Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Joe Rogan talks about DMT

This is mostly an audio clip , but it's well worth a listen for insightful and comedic take on DMT.

I had a minor DMT trip that just got me close enough to peek over the wall.
    I've wanted to return and go further but hasn't happened yet.

What's your experience with DMT?

Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Ruhkukah

Re: Joe Rogan talks about DMT

I've never done DMT but as someone who has read probably all of Terence McKenna's books at one time or another and listened to loads of audio tapes by him, I felt really annoyed by this clip. I found Rogan's juvenile delivery particularly obnoxious and he steals entire phrases from McKenna, who unfortunately left us many years to soon. 11 years ago today.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    oldbaldman

Anyone interested in DMT should read Rick Strassmen's book DMT - The Spirit Molecule, a very interesting account of the research project he did in the early '90s. Well written and very honest.

I first smoked DMT (the 5MEO-DMT version) in 1968. I've had experience with DPT and DMT since then and during the last year I met someone who extracts this magic potion (DMT) from mimosa hostilis root bark. High dose experiences put me in mind of Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita, beginning at verse 8, "You cannot see me with your normal eyes, therefore I give you divine eyes with which to behold my ultimate transcendental power." The visionary state the molecule induces can be that transformative. As with any psychedelic, set and setting are important. I prefer totally natural settings, preferably next to a creek in the woods, under the forest canopy in a secluded spot where I won't be disturbed. the high dose experience is truly astonishing, transcendant, ineffable. The formless source of conciousness and being is encountered. There is the sense of having witnessed emergence of thought from tissue, tissue from matter, matter from space-time, space-time from the multiverse, the multiverse from spanda. Lower doses are hyper-psychedelic visual displays. Anyone interested in psychedelics (who has no cardiac health problem or is not taking psychiatric medication), should try this molecule and it should be considered sacramental. Later today I'll be opening that portal and I'll try to report back.
    Last edited by oldbaldman; 03-15-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: oiginal is wrong, and dangerous

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    oldbaldman

OK, 60mg more or less taken in two hits about 1/2 hour ago. I was left weak kneed and somewhat breathless at about 15 minutes. Default conciousness totally replaced with alternate versions of reality before that. Anyone who says this is just visual is not holding the hit long enough. (count to 5) I will take a while to integrate what I just experienced. I'll say this. I am an atheist and I know that the experience was all in my head, but THAT'S in my head?!! WTF was it? I know what people are talking about when they say they saw god or became the universe. The visions echo still. It seems as though the thin veil of the default has been pulled back across the ??? Wave function collapse, quantum entanglement, time dilation all grasped. I feel changed but changeless. I had this before in various forms and it never fails to astonish. I can accept almost anything at this point.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    oldbaldman

Some hours have passed. I walked three miles, smoked some green med, and walked three more. I felt delighted and optimistic. Psychoactivity was gone but memories of the different ways information had been assembled seemed somehow available for application in the default state. During the exit from the visionary state, nature was excrutiatingly beautiful, seeming to embrace. I felt calm on the walk and at peace with some residual pain from a recent injury. The Molecule produces some kind of psychegasmic shock treatment. Afterwards things seem more manageable, experience has more textures, compulsions don't seem so compelling.

The experience often feels as though you are "riding the Molecule", that you are traveling through your nervous system and seeing the structures of the networks and tissues. All the information: current input, memories, and DNA coding, both hard-wired and fluid, is turned into impulse and the sense of direction of the impulses is changed continuously (you don't know if you are seeing in or seeing out). At times the knower seems to be schmeared across some external structure or structures which can result in there seeming to be another "entity" which you are in cahoots with due to the entanglement. On return, instead of seeing a world of things and noticing some of the details, I see a world of things and ALL the details. Each branch and cone and tuft of flora in the detritus is visible in vibrating detail. With eyes closed there is often a return through vast elaborate chambers of magnificent artifice and intricate shifting detail.
    It seems to be what Castaneda called an inorganic being. Shape-shifting doesn't seem as far fetched as it did especially in the dimension of ideation.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    oldbaldman

I agree with you on the annoyed and obnoxious. Videos of Strassman's subjects and a number of researchers and academics are available with a youtube search. They present some intelligent discussion of the subject.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ruhkukah: View Post
    I've never done DMT but as someone who has read probably all of Terence McKenna's books at one time or another and listened to loads of audio tapes by him, I felt really annoyed by this clip. I found Rogan's juvenile delivery particularly obnoxious and he steals entire phrases from McKenna, who unfortunately left us many years to soon. 11 years ago today.

11. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oldbaldman: View Post
    I agree with you on the annoyed and obnoxious. Videos of Strassman's subjects and a number of researchers and academics are available with a youtube search. They present some intelligent discussion of the subject.

Here's the website for: DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Here's the trailer for "DMT: The Spirit Molecule"

You can see the full movie streamed on Netflix here (account required) or on youtube for $1.99 here.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    oldbaldman

In my experience, everything said in the trailer is spot on. Note: Sonoma County Library has the book.

14. TopTop #9
    oldbaldman

It's been almost a week since my last event with The Molecule. I still have, if not a memory of the visionary state, an abiding sense of what it was. I've felt as though I've been fairly effective in accomplishing the tasks I've undertaken this week and it seems as though I'm more aware of patterns and relationships and have a deeper awareness of my body. During the last year I delivered a series of lectures dealing with a technical subject. I'm not a great public speaker, but on two occasions I smoked DMT within 12 hours before my presentation. At both those events I was more relaxed, my delivery was more fluid, I was better engaged with my audience (at least it felt that way). I think it's possible The Molecule improves performance in the short term at least. I wish someone would do some research in this area. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #10
    Glia

It would be intriguing to hear what the audience thought of this presentation.

but on two occasions I smoked DMT within 12 hours before my presentation. At both those events I was more relaxed, my delivery was more fluid, I was better engaged with my audience (at least it felt that way).

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #11
    oldbaldman

I have no scientific results, but in fact I got quite good feedback on both those occaisons FWIW.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    It would be intriguing to hear what the audience thought of this presentation.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #12
    oldbaldman

manifold of potential

I think the vision that occurs at the inflection point of a DMT event under the right conditions is the Manifold of Potential that remains after the boundary conditions that enable encapsulation of seperate objects and concepts are disabled. What remains is a view of pure impulse, formless, dimensionless, apparently timeless. It is ready to take on any attributes necessary for perception, sensation, ideation of all systems encountered through current input, memory, coded behavior. As The Molecule completes its journey the MoP reverts gradually to the default state, the one we use to operate in normal waking conciousness. Experiencing this process feels like being born new into the Default world. It feels like observing the world evolving from the cosmos, but it is, in fact, just a different way to experience the nervous system that animates our being, our meat body. It gives us a fresh look at the nature of our interaction with the world beyond our skin and within our skin. It is a seductive vision. There is a sense of mysteries to explore, knowledge to integrate, power to access. Just the memory is not enough.

21. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

22. TopTop #13
    Dixon

Re: manifold of potential

Makes sense to me.
    I think the vision that occurs at the inflection point of a DMT event under the right conditions is the Manifold of Potential that remains after the boundary conditions that enable encapsulation of seperate objects and concepts are disabled. What remains is a view of pure impulse, formless, dimensionless, apparently timeless. It is ready to take on any attributes necessary for perception, sensation, ideation of all systems encountered through current input, memory, coded behavior. As The Molecule completes its journey the MoP reverts gradually to the default state, the one we use to operate in normal waking conciousness. Experiencing this process feels like being born new into the Default world. It feels like observing the world evolving from the cosmos, but it is, in fact, just a different way to experience the nervous system that animates our being, our meat body. It gives us a fresh look at the nature of our interaction with the world beyond our skin and within our skin. It is a seductive vision. There is a sense of mysteries to explore, knowledge to integrate, power to access. Just the memory is not enough.

23. TopTop #14
    oldbaldman

I just watched the full 1 hour 15 minute video on Netflix and was moved by the articulate expression of the experience by the participants and struck by how closely aligned with my own experiences were their descriptions. It'll soon be almost 4 weeks since my last event. It is never been far from my attention, almost as if it's always present in the "second attention". Once in a while I slip into a mode in which the default state seem like the psychoactive state with the true nature of reality emanating from the Manifold of Potentiality that was observed during high dose events. My next engagement with The Molecule will be soon. I do find myself asking, "Is there real value here, is the world better for my having this experience (15-20 time in the last year) or does it amount to a form of mental masturbation?" Whatever the truth of it is, I know I want more. How about you, what are your thoughts about it?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

Here's the website for: DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Here's the trailer for "DMT: The Spirit Molecule"

You can see the full movie streamed on Netflix here (account required) or on youtube for $1.99 here.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #15
    oldbaldman

And more is what I got. 30 minutes ago, ~70mg and I still have a flicker but here I am, able to compute. Again, I don't know quite what to say. My friend says I was gone, and that sounds right. It is more difficult to speak than type. ?? I'm not sure yet what I've brought back this time. The quality seemed different somehow. I wanted to close my eyes but couldn't (I don't think) until I started to return, then it was through that undulating, cavernous structure. I've been taking a supplement this past week, mucuna pruriens (Solarray DopaBean) one with breakfast, one with dinner. I'm thinking there is some interaction. I thought I noticed that in the past. No more to say for now, except that it was truly astonishing.

dmT + 1 hour.. I'll just add this. The default state seems verrrry interesting. So many more possibilites are apparent. There is less of a sense of being "hemmed in" to the default patterns. The visionary state is still a backnote to the display. I meant to notice how time seemed but there was only the..., well, that, not this and that.

Later.. This time the event had not been in a forest under a canopy. The open sky was available as a projection screen, without the forest's agenda imposed on the event. Trees and shrubs surrounded, but at a distance, and seemed congenial. The manifold was more colorful than when viewed in shade or lower light. I would say the breakthrough interval was about 10 minutes, seemed like all peak, with powerful visuals for another 5 minutes, lesser so for another 5. The immersion had been immediate on exhalation of third hit. Material was vaporized in a water pipe through dried mullein. Then as described above. After an hour, I'm available for any necessary operation.

I just watched the full 1 hour 15 minute video on Netflix and was moved by the articulate expression of the experience by the participants and struck by how closely aligned with my own experiences were their descriptions. It'll soon be almost 4 weeks since my last event. It is never been far from my attention, almost as if it's always present in the "second attention". Once in a while I slip into a mode in which the default state seem like the psychoactive state with the true nature of reality emanating from the Manifold of Potentiality that was observed during high dose events. My next engagement with The Molecule will be soon. I do find myself asking, "Is there real value here, is the world better for my having this experience (15-20 time in the last year) or does it amount to a form of mental masturbation?" Whatever the truth of it is, I know I want more. How about you, what are your thoughts about it?

26. TopTop #16
    Glia

Sounds a lot like infatuation or being in love! It seems plausible that the DMT activates the same infrastructure in the brain.

... It is never been far from my attention, almost as if it's always present in the "second attention". Once in a while I slip into a mode in which the default state seem like the psychoactive state with the true nature of reality emanating from the Manifold of Potentiality that was observed during high dose events.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #17
    oldbaldman

Just so. In fact I mentioned to someone the other day that having The Molecule for an ally feels like having a mistress.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Sounds a lot like infatuation or being in love! It seems plausible that the DMT activates the same infrastructure in the brain.