Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Tars

No Feedback yet on the new format?

Well, OK, I'm not shy about giving my opinion...

Personally, I liked the old style or skin better...maybe I was just used to it. For some reason when I log on here now, I get the "recent posts" page. Is that the default, or is there some way to just start out at the forums listing?

The boxes that text is displayed in seem a bit scrunched together to me - text from separate posts seems scrunched together...not much"white space" between posts, which can be a bit distracting.

These aren't complaints mind you. I assume you're still working on layout design. Just wanted to give a little constructive feedback.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    lynn

Re: No Feedback yet on the new format?

Awh, shucks...

I liked the other style MUCH better...
    And I was just thinkin' the other day about what makes certain boards more pleasant and user friendly...And that I liked Wacco's design...

Just saw the new one today...It's just dull looking...

Sorry...

4. TopTop #3
    KellytheSinger

I like it Barry. And this is the first site transition I've see that I like, so that is saying a lot.

5. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

I have yet to design the appearance! This is the raw appearance of the site. I have yet to wacco-ize it. I needed to put up the site before it was fully ready because of our little (not!) malware problem of last week.

So a full design is coming. I've all but signed a deal to work with a local professional design firm to give the site a visual overhaul, probably in October. A new logo is coming too.

On the other hand, there's lots of new functionality here, some of which I've exposed, and some of which I'll introduce later, once we've had a chance to digest all the new toys!

As always, your feedback is most welcome, both visually and functionally. So let me know what you think!

Barry

6. TopTop #5
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I needed to put up the site before it was fully ready because of our little (not!) malware problem of last week.
    I'm curious about the "malware". I saw someone make reference to a Mac problem (as opposed to PC?). Was it a virus, or some PHP, or other script, or what?

Just wondering 'cause I'm considering using vBulletin myself. Did you upgrade to version 4?

Hope you don't mind me prying for info...

7. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    I'm curious about the "malware". I saw someone make reference to a Mac problem (as opposed to PC?). Was it a virus, or some PHP, or other script, or what?

Just wondering 'cause I'm considering using vBulletin myself. Did you upgrade to version 4?

Hope you don't mind me prying for info...
    I don't really know what the malware was. In fact I'm not 100% sure there was really a problem. Sometimes a site can get listed in a database of sites with problems, and the fact that it's listed causes it to appear that is has a problem, even though there is no problem.

I saw enough evidence to suggest there was a problem, but it wasn't conclusive, and I never saw where a file was changed, etc. I decided to not take a chance and take the site down.

I use a Mac so I didn't see a problem. I did get reports from a few users (like 3 or 4) that their internet security software detected a problem.

There are all sorts of malware, many of which just target servers, or otherwise don't pose a problem to users that visit a website.

Luckily, we had a new site close enough, based on VB4 with lots of mods that was almost ready on a clean server. So I decided to switch and completely shutdown the problem.

I can assure you, I'll take online security even more seriously now!

8. TopTop #7
    rosedarlin

I realize that you haven 't "Wacco-ed" your site yet but this hurts my eyes to try to read through it. I'll check back with the site in a few days but other than that small detail I love Waccobb.

9. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rosedarlin: View Post
    I realize that you haven 't "Wacco-ed" your site yet but this hurts my eyes to try to read through it. I'll check back with the site in a few days but other than that small detail I love Waccobb.
    Thanks Rosedarlin'!
    We'll be tweaking small things over the next few weeks, including making sure everything is working. Again, a big visual refresh is coming in October.

10. TopTop #9
    "Mad" Miles

Hey Wacoons!

It's good to be back. I'd been jonesing for my extended daily waccobb fix.

As for the look of this new baby. I agree with much of the
    already given constructive criticism. Other things I miss. The "New Posts" and "Mark All Read" icons.

I'm loving the "spell correct as I type" function! Firefox and Facebook have it, Hotmail on IE doesn't. The dictionaries are pretty limited though.

As for the crunchy appearance of this?

The graphic quality on Firefox is gritty, compared to the smooth visuals on Internet Explorer. That's part of my reference to the crunchiness of the look on this site. Another cause is the pedestrian graphic design.

But graphic design artists? They can do beautiful work. I look forward to seeing the results.

Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 08-13-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Delete extraneous commentary

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #10
    Tars

You definitely have a Stream-of-consciousness style of posting.
    Last edited by Tars; 08-12-2010 at 10:34 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Yup...

Kinda sounds like a blog...

15. TopTop #12
    "Mad" Miles

Thanks Tars,

I'll take that as a compliment, whether intended, or not.

Since this is about conscious community, stream of consciousness can't be a bad thing.

But if you look at the way my post was organized, you'll see some thematic groupings, and a narrative. There's actually a tiny bit of thought that went into the composition, and editing.

One dynamic I struggle with is balancing clarity and succinctness, with comprehensive coverage of the topic in a way that is accessible to a moderately attentive reader. Covering the bases so to speak.

Good to have this resource back. Let's hope a graphic tune up keeps us engaged and participating. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Well Barry, if it looks like a blog, acts like a blog, and quacks like a blog, it must be a, duck?

Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 08-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.

16. TopTop #13
    "Mad" Miles

In response to this, and a private communication with Barry, I've pared down my two posts on this thread.

17. TopTop #14
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by "Mad" Miles: View Post
    In response to this, and a private communication with Barry, I've pared down my two posts on this thread.
    That sounds ominous! I hope it wasn't imposed on you. I hope it wasn't a result of anything I said. I certainly didn't intend my post here as a criticism or complaint. I meant it in a friendly way.

18. TopTop #15
    mckindly

I am just getting around to trying to post a new thread, and I found it completely baffling! Is there a chance a "your new post" button could be added to the home page. Or something similar. It took me 15 minutes to find the categories, then remember to select the one I wanted to post to then do the new post button.

Secondly, I miss the "location" information in post headings. I live in Healdsburg, and it was often very convenient to just look in the heading to see where the posting was referring to to see if I wanted to read it.

Thanks whoever is webmaster these days, for listening.
    Macy

19. TopTop #16
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mckindly: View Post
    I am just getting around to trying to post a new thread, and I found it completely baffling! Is there a chance a "your new post" button could be added to the home page. Or something similar. It took me 15 minutes to find the categories, then remember to select the one I wanted to post to then do the new post button.

Secondly, I miss the "location" information in post headings. I live in Healdsburg, and it was often very convenient to just look in the heading to see where the posting was referring to to see if I wanted to read it.

Thanks whoever is webmaster these days, for listening.
    Macy
    The current plan is that registered members will land on the Bulletin Board page by default, where there is a Post button. This, along with a visual re-design should be available next week.

The return of the location information (along with event dates) will return as well, but that will be later this year.

Barry