Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    santarosie

kayak Monte Rio public beach to Jenner - Is this trip do-able in an afternoon?

I am organizing a one-way kayak trip, from Monte Rio to Jenner boat ramp. I've never done it but it looks doable, and wonder if anyone has any input or suggestions.
    Thanks!!!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bearstar

Re: kayak Monte Rio public beach to Jenner - Is this trip do-able in an afternoon?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santarosie: View Post
    I am organizing a one-way kayak trip, from Monte Rio to Jenner boat ramp. I've never done it but it looks doable, and wonder if anyone has any input or suggestions.
    Thanks!!!
    It gets pretty windy, on towards Jenner as the river widens. Watch the tides for a time it might be going out. Guerneville to Monte Rio can be a nice ride. Korie, in Monte Rio

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    AmyC

Re: kayak Monte Rio public beach to Jenner - Is this trip do-able in an afternoon?

Thanks!!!
    Hi Jill,
    Here is what Ann Dwyer's book says about this run: It is about 8.5 - 10 river miles from Monte Rio to Jenner.

Ann cautions the paddler about up river afternoon winds. I know this to be true from experience.

Here is exactly what the book says. I am not sure i totally understand everything. I typed it exactly as written.

Put in at Monte Rio: go 2.5 miles to Rien's Sandy Beach, SR 116 near the confluence with Austin Creek, 3 miles from Monte Rio (fee ) 707-865-2101 Parking and Cpgr.

.5 Miles to Casini Ranch Family Campgrounds ( fee ) 707-865-2255

1 mile to Duncan's Mills Camping Club Beach ( fee ) 707-865-2024 Parking, Drive to beach at NW end of Mocsow Rd. Bridge, kayak rentals

3 miles to Willow Creek Environmental Camp Sp 1 mile south of Jenner on Willow Creek Rd 875-3483 call for access. Parking I Rrm. 1.5 miles to Bridgehaven Campground 865-2473. Private road to campground and river ( fee)

1.5 miles to Jenner public boat ramp

Hopefully this gives you reference points and places to call to ask questions. Good luck and keep me in the loop if you set a date. [email protected]

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Spike

Hire a guide from Kings and have a safe trip!

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    jbox

Thanks!!!

Lots of flat water, wind blows upriver in the afternoon, long way. You should be a strong paddler. Good luck.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    rossmen

i did it in a rowboat, don't expect any help from the current and be prepared for headwinds. this is why its not a rental route.

Thanks!!!

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    santarosie

Re: kayak Guerneville to Monte Rio Sunday 5/22

Tides and recent wacky weather convinced us to try this section further up river. Planning to meet at 10AM at the Safeway Parking Lot in Guerneville before dropping off cars and kayaks. Rain or high winds will definitely cancel our plans. Thanks for all of the information and advice!!