Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Finally... Solo Farmer Fights Monsanto and Wins

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 25 2011 | 98,473 views

See Full Film Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINXJ2U2o0o

Story at-a-glance

• Earlier this year, Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the U.S. won its lawsuit against the Bayer Corporation after its natural long-grain rice was contaminated with Bayer's unapproved genetically engineered rice. Thousands of similar lawsuits have been filed.
    • Canadian canola farmer, Percy Schmeiser, was sued by Monsanto for patent infringement in 1998, after his fields were found to contain Monsanto’s patented GM canola. But rather than accepting Monsanto’s bullying ways, he decided to fight back—and won. In March 2008, Monsanto agreed to pay for cleanup costs. Since then, Schmeiser’s fight for farmer’s rights has been featured in a documentary film, “David versus Monsanto.”
    • Other recent cases of contamination of conventional and organic crops with GM varieties include maize in Ireland and Spain, and corn in Germany.

By Dr. Mercola
    Monsanto has long been trying to establish control over the seeds of the plants that produce food for the world.
    They have already patented a number of genetically altered food crops, which can only be grown with proper license, and the seeds for which must be purchased anew each year.
    But genetically engineered crops cannot be contained.
    And rather than being found guilty of contaminating farmers' property, Monsanto has successfully sued hundreds of farmers for patent infringement.
    Many farmers have subsequently, quite literally, lost their farms.
    Percy Schmeiser of Saskatchewan, Canada, was also a victim of Monsanto's vile ways.
    Schmeiser worked on farming and developing his own seeds for 50 years, and when his fields were contaminated, Monsanto threatened him, intimidated him, and tried to take his land away.
    But Schmeiser refused to give in, and eventually beat them in court.
    David versus Goliath
    Percy's story is a classic case of David versus Goliath, and his victory is no doubt momentous.
    It all began in 1998, at which time Schmeiser had grown canola on his farm for 40 years. Like any other traditional farmer, he used his own seeds, saved from the previous harvest. But, like hundreds of other North American farmers, Schmeiser ended up being sued by Monsanto for 'patent infringement.'

More than 320 hectares were found to be contaminated with Roundup Ready canola—the biotech giant's patented canola, genetically engineered to tolerate otherwise lethal doses of glyphosate. The company sought damages totaling $400,000.
    Most farmers end up settling, but Schmeiser was angry enough to fight back. In a 1999 interview, Schmeiser stated:
    "I never put those plants on my land. The question is, where do Monsanto's rights end and mine begin?"
    The case eventually went before the Federal Court of Canada. Schmeiser in turn accused Monsanto of:

• Libel, by publicly accusing him of committing illegal acts
    • Trespassing
    • Improperly obtaining samples of his seed from a local seed plant
    • Callous disregard for the environment by introducing genetically modified crops without proper controls and containment
    • Contamination of his crops with unwanted GM plants
    After 10 Years, Monsanto Agrees to Pay for Cleanup
    After a decade-long battle, Schmeiser won when, in March 2008, Monsanto settled out of court, agreeing to pay for all cleanup costs. The agreement also specified that Schmeiser would not be under gag-order, and that Monsanto can be sued for recontamination.
    This was a much-needed win not just for Schmeiser, but for farmers everywhere. It set the precedence that farmers may be entitled to reimbursement when their fields are contaminated with unwanted GM crops (as indeed they should!). On Schmeiser's website, www.percyschmeiser.com, he states:
    "If I would go to St. Louis and contaminate their plots--destroy what they have worked on for 40 years--I think I would be put in jail and the key thrown away."
    However, that's not to say that farmers have nothing to fear anymore… The Federal Court of Canada did uphold the validity of Monsanto's patent, dismissing Schmeiser's challenge to the patent based on the fact that Monsanto cannot control its spread. Worse yet, while the judge agreed that a farmer can generally claim ownership of crops growing in his fields when they're inadvertently carried there by pollen or wind, this does not hold true when it comes to patented, genetically modified seed. Schmeiser was deeply upset about this particular part of the ruling, as the implications are huge.
    Still, in this case, while Monsanto's patent was still deemed valid and enforceable, Schmeiser was not forced to pay for the 'privilege' of having his fields contaminated…
    This landmark case is now featured in the documentary film "David versus Monsanto." (See the trailer above.)

Article continues:
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...1225_SNL_Art_1_
    Last edited by ubaru; 12-27-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: Finally... Solo Farmer Fights Monsanto and Wins

I got to see Percy in person in Ukiah a number of years ago when he was first trying to get the word out in the US about Monsanto's outrageous abuse of the legal system (and of marketing tactics). A very sad story for many thousands of farmers (especially in India!).

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ubaru: View Post

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 25 2011 | 98,473 views

Story at-a-glance

• Earlier this year, Riceland Foods, the largest rice cooperative in the U.S. won its lawsuit against the Bayer Corporation after its natural long-grain rice was contaminated with Bayer's unapproved genetically engineered rice. Thousands of similar lawsuits have been filed.
    • Canadian canola farmer, Percy Schmeiser, was sued by Monsanto for patent infringement in 1998, after his fields were found to contain Monsanto’s patented GM canola. But rather than accepting Monsanto’s bullying ways, he decided to fight back—and won. In March 2008, Monsanto agreed to pay for cleanup costs. Since then, Schmeiser’s fight for farmer’s rights has been featured in a documentary film, “David versus Monsanto.”
    • Other recent cases of contamination of conventional and organic crops with GM varieties include maize in Ireland and Spain, and corn in Germany.
    Article continues:

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Csummer:
    I got to see Percy in person in Ukiah a number of years ago when he was first trying to get the word out in the US about Monsanto's outrageous abuse of the legal system (and of marketing tactics). A very sad story for many thousands of farmers (especially in India!).
    That's horrible. It's my first time hearing of him, and I'm so glad that not only did he not take it on the chin from Monsanto, but is touring to tell the story, and he made the film. This is potent and making such a difference. I wonder if he's been to India?

Liz
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.

6. TopTop #4
    CSummer

Yes, it appears that he has been to India:

https://www.percyschmeiser.com/Gandhiaward.htm

There's more GMO bad news on that page:

"Schmeiser was teamed with Dr. Arpad Pusztai, a Hungarian born genetic scientist who was a former senior researcher at the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland. Pusztai's work included research on what effects potatoes that had been genetically altered to resist the potato beetle would have on rats. From his findings he concluded that the genetically modified potato was not substantially equivalent to the potato in it's natural form; in the young rats' intestines he found cells that eventually developed into tumours. He subsequently lost his position and was given a gag order regarding his findings."

That's horrible. It's my first time hearing of him, and I'm so glad that not only did he not take it on the chin from Monsanto, but is touring to tell the story, and he made the film. This is potent and making such a difference. I wonder if he's been to India?

Liz

7. TopTop #5

An ode to Monsanto

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    Yes, it appears that he has been to India:

https://www.percyschmeiser.com/Gandhiaward.htm

There's more GMO bad news on that page:

"Schmeiser was teamed with Dr. Arpad Pusztai, a Hungarian born genetic scientist who was a former senior researcher at the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland. Pusztai's work included research on what effects potatoes that had been genetically altered to resist the potato beetle would have on rats. From his findings he concluded that the genetically modified potato was not substantially equivalent to the potato in it's natural form; in the young rats' intestines he found cells that eventually developed into tumours. He subsequently lost his position and was given a gag order regarding his findings."
    You know I still need to track it down, but I saw a video a few weeks ago that said that GMO's had been developed and were being used to make all males who ate it sterile. This is genocide without gas chambers or bullets.

Meanwhile I want to share this creative and soulful video about GMO'--An ode to Monsanto and other Genetically Modified Organsim food companies by Maimouna Youssef. Original lyrics by Maimouna Youssef. Directed and edited by Diallo Sumbryby. Note in the subtitles that it is illegal to grow organic food in Illinois!

Liz

8. TopTop #6
    CSummer

Re: An ode to Monsanto

"You know I still need to track it down, but I saw a video a few weeks ago that said that GMO's had been developed and were being used to make all males who ate it sterile." I believe this applies to male insects. But who knows what effects it may have on humans?"Note in the subtitles that it is illegal to grow organic food in Illinois!" Perhaps in the subtitles it is, but it seems very unlikely that it's illegal to grow organic food in Illinois! In fact, this web site lists several organic growers in IL.CS
    You know I still need to track it down, but I saw a video a few weeks ago that said that GMO's had been developed and were being used to make all males who ate it sterile. This is genocide without gas chambers or bullets.Meanwhile I want to share this creative and soulful video about GMO'--An ode to Monsanto and other Genetically Modified Organsim food companies by Maimouna Youssef. Original lyrics by Maimouna Youssef. Directed and edited by Diallo Sumbryby. Note in the subtitles that it is illegal to grow organic food in Illinois! Liz