Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

View Poll Results: What should be done about gas leaf blowers?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban all gas powered leaf blowers except for special usages like storm drains, roofs and tennis courts.

20 41.67%
  • Custom regulation: over time make commercial properties and parking lots vacuum instead of blow debris, restrict hours of usage, allow neighbors, upon request, to insist upon set two hour leaf blowing periods each week, and curtail city use of leaf blowers in parks and playgrounds, shift city to leaf vacuums, rakes and brooms.

12 25.00%
  • Simple regulation: regulate hours of usage between 9-5 Monday to Saturday and set no other restrictions

6 12.50%
  • Place no restrictions and leave things the way they are

10 20.83%

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    theindependenteye

Re: Leaf Blower Issue A Thorny Public Policy Debate

>>>Ditto on the yapping dog!! I mean my neighbors', not the Wacoons. (I keed, I keeed!)
    >>>You don't live in Forestville, do you Conrad?

Nope - Sebastopol. But it's probably the same damn dog, via the Web.

-CB
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #62

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cheingrand: View Post
    If I read his clear statement and try to assess what "...Lordbear could have meant (and I think did mean)...", I am putting my own opinions over the opinion of the writer.
    I am curious just how you would set about attempting to understand what someone says or writes without trying to assess what (s)he meant? Is that not the essence of understanding? Beyond very simple declarative statements, everything we say is capable of multiple interpretations, and understanding is the act of choosing between them. Sometimes in an effort to be concise people leave themselves open to interpretations that make their statements seem less than intelligent. In this case I would agree with Dixon that the statement could reasonably be interpreted either way. You chose the interpretation that made the statement seem ludicrously extreme, and in making that assumption rather than the more charitable one you also implied an assumption about the intelligence of the writer. Dixon, on the other hand, made the assumption that the writer did have some grasp of fairly obvious reality and that the omission of the qualifying words was inadvertent. Could we not avoid some of these annoying sidetracks by giving each other a little more credit for intelligence? Could you not, for instance, have asked for further clarification of a statement you found extreme by asking if this was really what he meant rather than jumping all over him for it?

Patrick Brinton

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #63
    leelomba

I would like to vote, but don't see what I'd vote for listed above. I think people need to be educated about how to use their leaf blower, when and how often.

I live next to an adult recovery center where numerous times residents have become obsessive about leaf blowing, I assume to replace their obsession with alcohol. Right now there's a guy living there who leaf blows EVERY MORNING regardless of if there are only 8 leaves. I smell its gas in my kitchen as I cook. I smell it at my computer where I desperately need to do my homework. Last weekend I had to go out at 7:30am and tell the guy that on Sundays he legally needed to wait until after 9. He looked at me, said ok, and turned around and continued leaf blowing.

This spurned me to an online frenzy of leaf blowing etiquette, and I found that in one other city—it might have been Santa Cruz—you had to have a permit to operate one, and in the permit training you learned proper etiquette. I think if people can't develop consideration on their own than it should be regulated. But these things need enforcement as well, unfortunately. Otherwise it's a mute point altogether.

I have a leaf blower myself, and I do use it. But it's electric and I'm conscious of how it affects others and I only use it once a month if that.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #64
    Mitch

I disagree with people who want less noise. Leaf blowers are our best shot at sticking it to the greatest number of people. They just ignore you when you wave your middle finger at them like the lunatic you are, so gun that engine, friend! Get the respect you deserve. Disturbing others is not only your right. It is your Constitutional obligation.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #65
    meherc
    Supporting member

I hope the Islamists don't too much noise when they're coming ashore. It's so annoying.. .I guess we all have our own brand of yappers.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    I don't have a leaf-blower next door to me -- I've got an endlessly yapping little dog that I wish someone would take a leaf-blower to. So I don't have a chicken wing in this soup, and won't argue for or against regulation. I suppose the leaf-blower people might claim a 2nd Amendment privilege -- when the Islamists come swarming ashore at Bodega, we'll whoosh'em out to sea and preserve our fabled Way of Life.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA