Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thrive Movie
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Barton Stone

Re: Thrive Movie

Excellent statement by John Robbins! The one good thing about the interest in Thrive is that it is a sign that thousands of people in the USA are again questioning the fundamental capitalist, greed-is-good basis of our economic system. After being shut out of public discourse for decades suddenly there is an audience for those who propose alternatives to that bankrupt system. We can insist that community, collaboration, mutual benefit, social wealth, kindness, transparency, accountability and basic fairness be at the heart of those alternatives.
    I think the "occupy" movement created this opening. Let us cultivate and treasure it.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #32
    nanseegee

I have just blocked podfish because I feel assaulted by his/her comments. I've worked very hard the past few years to embrace buddhist principles of non-judgement, gratitude, compassion, forgiveness and to modulate my emotions in order to stay in higher vibratory rates as much as possible.

Sure we all have days when we're angry or otherwise fearful and sometimes you just have to let it out - but don't get stuck there or you'll create more of the same for yourself, and don't attack and blame others for your feelings. Take response-ability for your emotions. And work to change the ones that are dysfunctional and don't contribute anything positive to the world.

We have to BE the peace we want. There's no other way to create it.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #33
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nanseegee: View Post
    I have just blocked podfish because I feel assaulted by his/her comments.
    I guess you won't see this, nanseegee, but how's this for a more gentle restatement:
    It's patronizing and offensive when you refuse to accept people's statements at face value. I don't like it when it's done to me. Don't you think that even if they wanted to lie about their real meaning once they've realized it might offend someone, it wouldn't fool anyone anyway?
    So how 'bout accepting what they actually said instead of pretending they're really on your side?

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #34
    Gus diZerega

Sadly, in some cases I think I am seeing the same reaction to disconfirming facts among some who are not right wingers as has become so common on so much of the political right. (FOX even won a court case affirming its explicit right to lie in its broadcasts- and yet a portion of our population listens only to them.) Now the same pattern seems to be popping up here. When this disease of democratic discourse gets established on both sides of political debate our country becomes even more imperiled than when it got established on one side.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    I guess you won't see this, nanseegee, but how's this for a more gentle restatement:
    It's patronizing and offensive when you refuse to accept people's statements at face value. I don't like it when it's done to me. Don't you think that even if they wanted to lie about their real meaning once they've realized it might offend someone, it wouldn't fool anyone anyway?
    So how 'bout accepting what they actually said instead of pretending they're really on your side?

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #35
    "Mad" Miles

I've withheld comment on this thread recently because I get tired of bursting bubbles of delusion and illusion all of the time. I'm glad others have weighed in with additional critical information.

One thing I found truly amazing, is that the "Pro" Thrive commentary here completely ignored the cogent criticisms which have been provided by me and others on this thread. And to the extent they were acknowledged, were dismissed as fear based or mistaken.

There is so much out there that debunks the claims in the film. But it seems, some wish to ignore anything that goes against their preferred views, without even considering it prior to dismissal. And this is done in the name of open mindedness, tolerance and skepticism. Truly Orwellian!

https://www.santacruz.com/news/2012/0...enounce_thrive

https://thrivedebunked.wordpress.com/

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #36
    "Mad" Miles

Just stumbled across this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/georg...b_1168930.html

The comments are worth a look as well.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #37
    nanseegee

Saw the movie again last night and did not find any part of it disagreeable. Perfectly good movie that is stating truth from my viewpoint and level of discernment. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Perhaps Foster Gamble has personally embraced Libertarian values - who cares? The film is not about that.

I do not agree with John Robbins' objections to Gamble's viewpoints on HAARP, vaccines and David Icke.

So now you can either accept graciously that I have my own viewpoint from my own research or you can wring your hands with contempt and call me nihilistic and Orwellian.

Whatever.

Blessings everyone.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #38
    Gus diZerega

Thinking and arguing in dichotomies is a pretty good way to remove yourself from civilized discussion.

You seem to say either the movie is true in some sense or we do not respect your right to your opinion. There is no third possibility like we respect your right to an opinion even when we regard it as wrong. Which is my view.

You equate truth with opinion. That seems to me to mean that for you truth is nothing more than opinion. That's pretty close to a textbook view of nihilism.

For me, as soon as someone - you or me - makes a truth claim rather than an opinion claim, and makes it in public intending to influence the actions of others, they are legitimately called upon to support their claims when challenged, or not try and influence others with truth claims. You mention your own research without giving anyone access to it and without addressing other views beyond saying they are wrong.

I can say I like chocolate ice cream and it is normally nonsensical for anyone to challenge it and ask for evidence. But if I say that chocolate ice cream adds or subtracts years from the lives of those who eat it, that is a truth claim and reasonable people not only want evidence, reasonable people who make that claim have evidence to offer.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nanseegee: View Post
    Saw the movie again last night and did not find any part of it disagreeable. Perfectly good movie that is stating truth from my viewpoint and level of discernment. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Perhaps Foster Gamble has personally embraced Libertarian values - who cares? The film is not about that.

I do not agree with John Robbins' objections to Gamble's viewpoints on HAARP, vaccines and David Icke.

So now you can either accept graciously that I have my own viewpoint from my own research or you can wring your hands with contempt and call me nihilistic and Orwellian.

Whatever.

Blessings everyone.

16. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: