Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    2Bwacco

Calif. Saber tooth cat / Rocks polished by giant mammoths near Bodega

Twelve Thousand years ago, our little Russian River Bobcat would have been a nice snack for the extinct California saber-tooth cat. Herds of massive animals roamed the Farallon Plain (the ocean coast was further west (12 miles) due to the ice age). Near Bodega are rocks polished smooth by giant Columbian mammoths...

here's a link to the story - excerpt below --- https://articles.sfgate.com/2006-12-...mammoth-smooth

"Columbian mammoths, known scientifically as Mammuthus columbi, were among thousands of now-extinct animals that roamed what is now the San Francisco Bay Area as late as 12,000 years ago. The shoreline was 12 miles farther out, and a vast plain stretched from the Golden Gate, where a fast-moving river flowed, to the Farallon Islands.

Herds of mammoths, mastodons, camels, horses, llamas, elk, tapirs, moose and bison would have darkened the Farallon Plain. Mingling with these great herbivores were predators like the short-faced bear, saber-tooth cat, wolf packs and prides of California lion.

"It was a California Serengeti," Parkman said, "only our animals were even more diverse than the Serengeti's.""
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Claire

Re: Calif. Saber tooth cat / Rocks polished by giant mammoths near Bodega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 2Bwacco: View Post
    Twelve Thousand years ago, our little Russian River Bobcat would have been a nice snack for the extinct California saber-tooth cat. Herds of massive animals roamed the Farallon Plain (the ocean coast was further west (12 miles) due to the ice age). Near Bodega are rocks polished smooth by giant Columbian mammoths...""
    This reminded me of when I was a kid I hung out on a farm that had cattle. In one field there were big white oaks with large low-growing branches. The cattle had rubbed all the bark off and flattened the wood under every low branch. The wood was polished to a gorgeous gleam, smoothed and oiled by their rubbing over the years. It was my first taste of really fine wood.

4. TopTop #3
    geomancer

Re: Calif. Saber tooth cat / Rocks polished by giant mammoths near Bodega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by 2Bwacco: View Post
    Twelve Thousand years ago, our little Russian River Bobcat would have been a nice snack for the extinct California saber-tooth cat. Herds of massive animals roamed the Farallon Plain (the ocean coast was further west (12 miles) due to the ice age). Near Bodega are rocks polished smooth by giant Columbian mammoths...

here's a link to the story - excerpt below --- https://articles.sfgate.com/2006-12-...mammoth-smooth

"Columbian mammoths, known scientifically as Mammuthus columbi, were among thousands of now-extinct animals that roamed what is now the San Francisco Bay Area as late as 12,000 years ago. The shoreline was 12 miles farther out, and a vast plain stretched from the Golden Gate, where a fast-moving river flowed, to the Farallon Islands.

Herds of mammoths, mastodons, camels, horses, llamas, elk, tapirs, moose and bison would have darkened the Farallon Plain. Mingling with these great herbivores were predators like the short-faced bear, saber-tooth cat, wolf packs and prides of California lion.

"It was a California Serengeti," Parkman said, "only our animals were even more diverse than the Serengeti's.""
    Back when, the bison loved to rub themselves on large glacial erratic boulders that dot the northern plains. They became quite smooth over the centuries. I think that is where Parkman got the idea. The rocks in question are old sea stacks on the marine terrace that dates from the last interglacial. They can be seen from the Khortum Trail. The best polish I've seen is on the east side of the northernmost stack, the one with the slot down the middle.