Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    beachmum

Can I opt out of smart meter?

I emailed pg&e to say to not install at my house and I got a response that they wanted to speak with me on the phone about it. Do I have a choice here? I had stated that health reasons was why I don't want it but I have a feeling they are going to try and talk me down and will have all the answers. I just want to know what my rights are. I am one of the only houses left in my neighborhood who has not installed one of these.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    2Bwacco

Re: Can I opt out of smart meter?

A solar person said if you have solar panels you will not have the SmartMeter...seems to me the interface between the solar, direct current, inverter, alternating current, PG&E grid, and meter (not to mention the RF communication interface) is too complicated, and beyond the capabilities of the SmartMeter. Maybe you could contact a solar company and ask to have the minimal solar system installed.

I suspect any phone conversations you have with PG&E will be recorded. Maybe a good thing to keep all communications regarding this matter in writing for your future protection/information. Some of the individuals are not PG&E but contractors (so a written record becomes even more important).

PG&E has an office (payments) on Stony Point Road in Santa Rosa, and their headquarters is in San Francisco.

Good luck!

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Marty M

Hello Beachmum, 2bwacco and all others,

Thank you for the solar panel/smart meter info.

I'm going to put a note on my meter stating that I am in the process of having solar panels installed.

(I have an appointment for for a solar company to come and assess my home. It was supposed to be today, but they rescheduled for next week.)

Hope this is helpful.
    Marty

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Runningbare

For a variety of meter signs probably more effective than solar installation in progress, go here (top of the page): https://emfsafetynetwork.org/?page_id=649

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Marty MacMillan: View Post
    Hello Beachmum, 2bwacco and all others,

Thank you for the solar panel/smart meter info.

I'm going to put a note on my meter stating that I am in the process of having solar panels installed.

(I have an appointment for for a solar company to come and assess my home. It was supposed to be today, but they rescheduled for next week.)

Hope this is helpful.
    Marty

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    ShapeShifter

the other day, the meter maid was checking, so I asked him what the deal was and he said that the community made such a fuss that they are holding off on doing any more smart meters in Sebastopol (not sure about the surrounding areas tho), and that it will be some time before it's even on their agenda again... did we cause enough fuss? I hope so.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beachmum: View Post
    I emailed pg&e to say to not install at my house and I got a response that they wanted to speak with me on the phone about it. Do I have a choice here? I had stated that health reasons was why I don't want it but I have a feeling they are going to try and talk me down and will have all the answers. I just want to know what my rights are. I am one of the only houses left in my neighborhood who has not installed one of these.

10. Gratitude expressed by: