Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

Death of toddler after circumcision probed

A 100% avoidable death caused by a 100% unethical elective cosmetic surgery on a child's penis.
    ------------
    Death of toddler after circumcision probed

Fri, May 6 2011
    By Aman Ali
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York City Medical Examiner's office said on Friday it was investigating the case of a 2-year-old boy who died shortly after getting circumcision surgery.
    Jamaal Coleson Jr. of Brooklyn died shortly after undergoing the procedure at Beth Israel Medical Center in Manhattan on Tuesday.
    The city is probing the toddler's death and hopes to have test results within the next two weeks, said Medical Examiner spokeswoman Grace Brugess.
    Coleson's family could not be reached for comment.
    The hospital issued a statement on Friday saying it had notified state and city health agencies about the "unexpected death" and was conducting an internal review of its own.
    "We extend heartfelt condolences to the family of the young patient in question," the hospital statement said. "This is a devastating event for his family as well as for the staff at Beth Israel who tried to save his life."
    Circumcision, the surgical removal of the foreskin of the penis, is widely practiced in many cultures, often for religious reasons. Most males circumcised in the United States undergo the procedure shortly after birth, about 1.2 million newborn males each year. Of those infants, 2 to 6 percent experience complications, usually minor bleeding and less typically shock from infection and even death, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Death of toddler after circumcision probed

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    A 100% avoidable death caused by a 100% unethical elective cosmetic surgery on a child's penis.
    ------------
    I could not agree more. What madness propels us to continue this horror? 2%-6% experience complications? There is no justification.

-Jeff

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Glia

Jeff, is that a rhetorical question, or do you want a real answer? The real answer to that question is rather long and anything but politically correct.

If you and anybody else wants to know, I'll take the time to write it up and post it as another thread in WaccoTalk.

- Glia

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    I could not agree more. What madness propels us to continue this horror? 2%-6% experience complications? There is no justification.

-Jeff

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Jeff, is that a rhetorical question, or do you want a real answer? ...
    Thanks, but I know all the history and excuses. There is no answer I'll accept. I'd call the act barbaric, but I don't think it was barbarians that did that to their innocent little children.

-Jeff

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    Glia

You'll get no EXCUSES from me. There are lots of reasons why this "senseless custom" as the IntactAmerica press release put it, is still with us in the 21st century -- and none of them have anything to do with good medicine or the quality of life of the boys robbed of their foreskins and normal sexual function and sensation.

And yes, calling it barbaric is insulting to barbarians.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Thanks, but I know all the history and excuses. There is no answer I'll accept. I'd call the act barbaric, but I don't think it was barbarians that did that to their innocent little children.

-Jeff

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: