Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    banana

Looking for an organic strawberry farm for self picking....

Hi there,

we are out here in Sonoma for the summer and would love to fill our tummies with some fresh organic strawberries from a self pick farm.
    We are based in Sebastopol and would be grateful for your help to find a good location!

Thanks

Jana
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Looking for an organic strawberry farm for self picking....

I'm not sure so much about self-picking, but the best strawberry farm I know of is on Highway 12, between Llano Rd. and the Sebastopol Grange Hall.

3. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

Re: Looking for an organic strawberry farm for self picking....

My Kokopelli Farm offers a U-Pick component for our artisan, holistic boysenberry crop, which should be ripe by around June 20 or so. It is a local berry that was first cultivated by Rudolph Boysens in Napa County. Following are some details. If it might interest you, please leave a message at (707) 829-8185.
    Shepherd

Boysenberry Update

Given the late showers, it looks as if Kokopelli Farm’s first pick will start sometime between around June 20. Though food prices have gone up, as fuel prices go up, I am going to start with the same prices as last year, which follow, and see how the market evolves.

If you plan to use the berries for pie, jam, or to freeze, the two first pick weeks are the best, because the berries have a stronger taste (what some call tart) and hold up better. If you plan to only eat them fresh, they get sweeter more into the harvest, which should extend into mid-July.

Adults can pick their own, which gives you more control over which berries to pick. It usually takes an hour or more for most people to pick a flat of 12 berry baskets, an experience which can be quite enjoyable. It can help teach people to do what I call “berry yoga” and “to think like a berry.” Go Slow and Do No Harm are our farm mottos. We have excellent, experienced pickers, so we can also pick for you. We allow picking only in the morning, starting at sun-up, because that is when they taste the best, having filled up with the sweet darkness of the night. Yum! Yum!

We also host farm tours for people of all ages from families, schools, religious and community groups. We currently have free-range eggs available--$5 a dozen or $3 a half dozen. Everything is by appointment only, since we do not accept drop-ins. The more in advance that you reserve berries, the more likely you are to get them when you want them. We can sometimes fill last-minute urge-to-eat-berries orders. My main job is juggling the same amount of ripe berries, skilled pickers, and willing purchasers each day of the week during the quick month-long boysens harvest. Weekends tend to be the most hectic. We are also open July 4.

Our blackberries start in mid-July and extend at least into August. They are followed by golden delicious and Rome Beauty apples. You can reach the farm at (707) 829-8185 seven days a week from about 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. or at [email protected].

Shepherd Bliss for Kokopelli Farm

Call (707) 829-8185 between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m., seven days a week, to order and arrange pick-up time. If we do not answer, please leave detailed message on machine. Or email [email protected]. Pick-up near Hardcore Coffee at Hiway 116 and Bloomfiield Rd. By appointment only. Please do not drop in.

We-Pick
    * Basket $5
    * Half flat of 6 baskets $23
    * Flat of 12 baskets $39
    Wholesale: 3 or more flats $36 each

You-Pick
    * Half flat minimum (6 baskets) $18
    * Flat of 12 baskets $32
    * Wholesale--2 or more flats $30

Delivery can sometimes be arranged, for a fee.
    Good fresh, to freeze, or for pies and jam.
    Advanced orders recommended. Small and large orders welcome

“Boysenberry: A dark purple, velvety-looking, very large berry up to 1 and 1/2 inches long with plump juice sacs. Cultivated in the l930s by Rudolph Boysen in Napa. Sweet, slightly tart, very perfumy and juicy. Wonderful to serve fresh with sliced melons or cooked in pies, cobblers, sauces, jams and syrups.” Sharon Kramis, “Berries: A Country Garden Cookbook,” l994.

Blackberries from July into September

Golden Delicious Apples Sept. to Oct.,
    Rome Beauty Apples Oct.-Nov.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I'm not sure so much about self-picking, but the best strawberry farm I know of is on Highway 12, between Llano Rd. and the Sebastopol Grange Hall.