Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Paul Hobbs - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector

Paul Hobbes - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector

Paul Hobbes Underpermitted Clearcut To Vineyard

Approximate Location Of Clearcut

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

3. TopTop #2
    zenekar

Re: Paul Hobbs - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector, PARASITE

parasite |ˈparəˌsīt|
    noun
    an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.
    • derogatory: a person who habitually relies on or exploits others and gives nothing in return.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-02-2011 at 10:06 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    joan

Re: Paul Hobbs - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector-NOT

Your photos are awesome and frightening concerning one man's continuing greed. Via his own website, at one time it stated he went to college, firstly, to be a priest. Left, and then to UC Davis for agriculture. Second of eleven children.
    Doesn't matter really...just don't know what else to say. Where are Pocket Canyon residents in this clearcutting? Asleep?

6. TopTop #4
    gardenmaniac

Re: Paul Hobbs - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector-NOT

Quote Posted in reply to the post by joan: View Post
    Your photos are awesome and frightening concerning one man's continuing greed. Via his own website, at one time it stated he went to college, firstly, to be a priest. Left, and then to UC Davis for agriculture. Second of eleven children.
    Doesn't matter really...just don't know what else to say. Where are Pocket Canyon residents in this clearcutting? Asleep?
    Not all Pocket Canyon residents are asleep. We had a meeting with Paul, during which he answered many of our questions, then showed us his future vineyard. Some of my neighbors think we can work with him, that he will respect us, our needs and our concerns. Others, including me, feel outraged. If you think the photos are stark and shocking, imagine what it looked like up close and personal.

I do not trust him. He has been pushing forward without obtaining all permits, or even completing the required reports and studies. He claims his vineyard will be irrigated by gravity feed from the reservoir he is building. I wonder where he plans to obtain water during hot dry summer months when that reservoir is bone dry and the vines most need irrigation.

The neighborhood well is owned by Cal Water, and sits at the foot of Paul's proposed vineyard. His 2 hookups are supposedly for residential use only, but I wonder who or what will stop him when he turns on the tap and runs it to his vines. I worry, too, about the runoff of chemicals applied to the grapes, whether herbicide, fungicide, pesticide, or fertilizer.

Although some of my neighbors are quiescent, I appreciate the community's support to stop Paul's incursion.

7. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

8. TopTop #5
    brookefox

Re: Paul Hobbs - Pioneer, Trailblazer, Trendsetter, Prospector

I tried to find the assumed enlarged image in the assumed larger image but could not, neither could I find it in a closer scrutiny at g-maps. Z, if I may call you that, can you or anyone else clarify that for me? Thanks.

9. TopTop #6
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by brookefox: View Post
    I tried to find the assumed enlarged image in the assumed larger image but could not, neither could I find it in a closer scrutiny at g-maps. Z, if I may call you that, can you or anyone else clarify that for me? Thanks.
    Google maps does not give an up-to-current-date image, and the red oval only indicates approximate area of tree removal.

A higher quality version of the overfly picture made by the Atascader/Green Valley Watershed Council is at https://agvwc.org/images/HobbsHill/hobbshill02.jpg

and a topo map of the area - to see contours and elevation differences - is at

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.48917...96070&z=15&t=T

It shows the location of Pocket Canyon Creek, at the base of the hill, along Highway 116.

It is going to rain more this weekend and we are concerned about runoff into the creek. Any pictures of the area or creek and other observations will be greatly appreciated.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #7
    brookefox

Thanks, Zeno. I know g-maps cannot be/is not current but here they seem especially out of date. That lack of temporal congruity means one still can't place the one image into the other as I would like to but I am not in the slightest bit questioning that it would in fact be there, today. Perhaps there are other images at https://agvwc.org/images/HobbsHill/ which would help to visually contexturalize but for me access is denied.