up?

    Fact: Animal agriculture is unsustainable. It takes far more resources (fossil fuels, land, water, grains) to feed the same number of people on an animal-based diet than it does to feed the same number of people on a plant-based diet.
    I hear this kind of statement all the time, and it only applies to the industrial model of agriculture. Grass-based farming is a completely different story. Cows should not be eating primarily grain. It is an unnatural diet for them and is definitely unsustainable. It does not take any fossil fuels or grain to raise a cow on grass. Contrast that to the monocultures we use to grow grain, which use obscene amounts of fossil fuels at nearly every step of the process, and which pollute our rivers and oceans with the runoff from synthetic pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers, all of which are derived from fossil fuels. In fact, as Michael Pollan has pointed out, if this form of agriculture were not subsidized by the government, it would be prohibitively expensive to grow grain in this manner because of the tremendous fossil fuel input. Small mixed farms are actually beneficial for the environment, because the manure can be used as fertilizer, eliminating the need for synthetics. The organic matter in the manure adds to the quality of the soil, and manure contains trace minerals that are not added to synthetic fertilizers, which in turn increases the nutritional value of foods grown on that soil.

    Fact: Free range grazing is causing the round-up of wild American horses to be slaughtered for the European meat market. http://www.wildhorsepreservation.org...d-wild-horses/, http://www.ifaw.org/us/news/did-pres...hter-horses-us
    The problem you're describing applies only to "free-range" cattle raised on public land. This is subsidized agriculture. I am personally opposed to subsidies and would never buy meat from a subsidized farmer or encourage anyone else to do so. The farmers and ranchers I support are raising livestock on their own lands. Why buy from out-of-state ranchers when we have so many local people providing for us right here?

    Fact: Over 90% of the big fish pollution has been decimated since the 1950s and the oceanic ecosystem is in danger of complete collapse. http://articles.cnn.com/2003-05-14/t...bers-longlines, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81N09S20120224 (if an organization like the World Bank is saying that we need to protect our oceans can you imagine how dire the situation really must be?)
    Overfishing is definitely a big problem, I agree with you there. As the CNN article mentioned, overfishing became a problem with the rise of industrial fishing. Small-scale, local fishing operations are better stewards of the environment, and we should support these people whenever possible. I encourage people to avoid the large ocean fish (tuna, shark, swordfish, marlin, etc.), both because of the overfishing issue, and also because large fish are high in mercury. Personally, I don't eat much seafood because of radiation concerns, and when I do, I stick to smaller fish and shellfish.

    Fact: Over half the fish sold in stores are mislabeled, meaning endangered fish are been sold as non-endangered ones. I.e. carrying around a “safe” seafood selector card doesn’t help. Isn’t is easier to say that I gave eating all sealife to protect some? http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...ood-fraud.html
    This is another serious problem, and again, I would encourage people to support only local seafood companies that have more accountability to their communities.

    Fact: Over 95% of animal products come from factory farms where animals suffer intensive confinement, physical abuse and other forms of cruelty. I.e. 9 out 10 animal products come from tortured animals.

    Even if you ONLY (meaning you NEVER, EVER eat animals whose welfare during upbringing might be in question) eat the happiest animals (really, isn’t it sadder for a happy animal to die at a fraction of his or her life) and pay through the nose for that privilege, what do you say to those who want to live it up like you but cannot afford a happily raised animal so eating resort to factory farmed animals?
    This misconception, that properly raised animal products are inherently more expensive, is a huge stumbling block for many people who would like to eat food that is humane and healthy. It's a complicated issue. First of all, there is no inherent reason that it would cost more to raise animals the right way. Like I mentioned before, when you raise a cow on grass, you are saving a tremendous amount of money that would have been spent on grain and fossil fuel input. The only reason conventional meat costs less is because of the subsidies that pay for the growing of GMO grain. The Omnivore's Dilemma paints a very clear picture of this situation.

    An equally disturbing problem is the insane regulations that small farmers must follow in order to sell their products. These regulations have been designed by and for industrial agribusiness, in order to eliminate the competition. The regulations drive up the cost of products tremendously. Essentially, without all of the government intervention in the market, doing things the right way would be cheaper.

    Is humanely-raised meat really so much more expensive? I assumed that was true for a long time. When I finally set foot inside a Safeway, I was shocked to see the prices of conventional meat, some of which were the same or higher than what I pay for grass-fed, organically-raised meat. So much depends on the individual's eating habits. If, for example, one has their heart set on eating T-bone steaks for dinner every night, they're going to find grass-fed beef pretty expensive. On the other hand, conventional T-bones and other steaks are prohibitively expensive for me as well. So what should a person do, if they want to eat only the highest quality meat?

    The answer is to take a cue from the past. Our ancestors did not dine on steaks day in and day out! Weston Price reported that the Indians he studied in Northern Canada actually threw much of the muscle meat to their dogs, while saving the fattier meats, glands, organs, bones, and marrow for themselves. Our ancestors ate the entire animal. They could not afford to let anything go to waste. Unfortunately we have strayed pretty far from that practice, and we now throw away the vast majority of the nutrition contained in an animal's body. Our eating habits have become unwise, as well as disrespectful to the animal who has given it's life so that we may be nourished.

    My first suggestion is to purchase as close to the whole animal as possible. Get bone-in, skin-on whole chicken legs instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts, for example. Or even better, buy the whole chicken! You will be saving a ton of money per pound, and you'll also be getting more calories due to the presence of the skin. After you've eaten the chicken, you'll have bones with which to make bone broth. Broth is the secret to making quality meat affordable, because it acts as a protein sparer, allowing us to absorb more protein from the same amount of meat. With bone broth, you can make wonderful and economical soups and stews with lots of vegetables, perhaps some grain and beans, and a small amount of meat. Broth allows one to stretch the same amount of meat much farther. If you buy the whole chicken, you also get the benefit of the organ meats, which can be fried up and eaten or added to the broth. With beef, some farmers offer a box deal where you get a variety of cuts for a reduced price, and I encourage people to take advantage of that kind of offer. My farmer sells a box that comes to $6/lb, which is very reasonable, and it includes many cuts that are usually much more expensive.

    My second suggestion is to take advantage of the fact that the most nutritious parts of the animal are usually the least expensive. Tougher cuts of meat are full of connective tissue and need to be stewed for hours to become tender. But that connective tissue is a nutritional goldmine! It contains gelatin that helps you digest your food and has many healing properties, along with amino acids that make protein more complete, as well as providing support for detoxification. Tougher cuts also tend to be the most flavorful. Similarly, bone-in meats are more nutritious than boneless, but contain an abundance of alkaline minerals. Grass-fed liver is cheaper than any cut of meat, and is so packed with nutrition that some consider it to be nature's multivitamin.

    There are some animal products that are (as long as we have a regulatory system that bows to industrial agribusiness) going to be more expensive when produced properly. Dairy products are one of the worst examples. At the store, grass-fed raw milk costs $16-18 per gallon! If you must have raw milk, try to find it from a local farmer who is charging less. Or see if you can volunteer a couple hours a week in exchange for some milk. A cheaper option would be to buy organic, low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized milk from grass-fed cows (we have this locally available now from St. Benoit, as well as Straus milk which is partially grass-fed), and culture it at home to make kefir or yogurt. There are yogurt cultures you can buy that work at room temperature so you don't need a yogurt maker. Even though the milk is pasteurized, culturing it improves the nutrition tremendously and reintroduces beneficial bacteria and enzymes.

    The bottom line for me is that you are getting so much more nutrition from properly raised animal products than you are from even organic versions. Pasture-fed eggs have been proven to be far superior nutritionally than regular eggs. Even though they cost half the price, I consider the regular eggs to be the rip-off. And grass-fed beef has a balanced ratio of omega-3:omega-6. Is it really worth it to pay a little less for a nutritionally unbalanced product? And that's not even considering the environmental and moral costs.

    Clearly there are going to be people who will have trouble affording quality animal products. I encourage those people to be creative in finding ways to incorporate the most affordable and nutrient-dense animal products (butter, cheese, eggs, tallow, organ meats, bone broth, marrow) into their diets. And don't stress if you have to make compromises sometimes. Just do the best you can given the circumstances you find yourself in. Eating healthy on a budget takes resourcefulness and a willingness to play around and try new things. But the results are well worth it.

    Thanks for reading,

    Laurel Blair, NTP
    www.dynamicbalancenutrition.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

  3. TopTop #32
    DynamicBalance's Avatar
    DynamicBalance
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I just published a new article about how to heal tooth decay with nutrition. It contains an overview of Weston A. Price's research, and much more. Check it out!

    Laurel Blair, NTP
    www.dynamicbalancenutrition.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  5. TopTop #33
    Wendiki
    Guest

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I'll just jump right in here to state that the last encyclopedic reply seems excessively long and off topic at times. I've come to the knowledge that eating a plant-based diet is perfect for me, and there is growing evidence to support this diet as excellent for optimal health (which includes a healthy weight) at all stages of life.

    My research shows that a high percentage of both plant-based eaters and meat-eaters are deficient in vitamin B-12, which is easily resolved with a sublingual B-12 vitamin pill.

    Honestly, I know people who have 5 shelves of vitamins, potions and healing powders and herbs for everything under the sun, and spend each waking moment determining proper food combinations, foods for their blood type, what's good, what's bad... It's enough to make your head spin! Who has the time for that?

    I don't even try to convince the world that my way of eating is right, but I like to share if asked - and many people ask, because I'm living proof that it works. Same for my circle of friends; we're healthy and happy and of normal weight. The original question is about weight loss. I don't see how eating cod liver oil to heal tooth decay has any relevance here.

    ~Wendy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  7. TopTop #34
    Barry's Avatar
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Thanks everybody for your replies. Indeed the discussion has gotten somewhat off-topic, but I think it has been quite interesting and informative.

    Clearly we are not going to agree what is the diet for optimal health as there are countless "experts" each proclaiming their diet is what is best. Besides that fact the nobody agrees, I imagine that there really is no "best" answer. I'll go further and say that there probably isn't a single best diet for a particular person, let alone all the variations from person to person.

    Let's refocus this discussion back to weight loss diets (before hostilities break out ). I'll include in that diets that may not be configured for optimal long term health, but non-the-less are effective shedding pounds in the shortish term. Got that? Let's put aside everything else for the moment other than the effectiveness of losing weight.

    I'm surprised no one has chimed in about the HCG diet yet. I'm sure some of you have tried it. What's your experience of being on it? Was it unpleasant? Could you still work? Did you feel unhealthy? Has most of the weight stayed off after you came off of it onto some maintenance plan? Same goes of any other weight-loss diet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  8. TopTop #35
    Quintessence's Avatar
    Quintessence
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Barry, I did the HCG diet for 30 days, before reading the Eat to Live book of Joel Fuhrman, M.D., and becoming convinced I should follow that plan instead of doing a phase 2 of the HCG. Fuhrman has a rather critical view of HCG, as you can imagine, highlighted by the fact that there is very little fruit in the HCG diet. The HCG diet was effective, and while hard, it was not impossible. I was quite low energy on occasion, being 6'2 and over 200 lbs., 500 calories is quite a restriction. While I lost 25 lbs. in 30 days, I found it difficult to keep off, but with consistent effort I have kept off 15 lbs. Frankly, I think if I was consistent in staying with no alcohol, I could have kept off more, but I like beer, and that is a problem with any diet. If you are serious about weight loss, alcohol should be off limits. When you are on a maintenance mode, a moderate amount once a week or so is OK. That sucks, but it is a factor for us folks over a certain age especially.

    I think if you are serious about doing a weight loss program you can stick with, I would read Eat to Live and try it. It's not a diet, and having tried several, I agree diets don't work. HCG is a diet, and while you could do it and have success, I would do Fuhrman's plan with no alcohol for 6 weeks and I bet you would lose 20 lbs or more and not be hungry. In fact, I would make that bet, that you lose 20 lbs. 20 in 45 days that you can keep off, is better than 25 in 30 that you can't, IMHO.

    It would be cool to see you as a test case on here where we could all enjoy your reporting.

    ~Jon

    Quote Barry wrote: View Post
    Thanks everybody for your replies. Indeed the discussion has gotten somewhat off-topic, but I think it has been quite interesting and informative.

    Clearly we are not going to agree what is the diet for optimal health as there are countless "experts" each proclaiming their diet is what is best. Besides that fact the nobody agrees, I imagine that there really is no "best" answer. I'll go further and say that there probably isn't a single best diet for a particular person, let alone all the variations from person to person.

    Let's refocus this discussion back to weight loss diets (before hostilities break out ). I'll include in that diets that may not be configured for optimal long term health, but non-the-less are effective shedding pounds in the shortish term. Got that? Let's put aside everything else for the moment other than the effectiveness of losing weight.

    I'm surprised no one has chimed in about the HCG diet yet. I'm sure some of you have tried it. What's your experience of being on it? Was it unpleasant? Could you still work? Did you feel unhealthy? Has most of the weight stayed off after you came off of it onto some maintenance plan? Same goes of any other weight-loss diet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  10. TopTop #36
    kamal
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    According to the first ever study of thousands of people on a vegan/plant-based diet, only those on a vegan diet had the ideal body mass index/weight without even really trying. source: http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/tho...egans-studied/ (Dr. Greger's site is like the wikipedia for nutrition research. "Dr. Greger scours the world of nutrition-related research, as published in scientific journals, and brings that information to you in short, easy to understand video segments. [They] also provide links to the original journal articles whenever possible so that you can source the information directly, if you so desire." original source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/ (no login or registration required to view the data).

    I realize your immediate, short-term goal is weightloss. But I do not think this goal should be treated as mutually exclusive to others. e.g. health. But you definitely do not have to worry about kwashiorkor, which contrary to prior claims, is "a form of malnutrition that occurs when there is not enough protein in the diet."

    I would also urge you to consider how diet affects the rest of the world. We have one planet with limited resources. This is where our children, nieces, nephews and grandkids will spend their lives. What we choose to eat does make a difference, a huge difference considering that citizens of countries like China and India are becoming more affluent and adopting a more western lifestyle, including diet. Again, contrary to prior statements, an animal agriculture based diet is unsustainable. Source 2, source 3.

    Peace be with you all,

    Kamal
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  12. TopTop #37
    Wendiki
    Guest

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I agree, Kamal, and that's the beauty of plant-based eating. It's easy AND it's healthy. I don't have to sacrifice my health for fad and very often unhealthy weight loss diets.

    So I lost the weight by eating lots of nature's bounty, and now I keep it off by doing the same. I never sacrifice, I'm NEVER hungry, I enjoy a great variety of foods, and I get to enjoy sweets and treats when I wish.

    There's real satisfaction in having others try this and experiencing similar success. Very gratifying, indeed!

    ~Wendy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  13. TopTop #38
    Barry's Avatar
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Wendy,

    Did you follow a particular plan besides just vegetarian?

    Barry


    Quote Wendiki wrote: View Post
    I agree, Kamal, and that's the beauty of plant-based eating. It's easy AND it's healthy. I don't have to sacrifice my health for fad and very often unhealthy weight loss diets.

    So I lost the weight by eating lots of nature's bounty, and now I keep it off by doing the same. I never sacrifice, I'm NEVER hungry, I enjoy a great variety of foods, and I get to enjoy sweets and treats when I wish.

    There's real satisfaction in having others try this and experiencing similar success. Very gratifying, indeed!

    ~Wendy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  14. TopTop #39
    Quintessence's Avatar
    Quintessence
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I forgot to mention, Chapter 8 of Eat to Live is entitled "Your Plan for Substantial Weight Reduction", in which Fuhrman details a 6 week plan to follow rigorously. It should accomplish a loss of 20 lbs. or more. It involves eating raw and steamed vegetables -- as much as you can eat, 4 servings of fruit, and a cup of beans, daily. No oils, dairy, meat, caffeine, or alcohol. He reports people losing as much as a pound per day on the diet, which is what you could expect doing the HCG diet, but this is sooooooo much healthier.

    Jon

    Quote Quintessence wrote: View Post
    Barry, I did the HCG diet for 30 days, before reading the Eat to Live book of Joel Fuhrman, M.D., and becoming convinced I should follow that plan instead of doing a phase 2 of the HCG. Fuhrman has a rather critical view of HCG, as you can imagine, highlighted by the fact that there is very little fruit in the HCG diet. The HCG diet was effective, and while hard, it was not impossible. I was quite low energy on occasion, being 6'2 and over 200 lbs., 500 calories is quite a restriction. While I lost 25 lbs. in 30 days, I found it difficult to keep off, but with consistent effort I have kept off 15 lbs. Frankly, I think if I was consistent in staying with no alcohol, I could have kept off more, but I like beer, and that is a problem with any diet. If you are serious about weight loss, alcohol should be off limits. When you are on a maintenance mode, a moderate amount once a week or so is OK. That sucks, but it is a factor for us folks over a certain age especially.

    I think if you are serious about doing a weight loss program you can stick with, I would read Eat to Live and try it. It's not a diet, and having tried several, I agree diets don't work. HCG is a diet, and while you could do it and have success, I would do Fuhrman's plan with no alcohol for 6 weeks and I bet you would lose 20 lbs or more and not be hungry. In fact, I would make that bet, that you lose 20 lbs. 20 in 45 days that you can keep off, is better than 25 in 30 that you can't, IMHO.

    It would be cool to see you as a test case on here where we could all enjoy your reporting.

    ~Jon
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  15. Gratitude expressed by:

  16. TopTop #40
    Wendiki
    Guest

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Hi Barry,

    No, I don't follow a particular plan. I must admit, once I made the decision, I went to the library and brought home a 3-foot stack of books on vegan and plant-based eating. I devoured all information I could get my hands on through books, DVD's (borrowed and through Netflix), YouTube videos, and of course, making new friends and trying absolutely delicious and wonderful new foods at the twice-monthly potlucks here in Santa Rosa.

    I, like may others, had the misconception that vegan food would be gray and brown and taste like cardboard. Wow, how wrong I was. Beautiful colors, a variety of textures and tastes, and it continues to be a veritable feast.

    I'm not an advocate of following any one particular diet plan, and choose to gather, filter and use information from a wide variety of sources. I definitely steer clear of plans that seem extreme and/or use lots of strange/expensive/hard-to-find ingredients. Again, I like to keep things simple, and I want nothing to do with counting calories or carbs or anything else.

    Having said that, I would highly recommend the following books and DVD for anyone interested in exploring a plant-based diet: "The Veganist," by Kathy Freston. She's all about "leaning into" this lifestyle, advocating progress, not perfection. Next, I'd recommend "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Again, no-nonsense, very gentle, very do-able.

    Last, I'd most highly recommend viewing "Forks Over Knives" available on DVD as well as Netflix streaming. Some people are afraid this film may contain graphic images of inhumane treatment of animals, but it doesn't at all, not even a second; strictly focuses on the positive health aspects of eating plants, and does so in a very encouraging, uplifting and most interesting manner! I haven't met a single meat-eater who hasn't walked away positively changed, even in a small way, after viewing this excellent and informative film.

    Good luck, and let me know if you'd like more information on attending any of the fun, non-judgmental and fabulous potlucks here in Santa Rosa. All are welcome, and you don't have to be vegetarian or vegan to attend. We have one this Friday and would love to meet you!

    ~Wendy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  17. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

  18. TopTop #41
    Alkaline Al
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    ALKALINE AL


    For the first thirty years of my life I was living in darkness. In infancy my mother died. My father was alcoholic.An abused and dysfunctional childhood, learning disabilities and ongoing seasonal sickness were compromising my future. As a young adult, alcohol, drugs, desperation and anger kept me in a permanent state of frustration, resentment and confusion.In 1967, at age 31, I turned about and decided to become a spiritual aspirant ~°~


    Gifted with ‘free_will’ we as humans have the ability to rise above our animal instincts and carnal desires.Not wanting to kill and eat any sentient beings, I became vegetarian: 100%. No meat, fish, eggs or poultry. It was a moral decision that had nothing to do with my health -__-


    Sadly, during the first ten years I was a chain-smoking; cooked-foods, baked-flaked, roasted-toasted, dried-fried, cakes-cookies, bread, chips, pasta, ice cream, cheese-pizza-tarian. At that time I was meditating two to four hours a day and my job involved distance driving. Due to the lack of exercise and my high calorie, mostly processed, comfort foods diet, I had very little reserve energy =_= I was approaching 40 and the spare tire around my belly was a silent alarm, screaming at me; Hey pAL !_! You need to give your precious body more time and attention “°_°” Those days vegetarian leadership was difficult to find, so I had to become my own health, fitness and postural recovery coach. Lethargy, ill health and my aching back were demanding that I become a decisive student of the obvious @[email protected]


    Age 41, ‘I’ stopped smoking cigarettes forever -,- started practicing Hatha yoga daily, and began exercising more often (**)


    Age 42, I discovered Nutritional Alkalizing. The next step to an alkaline diet was a relatively easy one for me to make. Already vegetarian, all I had to do was eliminate alcohol, caffeine, sugar and all gluten grain. The results were quite dramatic and easy enough to validate. At age 54, common sense, vanity and ongoing congestion insisted that I eliminate dairy products and become vegan -__-


    Age 50, I started working out. I teach yoga at my local gym in exchange for use of their facility. Three to five days a week I go through the weight resistance machines or occasionally I’ll lift weights or climb the stair master. I am 6’-2” 155 lb, small boned person in a tall man’s body.I do not have the genes for bodybuilding but I do enjoy the reserves of energy I receive from working out, dancing, gardening, hiking and riding my bike. Resting pulse, <(52_55)>


    One cannot practice yoga with food in their stomach. So, I began fasting until after the evening class. As an early riser, I was surprised to learn that I was full of light, life and energy all day. Then I began fasting every day, until sometime -.- past high noon (-^-)


    Generally after working out I munch on whole, raw fruit; all afternoon, as much as I desire, organic fruit, any kind from anywhere. I stop eating fruit an hour or two before my evening meal, which consists of a large green leafy, sprouts and raw vegetable salad. I include one cooked food with this meal, such as; legumes, millet, quinoa, teff, raw tempeh or tofu, sometimes soup, most often, lightly steamed greens or a vegetable -__- (Sometimes 100% raw) ~_~


    I’ve eliminated all gluten grains from my diet and I do not eat super foods like green powders, hemp, TSP textured-soy or whey proteins, etc. I do not take multi-vitamins. I get ample B-12 and minerals from fortified nutritional yeast, seaweeds and my home garden. Natural oils found in avocados, greens, olives, raw-nuts and seeds are an important part of my diet. I cook with coconut oil and use organic olive oil in salad dressing -__-


    Since 1967, I have been eating organic Tempe, Tofu or Miso from two to four times a week with absolutely NO negative side effects. However, I completely avoid all bottled or canned; ‘non-dairy’ nut, seed, grain, and soy milks including all of the other processed, pasteurized or packaged ‘fast-food’ byproducts. Now at Age 75, I am healthier, stronger and as vital as I’ve ever been.I’m not always 100% anything, therefore every day I must re-define the edges of my mental, physical and spiritual limitations. I find that daily meditation; Alkalizing, Exercise and Yoga, ‘YEA’ works the best for me. (*¿*)
    Your pAL, °) [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  20. TopTop #42
    Glia's Avatar
    Glia
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Alton Brown, the Good Eats guy, has lost 50 pounds over the past year. His diet plan is the subject of an episode cleverly entitled "Live and Let Diet" recently posted on Hulu.

    Another documented diet adventure available online is Fat Head. While this is not a long-term diet by any means, it might be interesting to try for 3-4 weeks to see if the general idea works for your physiology.
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fa...?trkid=2361637

    Alkaline Al is on the right track with the alkalizing approach.

    For me, cutting way back on carbs (either complex or simple) and dairy of any type sure helped me have more energy and sleep better. Everyone's body and needs are different, as this thread has made clear!

    Quote Alkaline Al wrote: View Post
    I find that daily meditation; Alkalizing, Exercise and Yoga, ‘YEA’ works the best for me.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  21. TopTop #43
    Barry's Avatar
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Thanks again for everybody's input on their favorite diet.

    After much consideration (well reading this great thread, at least) we've decide to use the Eat to Live plan of Joel Fuhrman (I hope Laurel will forgive us )

    I've been a fan of low-carb diets, but the last time it didn't work so well, and strangely enough, I find that I am more resistant to giving up fruit than meat at the moment.
    I might even get around to blogging on how it goes.
    Anybody want to join us?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  22. Gratitude expressed by:

  23. TopTop #44
    kamal
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I think it would be awesome if you blogged about your experience. If you are looking for a place to start with recipes and the like, please check out the following meetup: http://www.meetup.com/northbay-vegan/events/59212352/

    I know you will be successful in this new adventure but all the best, just the same. :)

    Here is a breakfast idea to get you started (actually what my wife and I have for breakfast pretty much daily, except for some weekends).

    Super Hero Breakfast.

    Ingredients: a bunch of kale, an orange, half a banana, 1/4 pear, one carrot, handful of seeds, and (frozen) berries (strawberries, blackberries, rasberries and blueberries). Change ingredients/quantities to fit your taste. Typically, you want more veggies (quantity-wise) than fruit.

    Add them to a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix) carafe with some water and blend on high for 30-45secs. Enjoy a tasty breakfast rich in protein, anti-oxidants, phyto-nutrients, vitamins, fiber and minerals with very low fat (only the good kind and mostly from the seeds), ZERO cholesterol.

    We prepare the ingredients over the weekend (washing kale, carrots, peeling oranges) and juice them every morning for a healthy breakfast to kickstart our day.

    Kamal
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  24. Gratitude expressed by:

  25. TopTop #45
    Quintessence's Avatar
    Quintessence
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    No surprise, I think that's a great decision, Barry! Anecdotally, I heard reported recently that over 50% of heathcare costs can be attributed to consumption of sugar and animal products.

    I look forward to your posts about your experiences.
    Quote Barry wrote: View Post
    Thanks again for everybody's input on their favorite diet.

    After much consideration (well reading this great thread, at least) we've decide to use the Eat to Live plan of Joel Fuhrman (I hope Laurel will forgive us )

    I've been a fan of low-carb diets, but the last time it didn't work so well, and strangely enough, I find that I am more resistant to giving up fruit than meat at the moment.
    I might even get around to blogging on how it goes.
    Anybody want to join us?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  26. TopTop #46
    Barry's Avatar
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I've lost about 7 lbs so far and I haven't been going too crazy! I still haven't gotten used to almond milk instead of my my beloved half&half in my coffee (I know, I should just quit coffee altogether...) Aside from that, skipping meat and dairy hasn't been too hard.

    Quote Quintessence wrote: View Post
    No surprise, I think that's a great decision, Barry! Anecdotally, I heard reported recently that over 50% of heathcare costs can be attributed to consumption of sugar and animal products.

    I look forward to your posts about your experiences.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  28. TopTop #47
    Bird Watcher's Avatar
    Bird Watcher
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    The jury is out on coffee. Actually, the latest reports say that some coffee (2 cups/day) is ok and potentially health-supporting. So why give up the coffee? It's an industry that we can support via fair trade. (Hi, Taylor Maid Farms!)

    Quote Barry wrote: View Post
    I've lost about 7 lbs so far and I haven't been going too crazy! I still haven't gotten used to almond milk instead of my my beloved half&half in my coffee (I know, I should just quit coffee altogether...) Aside from that, skipping meat and dairy hasn't been too hard.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  30. TopTop #48
    Glia's Avatar
    Glia
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Be careful about the carbs in almond milk. most is sweetened and even w/o sweetening, the almonds have a high carb level on their own.

    We have found Silk and Wildwood organic non-dairy creamers to be reasonable replacements for dairy half & half. They do have soybean oil in them, so that may be a concern.

    It would be nice if someone would come up with a hemp milk creamer that did the job!

    Quote Barry wrote: View Post
    I've lost about 7 lbs so far and I haven't been going too crazy! I still haven't gotten used to almond milk instead of my my beloved half&half in my coffee (I know, I should just quit coffee altogether...) Aside from that, skipping meat and dairy hasn't been too hard.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  31. Gratitude expressed by:

  32. TopTop #49
    Quintessence's Avatar
    Quintessence
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I have my Silk Pure Almond in front of me. 60% of the calories of 1% milk. Og Saturated fat and no Cholesterol, vs. 1.5g and 10 mg for the 1% milk. Not sure what carbs you are talking about. No one on a weight plan would buy the sweetened stuff.

    Quote Glia wrote: View Post
    Be careful about the carbs in almond milk. most is sweetened and even w/o sweetening, the almonds have a high carb level on their own.

    We have found Silk and Wildwood organic non-dairy creamers to be reasonable replacements for dairy half & half. They do have soybean oil in them, so that may be a concern.

    It would be nice if someone would come up with a hemp milk creamer that did the job!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  33. Gratitude expressed by:

  34. TopTop #50
    Glia's Avatar
    Glia
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    With almond and hemp milks, sweetened (usually with cane sugar) is the default format. If you want to skip the added carbs, you need to specifically get the "unsweetened" type. Just giving a heads up on that.

    It has carbs, right? And simple carbs at that, especially if it has been sweetened with cane sugar. If one is trying to do a low/no carbohydrate diet, these non-dairy milks can be a suprise source of carbs, especially if you're putting it in your coffee and not measuring out how much you're consuming per day. Using them as a creamer can really add up as far as carb intake. Again, it is something of a stealth carb and calorie source.

    Bottom line: always read the label.

    Any of the non-dairy milks are better than any dairy products IMO, with the possible exception of raw goat milk products from a goat that you personally know. And does anybody seriously use skim (1% fat) cow milk as a coffee creamer? Blechhhhh.

    Quote Quintessence wrote: View Post
    I have my Silk Pure Almond in front of me. 60% of the calories of 1% milk. Og Saturated fat and no Cholesterol, vs. 1.5g and 10 mg for the 1% milk. Not sure what carbs you are talking about. No one on a weight plan would buy the sweetened stuff.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  35. TopTop #51
    Quintessence's Avatar
    Quintessence
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Yeah, my son uses skim milk in his coffee, I don't get it, but people do that. As far as low or no-carb diet, I don't get that either, isn't that kind of diet disproven as far as being smart or effective? There are only 3 sources of calories -- fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Generally, you get a lot of fat with high protein, and that leaves low-fat protein sources (plants!) that have a modicum of carbs, to get protein. But carbs make the world go around, so to speak. Certainly you don't want to get your calories from fat, and protein comes with carbs. Just stay away from starch and simple carbs, but the more complex ones are the basis of a smart diet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  36. Gratitude expressed by:

  37. TopTop #52
    meherc's Avatar
    meherc
    Supporting member

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Ice cream and whiskey.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-30-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  38. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

  39. TopTop #53
    BobHeisler's Avatar
    BobHeisler
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I don't believe in diets. I think they create pent-up demand in people, leading to an endless cycle of dieting and binging (and I'm not referring to search engines!). I've never had a weight problem, but if I ever put on a few extra pounds I just consciously thought about eating just a little bit less for a while and a week or two later the extra pounds were gone. Millions of people have spent billions of dollars on diets that don't work and ended up even worse off. My philosophy is to eat the things I enjoy within reason without over-indulging in anything. I think if someone wants to lose weight, all they need to do is reduce their portions by 20-25 % or so and make exercise a part of their routine. I think exercising makes the goal easier to achieve.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

  41. TopTop #54
    alanora's Avatar
    alanora
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    I just read your request Barry and am thrilled with your success. My favorite diet was the one espoused in the movie "Defending Your Life" where you could eat whatever you want but they gave you no time and whipped you on to the next event. Blessings, Mindy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  42. TopTop #55
    Philip Tymon's Avatar
    Philip Tymon
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Exercise. And lots of it.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Barry wrote: View Post
    It's getting to be that time of year to start thinking about dropping some of that winter padding and get ready for spring and summer (and in my case, a wedding!)

    The first time a tried the Atkins diet I managed to drop 30 lbs! It totally changed my life! However when I tried it again, or the related South Beach diet, I was less successful.

    What I liked about it is that I could eat as much as I wanted. I've always had a preference for protein rather than sugar (Blood Type 0) so the restricted food choices worked for me. The food choices can also be rather expensive, especially if you try to do it using primarily organic sources.

    The HCG diet is all the rage now and I've seen people lose significant weight using it. However, injections are unappealing as well as low energy while your starving yourself.

    I'd love to hear primarily first-person accounts of what diets have worked for you!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  43. Gratitude expressed by:

  44. TopTop #56
    bill shearer's Avatar
    bill shearer
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Eat all the fresh veggies, fruits and whole grains you want. Have anything else you want to eat, but not when your hungry and in small amounts.
    Cheers, Dodie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  45. Gratitude expressed by:

  46. TopTop #57
    jbox's Avatar
    jbox
     

    Re: What's your favorite diet?

    Quote bill shearer wrote: View Post
    Eat all the fresh veggies, fruits and whole grains you want. Have anything else you want to eat, but not when your hungry and in small amounts.
    Cheers, Dodie
    Well, when I'm hungry, I like to quote Steve Miller and say, " GIVE ME A CHEESEBURGER''. And, by the way, put some fresh veggies on that, lettuce, tomato, and pepperoncini. Oh yeah !!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

  47. Gratitude expressed by:

Similar Threads

  1. Diet & health
    By sd gross in forum General Community
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
  2. Dissecting the Cave Lion Diet
    By geomancer in forum WaccoReader
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
  3. ADHD and the Link to Diet
    By DynamicBalance in forum WaccoReader
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Bookmarks