Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Paul Fritz

CVS/Chase Development: Is it appropriate for Downtown Sebastopol?

by Paul Fritz
    WaccoBB.net

The proposed CVS/Chase Bank development in downtown Sebastopol was recently approved on appeal by the City Council after being denied approval by the Planning Commission. This is an unfortunate by not surprising result. It is unfortunate because the proposed development is very auto-oriented and suburban in character and it will not enhance the mixed-use pedestrian-friendly downtown many of us, including our city leaders, have called for as being desirable in the core of our community. It is not surprising because our General Plan and Zoning code do not fully support a mixed-use pedestrian-friendly urban environment downtown.

Town centers have traditionally been the focus of economic and community activity in cities since the beginning of human settlement. These centers have always supported commerce and social engagement in a mutually supportive manner. Focusing the sale of goods and services in areas surrounded by residential districts makes it efficient to get the things you need to conduct your daily life. This in turn has supported community interaction by creating natural meeting places in locations people go about their daily business in an area they can reach on foot, which has been the most common means of locomotion throughout human history. In the past 100 years, and in particular since the second world war, with the increase in car ownership that focus has been lost in many places to suburban development patterns that are designed to efficiently move cars at the expense of creating environments that support people and community.

Photo Simulation - View from Sebastopol Avenue looking West

We are all too familiar with these environments. Some local examples of auto-centric development are most of the entire stretch of Gravenstein Hwy South, Redwood Marketplace and the Pacific Market shopping center. Closer to downtown there is Rite Aid, the Whole Food shopping center and Safeway. Extreme examples are places like Santa Rosa Avenue. All these places were designed primarily for people to drive to. None of them are friendly for pedestrians or bikers. And you feel that as a pedestrian in those locations, you don't really belong there. Have you ever tried walking down Santa Rosa Avenue?

The project site is the former Pellini Chevrolet site at the corner of Petaluma Avenue and Sebastopol Avenue. The site is 2.45 acres, one of the largest lots remaining to be redeveloped downtown, and arguably the most prominent. This key site serves as a gateway to our downtown for people traveling from the east and south. The site should contain an urban, mixed-use, pedestrian-oriented development. The ground floor should contain retail, cafes and/or a restaurant with storefront windows on the sidewalk. The upper floors could be commercial office space or housing. Some may question the viability of these uses, but I think there is a need for both downtown. There are not many options for good quality office space downtown. The recently renovated building directly across the street from the site, at Petaluma and Burnett, filled-up soon after it was completed with professional offices. As for housing, there is also a need for housing downtown. Given the location it may not be the best site for a family housing project, but for young singles or couples, or even seniors, this could be a great location. Walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, shops and cafes and while the intersection has some traffic during commute hours, the rest of the time, like the rest of town, it is rather quiet. These types of uses will help support the economic vitality of our downtown by bringing more users in walking distances to all that downtown has to offer.

Given the current economic climate, it is difficult to finance and build such a project today. But rather than actively pursue a developer to make good use of the site, or work with the CVS/Chase developers to partner with a local developer to build a mixed-use project, it seems that we are willing to settle for whatever has come our way. There is an attitude that 'something is better than nothing' which I could not disagree with more. Something in this case is worse than nothing. We are going to have to live with the project that has been approved for this site for decades. And in the same way that the urban fabric of Main Street erodes as you move north due to strip shopping center type development, the CVS/Chase development will have the same impact on this corner of downtown. Less than 20% of the site area will be developed with buildings. The remainder will be sidewalks, driveways, parking spaces and landscaping. This is far below the density required to create a strong urban form. As a community we need to be more proactive, and less reactive when it comes to development. And while I sympathize with the desire of the owner of the property to sell it, I wish a more appropriate solution could have been found.

Downtown Sebastopol has a couple of blocks of decent urban fabric. The two blocks of Main Street between McKinley and Burnett have a good pedestrian scale (although the sidewalks are too narrow, and the buildings too small). There are a variety of storefronts that have a good connection to pedestrians strolling by.

Unfortunately this pedestrian realm quickly breaks down as you go north on Main Street due to the suburban developments of Rite Aid and Safeway, and to the south by the parking lot at Main and Burnett and the former gas station lot adjacent to the post office. And rather than strengthen our urban environment, the proposed CVS/Chase site plan will further weaken it. Even with buildings pushed to the sidewalk, as is appropriate, there is just too little development on the site and the street edge will erode away. We need to not only encourage good urban form in new development, we should demand it. If we are serious about creating a pedestrian-oriented downtown, this project should be a wake up call to our city leaders. We must begin work on updates to the zoning code and general plan that will not allow any more of this type of development downtown.

Given the project approval by the council, we need to make sure the project design is as good as it can be.
    The project goes before the Design Review Board August 3rd at City Hall, at 4:00 PM. While the proposed building design is greatly improved over previously reviewed schemes, the site plan could still use some work. [You can see the most recent design submittal here] Moving the Chase building adjacent to the CVS, with a pedestrian walk between them to access the parking lot would help hold the street edge at the corner better, and make the whole project start to have a more urban feel. This would also leave the southern portion of the site open for possible future development. Eliminating the driveway onto Petaluma Avenue would reduce possible conflict points between cars and pedestrians. Cars would have to access the site via Sebastopol Avenue or Abbot, which may be less convenient for drivers, but are we designing our town for cars or pedestrians. Barnes Avenue is proposed to be relocated to the eastern property line. It should be designed as a road, with sidewalks and curbs, and not just a driveway.

Make your voice heard in support of good design and come to the design review meeting this week. Then contact your city council members and ask them to do what is necessary to support a pedestrian-friendly downtown through our zoning code and general plan so this type of project does not happen again.

Paul Fritz is principal and founder of Paul Fritz Architecture/Planning (www.fritzarchitecture.com) located in Sebastopol. He has over 15 years of experience in architecture and planning projects, including award-winning projects in multi-family housing, urban design, mixed-use and redevelopment. The focus of his professional practice for the past 10 years has been in affordable housing projects. He has a strong commitment to environmentally sensitive design. Paul believes we need to build higher density housing in mixed-use neighborhoods to create vibrant thriving cities, reduce our environmental footprint and preserve the natural environment we all cherish. He and his wife decided to buy their home in downtown Sebastopol because of it's close proximity to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. They enjoy being able to walk or bike to most of their needs and hope that everyone who wants that lifestyle is able to achieve it. You'll be happy you left the car at home.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: CVS/Chase development proposal

Nice article, but for me the emphasis on "urban" as the alternative to "suburban" was not the most favorable.

One of the things I LOVE about Sebastopol is its small-town feel, and "urban" is something I am glad this sweet little town is not. The observation that the sidewalks are narrow and the buildings "too small", while a negative from the author's POV, are things that I find to be an essential part of Sebastopol's charm. There are far too few places left that retain this intimate, small-town feel. And we only have a couple of blocks'-worth.

I appreciate that the architect who wrote the article is also trying to convey a sense of this same thing with the urging to avoid suburban sprawl, but I cringe at the thought of transforming into something more "urban." (I understand he does not mean SF :)
    Neither does it seem the only alternative to drive-thru suburban car-world has to be to fill up all available space. (Intersticial green spaces are nice for pedestrians.)

I agree with the basic premise, though, wholeheartedly, that to have pedestrian-scale development would be optimal. I wish the owners of the spot had some other wonderful option at hand. Too bad we don't have a wealthy consortium of locals to transform it in a more Sabastopolian way.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    scamperwillow

He is referring to urban as compact pedestrian friendly development whereas suburban means shopping centers with big parking lots and driving to them from widely dispersed neighborhoods. Paul, this is a great article - thanks!!

6. TopTop #4
    tommy

Re: CVS/Chase Development: Is it appropriate for Downtown Sebastopol?

Good points Paul, especially in the character of development... the auto oriented nature of the CVS/Chase project. I think it is important to understand the motivation of those proposing this project: the owner of the land, the Sacramento developer, CVS, and Chase. They are all in it for the money. Obviously... they have no other interest in this parcel than the amount of money they can make off it. They want to build this turkey, pocket the money, and leave. No doubt. We'll be stuck with this.

This is where the government is "supposed" to come in, to protect the public interest. Most people I know and have spoken to about this project prefer the kind of mixed use, small business, retail/housing mix that Paul refers to. I am sad that the City Council caved on this. I can only hope that Design Review will have the balls to reject this project, in favor of one more friendly to those of us who live here. Chase and CVS are already here - and they're best where they are, on the outskirts. Let this site have a use that would enhance our little town, rather than turn it into a Hwy 80 Sacramento type big box strip mall.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Shepherd

I greatly appreciate architect Paul Fritz' article. As someone who currently uses that area to shop at Frizelle-Enos, to go to garage sales at the old Pellini building, and to use that short road east of the current building, I would prefer that it stay this way. Or find some other small town character use that does not further congest and pollute that area.

Though I understand the legal arguments made by City Council members, I want to appreciate Sarah Gurney for voting against this CVS/Chase development. Let's try to persuade at least two other councilmembers--perhaps Guy and Michael?--to give more weight to the growing community opposition to this problematic development. I am concerned that it could lead to a precedent of similar such developments, thus further eroding the essence of what we love so much about our town. CVS is fine where it currently is, in my opinion. I consider this struggle and that against the Laguna Vista to have to do with retaining the integrity of Sebastopol and its soul.

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Paul Fritz

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    He is referring to urban as compact pedestrian friendly development whereas suburban means shopping centers with big parking lots and driving to them from widely dispersed neighborhoods. Paul, this is a great article - thanks!!
    Thanks Marty - that is exactly what I am referring to. I consider the good parts of downtown Sebastopol, Main Street in particular, to be 'urban'. There are obviously many different levels of urban, places like Manhattan would be one extreme, but small towns can be urban in their own way and that is what I am advocating for in downtown Sebastopol.

11. TopTop #7
    dustyfilly

nobody really shops at Rite=Aid.....WE DO NOT NEED THIS, PUT IN A PLAYGROUND/NATIVE PLANT GARDEN!!!

12. TopTop #8
    It's just the way this thing was pushed through the system without any public consideration. I don't know ANYONE who knew about this meeting on July 5th. People were out of town and I, personally didn't see this meeting posted anywhere. The first time I heard about it was when the "intent to develop" signs went up on the subject property. That was weeks after the fact. From what I understand, only one board member suggested the vote be delayed because of poor public representation at the meeting. Regardless, this thing was pushed through; rushed to approval. This project wreaks of inside interests. How in the world does Sebastopol benefit!?! This was deceptive and irresponsible of those very few who were put in this position to represent the needs of the community. Then under cover of night, they take the side of corporate entities versus the town they're suppose to serve. It stinks. Is it legal? Does anyone know why this council ignored the decision of the planning board? Chase, CVS, the developers and whoever else's pockets are lined by this project are the winners. Not Sebastopol. If this thing goes, it sets a dangerous precedent that signals the beginning of the end. The very first impression of visitors to Sebastopol will be the CVS logo.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #9
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dustyfilly: View Post
    nobody really shops at Rite=Aid.....WE DO NOT NEED THIS, PUT IN A PLAYGROUND/NATIVE PLANT GARDEN!!!
    Who's going to pay for that??

15. TopTop #10
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eeeeeeow: View Post
    It's just the way this thing was pushed through the system without any public consideration. I don't know ANYONE who knew about this meeting on July 5th. People were out of town and I, personally didn't see this meeting posted anywhere. The first time I heard about it was when the "intent to develop" signs went up on the subject property. That was weeks after the fact. From what I understand, only one board member suggested the vote be delayed because of poor public representation at the meeting. Regardless, this thing was pushed through; rushed to approval. This project wreaks of inside interests. How in the world does Sebastopol benefit!?! This was deceptive and irresponsible of those very few who were put in this position to represent the needs of the community. Then under cover of night, they take the side of corporate entities versus the town they're suppose to serve. It stinks. Is it legal? Does anyone know why this council ignored the decision of the planning board? Chase, CVS, the developers and whoever else's pockets are lined by this project are the winners. Not Sebastopol. If this thing goes, it sets a dangerous precedent that signals the beginning of the end. The very first impression of visitors to Sebastopol will be the CVS logo.
    Well in fairness it was posted many times here on Wacco - urgently. Lots of discussion too: https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?80014-CVS-Chase-development-proposal/ More than 500 people signed the petition and they were urged to go to the meeting. I went and expected to see lots of people there after the uproar here on Wacco, but nobody came. They say they overrode the Planning Commission because they were not given any "findings" on why the PC turned it down so their hands were kinda tied. I agree with a lot of what you say though.....

16. TopTop #11
    zacharyalanstewart

I had a feeling the word "urban" would rub people the wrong way. It is important to remember that around the turn of the century Sebastopol was more "urban" in the sense Paul is using it- all the houses and businesses were gathered as close as possible to main street, with as many businesses and dwellings per building as possible.
    It is also important to remember that when we are talking about "urban" in terms of population density and centralization, the outcome in our case is most likely going to look a little like the affluent parts of Haight Street surrounded by a green belt, NOT like Union Square.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #12
    Helen Shane

Support the
    Challenge of Approval of the
    CVS/Chase Project
    by the Sebastopol City Council
    Flawed Mitigated Negative Declaration
    **(Developer Armstrong Development Corp)

The Committee for Small Town Sebastopol has petitioned the Sonoma County Superior Court to order the City to either justify its declaration that this project has minimal environmental consequences or to require the developer to do an EIR. California environmental law (CEQA) requires projects expected to have significant environmental impact to be scrutinized with an Environmental Impact Report (EIR). An EIR proposes ways to mitigate significant negative impacts. An EIR reveals to the community pros and cons of proposed new development. The EIR also requires that there be stated alternatives to the project as proposed.

The Committee for Small Town Sebastopol believes that, in the light of several major proposed developments (e.g. Barlow and Laguna Vista) that will significantly impact levels of traffic, greenhouse gas emissions, and other environmental factors in our community, the City must require an adequate Environmental Impact Report of the CVS/Chase project so that the community can make an informed decision.

John Kramer, Helen Shane, Jane Nielson
    for the Committee for Small Town Sebastopol

If you concur, you may do one of three things:
    Respond to this message with your name as a supporter of
    Committee for Small Town Sebastopol
    and/or send check or money order to
    Committee for Small Town Sebastopol,c/o Shane327 Neva Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
    No cash by mail, please.

**For more information on the Armstrong Development Corp, whose client base includes WalMart, Lowes and many others go to https://www.armstrongdev.com/prefdev.asp, then click on Company brochure and learn more about them.
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...astopol-group-

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #13
    Owltalk

What really concerns me more than moving CVS being a very poor strategy for Sebastopol, is that what is going to happen to all the other businesses in that same shopping center when CVS moves? They all depend on CVS to bring the foot traffic over there. CVS leaving could start a downward spiral for the all those other businesses we may visit during a trip to CVS because it's convenient once we are there. It could kill the whole shopping center, especially in these times. I notice that some of the businesses here in town seem to be struggling already in this crappy economy. My feeling is that CVS would be better off by doing some things to add more charm and character to the current shopping center and by trying to make that shopping center a more organic place so that it will continue to attract other businesses to that center. I remember years ago in a town I lived near there was a new shopping mall that had one large retail chain department store that brought in a large amount of traffic and then that store pulled out. They eventually had to shut down the entire mall. It sat out in the middle of a big field area vacant. So I worry about the consequences. I know that this is not a big mall but it is part of our city that most of us are very proud of.

/SIZE]
    [/FONT]
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    Support the
    Challenge of Approval of the
    CVS/Chase Project
    by the Sebastopol City Council
    Flawed Mitigated Negative Declaration
    **(Developer Armstrong Development Corp)

The Committee for Small Town Sebastopol has petitioned the Sonoma County Superior Court to order the City to either justify its declaration that this project has minimal environmental consequences or to require the developer to do an EIR. California environmental law (CEQA) requires projects expected to have significant environmental impact to be scrutinized with an Environmental Impact Report (EIR). An EIR proposes ways to mitigate significant negative impacts. An EIR reveals to the community pros and cons of proposed new development. The EIR also requires that there be stated alternatives to the project as proposed.

The Committee for Small Town Sebastopol believes that, in the light of several major proposed developments (e.g. Barlow and Laguna Vista) that will significantly impact levels of traffic, greenhouse gas emissions, and other environmental factors in our community, the City must require an adequate Environmental Impact Report of the CVS/Chase project so that the community can make an informed decision.

John Kramer, Helen Shane, Jane Nielson
    for the Committee for Small Town Sebastopol

If you concur, you may do one of three things:
    Respond to this message with your name as a supporter of
    Committee for Small Town Sebastopol
    and/or send check or money order to
    Committee for Small Town Sebastopol,c/o Shane327 Neva Street, Sebastopol, CA 95472
    No cash by mail, please.

**For more information on the Armstrong Development Corp, whose client base includes WalMart, Lowes and many others go to https://www.armstrongdev.com/prefdev.asp, then click on Company brochure and learn more about them.
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...astopol-group-

21. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

22. TopTop #14
    sandy r

I think we all realize that this location presents opportunities and problems- It clearly is a HUB- where main highways intersect-
    as such it could be a site of transition of public/private transportation- perhaps a bus stop/parking area that includes: solar charging station, a car lot for zip cars for short local trips, and a public bike rental station.... something like this (in the hands of people who know how to do it) could take advantage of the location in a way that could enhance Sebastopol for the long term, and take a little better care of the planet!.

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #15
    Bruce Rhodes
    Supporting Member

Now this is a great solution to turn this lot into a hub for the town of Sebastopol. This would be a real occupation of our community. It will also be a very profound statement of whom we are in this over stripped mall coportized America.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #16
    Attic

If we have council members that are being swayed by special interests it is time to get rid of them. Do council members have to be local?

27. TopTop #17
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Attic: View Post
    Do council members have to be local?
    Yes. I believe they need to reside inside the city limits.

28. TopTop #18
    Attic

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Yes. I believe they need to reside inside the city limits.
    Ah well that's a relief. At least we can have some hope of them having the local interests in mind.

29. TopTop #19

There is a design review board meeting this Wednesday, Nov. 2nd at 4:00pm. Does anyone know if this is on the agenda? If it is - it is imperative everyone attend the meeting. Spread the word. Tell everyone you know. There are so many people with whom I talk about this project and I get the same answer: WE HAD NO IDEA! Also, why are these meeting always scheduled during work hours? I'm sure we'd have more in attendance if they were held after 5:00pm.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2011 at 06:10 PM.

30. TopTop #20
    Peter Schurch

There's no scheduled discussion of CVS/Chase on the agenda for this Wednesday's meeting:

https://ci.sebastopol.ca.us/sites/de...drb_agenda.pdf

31. TopTop #21
    treasure

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peter Schurch: View Post
    There's no scheduled discussion of CVS/Chase on the agenda for this Wednesday's meeting:

https://ci.sebastopol.ca.us/sites/de...drb_agenda.pdf
    Thanks for the information, Peter. Could you also let us know:
    *Why the DRB meets at 4 p.m.?
    *If the DRB could meet after 5 p.m. when a proposal of high importance to many Sebastopol residents is on the agenda?

32. TopTop #22
    Helen Shane

Posting for Bill Shortridge:

I attended the Rotary/City Council meeting Monday night the 23rd and walked away stunned at the enthusiasm exhibited by most of the attendees for the CVS and Chase projects represented by Armstrong Developers.

I say Rotary/Council meeting because it soon became clear that 99% of the supporters of these two projects were wearing yellow stickers that had been passed out by the property owners in question, and that apparently they were, for the most part, members of the two Rotary clubs in town, as is one of the Council members and her husband.

While I think Rotary is a fine organization, and does great work in many areas of the world, their focus is on business so their support was no surprise. It was a stacked deck.

Regardless, I was still saddened to hear people so willing to allow our city to be defined by corporations like CVS and Chase Bank. All across America, downtowns are being slowly removed from the map and replaced by chain stores and strip malls. The results are an anonymous society insulated by the automobile. And cleaner air is not a by-product of this sort of development: a huge, brown, automobile-centric box with a drive-thru window and 100 parking spaces in the middle of rustic downtown Sebastopol.

These two corporate models rejects, especially CVS. Have no relation to the rest of the warm, friendly architecture of Sebastopol. The overpowering presence of this big box will so dilute the, feel, the integrity and the sense of small town identity. This overwhelming box makes on attempt to fit in surrounding scale and rhythm of the rest of the town. It is a soulless look at the very center of our own sweet town.

Bill Shortridge
    Sebastopol
    707 331 8150

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #23
    Garnette

too bad people wouldn't just refuse to use either of them.. I won't but I don't need to. i'm still waiting for two way traffic and the train to run down main street again.. now that was exciting and something to see

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    Posting for Bill Shortridge:

I attended the Rotary/City Council meeting Monday night the 23rd and walked away stunned at the enthusiasm exhibited by most of the attendees for the CVS and Chase projects represented by Armstrong Developers.

I say Rotary/Council meeting because it soon became clear that 99% of the supporters of these two projects were wearing yellow stickers that had been passed out by the property owners in question, and that apparently they were, for the most part, members of the two Rotary clubs in town, as is one of the Council members and her husband.

While I think Rotary is a fine organization, and does great work in many areas of the world, their focus is on business so their support was no surprise. It was a stacked deck.

Regardless, I was still saddened to hear people so willing to allow our city to be defined by corporations like CVS and Chase Bank. All across America, downtowns are being slowly removed from the map and replaced by chain stores and strip malls. The results are an anonymous society insulated by the automobile. And cleaner air is not a by-product of this sort of development: a huge, brown, automobile-centric box with a drive-thru window and 100 parking spaces in the middle of rustic downtown Sebastopol.

These two corporate models rejects, especially CVS. Have no relation to the rest of the warm, friendly architecture of Sebastopol. The overpowering presence of this big box will so dilute the, feel, the integrity and the sense of small town identity. This overwhelming box makes on attempt to fit in surrounding scale and rhythm of the rest of the town. It is a soulless look at the very center of our own sweet town.

Bill Shortridge
    Sebastopol
    707 331 8150