Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sabrina

Smart Meter issue revived in Sebastopol

FYI....a new article in the PD today. Also, Supervisors Rabbitt and McGuire have sent a letter to
    Michael Peevey of the CPUC requesting an "opt-out" choice for smart meters. The letter was also
    Cc'd to Assemblyman Huffman who is in favor of "opt-out". If you want a copy of the letter let me
    know and I'll forward it along.

____________________________________________________________________________________

PG&E SmartMeter issue revived in Sebastopol

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall

By BOB NORBERG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
    Published: Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 8:17 p.m.

The debate over PG&E's controversial SmartMeters will be renewed by the Sebastopol City Council on Tuesday,
    with opponents hoping that this time, with two new council members, a year-long moratorium would be enacted.

“We have new council people; there may be a different slant now,” said Vice Mayor Michael Kyes, who supported
    a moratorium on SmartMeters during his council campaign last fall. “There is also a lot of new information out.”

Kyes plans to ask the council to reconsider calling for a one-year moratorium on the installation of the controversial
    meters.

“I don't know whether the wireless transmission causes a problem or not, but a lot of people in the community
    believe it does,” Kyes said. “There is no economic reason for consumers to have it. ... I don't see any problem
    in putting it off for a year.”

Councilwoman Kathleen Shaffer, in a separate action, intends to ask the council to support Assembly Bill 37
    by Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, which would allow cities to opt out of PG&E's SmartMeter
    installation program.

PG&E says its meters are safe and the installation falls solely under the jurisdiction of the California Public
    Utilities Commission, not individual cities and counties.

Installations are continuing in Sonoma County. In Santa Rosa, 67,000 out of 90,000 electric meters and 56,000
    out of 75,000 natural gas meters have been upgraded, although installation in the Sebastopol area has lagged.

Nonetheless, Sandi Maurer of the Sebastopol-based EMF Safety Network an anti-SmartMeter group, backs
    both proposals.

“I am hoping they go for both; it is logical, it makes sense,” she said. “If you support the right to opt out, you
    should support a moratorium that will give the people of Sebastopol a better likelihood of being able to opt out.”

SmartMeters, which transmit usage data by radio waves, have been the subject of long, contentious and
    emotional debates before the Sebastopol council on four previous occasions.

Opponents contend the radio transmissions are not safe, the effects have not been studied adequately and
    the radio waves can make them ill.

On Oct. 7, the council decided the city does not have jurisdiction, that a moratorium would only be symbolic
    and it could open the city to costly litigation if the city tried to enforce it.

“In my opinion, the legal landscape hasn't changed since the last time we considered the subject,” said Mayor
    Guy Wilson, an attorney. “Different communities have done moratoriums, but I am not aware of any changes
    in the law.”

Wilson said he still opposes a moratorium, even as a symbolic gesture, but he said he sees value in debating
    the issue once again, a fourth time SmartMeters will be debated by the council.

“I want to get us to a point where the community would understand the city government cannot enact a
    moratorium that is enforceable,” Wilson said. “Nevertheless, there are people who want to see these passed,
    even if there is no jurisdiction, as a political statement. I don't think it is appropriate. It invites disrespect for
    the laws we do pass.”

At the October meeting, the vote against a moratorium was 4-1, with then-mayor Sarah Gurney casting the
    only vote in support.

Since that meeting, Mendocino and Marin counties and the Humboldt County city of Rio Dell have enacted
    moratoriums.

Wilson, Shaffer, and former council members Larry Robinson and Linda Kelley voted against the moratorium
    in October. Robinson and Kelley have since been replaced by Kyes and Councilman Patrick Slayter.

The council will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Sebastopol Youth Annex.
    Last edited by Alex; 02-14-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: