Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    smonday
    Supporting member

Experience with Greg's Tires

I've been a loyal patron of Greg's for years, but have had 4 blowouts in 3 years with their used tires. They claim I'm the only one, that everyone else is happy with their used tires. I'm wondering. Anyone else have any unexpected problems with their used tires? A friend is thinking that they are perhaps getting substandard shipments of used tires, that were poor new tires to start with. I understand used tires are a gamble, but 4 in a row? I had never had a blowout in my life previously - also rarely had ever put on used tires.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Imagery

Re: Experience with Greg's Tires

Honestly, it doesn't sound all that abnormal. One tire blowout every 9 months? Not too bad for used tires.
    I've had a couple of flat tires on *new* (purchased new) tires in the last couple of years. I find that new tires make for the better investment over the long run, however, with better gas mileage, better wear, etc.

When I purchased used tires, I got some advice from my tire dealer. He told me to stick with the major brands - Michelin, Goodyear, BFGoodrich, etc. because the higher-end tires came off of cars where people could afford to maintain them. The tread wear was typically more even, and the tires were rated better. How to Buy Tires has a really good guide in reading the sides of the tires to know what you're getting, and hopefully you find it helpful in making decisions.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    vdeva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by smonday: View Post
    I've been a loyal patron of Greg's for years, but have had 4 blowouts in 3 years with their used tires. They claim I'm the only one, that everyone else is happy with their used tires. I'm wondering. Anyone else have any unexpected problems with their used tires? A friend is thinking that they are perhaps getting substandard shipments of used tires, that were poor new tires to start with. I understand used tires are a gamble, but 4 in a row? I had never had a blowout in my life previously - also rarely had ever put on used tires.

I use their used tires and drive perhaps less than you but have never had a blowout from a Greg's Tires used
    tire.

6. TopTop #4
    DeadwoodPete

I have had a similarly bad experience with Greg's. Mine was over a new tire they sold me, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Deadwood

7. TopTop #5
    podfish

I've been a loyal patron of Greg's for years... Anyone else have any unexpected problems with their used tires?
    I like them a lot - I've bought several tires there and had them do repairs. It's the kind of business I like to support. Small sample size, though, but I've had no troubles.

8. TopTop #6
    boB Phelps

Quote Posted in reply to the post by vdeva: View Post
    I use their used tires and drive perhaps less than you but have never had a blowout from a Greg's Tires used
    tire.
    Purchased a used tire about 6 months ago. Leaked from the moment I bought it. Also, it turned out to be smaller than the tire I had requested. Went to another used tire dealer on Sebastopol Blvd, just east of Stony Point. Better tire, better service.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    Deborah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by boB Phelps: View Post
    Purchased a used tire about 6 months ago. Leaked from the moment I bought it. Also, it turned out to be smaller than the tire I had requested. Went to another used tire dealer on Sebastopol Blvd, just east of Stony Point. Better tire, better service.
    Do you know the name of the place?
    Thanks,
    Deborah

11. TopTop #8
    paulswetdog

I have been buying tires from Greg's for about 20 years. I have no complaints. I usually buy Coopers, but recently got a nice set of lightly used Continentals for El Rojo Grande. I am happy going there, and will continue until I feel they are not treating me right.

12. TopTop #9
    Sabrina

I'll bet you that better place was Quality Used Tires that is also a used car dealer? He's great! His first name is Hans. I have 4 nearly new tires from him on my car. It's on Sebastopol Rd. in Roseland.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by boB Phelps: View Post

13. TopTop #10
    The Owl

I have been buying tires, new and used, from Greg's for years and have never had a problem. Feel bad for those who have had some. Curious as to how long some of these used tires were driven before they went flat? I only buy used ones when I'm temporarily short the price of new and only drive on them until I can get a new set... don't think people should expect used tires to last like new ones... a used tire is a gamble by its nature.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #11
    b.w. rose

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    I'll bet you that better place was Quality Used Tires that is also a used car dealer? He's great! His first name is Hans. I have 4 nearly new tires from him on my car. It's on Sebastopol Rd. in Roseland.
    This whole debate puzzles me. If you buy a used tire, you are getting a used tire. Why play roulette with the safety of your family while driving 101 or 116 and risk a blow out? If you want to buy local, there are at least two places in Sebastopol that sell new tires with guarantees, and Costco regularly has new tires on sale. I once worked for a delivery service in which the owner regularly put retreads on the vans that we drove. Once, I went sailing off a highway exit ramp and seeing tire tread flying by the windshield and ending up in a ditch was enough to convince me.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #12
    paulswetdog

I usually buy new tires, too. But, if a new car is sold, and the owner wants a different set of tires on his new car, what happens too the tires that are on the car? Right, Greg's sells them. The Continentals I got off a BMW probably had about 20 miles on them, if that. Still not cheap, but really good tires.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #13
    The Owl

