Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

First they came for the lightbulbs... (Mother Jones)

The floor of a cave called and wants its bat-sh*t back
    ------
    First They Came for the Lightbulbs...

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.). Gage Skidmore/Flickr

The conspiracy theory behind Michele Bachmann's war on energy efficiency.
    —By Tim Murphy

Thu Aug. 4, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
    Few issues get Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) going quite like lightbulbs. At campaign stops across the country, she has repeatedly denounced a 2007 law that required manufacturers to develop energy-efficient lightbulb varieties. Bachmann sees the law as an affront to American values. "I think Thomas Edison did a pretty patriotic thing for this country by inventing the lightbulb," she told a New Hampshire audience in March. "And I think darn well, you New Hampshirites, if you want to buy Thomas Edison's wonderful invention, you should be able to!"

In reality, no one's stopping New Hampshirites (or anyone else, for that matter) from buying any kind of lightbulb they please—even the incandescent variety that Bachmann warns will be outlawed unless we pass the Better Use of Light Bulbs (BULB) Act that she supported. (BULB would repeal the energy-efficiency rules.) But Bachmann's crusade is about much more than energy-conserving bulbs: The Minnesota congresswoman is part of a movement that considers "sustainability" an existential threat to the United States, one with far-reaching consequences for education, transportation, and family values. If Bachmann is right, lightbulbs will soon be the least of our worries.
    Bachmann's concerns may have been best articulated in an interview she gave to the American Family Association's OneNewsNow in 2008. As Republicans in Washington revolted over the rising costs of gas, the then-freshman congresswoman outlined the stakes:

Read the rest at the Mother Jones web site
    https://motherjones.com/politics/201...enda-21?page=1
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Star Man

Re: First they came for the lightbulbs... (Mother Jones)

The conspiracy theory behind Michele Bachmann's war on energy efficiency.
    —By Tim Murphy

Thu Aug. 4, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
    Few issues get Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) going quite like lightbulbs. At campaign stops across the country, she has repeatedly denounced a 2007 law that required manufacturers to develop energy-efficient lightbulb varieties. Bachmann sees the law as an affront to American values. "I think Thomas Edison did a pretty patriotic thing for this country by inventing the lightbulb," she told a New Hampshire audience in March. "And I think darn well, you New Hampshirites, if you want to buy Thomas Edison's wonderful invention, you should be able to!"

I think Tim Murphy got his quote wrong. What I believe she actually said was, "I think Thomas Paine did a pretty patriotic thing for this country by inventing the light bulb."

I know this is disrespectful to our Neanderthal brothers and sisters, but I do want to notice that once again Michele Bachmann is demonstrating that she has a double dose of the Neanderthal gene. She's like a deer frozen in the headlights of evolution.

Star Man

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Speak2Truth

Presumably, posters here actually believe in freedom, especially individual freedom to choose. Free choice is what America is all about, right?

Quote In reality, no one's stopping New Hampshirites (or anyone else, for that matter) from buying any kind of lightbulb they please—even the incandescent variety that Bachmann warns will be outlawed unless we pass the Better Use of Light Bulbs (BULB) Act that she supported.
    How does that claim square with the Energy Independence and Security Act that in fact authorizes the Federal Government to dictate what types of lights may or may not be sold? Incandescent light bulbs are the target.

If you support Freedom to Choose, it seems you would support Bachmann's efforts to protect your freedom.

6. TopTop #4
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Speak2Truth: View Post
    Presumably, posters here actually believe in freedom, especially individual freedom to choose. Free choice is what America is all about, right?

How does that claim square with the Energy Independence and Security Act that in fact authorizes the Federal Government to dictate what types of lights may or may not be sold? Incandescent light bulbs are the target.

If you support Freedom to Choose, it seems you would support Bachmann's efforts to protect your freedom.
    I'm quite annoyed that I can't ride my twostroke dirtbike to town, just 'cuz it has no lights and can't come near passing smog test. I hate having no freedom. I could do it in a really free country like Guatemala.

s2t, your recent flurry of posts started with arguments of at least some semblance of depth - but the last few are just pushing aphorisms -- "america's all about freedom", "1% pay all the taxes", etc, where there's no pretense of bringing anything new to the table. That sounds like the definition of troll to me.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Speak2Truth

So, rather than address the statement you resort to personal insults. That's a dodge.

The original article stated AN OUTRIGHT LIE in order to ridicule Bachmann. Here it is again:

Quote In reality, no one's stopping New Hampshirites (or anyone else, for that matter) from buying any kind of lightbulb they please—even the incandescent variety that Bachmann warns will be outlawed unless we pass the Better Use of Light Bulbs (BULB) Act that she supported.
    My statement stands. If you do believe in the Right to Choose, if you enjoy your warm sun-lamps in the bathroom, or maybe want a replacement bulb for your Lava Lamp, or want specific types of lights to illuminate your movie set ... shouldn't you join the BULB group in standing up for your Freedom?

In fact, the LIE in the article tried to deceive you into thinking the Politicians, with their personal agendas and investments, had not seized yet ANOTHER power that they can wield to play favorites in the corporate/investment world. What light bulb manufacturer might have to toss more "lobbying" money at them to curry favor now?

Go look at that thread about Whole Milk and the government crack-down on it. You resent them taking away your Right to Choose, right?

Freedom. It's being taken away slash by slash by Fascists. Thanks to this article for pointing out that Bachmann is among those trying to defend your Right to Choose.

9. TopTop #6
    Star Man

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    s2t, your recent flurry of posts started with arguments of at least some semblance of depth - but the last few are just pushing aphorisms -- "america's all about freedom", "1% pay all the taxes", etc, where there's no pretense of bringing anything new to the table. That sounds like the definition of troll to me.
    Podfish, I called TROLL on S2T some time ago. I am very pleased you are in agreement. I look at the WaccoBB discussion list and see all the posts tagged "This user is on your Ignore List." and I feel so calm and serene. S2T cannot disturb my placidity with his/its inflammatory comments (I write "its" because you may recall I argued that S2T could be a computer program, an example of what I termed polimalware). If S2T is a computer program it will feel nothing in reaction to my calling it a computer. If S2T is an actual human being (something the content of its comments renders questionable), then it will probably feel impotent rage. Truth is spoken here.

10. TopTop #7
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    Podfish, I called TROLL on S2T some time ago.
    As much as I disagree with most of what S2T says, I don't see him as a troll. To me, a troll is someone who ignores or distorts the salient arguments people bring up and says things designed to irritate. While I find much of S2T's rap irritating, I see no evidence that he's saying things with the intention to irritate as opposed to trying to reason honestly. Not that his rationality and openness have been perfect, but then, the average level of rationality and openness displayed on WaccoBB (or in life in general) is not, IMHO, very high anyway. The only difference I see between S2T and, for example, you is the content: he's a right-winger and you're (like me) a left winger. I see no difference in the way his content is expressed that would justify a "troll" label. Mostly he hasn't accepted the arguments of you and others because people haven't made compelling arguments; they've mostly called him names and expressed disagreement without making compelling arguments for their positions. You can't call someone a troll for refusing to accept your position when you haven't bothered to make a compelling case for it.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #8
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    As much as I disagree with most of what S2T says, I don't see him as a troll. To me, a troll is someone who ignores or distorts the salient arguments people bring up and says things designed to irritate. While I find much of S2T's rap irritating, I see no evidence that he's saying things with the intention to irritate as opposed to trying to reason honestly...... You can't call someone a troll for refusing to accept your position when you haven't bothered to make a compelling case for it.
    I hope I made the distinction clear. It's not about the opinions themselves - it's about whether there's a case being made and the intent behind them. I try to be sensitive to that because sure, I walk a line myself on occasion -- I'll make a point in a deliberately confrontational way every once in a while. I also don't particularly want to use a blanket designation. But, in my opinion anyway, the nature of s2t's posts has been changing away from things that look like reasoned arguments to simple talking points, framed in a way to annoy rather than convince. That's trollism. How much trollism you must indulge in before you're a troll is a question I don't want to get into. But really:
    "Presumably, posters here actually believe in freedom, especially individual freedom to choose. Free choice is what America is all about, right? ... If you support Freedom to Choose, it seems you would support Bachmann's efforts to protect your freedom"
    That's supposed to help someone go "gee, you're right, I -am- inconsistent in my support for freedom!" ??? When I noticed I had stopped being engaged enough by his posts to argue with his points, but instead was just reacting out of annoyance to some of the random assertions in them, I was moved to make my comment.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #9
    Speak2Truth

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    "Presumably, posters here actually believe in freedom, especially individual freedom to choose. Free choice is what America is all about, right? ... If you support Freedom to Choose, it seems you would support Bachmann's efforts to protect your freedom"
    That's supposed to help someone go "gee, you're right, I -am- inconsistent in my support for freedom!"
    Are you?

Do you believe in freedom to choose Milk but not Light Bulbs? Why or why not?

Yes, in fact, I believe we should be consistent in our support for freedom. If there's a group of people trying to defend our right to choose what kind of light bulb best suits our needs then I support them. They're standing up against the same sorts of government bureaucrats who want to dictate everything else to us, including whether we can get raw milk or not. Good!!

Have you considered that it is your own emotional reactions to the points I make that dictate your response to my posts? It is your emotional reaction at being presented with a logical conclusion that disagrees with your prior programming that you are projecting at me?

This is a well understood phenomenon. It is something I suggest we all set aside in the Quest for Truth.

Brain bias, resulting from ideological indoctrination, shuts down processing of contradictory information
    https://www.livescience.com/strangen...decisions.html

"None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged," Westen said. "Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones."

This is a psychological study of the effects of bias met by facts that disagree with such pre-formed bias. In this case, the initiator of this thread played upon the bias of "We must despise Michelle Bachmann" and therefore felt free to LIE in order to sling negative ridicule at Bachmann. That has the predictable effect of making those with pre-biased feelings toward her (she's a Republican, after all) feel rewarded - and they would predictably resent and reject any FACTUAL DEMONSTRATION THAT IT WAS A LIE used to smear her in the first place. Instead, the person showing it was a lie becomes the target of animosity rather than the person who lied in the first place.

Read the article. It's pretty well explained how this works. It's a well understood psychological reaction.

THAT IS WHY THEY DO IT.

They're playing you.

15. TopTop #10

Not true. I got wind of the extinction of the incandescent light bulb in Spring of 2011 just in time to buy the last 6 boxes at Fairfax Lumber and Hardware. They're not making them anymore, they informed me. No more in the warehouse either. Now people are selling them on eBay.

Thank God I've got what I need for many years because I really dislike the eerie green glow of a toxic compact fluorescent bulb containing mercury that you have to call a HAZMAT team @ about $2000 if you happen to break one. And if you just want to dispose of one, you have to make a special trip to the hazardous materials part of your local dump and pay a fee. So much for environmentalism with this idea.

Liz

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #11
    Dixon

Liz, some of what you say about light bulbs is apparently mistaken. Here is the article in snopes.com (hoax/rumor/urban legend website):
    https://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #12

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon:
    Liz, some of what you say about light bulbs is apparently mistaken. Here is the article in snopes.com (hoax/rumor/urban legend website):
    Thanks Dixon,

To summarize, if you break one you do NOT have to call a HazMat team @ $2,000.

You have to don protective gear and follow these instructions:

As to the potential for harm posed by mercury escaping from broken bulbs, says the King County Hazardous Waste Program: "Crushing and breaking fluorescent lamps release mercury vapor and mercury-containing phosphor powder. These can be difficult to contain." Yet the recommended clean-up process does not involve calling in a HazMat team. Says the EPA in its advisory about dealing with broken CFLs:

1. Before Clean-up: Ventilate the Room
    2. Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
    3. Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
    4. Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces
    5. Carefully scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
    6. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
    7. Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes and place them in the glass jar or plastic bag.
    8. Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug
    9. Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
    10. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
    11. If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
    12. Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.Disposal of Clean-up Materials
    13. Immediately place all cleanup materials outside the building in a trash container or outdoor protected area for the next normal trash.
    14. Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
    15. Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states prohibit such trash disposal and require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Ventilate the Room During and After Vacuuming
    16. The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window prior to vacuuming.
    17. Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Maine's Department of Environmental Protection concurs, even though it affixes additional steps and cautions to the process: What if I accidentally break a fluorescent bulb in my home?

The most important thing to remember is to never use a vacuum. A standard vacuum will spread mercury containing dust throughout the area as well as contaminating the vacuum. What you should do is:
    • Ventilate the area.
    • If possible, reduce the temperature.
    • Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, safety glasses, coveralls or old clothing, and a dust mask to keep bulb dust and glass from being inhaled.
    • Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container.
    • Next, begin collecting the smaller pieces and dust. There are several ways to do this. You can use a disposable broom and dustpan, two stiff pieces of paper or one of the many commercial mercury spill kits available.
    • Put all material into an airtight plastic bag. Pat the area with the sticky side of duct, packing or masking tape. Wipe the area with a damp cloth.
    • Put all waste and materials used to clean up the bulb in a secure closed container and label it "Universal Waste - broken lamp".
    • Take the container for recycling as universal wastes. To determine where your town has made arrangements for recycling of this type of waste, call your town office or check out the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) website at
      https://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/hazard...p_disposal.htm Remember, the next time you replace a bulb, be sure to put a drop cloth on the floor so that any accidental breakage can be easily cleaned up.

In other words, you ARE the HazMat team and good luck with that ;-)
    Liz

20. TopTop #13
    sophiopia

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ubaru: View Post
    Not true. I got wind of the extinction of the incandescent light bulb in Spring of 2011 just in time to buy the last 6 boxes at Fairfax Lumber and Hardware. They're not making them anymore, they informed me. No more in the warehouse either. Now people are selling them on eBay.

Thank God I've got what I need for many years because I really dislike the eerie green glow of a toxic compact fluorescent bulb containing mercury that you have to call a HAZMAT team @ about $2000 if you happen to break one. And if you just want to dispose of one, you have to make a special trip to the hazardous materials part of your local dump and pay a fee. So much for environmentalism with this idea.

Liz
    again, liz, i couldn't agree with you more!! last time i checked, they were still selling incandescents at wally world. they've altered the wattage numbers, for some reason, but they're there. i know, wally world...ack...but they're there and cheap.

becky

21. TopTop #14
    sophiopia

i get a little vomit in my throat when i hear people talk about snopes. do what you will. i choose not to rely on their word.

becky

22. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

23. TopTop #15
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sophiopia: View Post
    i get a little vomit in my throat when i hear people talk about snopes. do what you will. i choose not to rely on their word.

becky
    like Wikipedia, it's got its weaknesses. It also shares some of the self-correcting mechanisms. Do you object because of its lack of rigor, or have they "debunked" things you accept as true?

24. TopTop #16

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sophiopia:
    last time i checked, they were still selling incandescent at wally world. they've altered the wattage numbers, for some reason, but they're there. i know, wally world...ack...but they're there and cheap.
    I didn't specify that I purchased the last 6 boxes of my FAVORITE incandescent light bulbs. The color corrected ones.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sophiopia:
    I've had weird experiences with Wikipedia too. If you've heard of Jim Humble's MMS, (a big threat to the FDA because it cures the big C and AIDS, malaria, all the flus, anything related to microbes, parasites, Lymes, diabetes, acne, gingivitis, you name it) he's reported that his wikipedia entry gets "corrected" by the FDA police within 30 minutes of putting in his own correct info. And they put in info to discredit the safety of MMS. So's I don't pay attention to Wikipedia as any sort of ultimate truth.

Liz

25. TopTop #17
    occihoff

What you say about mercury is very true! It is beyond my comprehension how this serious flaw in the technology of compact fluorescents could remain so hidden from public discussion and environmental oversight. I understand that the next generation of lightbulbs will probably be based on LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology, now commonly used in flashlights, once they succeed in creating bigger bulbs.

Liz

26. TopTop #18
    peggykarp

And your point is?

This article would make any reasonable person run out and stock up on incandescent bulbs!!

27. TopTop #19
    peggykarp

Dixon, anticipating your reply, let me rephrase that--it would make ME run out and stock up on incandescent bulbs.

28. TopTop #20

So's I don't pay attention to Wikipedia as any sort of ultimate truth.
    Do you pay attention to any source at all as any sort of ultimate truth? I certainly do not think that Wikipedia would claim to be any such thing. You should regard everything you read with open-minded skepticism, and cross-reference and check everything. However you might bear in mind that unlike most sources, Wikipedia has checks and balances built in to preserve the highest degree of accuracy and reliability that they can achieve. You should, for instance, read not only the article itself, but also the discussion page attached to every article where you will find a lot of supplemental information and alternate views, as well as statistics regarding readers' estimations of accuracy and reliability. This makes it a much better source than most for those with the patience to sort through things.
    When someone with a commercial interest in a product (and seems to be selling it at a very healthy profit) claims that it can cure everything from cancer to AIDS and a huge range of seemingly unrelated diseases I would advise setting your BS detector to high. Remember: extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

Patrick Brinton

29. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

30. TopTop #21
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton: View Post
    When someone with a commercial interest in a product (and seems to be selling it at a very healthy profit) claims that it can cure everything from cancer to AIDS and a huge range of seemingly unrelated diseases I would advise setting your BS detector to high. Remember: extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.
    apparently that's not close to a universally-held opinion.

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #22

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff:
    What you say about mercury is very true! It is beyond my comprehension how this serious flaw in the technology of compact fluorescents could remain so hidden from public discussion and environmental oversight. I understand that the next generation of light bulbs will probably be based on LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology, now commonly used in flashlights, once they succeed in creating bigger bulbs.
    From https://www.truthistreason.net/10-reasons-to-become-self-sufficient-and-10-steps-to-help-you-get-there

Change light bulbs to LED and not CFL. LEDs have a much longer life, better quality of light and a much lower power consumption. CFLs give off very strong electro-magnetic radiation and can cause irritability, headaches and more. LEDs will cut your energy usage by up to 75%!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pbrinton:
    Do you pay attention to any source at all as any sort of ultimate truth? When someone with a commercial interest in a product (and seems to be selling it at a very healthy profit) claims that it can cure everything from cancer to AIDS and a huge range of seemingly unrelated diseases I would advise setting your BS detector to high. Remember: extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.
    Sure, my truth comes from my own experience, research, and use of MMS. (Master Mineral Solution). I've read Jim Humble's book about his discovery of it in Guyana, and his extensive use of it in Africa to cure malaria and AIDS (hundreds of thousands of documented cases). I've seen his numerous letters to BIll Gates informing him of this, but who has not responded. I subscribe to his newsletter and am aware of his Church dedicated to no religion, but to educating people about MMS with a mission to cure the world of disease. (A legal structure set up to allow him to say whatever he needs to say).

I'm aware that he has had death threats and has structured everything to become public property should he be killed. He's one of many that have cured cancer and many other diseases, like Royal Rife, who is being smeared by the pharmaceutical industry who have too much to profit from maintaining the "official" word that cancer and other diseases have no cure. He spoke in his newsletter of the FDA police manipulating the correct data he puts in Wikipedia with untrue smear data within 30 minutes, and I can see that when I look at the history of that Wikipedia entry. More than once I've been to his websites and find that they've been hacked.

I'm a healthcare professional and I used it to clear my parasites. I know the molecular structure of MMS and it's anti-microbial and detoxification action in the body. In my circle, including Naturopaths, we love it and prescribe it to our patients. If you're a holistic health care practitioner worth your salt, you know that lowering the body's microbial load and detoxifying it will help it heal itself of most any illness, even seemingly unrelated ones.

And most disturbingly, I was an affiliate of Project Green Life who sold MMS, which was raided by an FDA SWAT team in July two months ago. It's not a good feeling to know they've put my data in their database. So I have quite a bit of evidence and personal experience for what I wrote about not necessarily trusting Wikipedia for good information, particularly if it threatens the ruling elite.

Jim Humble is not out to get rich. The product costs pennies per dose. I recommend it for everyone's apothecary for the common cold, the common flu, to the weird flus to your teenager's acne. You can easily heal gingivitis and tighten teeth in 10 days to avoid expensive gum surgery or implants. The list of things it will cure is very long. And eventually you'll run into someone whose life you can save with it.

Currently it's still available at www.a2zheathproducts.com as well as many other sources. (Cross fingers). What you need is one bottle of Sodium Chlorite Solution 4 fl.oz. - $20.00 and one bottle of Citric Acid - 50% Solution $20.00 - Click Here to Purchase Depending on your usage these 2 bottles will last you years. If you refrigerate them, Sodium chlorite solution has a shelf life of 6 years and Citric Acid 50% will get weaker after a year and a half.

Go to www.jimhumble.biz for Protocols 1000-4000 and for his 21 protocols and simple instructions on how to mix these two products to activate them. With the new 50% Citric Acid solution you only need 1 drop citric acid to 1 drop Sodium Chlorite Solution. I'd copy and paste these instructions for your own files as he and his work are in the cross hairs of the FDA/pharmaceutical industry. He also gives instructions with protocol 4000 on how to make it yourself if the product becomes unavailable. While you're there, click on his new book and you'll be able to download the first part for free. As of this writing, his site is not hacked.

First they came for the light bulbs.....then they came for the MMS ;-)

I hope this info is helpful to some of you.

Be well,

Liz

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #23
    Glia

There's an article in the September issue of Wired magazine about the race to find the successor of the incandescent light bulb. And they noticed the mercury content and disposal issues with the compact florescent bulbs. The LEDs are coming along well and may well be the defacto standard until organic LED panels are commercially viable.

The incandescent bulb is terribly inefficient and really has got to go. Without the prod of legislation, we would be puttering along with the same-old same-old and there would be no effective impetus to come up with something better and more efficient. Finding funding for R&D would be more difficult as well.

Of course we all need to be vigilant about excessive reach of governments and the slippery slope into totalitarianism. However, Bachman, et al do seem to be overreacting on this one, IMO.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    What you say about mercury is very true! It is beyond my comprehension how this serious flaw in the technology of compact fluorescents could remain so hidden from public discussion and environmental oversight. I understand that the next generation of lightbulbs will probably be based on LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology, now commonly used in flashlights, once they succeed in creating bigger bulbs.

35. Gratitude expressed by: