Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    xcaliber

I'd Recommend Standing Up To Bank Of The West

For several years Bank of the West advertised "Free Checking For Life", including on big banners above the entrance.

Yesterday, I received a letter from Bank of the West telling me they are now charging monthly fees for checking accounts unless I meet minimum-balance or minimum-transaction criteria!

I told the manager that this was wrong and likely illegal, given the previous "Free Checking For Life" campaign.

I told him "Free Checking For Life" doesn't mean "Free Checking for Life (until we decide to charge you)".

You should do the same.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Veeja

Re: I'd Recommend Standing Up To Bank Of The West

The bank of the west has gone above and beyond in my opinion. I was having trouble with someone taking money out of my account that I ended my obligation with. Had trouble for months. B of A would call me personally to tell me they were sending my rent check thru but I needed to come in and deposit money because I was short because of the trouble I was having with these people taking money out that should not have been. I like my small town Sebastopol B of A.

4. TopTop #3
    Veeja

And I think it's pretty standard if you don't keep a certain amount in your account they can charge you a fee. Nothing new. Read the fine print.

5. TopTop #4
    cocreator

It can also be helpful to take a creative rather than dogmatic approach. While I too was perturbed by the notice, I went to the branch where I've been a customer for 15 years and asked to speak with one of the account supervisors, who's known me the entire time and helped me out when there have been a few other problems over the years. I felt confident she'd find a solution beyond what was in the letter ~ or else I was prepared to close that account, which I maintain solely for online purchases (to have a separate debit/credit card than the one linked to my primary account).

After going over everything the notice stated, she asked me if I was 55 yet. I said, "Tomorrow!" And she promptly wrote across the sheet, "55+ — FREE!" So there are some definite benefits to now being a "senior" ~ ha!!

I don't know how old you are, but heads up to anyone over 55 who received the same letter: it's free when you show them your ID Love this "reverse-carding" aspect of aging

Quote Posted in reply to the post by xcaliber: View Post
    For several years Bank of the West advertised "Free Checking For Life", including on big banners above the entrance.

Yesterday, I received a letter from Bank of the West telling me they are now charging monthly fees for checking accounts unless I meet minimum-balance or minimum-transaction criteria!

I told the manager that this was wrong and likely illegal, given the previous "Free Checking For Life" campaign.

I told him "Free Checking For Life" doesn't mean "Free Checking for Life (until we decide to charge you)".

You should do the same.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    The A Team
    Supporting Member

Are you sure you were charged a monthly fee?
    I received the same notice in October and so did a friend and we haven't been charged.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by xcaliber: View Post

You should do the same.

8. TopTop #6
    jesswolfe

How odd. I never got a letter. I have had a lot of good interactions with the people at Bank of the West. They are a lot better than previous banks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by The"A"Team: View Post
    Are you sure you were charged a monthly fee?
    I received the same notice in October and so did a friend and we haven't been charged.

9. TopTop #7
    carolynsell

I'd also like to say how much I've appreciated the service and friendship in the Forestville Bank of the West. Here it's the only game in town, but I couldn't ask for a better banking experience. Let's hear it for small town service (our Post Office is the same way!)

10. TopTop #8
    xcaliber

I agree the Sebastopol Bank of the West is a friendly place. This was obviously a corporate maneuver that the individual branches are stuck with.

11. TopTop #9
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I've also been very happy with Bank of the West over the past 10 years or so. BUT, they are not a local bank, in fact they are not even an American Bank, but rather a subsidiary of a French Mutili-national.

So I am in the process of moving my banking to Community First Credit Union! It's a long process, since I have connected many things to my bank account, but I feel better that I am banking local! Let the fee raise be your inspiration to make the move to a local bank!

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #10
    theindependenteye

It's been a long slog, but finally I've got all our stuff out of the claws of the Big Corps and into things that are a better fit. The first wahoo was years ago, saying F*** Y** to AT&T, then Verizon, and winding up with Credo and Sonic. US Bank is history now, and Community First is our buddy. Last to go was the credit card, about to be gobbled by Bank of America, now switched to the USAA. I'd love to wave a magic wand and do without ALL this crap, just barter and gift and trade, but I guess that'll come with the Collapse. Until then, I'm feeling that all these tangled transfers are worth it, just to detach from the worst of the worst. -- Elizabeth

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #11
    dominus

I too was surprised to learn that Bank of the West's HQ's is located in Paris.

I understand with the new Dodd/Frank rules regarding restrictions on overdraft charges that many banks are faced with increasing revenue by other means. A few months ago, I went to the Sonoma branch to get an account balance while at the Whole Foods S/C. When I received my bank statement I saw Bank of the West had charged me $4.00 for two different account balances. I came to learn that many banks do this which was of little consolation. I phoned the customer service supervisor and requested they reverse the charges which they agreed to. Then a few days ago, I received the very same letter telling me about the latest changes regarding fees.

I dislike the idea of squeezing the little guy in order to make a profit. So, my husband and I made the decision to close our account down and go with the Redwood Credit Union.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #12
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

It should also be pointed out that both Community First Credit Union and Redwood Credit Union offer free checking with no balance requirements.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #13
    rossmen

and this multinational bank is the biggest bank in the world, really. they are currently struggling with euro woes and in the center of brokering the greek bailout, which isn't going to well because of their complicity in issuing credit default swaps on and trading in european government bonds.

so the little san jose based regional bank of the west they bought 25 years ago, which has grown consistently through great customer service and free checking for individuals and small businesses, is where profit can be created in finessing a possible bnc parabas meltdown.

i have appreciated the sebastopol bank of the west for 13 years and have a letter (going from free checking to easy checking):(, on the account i hold with my daughter. i could probably get them to back down but there have been other problems in the past year, they really do seem to be headed downhill, the bigger they are, the harder they fail.

i'll probably switch to community first because they seem to have more reach. while i do have an account with my partner at redwood and it is closer to home, i get really irritated in the morning when i go by and see the parking lites still on!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I've also been very happy with Bank of the West over the past 10 years or so. BUT, they are not a local bank, in fact they are not even an American Bank, but rather a subsidiary of a French Mutili-national.

So I am in the process of moving my banking to Community First Credit Union! It's a long process, since I have connected many things to my bank account, but I feel better that I am banking local! Let the fee raise be your inspiration to make the move to a local bank!

20. TopTop #14
    SanCran

I went though all that trouble to change my bank from Citi bank to Exchange bank only to have them sneak in a new ten dollar fee because my account balance went under $1,000 at a certain time of the month.
    Do I have to do this again? arrrrg