Quote Posted in reply to the post by b.w. rose: View Post
    This whole debate puzzles me. If you buy a used tire, you are getting a used tire. Why play roulette with the safety of your family while driving 101 or 116 and risk a blow out? If you want to buy local, there are at least two places in Sebastopol that sell new tires with guarantees, and Costco regularly has new tires on sale. I once worked for a delivery service in which the owner regularly put retreads on the vans that we drove. Once, I went sailing off a highway exit ramp and seeing tire tread flying by the windshield and ending up in a ditch was enough to convince me.
    Right, buy locally - and don't forget, Greg's also sells NEW TIRES and at prices competitive with the corporate tire shops you mention. Greg's is known for sales of used tires but from this thread you'd think that is all they sell. Not true. I have gotten several sets of quality brand, new tires from Greg's and they stand by their work. Good place IMO... and, I know my money stays in the community.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #14
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by b.w. rose: View Post
    Why play roulette with the safety of your family while driving 101 or 116 and risk a blow out?.
    you don't get a choice as to whether you "play roulette" - that's the game you're born into, we all lose eventually. If you're lucky (if you have unlimited resources) you get more options as to how you bet. With limited resources you place your bets differently.
    There's nothing inherently unsafe about used tires. There's no way to make driving risk-free, either.

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #15
    Sabrina

With used tires you really need to check the tread and for bubbles in the sides of the tires. The person selling the used tire usually checks it out pretty well (if they specialize in tire sales). I believe both Greg's and Quality Used Tires in Santa Rosa sell new tires as well. I know that Hans is very careful about the tires he sells used. The ones I got were probably barely used like one person mentioned; maybe someone got a new car and didn't like the tires it came with? I know that if I'd had a problem with Hans, having a constant leaky tire that I'd just bought, or some sort of issue that reflected his service he would try to make it right. Never did business with Greg's so I don't know. And yes, some of us just can't afford to buy "new " tires and don't have credit cards. It was hard enough to afford the 4 good used ones I got (about $160 for four 15" tires).

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #16

Quote Posted in reply to the post by vdeva: View Post
    tire.
    I have had excellent luck with everything I've ever gotten from Greg's and I've purchased both used and new tires there.
    Have you considered our local roads? I had several blow-outs in a brief period of time (from stock tires, not tires from Greg's) and they seemed to be caused by our lovely potholes, which can cause both immediate blow-outs and enough damage that a tire's life is severely shortened.

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #17
    Praksys

I have done business with Greg's tires for many years. If I have a problem I go back to them and they take care of it.
    I would suggest the same to those that have a problem. It is a real dis-service to post publicly without trying to resolve a problem directly. Most businesses respond well. It is not fair to assume it is all the fault of the business just because someone has had the bad luck of having 4 blow outs. Maybe you drive hard, drive on bad roads, have bad luck or a combination of all three. Please think twice before going public because you can really hurt a legitimate business unnecessarily! An apology may be in order. Daniel O.

28. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

29. TopTop #18
    alanora

I have never purchased either, however re-treads and used tires are different. Retreads are commonly seen on the side of the road or layers of them....

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #19
    caspar

I have always been very satisfied with the new Cooper tires I buy from Gregg's. and it takes a few minutes to drive in and have them rotated for free every 3-4000 miles.

32. TopTop #20
    Gene

I used to love Greg's but they have changed. The last time I was there they wanted ridiculous amounts of money for used tires and the guy who helped me had a bad attitude. It seemed to me like they are more into the new tire business and not the great used tire place they used to be. For the comment above retreads and used tires are not the same. I had a retread come apart on me years ago and won't touch them now but a good deal on some slightly used ones can be a lifesaver when your running bald tires on a limited budget. Thumbs down on Greg's.

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #21
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gene: View Post
    I used to love Greg's but they have changed. The last time I was there they wanted ridiculous amounts of money for used tires and the guy who helped me had a bad attitude..
    I don't know about the attitude, but as you say, times have changed and so have prices. Been to Pick&Pull recently??
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a tire there. He quoted me a price before hunting down the tire; he couldn't find it and gave me a better one at the quoted price. (I know, it -could- be a sales ploy to make him look good. I don't think so...)

35. TopTop #22
    MichelleK

I have had problems with their used tires as well. I recently shopped new tires and they are more expensive than O Tires in Seb and Bennedetties(sp?) in Seb, just FYI.

36. TopTop #23
    Praksys

Piling on must be great fun for all you fairly anonymous people . Do you have any thing nice to say?
    Perhaps you could find something more constructive to do than whine about small things that affect real people trying to make an honest living. My dear grandmother used to say, 'be careful when you point at someone else, for three fingers are pointing back at you!' Daniel O.

37. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

38. TopTop #24
    Sabrina

Although I've never done business with this "Greg's Tires" because I live in Santa Rosa, I'm the one who recommended or enouraged going to Quality Used Tires in Santa Rosa after seeing Bob Phelps comment about them. I just know Quality used Tires has been good to me. But I do feel sorry for this Greg guys tire shop. Maybe if he's listening he can respond with his customer service policy to make things right for folks. Being in sales myself, all this talk about him could really be turned around to a great advertising promo for himself. Now that so many are a part of the thread, all he needs to do is respond w/ some great offer / amendment to the service / quality issues mentioned, for all to see.

39. Gratitude expressed by:

40. TopTop #25
    The Owl

Like I said above, Greg's has always been decent to me. I've been buying tires there forever and they always stand by their work, once I got a nail in a tire and they fixed it no charge.... and OF COURSE, chains like Big O are going to have lower prices on some tires, they are an arm of a corporation and get to buy stock in huge lots for less money, but the money you spend there leaves the community. Greg's tires are competitively priced, the people there are courteous to me and knowledgeable about their product and it's a local operation so my money goes there.

41. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

42. TopTop #26
    Sabrina

That's a great attitude. Although, if I have to get new tires....I'll probably go with America's Tire Co. in Santa Rosa. When I was in the business, they consistently had the best prices for new. And, sorry to say, when $ is an issue, and the local guys won't match the bigger guys prices...unfortunately Food comes first. That's where I try to get real local. But, used is my way these days, and Quality used Tires has done it for me for years. We used them constantly also when in the business and sold a car with better used tires than the ones we originally found the car with. No complaints.

43. Gratitude expressed by:

44. TopTop #27
    SebMama

As a local gal that knows a little about cars, I think that some people might need to learn a little too. One, tire maintenance. Check your air pressure! You can buy a BRAND NEW tire, get a nail when you leave the shop, and your tire will go low and eventually flat. Who's fault would that be? Second, if you then drive on that tire when it's low do you think that it will survive the trip? If you don't know how to check the air pressure, ask. I know that Greg's Tires will check yours for free.

I know that the reason people buy used tires is that they cannot afford new ones. I know that if I bought a used tire that "blew out" (this is a commonly abused term) I would be hesitant to buy another. But, I have gotten tires from Greg's and they offer a 30 day guarantee on the used. (although you can't get your money back after hitting that pothole on Lone Pine!) BTW you can pick up a nail in a used tire too, even right after leaving the shop. Four blow outs? Did the guys at the shop offer to help? Replace? Refund you? Discount? I'd love to know the follow up on that.

I prefer new tires, but boy they are expensive! I've seen articles about prices going up on all brands over the years. Come to think of it, a new CAMARO used to cost $2500 new. Now they are pushing $50k. Maybe I should blame the dealer... I usually call around to compare prices. I like supporting local, and Greg's usually meets competitors prices, but I know that big chains (or small companies that buy and join with a franchise) get to piggyback on volume discounts. And sorry, I don't have 2 or 3 hours to wait for my car with kids, work, etc. Greg's is usually 30 minutes average.

Plus when comparing new tire prices- let's compare apples to apples. I don't think that a local winery is going to like hearing how you can get 2 buck chuck cheaper and why should you get their $30 bottle. Goodyear, Michelin, etc, DO NOT compare to Kumho, Goodrun, etc. Call around, get prices on the SAME brand and the SAME make tire.

I guess when it comes down to it, do your homework. Talk to your local patrons with respect and approach your issues without that chip on your shoulder. Usually the people quick to fly off the handle and dis others strangely have problems everywhere they go. KARMA

45. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

46. TopTop #28
    Seadeva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MichelleK: View Post
    I have had problems with their used tires as well. I recently shopped new tires and they are more expensive than O Tires in Seb and Bennedetties(sp?) in Seb, just FYI.
    I've been buying tires at Greg's for more than 15 years. I've bought both new and used and never had a problem. I've never had to pay Greg's to fix a flat, it's always been part of the friendly, fast, service. He's given me valuable coupons for alignments and good prices on my tires. The service has always been beyond excellent. The used tires performed beyond my expectations. It makes me sad to see Greg's being slammed. So, I'd just like to say I've never been disappointed with the product or service at Greg's. It's my favorite tire shop and I consider myself to be a very demanding consumer.

47. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

48. TopTop #29
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

All this stuff about Greg's has been interesting; the only person I know who's gotten tires there was very satisfied, but let me just recommend Country Tires in Guerneville. I have been getting my tires there for 20+ years, and back then, when I had very little money, Mark would trade me used tires for the jewelry I made (and I was just starting, so it wasn't very good jewelry).

I have, of course, never gone anywhere else for my tires, and I've never been at all disappointed in the tires I've gotten there.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Seadeva: View Post
    I've been buying tires at Greg's for more than 15 years. I've bought both new and used and never had a problem.......
    Last edited by Alex; 04-17-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Shortened quoted text

49. TopTop #30
    thea71096

I've had great experiences with Greg's Tires. From trailer tires to four wheel drive to regular including used. They aren't the nicest guys but not mean either. Very business like which works.