Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Feedback wanted on new look for WaccoBB.net!

Hi Everybody,

I am hard at work on a big upgrade of the software for this website. There are lots of great things coming, including a spell checker and some aids to impose some order on message titles (like requiring either "Sale", "Wanted", "Free", or "Barter" as a prefix in the For Sale/Free/Wanted category) and lots more!

One aspect of all this is to tune up the colorsand graphics/icons which is called its "skin". I am going to hire someone to develop a custom skin for us that reflects our values and our aesthetic. I would like your opinion on what you think would look good and work well for us.

So here is what I am thinking of passing along to the designer to summarize our values:

• natural
    • organic
    • green
    • progressive
    • alternative
    • low-tech/high touch
    • liberal
    • spiritual
    • boomerish
    • embodied
    • simple
    • clean
    • friendly
    • community
    How does that sound? Got any other ideas?

And here are some links to some examples of other skins on similar software to give you an idea of what is possible. I am very much interested in your opinion of these and any other feedback about this.

Some things to look for are the color scheme and the background graphic. Also note that some of fixed width and some stretch as you change the width of your browser window (called liquid). I prefer the liquid layout. Does anybody prefer the fixed layout? Why?

RawFoodsChat - a great skin - though not appropriate for us - some of you may be interested in joining this list. Note the use of icons and the grass border.

The rest of these all go to the site of the designer that I plan to use. Each displays the same information but presented in a different Skin. You can switch between the skins yourself by scolling down to the bottom of one of these pages and changing the drop-down box selection.

Here are a few notable ones:

1. Mystic Art
    2. Gorgome
    3. Firaun - Cool Egyptian theme
    4. Merkia
    5. TimeRun
    6. Wild West - Not for us - but a good example of skin conveying a feeling!
    7. Family
    8. Speedfire
    9. EvoBW
    10. EvoNature
    11. JungleBook2
    12. SpaceVision - Note the background graphic - cool but difficult to read
    I was thinking of having an old-time look - perhaps using a parchment scroll as a background. What do you think??

So please take a moment and post your thoughts as a public reply (unless you want to send something to me privately). I want to particularly invite the designers out there to participate in this process as we design our new home!

Thanks!
    Barry
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    nonybird

Re: Feedback wanted on new look for WaccoBB.net!

I like the new look. But why am I receiving WaccoBB.net a day late?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-10-2006 at 08:35 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nonybird:
    I like the new look. But why am I receiving WaccoBB.net a day late?
    Which new look: one of the styles I linked to in my post, or the current "new look" as opposed to the old Yahoogroups format?

4. TopTop #4
    Deb

I like it just the way it is. Simple, easy to read, nice graphic on top. The colors are easy on the eye, the blue and orange provide a nice contrast. Please don't change it too much.

The only thing I would like to see change is the top format. I would suggest putting "tell a friend" on the top banner and move the mode drop down menu to the bottom so that space is eliminated so we don't have to scroll so far to get to the info we want. Every 1/4" counts for those of us with small screens.

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Deb:
    The only thing I would like to see change is the top format.
    I am aware of this. I don't know if it will happen on the first pass, but I plan condense all the header stuff as much as possible, including your suggestions.

6. TopTop #6
    lamorr

Parchment sounds nice and will offer good contrast.
    Dark backgounds are difficult on the eye for us 'boomers.'
    Thanks for all your goood work, Barry.
    ~Linda

7. TopTop #7
    bobafifi

Hi Barry,

To be honest, I still like the default vBulletin Blue the best. It's the easiest to navigate and least fatiguing on the eyes.

-Bob

8. TopTop #8
    theholly

I prefer Timerun, only because it's the easiest to see and read.
    Hollyberry
    Last edited by Barry; 05-10-2006 at 11:13 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    gailjane

I like the green or blue. They seem to be the easiest to read. I'll not miss the orange at the top of the page. Also, I'm disappointed to see the ad on the top. Feels like a yahoo sight. I do understand the need to make some money for your efforts but to see that ad first thing makes me not want to support what they are trying to sell. Gail

10. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gailjane:
    I like the green or blue. They seem to be the easiest to read.
    Can you tell the names of the skins you liked?
    Quote I'll not miss the orange at the top of the page.
    Got it! That only displays when using Internet Explorer. Firefox, which I recommend, shows a grey background. I'll be tuning the interface with the new upgrade. No big orange fields - I promise!
    Quote Also, I'm disappointed to see the ad on the top. Feels like a yahoo site. I do understand the need to make some money for your efforts but to see that ad first thing makes me not want to support what they are trying to sell. Gail
    Got it, also! I'll be posting about this at length later, but briefly: I want to devote full time to supporting and developing this site, as well as bringing it to other communities. Its seems like it is the way I can contribute the most to society and make the biggest difference and I feel called to do it.

And I need to eat and support my family... So I will be looking for the site to bring in some revenue. It will come from a few sources. Primarily I would like everybody to follow your lead, Gail, and to voluntarily become a supporting member at $2/month. Its not a lot to ask, but I know many people won't do that. So in addition, I will be asking people who use the system for a commercial use (ie advertise their business) to contribute something like $10/month (no one turned away for lack of funds). Plus, for the people who don't voluntarily support the site (ie free users), I will offer the option to others to sponsor them and give them the option to display an ad of some sort. I am hoping that I can constrain all ads to be local (so it doesn't feel like Yahoo). Supporting members will have the option to view these ads or to hide them.

In this case, (the Harmony banner) Harmony was kind enough to donate 2 All Weekend passes as an incentive for people to spread the word about WaccoBB.net. I felt this is altogether appropriate because I think the Harmony Festival is "our" county fair! This is more about promoting this site rather than the Harmony Festival.

While people continue to register at this site, very few of them
    (9 to be exact) are coming from people who referred them using the Tell a friend about WaccoBB.net! link at the top of the site. So if you use it, you have a pretty good chance of winning these valuable ($99 each) tickets!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-11-2006 at 09:43 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    sheindel jane

You go, Barry. So glad you're following a calling. We all benefit greatly from community and you facilitate its voice to and from all of us.
    I think it looks beautiful.

Sheindel Jane

12. TopTop #12
    mckindly

Barry I'd like to suggest you set up a Paypal account and link it to something permanent on the web site so people can do a quick and easy pay when they feel it is time.

Macy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    And I need to eat and support my family... So I will be looking for the site to bring in some revenue. It will come from a few sources. Primarily I would like everybody to follow your lead, Gail, and to voluntarily become a supporting member at $2/month. Its not a lot to ask, but I know many people won't do it
    Last edited by Barry; 05-12-2006 at 01:55 PM.

13. TopTop #13
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by macymcfarland:
    Barry I'd like to suggest you set up a Paypal account and link it to something permanent on the web site so people can do a quick and easy pay when they feel it is time.
    It's actually already there, Macy, but I haven't it publicized it yet. It's on your User Control panel here and I encourage everybody to check it out and see if it works! I guess I've been a little shy about asking for support while I am still tuning the site to my (and your) liking!

14. TopTop #14
    Peanut Yogi

Barry,

You can set the "shyness" on a table. You are providing an excellent service. Just this morning, as a matter of fact, while in the shower I thought that I wanted to send another note of thanks to you and the WaccoBB community. I have received sooo much (services, items, human connections) here. Last summer I sent you a check in the amount I can afford, and I will do so again this year.

Ask for what you want.
    Listen to what others need.
    Receive with gratitude.

Big Hug of Encouragement to You,
    Jennifer/PeanutYogi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    It's actually already there, Macy, but I haven't it publicized it yet. It's on your User Control panel here and I encourage everybody to check it out and see if it works! I guess I've been a little shy about asking for support while I am still tuning the site to my (and your) liking!