Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Town Hall Notes: Is it still important for the movement to occupy public space?

[These are notes from one of the break out groups at the January 9th, 2012 Occupy Sonoma County Town Hall meeting in Sebastopol. You are welcome to reply publicly or contact a group representative by emailing the contact listing below rather than Reply Privately. Thanks! -Barry]

Topic: Is it still important for the movement to occupy public space?

Convener: Thomas

Participants: Nick, Zachary, Jean, Natalie, Dwight, Larry, Jeff, and others

Discussion points:
    - A tent city is not essential but a public presence is desirable then people don't forget you're there.

- right now there is a permanent information tent in the Sebastopol Plaza that can be easily staffed by any interested occupier

-one participant from OSR says it is desirable and forces everyone to stretch and grow. I saw physical and emotional changes in people as they became more involved with the movement.

- consensus of the group is that it is important to maintain a presence.

-it takes energy to occupy
    - the more people that occupy the less energy it takes

-what attracted me is the spirit of human genius, if we didn't occupy we would not have gotten the attention similar to the veterans occupation of Washington DC during the depression. I think it is necessary to bring back the tents, I think some towns realize they need help and need the energy of the people.

-it would be great if everyone in this room would commit an hour to staff the tent in Sebastopol Plaza

-It feels good to occupy and we all have the skill to do it, you learn new things by listening to others

-having a public space/ a tent gives people a place to go to exchange ideas. people want to come and give information

- two people discussed if it was necessary or not for people staffing the tent to be knowledgeable about issues,
    -we all have the ability to occupy and staff the tent

-it's a murky process, with no real agenda
    -What's our point? …. pick one.

- for me it's about economic disparity and big banks getting free money to play with

- staying non-violent is critical
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: