Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    kylemcsmile

Occidental Community Market! Year-round indoor market!!!

Name:  Occidental market poster.jpg
Views: 2427
Size:  27.1 KB

A new market is open in Occidental! The Occidental Community Market is located at the Occidental Community Center (aka the YMCA, at Graton Rd. and Bohemian Hwy.). The market is planned for Fridays year-round, rain or shine, and market proceeds go back to the immediate community.

If you haven't been to the market, or even Occidental for that matter, here is a brief summary....

Founded in 1876, Occidental was a stop on the North Pacific Coast Railroad connecting Cazadero to the Sausalito ferry. In return for donating right-of-way to the railroad, a local landowner named "Dutch Bill" Howards received a lifetime railway pass, and the station was named after him. The railway caused a rapid expansion of the timber industry, and by 1877 there were six sawmills in the Occidental area. As the redwood forests were logged out, homesteaders built homes and planted orchards and vineyards in their place. Homes in Occidental and nearby Camp Meeker were built as summer cabins by early developers Dutch Bill Howard and Boss Meeker. Vacationers escaped the foggy summers of San Francisco and the heat of the inland valleys to the cool of the forests.

Occidental has been the home of family-style dinners for over a century. Enterprising women of Occidental began cooking meals for the railroad workers, loggers, and train passengers. They originally prepared the meals in their own kitchens. The restaurants eventually grew out of the demand for their appealing cooking. Occidental has been unique for its high concentration of visionaries and famous artists during recent history, and was the hub of community-centered social movements in the late 1960s and early 1970s, giving rise to nearby communes such as Morningstar, Wheeler Ranch, Ocean Song, Star Mountain, and the OAEC.

In this quaint, mountain-like town nestled in the serene and majestic redwoods of Western Sonoma County, there is a beautiful growing community of skilled and happy people.

The Occidental Farmers' Markets are a wonderful experience. You'll find local herbalists, farmers, bakers, meats, mushrooms, and more! Kids can make art at a craft station. Come share a delicious hot meal with your family. There are lots of options to choose from! Connect with your local food and medicine growers. Bring your creative energy to the west county culture.

Now a NEW market, the "Occidental Community Market" has begun just down the road! Thanks to the Occidental Community Center (aka YMCA building, at the corner of Graton Rd. and Bohemian Hwy.), local townies and visitors have a place to gather through the winter too! This farmer's market meets Friday evenings, beginning at 3pm and going until people stop showing up (which could be as late as 8).

It is being run and marketed by a completely volunteer group of individuals. This market is also not to be confused with Occidental Bohemian Farmer's Market (the spring and summer market), run by another person. Market proceeds from the (new) Occidental Community Farmer's Market go back into the local community.

The purpose and hope for having this market is to create a space and time where people can come together to share their healing passions, crafts, music, good food, and conversation throughout the year. This is a community-run event meant to benefit not only Occidental, but anyone who can make it out. Help support your local farmers or just come out and have a good time with us!

Spots are still open if you're interested in setting up a booth or playing music! Just check in with the market manager when you come...
    Last edited by kylemcsmile; 11-15-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: miscommunications
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: The Occidental Friday Farmers Market Now open all year (indoors)!!!

You didn't say what time the market's open....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Geni Houston

The poster says starts at 3 every Friday but does not say how long

5. TopTop #4
    Alaria

I am a little confused about this farmer's market.

I fully support a year round venture, but I don't support the way this post villifies the current market manager and the way this market is setting out to call itself the same market while attempting to take over what already exists without regard to what has been created. Where is the sense of community there?

Last year you all organized a winter market, planned on running just through the winter and would stop when the Bohemian Farmers Market started in June, which seemed like a great idea.

Apparently the organizers of the winter market changed their mind and decided to continue, so there were two markets through the month of June on the same night in the little town of Occidental. So this next year, what's going to happen?

Is this what you would call a Coup d'etat? And who is behind this Coup d'etat. I have seen signs for this new market, saying that the community is asking for this, and it makes me wonder who is asking, as people seem to love the uptown market.

And this "lady from Healdsburg", not sure why she is being vilified.
    Actually, a little history for you...when the market was started by a small group of "locals" including this "lady from Healdsburg", it was started on a Saturday morning at the community center. That did not feel like the best spot for business, so it was moved to town, below Pignoli, formerly Bohemian Cafe, and now Barley and Hops. That too was on Saturday morning. Then it was moved to Friday night in its current location, a location where the shopkeepers benefit as well as the community and over the years, with hard work and community support has turned into quite the fun social event, enjoyed by many.

By the way, "the lady from Healdsburg" is not from Healdsburg. She actually has lived in Occidental for years. Maybe she does not live in Occidental now, but she lives in West County. Pretty sure the farmers market is not a huge money maker for her, but I personally support her making a stipend from it, if she in fact does.

With your concern about "some lady form Healdsburg" making any money, does that mean that anyone vending in the market has to also live in Occidental, or can the man I have been buying grapes from at the market who "lives in Healdsburg" continue to vend? Just wondering. Sure hope my peach man can come too!

Again, I am not against creating a gathering place in the winter in Occidental and a place to buy fresh local food in the winter. I live here, I love farmers markets, and I have for many years. Just not sure of the way that you all have gone about it in regards to what has already been established, and your comment about the current manager.
    What about a Wednesday night in the summer?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kylemcsmile: View Post
    Occidental's Friday Farmers Market has moved a few blocks down the street to its more permanent location The Occidental Community Center (The YMCA). Now the Market is all year, rain or shine, and the proceeds go to the immediate community instead of to some lady in Healdsburg....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Farmer Paul

This post should be taken down for it's cruel and misleading inaccuracies! The Occidental Bohemian Farmers' Market (OBFM) has NOT moved to the Community Center, and it is NOT a year-round market now. This post is for a NEW and entirely different market to be held at the Community Center. This NEW market is trying to capitalize on the hard work of the OBFM director, managers and vendors who have spent ten years building a tremendous and wonderful following of community support! The NEW market in the Community Center is unrelated and quite aggressively trying to usurp the success and positive name recognition of the OBFM.

As one of the Farmer vendors at the OBFM for the past three years, I must admit, I live in Sebastopol. So any money you have spent with me left Occidental. But, this NEW Market in the Community Center has invited me to sell there as well, so why are they concerned about "the proceeds going to some lady in Healdsburg"? Proceeds are going to farmers and vendors from all over West County and... "that lady" does NOT live in Healdsburg! She lives in Forestville... West County.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #6

Well, ultimately the whole globe is our community.
    But I believe when "thinking locally", West County and all its hard-working farmers and families, elders and babies, goats and chickens, trees and streams, is a great place to start.

Any kind of Us and Them attitude rather defeats the purpose and intent of things like local awareness and farmers markets and community spirit. What are we, Crips and Bloods, Healdsburg and Occidental? Totally absurd and divisive.

As far as I'm concerned, the more venues and opportunities for local (and I mean that in the expanded sense) farmers to offer their fine, fresh, hard-won bounty to all of us is a welcome boon. A shame that the new market had to be promoted in this misleading fashion, and imply a boundary war between Occidental and Healdsburg. Still Absurd.

However, I am happy for the opportunity for year-round access to what is proffered from this
    fruitful land; I only wish they would have the "new" market on another day, so that during the high season
    1) farmers would have twice the opportunities to sell
    2) shoppers could have two weekly opportunities to buy, when we can't make it on a Friday

Doesn't that sound like a nice idea, New Market People? I invite you to demonstrate your commitment to community by considering these points. By being inclusive instead of exclusive, and by sharing the opportunities rather than competing for them, we all win, no?

10. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Sebastopol chick

This post is sad, really. It's too bad that a community event/coordinator(s) are trying to slander the original Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market. The director of the OBFM is not in it to profit, nor does the director live in Healdsburg (who would really care if she did?). For the record, I do distinctly remember hearing from the director when your Market began...her words were encouraging to you all, and your endeavors.

My sadness comes from the lack of community spirit that this post shows. The folks in Occidental, have a hell of a lot more heart, and compassion than to try to sway others away from a wonderful event on Friday nights. From what I understand, you guys are taking the name of the Market, lying about when the original one is open, as well as where it is taking place. Don't we have enough LIES in our government, and society? Why do we need to contend with that when we want to get together with our community, buy locally produced goods, and enjoy one another's company? It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe the folks who are out to get the others, should wonder if it's helping them sleep better at night, or not.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hi Everybody,

Here's a note I received from the directors of the Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, I hope the two markets can find a way to coexist without competing.

Barry

Begin forwarded message:

Date: November 10, 2010 2:57:04 PM HST
    Subject: BULLETIN: Farmers Markets in Occidental

Hello all:

We at the Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market (OBFM) are writing to correct disinformation that is being circulated regarding our farmers market and a new market in operation at the Occidental Community Center.

The Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market is a non-profit registered with the State of California and a 501(c)6 registered with the IRS, and has been in operation in Occidental for the last 9 years. It had humble beginnings in 2002, but has since blossomed into a thriving market hosting small local farmers, meat producers, artisan food preparers, and area craftspeople. We regularly host 500+ people on Friday evenings in Occidental, June through October, and attract not only local residents, but people from all over the country. We’ve been fortunate to receive praise in nationwide publications like Sunset and Lonely Planet, as well as abundant coverage by local media outlets.

As a California Certified Farmers Market, we are required to work with the Department of Agriculture and our vendors to insure that they sell only produce they’ve grown themselves in California, or in our case, Sonoma County. This certification is designed to add value to consumers wishing to purchase food grown locally in order to reduce waste and pollution and to buoy the local economy.

It has come to our attention that a second entity is putting on another farmers market in Occidental, running year-round and also on Friday nights. We are happy to see other people promoting local agriculture, albeit at a market that’s not California Certified, and we are happier still to discover that this market is being undertaken to demonstrate use of the Occidental Community Center, as it is at risk of being shuttered due to budget concerns.

This second market has been promoting themselves as if they are associated with the OBFM—their community outreach via internet forums, paper flyers, and word of mouth has sought to capitalize on the hard-won success of the OBFM by suggesting that we have moved to the Occidental Community Center and are now operating year-round. Additionally, the market at the Community Center has, through the same channels, suggested that only their market benefits the “community,” only their market is not for profit, and that their market doesn’t exist to line the pockets of people from outside the area.

While we are hesitant to even respond to these types of inaccurate and unprofessional characterizations, they do generate ambiguity and confusion with our regulatory and area partners, as well as customers and community members. It is for that reason that we wish to state unequivocally that the market at the Occidental Community Center has no association with the OBFM and that the OBFM plans to operate our market in the same place and at the same time in our 2011 season, opening on June 3rd for our 10th year of operation. We’re looking forward to yet another year of fulfilling our mission of preserving the vital agricultural tradition of our community and connecting our community members to the food they consume.

We thank you for your attention to this matter and hope that you won’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market Board of Directors
    Greg Fisher
    Sherry Huss
    Kim Dow

14. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

15. TopTop #9
    MRL

Yes, please, to the original poster about the Community Market, please correct the impression you gave that you are replacing the Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market. Coexist and serve all of us year round, that would be wonderful. If you continue to sow division and competition, I will boycott the Community Market.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Here's a note I received from the directors of the Occidental Bohemian Farmers Market.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, I hope the two markets can find a way to coexist without competing.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 11-14-2010 at 01:48 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #10
    kylemcsmile

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alaria: View Post
    I am a little confused about this farmer's market.

I fully support a year round venture, but I don't support the way this post villifies the current market manager and the way this market is setting out to call itself the same market while attempting to take over what already exists without regard to what has been created. Where is the sense of community there?

Last year you all organized a winter market, planned on running just through the winter and would stop when the Bohemian Farmers Market started in June, which seemed like a great idea.

Apparently the organizers of the winter market changed their mind and decided to continue, so there were two markets through the month of June on the same night in the little town of Occidental. So this next year, what's going to happen?

Is this what you would call a Coup d'etat? And who is behind this Coup d'etat. I have seen signs for this new market, saying that the community is asking for this, and it makes me wonder who is asking, as people seem to love the uptown market.

And this "lady from Healdsburg", not sure why she is being vilified.
    Actually, a little history for you...when the market was started by a small group of "locals" including this "lady from Healdsburg", it was started on a Saturday morning at the community center. That did not feel like the best spot for business, so it was moved to town, below Pignoli, formerly Bohemian Cafe, and now Barley and Hops. That too was on Saturday morning. Then it was moved to Friday night in its current location, a location where the shopkeepers benefit as well as the community and over the years, with hard work and community support has turned into quite the fun social event, enjoyed by many.

By the way, "the lady from Healdsburg" is not from Healdsburg. She actually has lived in Occidental for years. Maybe she does not live in Occidental now, but she lives in West County. Pretty sure the farmers market is not a huge money maker for her, but I personally support her making a stipend from it, if she in fact does.

With your concern about "some lady form Healdsburg" making any money, does that mean that anyone vending in the market has to also live in Occidental, or can the man I have been buying grapes from at the market who "lives in Healdsburg" continue to vend? Just wondering. Sure hope my peach man can come too!

Again, I am not against creating a gathering place in the winter in Occidental and a place to buy fresh local food in the winter. I live here, I love farmers markets, and I have for many years. Just not sure of the way that you all have gone about it in regards to what has already been established, and your comment about the current manager.
    What about a Wednesday night in the summer?
    The following is a letter sent to all concerned, privately and publicly, about the posting of the
    “Occidental Community Market!!! Year-Round Indoor Market!!!”

My name is Kyle Martin and I am a born-and-raised Sonoma County resident now living in Occidental.
    I am a volunteer of the New Market “The Occidental Community Farmers Market” (OCFM). I am writing
    to you to communicate how sorry I am about the post I made a few days ago. It was insensitive to the
    hard work and good intentions of the market (OBFM) the community who support it and the managers
    who organize it. I want all to know how compassionate I am for all who are upset by my post.

The truth
    is I really enjoy the OBFM and have gone to it almost every week for years. Ask anyone who knows me
    and see that I have been one to boast about how lucky we are to have the best market in Sonoma
    County and that I ment the (OBFM)!!!

I don’t want there to be rival markets and I am happy to have
    multiple markets.
    The more the merrier!!! I am volunteering for the OCFM because I want there to be

community happening in the winter. A space in town for whole families to experience art, music and
    farm fresh everything, not to mention to help the Community Center stay open!!!

Occasionally you might
    say something you regret in public…..
    I said it over the internet. I got carried away, I feel sick

about it and I sincerely apologize to all I offended.
    I am only trying to help community happen.

I would like to invite you to read the now amended posting (which is quoted below)
    now that is in my clear mind what I meant to
    portray about the market.

Thank you
    With love,
    Kyle

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kylemcsmile with a clear mind: View Post
Views: 1250
    A new market is open in Occidental! The Occidental Community Market is located at the Occidental Community Center (aka the YMCA, at Graton Rd. and Bohemian Hwy.). The market is planned for Fridays year-round, rain or shine, and market proceeds go back to the immediate community.

If you haven't been to the market, or even Occidental for that matter, here is a brief summary....

Founded in 1876, Occidental was a stop on the North Pacific Coast Railroad connecting Cazadero to the Sausalito ferry. In return for donating right-of-way to the railroad, a local landowner named "Dutch Bill" Howards received a lifetime railway pass, and the station was named after him. The railway caused a rapid expansion of the timber industry, and by 1877 there were six sawmills in the Occidental area. As the redwood forests were logged out, homesteaders built homes and planted orchards and vineyards in their place. Homes in Occidental and nearby Camp Meeker were built as summer cabins by early developers Dutch Bill Howard and Boss Meeker. Vacationers escaped the foggy summers of San Francisco and the heat of the inland valleys to the cool of the forests.

Occidental has been the home of family-style dinners for over a century. Enterprising women of Occidental began cooking meals for the railroad workers, loggers, and train passengers. They originally prepared the meals in their own kitchens. The restaurants eventually grew out of the demand for their appealing cooking. Occidental has been unique for its high concentration of visionaries and famous artists during recent history, and was the hub of community-centered social movements in the late 1960s and early 1970s, giving rise to nearby communes such as Morningstar, Wheeler Ranch, Ocean Song, Star Mountain, and the OAEC.

In this quaint, mountain-like town nestled in the serene and majestic redwoods of Western Sonoma County, there is a beautiful growing community of skilled and happy people.

The Occidental Farmers' Markets are a wonderful experience. You'll find local herbalists, farmers, bakers, meats, mushrooms, and more! Kids can make art at a craft station. Come share a delicious hot meal with your family. There are lots of options to choose from! Connect with your local food and medicine growers. Bring your creative energy to the west county culture.

Now a NEW market, the "Occidental Community Market" has begun just down the road! Thanks to the Occidental Community Center (aka YMCA building, at the corner of Graton Rd. and Bohemian Hwy.), local townies and visitors have a place to gather through the winter too! This farmer's market meets Friday evenings, beginning at 3pm and going until people stop showing up (which could be as late as 8).

It is being run and marketed by a completely volunteer group of individuals. This market is also not to be confused with Occidental Bohemian Farmer's Market (the spring and summer market), run by another person. Market proceeds from the (new) Occidental Community Farmer's Market go back into the local community.

The purpose and hope for having this market is to create a space and time where people can come together to share their healing passions, crafts, music, good food, and conversation throughout the year. This is a community-run event meant to benefit not only Occidental, but anyone who can make it out. Help support your local farmers or just come out and have a good time with us!

Spots are still open if you're interested in setting up a booth or playing music! Just check in with the market manager when you come...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-15-2010 at 11:07 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

19. TopTop #11
    TheThinMan

NEW Occidental Farmers Market

I read the original post and nowhere saw anything saying or implying it was the Bohemian market! I guess I'm not reading enough into it? It specifically stated in caps no less, "NEW" market!!! Doesn't that mean new, and not the same? I also could find no reference to any person not living locally benefiting from the market? Are the people complaining referring to some other post or source, or am I again not reading enough into the original post by Kyle!

Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.

20. TopTop #12
    OBFM

Re: NEW Occidental Farmers Market

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TheThinMan: View Post
    I read the original post and nowhere saw anything saying or implying it was the Bohemian market! I guess I'm not reading enough into it? It specifically stated in caps no less, "NEW" market!!! Doesn't that mean new, and not the same? I also could find no reference to any person not living locally benefiting from the market? Are the people complaining referring to some other post or source, or am I again not reading enough into the original post by Kyle!
    The original post by Kyle was amended to remove the erroneous information and include additional info, including the addition of the "NEW" descriptor; his original post no longer appears on this thread. We appreciate his efforts to rectify misleading information.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

MRL
  22. TopTop #13
    lindasw

Re: Occidental Community Market! Year-round indoor market!!!

so, its the occidental farmer's market, year-round at the occidental community center?
    very cool!
    farmer's market at the community center, not the new community market in sebastopol...right?
    thanks!

Views: 2427

Founded in 1876, ...

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Occidental Community Market! Year-round indoor market!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lindasw: View Post
    so, its the occidental farmer's market, year-round at the occidental community center?
    very cool!
    farmer's market at the community center, not the new community market in sebastopol...right?
    thanks!

The post about the Occidental Community Market that started this thread was from 2010. Anybody know the current status of Community Markets/Farmers Markets in Occidental?