Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Thad

Homelessness and panhandling in Sebastopol and beyond

Here's an answer to this thread posted in General Community

https://NestofThePhoenix.Org
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Hotspring 44

Re: Homelessness and panhandling in Sebastopol and beyond

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    Here's an answer to this thread posted in General Community
    https://NestofThePhoenix.Org
    Hi Thad, I read that link.
    There are really excellent ideas there.
    Is there anyplace in N Cal that is doing anything like that that you know of that I could visit?... ...Or is there anywhere else?... ... If so; how is it working? Any details available?... ...Is it in US or elsewhere?
    I really like those ideas and would seriously consider participating in something like that.

4. TopTop #3
    Thad

Its one of those weird things that happens when ideas come before their time yet the pieces are there to work with, and it will either be before or it will happen after, Its better that it happens before, perhaps then there might be no need to hope for something to be here after.

The foreclosure events are making the minds that can do this more human as they find themselves in as pitiful a condition as people they ridiculed in the past. Disaster has a not so funny way of humanizing people.
    Interesting weaning process from narcissism

I want to do it, there's alot of good reasons to indicate its success, But it needs the name, Nest of The Phoenix

and a theater treatment of one day in the life of it....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post
    Is there anyplace in N Cal that is doing anything like that that you know of that I could visit?... ...Or is there anywhere else?... ... If so; how is it working? Any details available?... ...Is it in US or elsewhere?
    I really like those ideas and would seriously consider participating in something like that.

5. TopTop #4
    Thad

There is something that is close to this that has the picture of what this could be after

https://www.windward.org/

Its in Washington State

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post

6. TopTop #5
    Thad

Taxonomy and Parataxic distortion

an excerpt from the fine print at Windward

https://www.windward.org/windward/fine.htm

Parataxic distortions

Taxonomy is the study of the art and science of naming things. It's one of the essential elements of communication, since we have to agree on the names for things in order to know what each other is talking about.
    It doesn't do much good for me to tell you that I'm going to be working with the backhoe today, if you don't know what a backhoe is.
    The greater a person's taxonomic skill, the more precise their capacity to communicate.
    Lincoln once asked a reporter a question. He asked, "If you called a tail a leg, how many legs would a dog have?" The reporter answered, "Five." to which Lincoln replied, "No, the dog would still have four legs. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one."
    The art and science of calling things by their true names is important. It's also important to remember that this is a one way street.
    The map is not the same thing as the territory it represents, and any real thing is more than the sum of its names.
    Sometimes names can be informative, and sometimes misleading, and effective communication is often a matter of attention to semantic detail.

A parataxic distortion comes about when we try to use terms, not to describe reality, but rather in an attempt to delineate it.
    When people name a thing, they call forth an array of assumptions, only a portion of which may be accurate.
    The act of naming enhances the perception of one set of characteristics, and lessens the perception of others.

This editing of reality is a parataxic distortion, and it can greatly impair the process of getting to know others and yourself. Each of us has a gender, a racial background, an age, etc., and while these are authentic components of who we are, each of us is much more than the sum of these labels.

Each of us plays various roles in society, but our essential essence is more than the sum of the roles we play. It's all too easy to use labels as substitutes for getting to truly know each other. It's all too easy to allow the parataxic distortions to mask over the authentic human being that exists underneath all those labels and roles.

It takes time and effort to work your way past the labels and masks, and to really get to know people - who they really are and why they do what they do - but it's worth it.

There's a deep hunger in the human soul to be known and valued for who and what you are, and the only way we can meet that need is by doing it together.
    One advantage of the cooperative lifestyle is that there's time to do this. One disadvantage is that much of the process is automatic, and even if you wanted to, you wouldn't be able to avoid getting to know people, including yourself, as complex individuals instead of prescribed roles. The result isn't all neat and tidy, but it is authentic and rich.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    There is something that is close to this that has the picture of what this could be after

https://www.windward.org/

Its in Washington State