Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    irisorchid

I want to convert bike to electric, has anyone done their own?

I want to convert my bike to go up hills and save my knees. I looked online and there are lots of kits but I don't know what brands are good vs bad, how to determine the battery size I will need, ease of installation, quality kits vs poor quality, problems, reliability, and can I easily switch from lead acid to lithium down the line when I have more money, plus other questions that I don't even know to ask yet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: I want to convert bike to electric, has anyone done their own?

I have experience doing a bike conversion, though more as an engineer where I designed my own drive system. I'm also currently in close contact with a few local people in the electric vehicle and motor businesses, so could help point you to resources (both material and know-how). I would suggest starting at eCycles and Thunder Struck Motors in Sebastopol. Both are in the former Ford dealership building.

Switching from lead-acid to lithium is not a big deal. Mainly just requires $$$.

Good luck! (and feel free to email me with questions)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by irisorchid: View Post
    I want to convert my bike to go up hills and save my knees. I looked online and there are lots of kits but I don't know what brands are good vs bad, how to determine the battery size I will need, ease of installation, quality kits vs poor quality, problems, reliability, and can I easily switch from lead acid to lithium down the line when I have more money, plus other questions that I don't even know to ask yet.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email